Before I Let Go

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jan 2019

I would highly recommend this book, I read it in a day as I literally couldn't put it down, would definitely read more by you
Before I Let Go was really well written and characters I really connected with. The writing flowed beautifully and was terrifying at some points - which I loved.

My only complaint about this book is that is talked about the mystery of the town, and at times made it sound as if it was the cause of everything, but I never learned what that mystery was. It was disappointing.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to others.
This was a really unique story that I really enjoyed. It follows Corey in the present and both girls in the past sense, through flashbacks.

Corey has been waiting for her visit home. Waiting for the day when she can hug her best friend again, but that day doesn't come. Just days before she returns home Kyra dies.

Still wanting to return, Corey embarks on her trip. When she lands however, nothing is as she has expected it to be. She's no longer embraced as a member of the community, but is now treated like an outsider. All of her questions about Kyra's death go unanswered or ignored all together.

Corey wants to know what happened to her best friend. She wants to know how she could die just before they were reunited. What she learns is nothing she ever could have expected.
An odd mix of realism and fantasy. There were elements which were based firmly in realism where a bipolar girl was using art as a coping mechanism, a town takes her work to be prophetic and then goes slightly collectively mad to make sure it happens that way.  All the time, she is really crying out for support, therapy and medication.  Along side that are the fantasy elements where Kyra manages to paint scenes before they have happened and flowers bloom in midwinter along with whispering voices and ghostly moments.
I liked that it included an asexual character which is really unusual.
I think there could have been more exploration of whether the Hendersons were getting a kickback from the mining reopening in town and whether they were using Kyra's images as a way to reconcile the town to the industry. By the end of the novel, Mr Henderson seems to have gone completely over the edge in a very extreme scene.
I had read Ms. Nijkamp's other book and loved it, I could not wait till I got to read this book. It begins with Corey going back home to Alaska to attend her best friends funeral.
Supposedly, Kyra committed suicide...but Corey is not so sure. The townspeople all said that it was foreordained and that Corey needed to let it be. But Corey can not, she feels that she needs to find the truth for her best friend.
The writing is haunting but the story fell flat between the different mediums: Letters, phone calls, an odd theaterical screen playish chapters, and then the main storyteller.
It was a messy book but I got through it. Overall a good story. But the storytelling was not that great.
Before I Let Go is a story of friendships and secrets, buried friends and the secrets buried with them. It is a dark YA story of the love and loss of a best friend. It is about a community of secrets.

Pros: I was hooked when I read the blurb and, in general, enjoyed the book. It was heartfelt and sad and full of suspense all at the same time. It kept me wanting more and glued to the pages.

Cons: I didn't feel an incredibly close connection with any of the characters as I didn't feel like much character development was given. At the end I was left wanting resolution and I don't feel as if I found it.

Before I Let Go was for the most part a solid read and I will definitely read more by the author.

Special thanks to Netgalley and SourceFire Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This book was an interesting mystery thriller novel; revolving around two friends. When one of the friends moves away; she makes her other friend promise to wait for her throughout the cold dark winter. However before she gets home; her friend dies. The story then follows the investigation and suspicion following the death of the friend. The plot was interesting yet perhaps a bit drawn out. I personally could tell where the story was going for the beginning. The setting for the book was atmospheric and I loved the idea of the snow covered alaska as a place for everything to occur. Overall I would still recommend this book, but it does lack some character development if you like character based stories.
I receive this for honest review.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for his next book.
I generally don't read suspense but this description got me intrigued. I really liked this book, but did feel at times certain plot was repeated.  I was on the edge, but was never pushed over the edge (this is something i was hoping).

All the best to author and publisher, I really enjoyed this book.

Thank you Netgalley for ARC.
I was so drawn to the cover of this book and the excerpt that I requested a copy. Sadly it was hard for me to finish this book. If I can describe how it made me feel, I’d say unsatisfied. Like when you watch a movie trailer and it looks awesome but then you watch the whole movie and it is really bad. The plot was a little flat and overall it left me expecting more. I have to say that the story was well written that’s why I’m giving 3 star.
Unfortunately this wasn't the book for me, I felt that it has promise but lacked in originality and pace. It was good to see gay characters and experimenting with sexuality but it has such an odd formatting system going on i couldn't keep track.
cw: bipolar disorder, suicide, death, grief, mental illness disregard by some characters

First of all, let's take a moment to acknowledge that our MC is asexual, and that her friend is pansexual (clear on-page labels), which made me tear up multiple times while reading it. Recently I made a Twitter thread about how platonic best friendships are my absolute favorite things to see, and the friendship between Corey and Kyra was an example of this. The only thing was, it felt like the diversity here was being shoved into the characters and their lives, instead of it organically growing and being shown blatantly on page. There was also a pro medication and therapy for mental illnesses that was happening on page, which I could appreciate. Now onto the thing that I didn't particularly enjoy here.

