Before I Let Go

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jan 2019

This was an odd one- I’m not sure that I enjoyed this novel but I also didn’t dislike it. It’s a little slow, and a little weird, and has so many TWs I’m not sure I can list them.

It’s a good novel with an interesting premise and a peculiar plot that ought to have grabbed me but it all felt a little bland. A shame.
I’m looking at this book through a different lens than most of the people reviewing, I think. I didn’t see this book as a thriller or suspense (which is one of my fav genres) but as a book focused on the battle of mental wellness and trying to make sense of the non-sensical.

I’m always hesitant to read books with mental health rep and only read ones by authors I trust. I trust Marieke because of her own experiences and the fact that This is Where It Ends nearly broke me.

I interpreted the story as a look at how the world (or a small community) sees a person with mental health concerns...not a sum of their parts but defined by one piece of them (see: allegory with art). I saw a close friend try to make sense of suicide and other’s grief processes.

This book is dark and deep (but hello, did you read her debut? You should expect this). I’m still mulling it over in my mind.
I did enjoy this book but in some places it was a little slow. Overall it was a good story.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this book!
This story unfortunately felt very rushed in certain spots. I enjoyed it overall but found myself wishing certain things had been explored more and other had just been omitted. I did really like the approach of using multiple POVs to tell the story.
I struggled a bit with this story honestly. The description sounded promised but somewhere along the way, it lost its magic a little and the end felt like it was missing something. Overall, I enjoyed the author's style, just found the story a bit...predictable maybe. Was hoping for more.
I wasn't too sure about this one, but since a friend told me that I had to read this book, I figured I would give it a shot. I'm so happy that I did because she was right, I loved it! I couldn't get enough of this story/plot. I had to know what was going to happen next. Lovely writing and I loved the character development as well. Another great read!
A book that had my attention from the get go! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.and would recommend to friends
A predictable thriller where a teen commits suicide and the friend left behind doesn't believe it to be true.

Whilst I desperately wanted to like the book after reading the synopsis and looking forward to starting it I just didn't enjoy it. Unfortunately the story felt flat and the characters under developed and therefore I was not invested
I was really looking forward to reading Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp when I originally downloaded it from Netgalley, then life got in the way, and I just had the chance to get things finished. The is first book my Marieke Nijkamp that I’ve read, and I really enjoy her writing style.

To get into the meat and potatoes part, because I know what you really want to know about, is the book. I had a difficult time liking Corey, but really enjoyed the flashback parts of the story. Corey, after moving away, seems to have forgotten Kyra until Kyra is no longer there. Multiple times throughout the story she acknowledges stacks of unopened letters, but is mad at the town of Lost Creek for not helping Kyra when she needed it.

The book didn’t really clear up any of the problems throughout. Some one set fire to the guesthouse with Corey inside, but other than referring to her chest and throat hurting from smoke, nothing else is said about it. I feel like the story could have been better balanced, and actually closed up some storylines. While we knew from the beginning it would only be so many days, nothing was really resolved, which left me wishing for a bit more closure to a stand alone novel.
Best friends Corey and Kyra were inseparable in their snow covered town of Lost Creek, Alaska..
When Corey moves away, she makes Kyra promise to stay strong during the long, dark winter, and wait for her return.
Just days before Corey is to return home to visit, Kyra dies.. Corey is devastated and confused. The entire town talks about Kyra's death in a hushed tone about the lost daughter, saying her death was meant to be. They push Corey away like she is a stranger. Corey knows that something is very wrong. With every hour, her suspicion grows. But trying to piece together the death of her best friend proves to be more difficult than lighting the sky in an Alaskan winter...
This was a interesting read, I was invested to find out what happened to Kyra, but on the other hand it wasn't one of the best stories I have ever read.. I tried to stay into the book, I praise the author for trying to hold my attention, I just felt that it was a very slow coming to the suspenseful portions of the story. I however didn't really enjoy the whole plot, I did enjoy the setting as I am a North Carolina girl who has always wanted to visit Alaska..
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book..
I’ve determined I don’t like this author’s writing style and cannot give a good review for her. Sorry, I can’t.
I was curious enough to find out what happened to our main character's best friend. I really and truly was. I just....couldn't get into the story as much as I had wanted to. I ended up not finishing this novel.
I really enjoyed this book. I was so gripped that I ended up reading it in two sittings. It had such a spooky atmosphere and all the characters were really creepy. I also really enjoyed the fact that there were various storytelling formats mixed in, such as letters and phone calls.

The only real problem I had was that there were some things that didn't get explained, but that didn't bother me too much, and overall I loved this book, and can't wait to see what Marieke comes out with next.
On the one hand, it has a very interesting premise. But a lot of the time, I had no idea what was going on, and that stayed with me for the rest of the book. It just felt so all over the place. The characters were meh. The plot was confusing.
I was not a fan of this book. It was cliche and uncreative. I also didn't like how she used LGBTQ topics. I'm all for equality, especially in literature, but not the way the author used it.
This is a story about two girls who live in the small Alaskan village of Lost Creek, Corey and Kyra. They have been best friends all growing up. Kyra is an outcast in the town which makes her friendship to Corey even more special to her. When Corey gets accepted to college and moves away Kyra makes her promise that she'll stay in contact and come back for her. Corey does, but life gets in the way and she returns fewer letters than she wants. A couple days before Corey is scheduled to go back she gets a call telling her that Kyra was found, deceased, under the ice in a local pond. That doesn't make any sense to Corey. They grew up around and on that pond. Corey goes back to Lost Creek, AK to say her goodbye and to try to understand.  It was a real page turner for me. I was trying to figure out if it was accident, suicide, murder or even something magical. However, I was so disappointed with the ending. I felt like there were just so many unanswered questions. Questions that arose during the story but never resolved.
I have been on the hunt for the next great YA book, but unfortunately, this wasn't it for me.  I didn't hate it, I didn't love it.  The plot was an interesting idea and centered around the following ideas: bipolar, friendship, suicide, family, and loss.  It took place in Alaska which is one of the reasons I chose the book.

Cory had to move away from her best friend, Kyra.  Cory always promised to return, but right before her planned visit, Kyra was found dead under the ice in the lake.  The townspeople didn't understand Kyra's strange ways and considered her an outcast for most of her life.  Cory set out to learn if Kyra really did commit suicide or was she murdered by someone in the town?  She knew the people in town were hiding something, and she wasn't leaving until she figured it out.

I gave this book three stars.  I wanted to know what happened, so I stuck with it, but I could have easily skipped to the end of the book to learn why Kyra died.  I personally wouldn't recommend it to my middle school students, but I have a feeling that there are kids out there who would like this sort of book.
Instead of the reunion they had planned, Corey returned to Lost, Alaska, where she had lived her entire life until 7 months ago when she moved away, to attend her best friend Kyra's funeral.  When she tries to investigate her friend's bizarre death, she finds that the entire town now considers Kyra to have been a prophet and they turn against Corey so she doesn't find out and expose the truth.
This book was simply okay for me. I loved how the story kept me guessing and seeking answers but the writing style just wasn’t my taste.
I had a hard time getting into this book, it was interesting as first, but as the book went on, the plot just kind of got away from me.