Cover Image: Before I Let Go

Before I Let Go

Deep and dark and unforgettable. I sat on this for too long before reading, so don't make my mistake!
I received this book a long time ago and a while after the publishing date. Therefore I will not be giving feedback as not only would it no longer be relevant, but also I didn't get round to reading it. My thanks to the published for the opportunity, as always this is much appreciated.
A bit of a mystery. A bit of a horror story. An odd place and some odd people.
An honest and touching portrayal of bipolar disorder. Kyra, though dead, was the character I was drawn to. The rest of the characters were not captivating for me.
This was a book that left me feeling very...meh. It tried to tackle some pretty heavy/deep issues such as suicide and grief, but it was very clumsily handled.
I found myself getting immediately sucked into this story by the writing and how eerie and haunting it felt. I think the pace for it was exactly what I was looking for in a story such as this one. It might feel like a slow start, but would definitely recommend pushing through!
I tried reading this book but sadly I didn't make it very far while reading this book. I think that the different point of views made it a bit difficult to understand . I usually love this author's books and I hoped that this one would work out for me.
In Before I Let Go, I found that Marieke Kijkamp conveys her characters emotions in such a way that makes me as a reader feel like I'm going through what the characters are going through. She has such an amazing talent for immersing the reader in the character's experiences.
The story was good, but I guess I was expecting more. I will read more books by this author as I like her writing style.
I had a little trouble getting into this story, and set it aside. I returned to it and setlled in to this YA (but can be read by adults!) mystery. Haunting -- I'm glad I returned to it!
Not sure I'd let my young teen read it, but okay for older teens and those older.
Thank you for my review copy!
I quite enjoyed ‘Before I let Go’, a story of mental illness and small town mentality, told in the first person by 17 year old Corey Johnson. The story is set in Lost Creek, a small town in Alaska, where outsiders are shunned.
Corey is best friends with Kyra. Kyra suffers from bipolar and even though she has spent her whole life in Lost Creek this close-knit closed community rejects her. They don’t have time for someone who has episodes of depression and rage. Episodes that ruffle the town.
Corey’s family move from the town and she vows to Kyra that she will return but something happens before she can return to the town and Kyra is found dead. Corey returns for the funeral but Lost Creek has changed and she is viewed with suspicion.

The story had a great mystery and an eerie feel in this cold Alaskan town on the edge of the woods, where the skies are always dark.
I loved the supernatural element and there were a few moments of real suspense.
My only complaint is the story kept going back in time to show the relationship between Corey and Kyra and how Kyra’s illness affected her and these chapters started to become too repetitious in their content.

Before I Let Go is an eerie story about a small community and the lengths it will go to to protect itself.

*I received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley
This book was a good, fast read with relatable characters and a fair amount of suspense.  But the real hook in the book for me was the stunning setting and Nijkamp's descriptions of the Alaskan tundra.  I am always looking for book for my reluctant-reader teen.  this might be one she would actually enjoy!
I loved this.

I was utterly lost in it. It is not an action based novel but it’s a beautiful and compelling work of characterisation.

Perfect.

I realise this isn’t a helpful review but I don’t want to spoil it. Go. Now. Buy. Read.
Thank you NetGalley for this opportunity to read this book. Unfortunately I just couldn’t get into it and DNF
I went into this knowing the basics. But enough that I was intrigued. I wanted to know was Kyra's death more suspicious than the town let on.
Although I was getting through this quick enough I still felt something was missing. I was struggling to connect with the characters.
By halfway I was more interest. I felt so sorry for Kyra. I just wanted to protect her. Take her away from that town.
This is such a heartbreaking story. Discovering how Kyra felt and how she was treated by an entire town of people.
The whole town filled with delusional people who never cared for a girl who needed help, needed someone to love her and put her needs first. Instead of treating her the way they did.
Kyra deserved better.

The writing threw me off at times. I liked the diary entries and the letters. Adding Kyra's voice was an important part of this. But the random parts what were like someone describing a scene (idk how to really describe what the chapters were) but those pages just did nothing for me. I don't think it added anything.

I will be checking out future work by Marieke. She discusses such important topics. I'm interested in what she discusses next.
Corey and her best friend Kyra grew up together in the small town of Lost Creek, Alaska. After Kyra was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, the citizens of Lost Creek began to fear her and believed she was dangerous. When her family moved away from Lost Creek, Corey promised she would keep in touch and be there for her friend. Seven months later, after failing to keep her promise, Corey found out that Kyra died of suicide. Corey returned to Lost Creek to get answers on what had happened to her best friend.

Corey knew that Kyra was more than her bipolar diagnosis, but the rest of Lost Creek did not recognize the multifaceted aspects of Kyra's personality. Therefore, Kyra's bipolar disorder was a defining characteristic of her in this book. While I cannot comment on the novel's representation of bipolar disorder, the way the town treated Kyra's bipolar disorder was creepy, cultish, and deeply unsettling.

Books with asexual representation are hard to find, so I was looking forward to reading a book with an asexual protagonist. But sadly, there was no asexual representation because Nijkamp conflated asexual and aromantic orientations. I am not saying that Corey is not also asexual, but she was clearly aromantic, which was never mentioned by name in the book. Overall, I am giving this book 1 star.
An interesting story that has a beautiful setting. Overall this was a good read but there were some parts that weren't to my taste. I felt that the story was a bit predictable and sometimes the characters were a little irritating. Towards the middle of the book I found that I was gathering momentum with my reading it just took a little while to get into.
Unfortunately I didn't finish this book, as I couldn't get into it - nothing against the author or book, just not to my personal taste. Thank you for the opportunity to read it.
This book was fantastic! I felt like I never truly knew what was going on or what was going to happen as the story continued and this was a great thing. Too often I find myself guessing how a book ends or figuring out what happens without meaning to, but this book wasn't easy to figure out and definitely had me sympathizing with the characters and the situations they found themselves in.

Their friendship, which seemed so solid at first, started to unravel and the back and forth of each chapter let loose the knowledge that both girls had their different faults and that they weren't the perfect pair of friends that Corey thought they were. She thought she knew Kyra but the people of Lost are determined to prove to her that maybe she didn't.

The twists and turns in the book are great and I truly loved it.
I read the first book this author published and wasn't very impressed. My job is to pick out young adult books to feature in our store during the holiday season so I thought I would give her another chance. Glad I did!

This should fly off the shelves at Christmas and I can't wait until my teenagers come in to tell me how much they loved it!
A little strange and hard to follow but I didn’t hate it. I liked that it had a little creepiness added to it. I also appreciate that appreciate that it emphasized mental health issues. I did enjoy “This is Where it Ends” much more though.