The way that this was originally marketed to me was as a thriller/mystery, and when you throw in that genre label I have certain expectations. I don't think it knew what it really was: supernatural mystery? Paranormal contemporary? As much as I had adored Nijkamp's debut: This is Where it Ends, my high expectations weren't really met with this book. I want to be on the edge of my seat, sweating trying to puzzle things together. In this story, I didn't feel any of those feelings that I want to while reading a quality thriller. Instead I found myself slowly trudging through the story, yawning during it, and considering DNFing it because nothing was happening for hundreds of pages of slow buildup.

Just want to clarify before I get to this part, that I am an ownvoices ace and aro reviewer. So this is yet another narrative where asexuality and aromanticism are equated. I feel like sometimes all you need to do for basic research about this distinction is just use google. By that you would figure out that the MC is rejecting her best friends romantic love to her because she's aro (or strongly aro-coded) not because she's ace. So maybe it's bold of me to say this, but at the time I was really hurt by the fact that there was clear aro erasure, which is why my rating is as low as it is.

Corey herself was very bland and underdeveloped as a character. I wish we could have gotten more growth and a different perspective after this whirlwind of a journey happened. If you asked me who Corey really was, her likes and dislikes, things about her family, I couldn't really tell you much. Unfortunately, she's written as a one dimensional character which really turns me off from these types of books.

Honestly, the ending was unsatisfactory and there was just no closure. I was still extremely confused about what had happened to Kyra, and felt like I was in a fever dream while reading. Oh well, maybe someday I'll have a dream at night to imaginatively create an alternative narrative that would be better than my waste of time that I spent on these 350 pages.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The setting was the best thing about this book. The Alaska town and its inhabitants were creepy, kooky, and cult like. I think the author tried to tackle too many hot button issues and none of them were handled well. I am always glad to see a realistic portrayal of someone with a mental illness. This character was ostracised and help for her was denied. I didn't enjoy the back and forth in time aspects of the book. This was not one I will remember.
I was not able to get into this book.  I didn't connect with the characters.  I did not finish it, and that's rare for me.
I absolutely loved Marieke’s other novel This Is Where It Ends, so when I saw this on Netgalley I just had to request a copy. I was personally expecting a bit more of a spooky, mysterious read, but the plot really brought this book to life for me. It was definitely unique and didn’t give me vibes from anything I’ve every read.

I really enjoyed Corey as a main character, she was very determined to prove her suspicions correct. I felt so awful every time she was treated as an outsider in the only place she felt she belonged. I can’t imagine being treated the way she was and still pushing through for her best friend, she was truly admirable. Hearing about Kyra from all sorts of sources (her parents, her neighbors, her best friend) got me kind of confused, it seemed like they were all describing a different person.

This book was definitely one of the most intriguing books I’ve read recently. I had a really hard time putting it down because I felt the need to know what happened. I can absolutely see why this read wouldn’t be for everyone, it seems like a love it or hate it type of book. If you are on the fence I would give it a go yourself, since everyone seems to feel very differently about this one.
The best I can say is that this was an interesting book to read.  I did not find there to be a lot of mystery or suspense in the book.  In addition, the basic premise did not work for me.
After reading Nijkamp's debut novel and not really enjoying it, I found myself pretty skeptical to pick up her second. Judging from what I read of this novel, I was right in thinking so. The story really isn't capturing my attention, and I don't foresee myself reading the remainder of the story.
This book wasn’t for me. Instead of posting a negative review, it is my policy not to review the book on my site or label it as DNF (did not finish) on Goodreads/Amazon.
I didn't realise this was a YA novel so I wasn't really looking forward to it - and I didn't entirely enjoy it either.  It was okay - but I just find that YA novels try so hard to be edgy and I just don't like the style.  The story was okay - I didn't really like the whole "cult" type thing - it was a sad story and I was just glad it was short!  My fault - I shouldn't have chosen this type of book.
Thank you Netgalley, the publisher and Marieke Nijkamp for the opportunity.
This book was an ok read, at times lengthy and not sure where the story was going.  I kept wanting  more and it fell short.
 This  was not a thriller for me.