Rosie Colored Glasses

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2018

Books was amazing. A tear jerker all the way through. A father-daughter  and Mother-Daughter relationship of miss communications an assumptions that many can relate to.

{My Thoughts}
What Worked For Me
Love that Couldn’t Last – I really liked the relationship between Rosie and Rex. It would be difficult to find two people more different from one another. Rosie was romantic, dazzling, ditsy, quick to smile, but she also had trouble keeping a job and maintaining focus. Rex was steady, efficient, strong, but he was impatient and struggled with affection. Both Rosie and Rex knew they were too different for their love to last. Yet, they couldn’t stop themselves from moving forward with the love they shared. Wolfson did a really nice job juxtaposing their personalities and their feelings about the other.

“By Rosie’s definition of love, she loved Rex very...

See Full Review

A very moving and timely story of a family dealing with the fallout from mental health and addiction issues. The titular Rosie is an ebullient, force of nature with, as we see from the first pages, serious boundary issues. While her life with few rules and much love sees her as a relatively functional single adult, her marriage and parenting are harmed by her choices and behavior. Rex, an uptight, straight-laced and success-driven man falls in love with Rosie only to have her nature, so opposite and foreign to his own, cause chaos in his life. But it's not cute, romantic chaos. Imagine that you finally learn to love and your love unhinges everything, including the lives of your...

See Full Review
I had a feeling I would love Rosie Colored Glasses. It's the story about a mentally ill mother with the story telling coming from the 5th grader, this sounded right up my alley. What I didn't expect was to have such fierce love for the father and brother, not to mention I never thought I'd find myself wiping so many tears from my face, I mean I was sobbing. The tears aren't because it's a heartbreaking story, I read plenty of those without tears but because the writing is so creative and so beautiful you are completely immersed in the story.

I can not recommend this book enough!!!!

The one sure thing about this novel is that it's sad. I usually like the going back and forth between present and past, but this time it didn't help very much. It made the novel more difficult to piece together that it already was.
Rosie Thorpe, mother to two children, Asher and Willow, and ex-wife to Rex, suffers of mental illness. I honestly didn't know what that illness was. She was depressed, this I understood. She was a very energetic and happy person, marching to the beat of her own drum. Obviously, this proved to bring trouble long term, especially because her husband, Rex was the very opposite. Willow, their oldest child, is the one who suffers the most after their...

See Full Review

An amazing, absolutely heartbreaking story. Willow Thorpe, the young daughter of divorced parents Rex and Rosie, struggles to navigate herself through the world. She has no friends at her school and her father doesn't seem to try to understand her. The only place where Willow feels happy and loved is with her mother. Rosie is a dynamic ball of energy and love, wrapping her children in seemingly endless days of fun and adventure. All Willow needs is her mom. But suddenly, Rosie isn't her mom anymore. The quirky woman is replaced with someone Willow can barely recognize. As the months pass, things get worse for Willow and her family. Their world spirals out of control as Rosie does...

See Full Review

Thanks so much to NetGalley, Mira Books and Brianna Wolfson for the opportunity to read this amazing book! This one will hit the shelves on Tuesday - reserve it now because it's not to be missed!

This is the story of Rosie, a quirky character happily living in Manhattan, flitting from job to job, filling her life with color and eccentricity. Enter Rex, who walks into the flower shop where she's working and where she changed the card for flowers he ordered from the norm to a poem by ee Cummings. They are polar opposites - Rex likes rules, structure, boundaries and Rosie has none of those. But she opens up his heart with her smile.

When they move to the suburbs and their...

See Full Review
What a terrific story. I loved the characters and the journey. Quirky and fun to read. Well done.
This one didn't really work for me. The subject matter wasn't what I'd expected based on the description, and I ended up not finishing the book.
Rosie Colored Glasses shows us the many facets of love.  My heart broke for Willow.
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.  Where do I start,  I just adored this book.  Through the afflictions and not so happy times I was drawn in with the characters and came to love each of them.  So many emotions were stirred within me while reading this book.  I would highly  recommend this book to my friends and family.
I have to tell you right off, I cried. Not a pretty cry, but a deep ugly cry. The words that make this story come together in spine tingling, raw emotion.
It's a world of love, addiction, hate, misunderstanding, sadness. Just remember it is a story of Love!
Excellent, emotional, memorable!!
5 Stars

3.5 stars.

Rosie Colored Glasses by Brianna Wolfson is a poignant novel about a family’s disintegration that results from wife and mother Rosie Thorpe’s undiagnosed (and self-medicated) bipolar disorder.

Twelve years ago, straight as an arrow and self-disciplined Rex Thorpe meets free-spirited and impulsive Rosie Collins. Despite the VAST differences in their personalities, Rex is swept away by the quixotic, fun-loving young woman and they embark on an unexpected romance. They move in together in the quirky apartment that Rex selects not because it fits his personality, but because it so perfectly embodies Rosie. Following their marriage and birth of oldest daughter Willow, Rex moves...

See Full Review
Sorry, I did not request thie book.  Please remove it from my dashboard.
Thanks

***ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review***

Poignant and heartrending, Rosie Colored Glasses by Brianna Wolfson dredged up so many emotions that I am not sure where to begin. Written in an unconventionally poetic style, this unique novel reaches deep down and tears your heart to pieces.

Sweet Willow, a fifth grade girl, is different than the other children in her school. Awkward and quirky, she takes after her mother, Rosie. She struggles to cope with her parents separation at home, and the bullying of children on the bus and at school.

Rosie, Willow’s mom is a free spirit that cannot be tamed. Eclectic and impulsive, she lives life by her feelings and moods...

See Full Review

Brianna Wolfson has crafted a sad, yet heartwarming tale of family and love in "Rosie Colored Glass." To the author's credit, she presents a sensitive look at love, mental illness and growth without being overdramatic. The novel introduces us to Willow, an 11-year-old who is wise and sad beyond her years after the divorce of her parents. She and her little brother split their time between two very different lifestyles. She considers her dad Rex as over-strict, and her mom Rosie is a colorful, free-flying bird. As with most stories, life is not as it first appears. Rosie suffers from depression that she tries to hide by overcompensating, but as she falls deeper into the...

See Full Review
Thiis powerful book tells a story about love, addiction and how that impacts an entire family, grief, and recovering from all the stresses felt. I felt like I was on an emotional roller-coaster with the happy and sad times, all of which were woven together very well, and definitely recommend this title.

Willow Thorpe knew friction. The heat it created when one thing rubbed against another. When one world rubbed against another.”

From the prologue, we know that Willow’s world is filled with tension, with every “Late again, Rosie.” followed by a dismissive retort from her mother. With every time the walls of her world changed from the fanciful, art-filled walls to generic white ones that scream out that the rules are different here, the children feel the change.

But how did this come to be? And how did her abundantly affectionate mother who lives by what feels right and good to her in the moment end up married to her emotionally distant father who is a stickler for a neat, ordered life...

See Full Review
A moving account of a bipolar mother and her family relationships.   The mother/daughter relationship was touching and all too real.  The parents relationship explores just how difficult it is to be married to a polar opposite and the need for structure for one partner outweighed the needs of the other.  It is not a book for someone looking for a self-help title or "real" relationship, however, it is a good read.
This book is just heart-breaking. Each character is fleshed out throughout the pages to give you individual perspectives. It’s impossible to not identify with each character in some way. The reader is privy to the wreckage divorce causes in a family and the toll it takes on everyone involved.