The Secrets of the Pied Piper 3: The Piper's Apprentice

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Oct 2017

This book is the perfect ending to the trilogy. It's filled with the same magic and heartfelt emotion as the other two in the series. And after waiting a year to read this one, Cody cleverly gives enough information that the reader won't feel the need to reread the previous two books to be caught up on the action. And there's plenty of action as well as Carter and his sister, Max, and their friends from New Hamblin fight evil to bring Summer Isle back to summer. The whole series is perfect for fantasy-loving middle grade and even young adult readers. This adult enjoyed the story plenty
I wasn't sure what to think going into this one. I really enjoyed book one, was less fond of book two. I liked this better than I thought I might. Its a decent close to the trilogy. Closes all of the open plot lines and brings the major characters to some kind of concluding development. It takes us pretty far afield from the original stories.

The Piper’s Apprentice concludes Matthew Cody’s THE SECRETS OF THE PIED PIPER series, which began with The Peddler’s Road followed by The Magician’s Key. I haven’t read book one, but I found the second book to be an enjoyable enough story aimed squarely, and successfully I’d imagine, at its middle grade audience. Book three has its issues, but is mostly a solid and satisfying conclusion. Warning: there will be spoilers for the first two books, which I’ll assume one has read (and thus I won’t bother explaining characters or prior plots).

In The Magician’s Key, the two siblings Max and Carter had separate adventures thanks to Max being stuck in mundane Earth while Carter was on the Summer...

See Full Review
A satisfactory end to a satisfactory series. I think this series will perhaps age better when each volume is available for rapid back-to-back reading. In my opinion, reader interest suffered across such long between-volumes waits. I could also see this becoming an interesting film (or film series?) for the under 12 set