Cover Image: Emma in the Night

Emma in the Night

Three years after two sisters are missing, one of them returns home. Telling a story to her family and the FBI, Cassandra leads everyone on a journey to find her sister Emma. But, Dr Winters, an FBI psychologist, can’t help but feel that something is off both with the story and the family dynamic.

This was a pretty interesting and thrilling story. I found the inclusion of a narcissistic parent both relatable and intriguing. I’d read more from Wendy Walker in a heartbeat.
Oh wow! The suspense and manipulation in this book kept me wanting more. I very much enjoyed the twists and the storyline. It was very interesting. Thank you to the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read.
Three years ago, 17-year-old Emma Tanner and her 15-year-old sister, Cassandra, left home, disappearing into the night. Now Cass is back but what happened to Emma? When a forensic psychologist, Dr. Abby Winter, is brought in to explore what happened, she uncovers that Cass is not a reliable witness but most disturbing of all is the girls’ mother. Is story is told in various viewpoints so I did like that but unfortunately I was not as engaged in this thriller as much as I had hoped.
Sisters Emma and Cassandra disappeared three years ago. Now three years later Emma returns home and her family and the FBI are full of questions about the night she and her sister disappeared and where her sister is.

I thought this was a pretty good thriller. I appreciated that the main character Emma remembered everything that happened when she disappeared and it wasn't another amnesia thriller. I liked the alternating perspectives between Emma and the FBI agent. I didn't think there was anything wrong with this thriller it just was mediocre for me.
Teen sisters, Emma and Cass, disappeared without a trace three years ago. Now, Cass has returned alone and is spinning a complex tale about their kidnapping. Where have the sisters been all of these years? And, most importantly, who is telling the truth?

Initially, I was intrigued by the mother’s narcissistic personality because it reminded me so much of the classic V.C. Andrews novels I devoured as a teen. Unfortunately, my interest soon waned mostly because I did not feel connected to any of the characters and didn't care what had happened to them. Poor Cass was kidnapped and held against her will for three years, so why didn't I care? Even without an emotional component, I at least hoped to enjoy the thriller aspect of this story (this family was so messed up and should have at least put the "fun" in dysfunctional in a dark and twisty way) but, nope, that fell flat for me as well.

Welp, at least I just felt meh about this book and didn't hate it like I did the author's previous book, All Is Not Forgotten (2 stars), so that's a plus.

I received an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own
I enjoyed reading this book but at times found it hard to keep reading as it’s quite slow at giving you anything to make you want to read on.
ARC from Netgalley
Really enjoyable read. Good characters and a Good story. Well worth a read. Think others will enjoy.
I was initially pulled in by this books cover. The cover promises a seriously good thriller and suspenseful read. it took me a little while to get into it, the support was moving really slowly,  and I honestly considered putting the book down at one point but I decided to keep going and I'm glad that I did. This book was honestly great. Emma in the night was twisty and suspenseful and kept me on my toes. I didn't know where the story was going to go next or how all the characters fulfilled each role that they played. It wasn't easy to figure out what was going to happen next and I really like it when a book can make me wonder. Overall a really great book and I really enjoyed it.
This book grabbed me from the beginning and wouldn't let go!
Our narrator and MC seems to be a bit unreliable....  the story starts out with a missing girl suddenly showing up on her mother's doorstep after 3 years.  Slowly the details unravel and we learn about where Cassie has been and what happened to her and her missing sister.  It is a long and rough road and it gets even more twisted.
A nice change of pace for the slew of psychological thrillers out there...  unique story with details all tied up neatly with a bow!
Definitely recommend for fans of Mystery, Thrillers, and Crime Novels.
Great story by Wendy Walker!!  Really thrilling read, great characters and an enjoyable story.  Highly recommend to others!!
I enjoyed this for the most part, but was a little disappointed in the way the mystery was executed. I thought the ending/twist was really clever, but didn’t really care much because none of the characters are likeable and the narrator was very unreliable. I look forward to checking out more from this author.
I feel that perhaps because I don't read many thrillers, I enjoyed this book despite its execution and pacing issues. The suspense and mystery was there, as well as the emotional aspects, and I overall found it enjoyable as a random, light read. Again, there are times when I was a tad bored and/or felt some things were predictable, but for the purpose of passing time, I didn't regret reading this book.
Emma in the Night is Wendy Walker's second novel, though I haven't yet had a chance to read All is Not Forgotten. This novel tells the aftermath of a broken family trying to put some pieces back together when one of their two daughters returns after randomly vanishing in the night three years ago. Cass returns to her mothers house, pleading for everyone to find her sister Emma. Cass managed to escape from the island where they'd been held, but her sister Emma is still stuck, along with Emma's daughter. Will the police, FBI and forensic psychiatrist who were on the sister's case beforehand be able to wade through the messy family dynamics to find and save Emma in time?
      I've really gotten into psychological thrillers lately, and I kept on trying to get more out of this then I was actually getting. I didn't feel a good connection with the characters, something felt off the entire time. I'm usually very easily able to get attached to the characters, but whether it was the narrative in which the story was told or the writing style, I had a hard time feeling empathy and anything but anger at the mother. The novel ended with a well thought out twist that thankfully tied up all the strings in a satisfying way, but because of the lack of emotional connection, I wasn't as happy a reader as I usually am and like to be
This book blew my mind.  The ending shattered my expectations.  There was a little too much repetition, and at times I wished that she would just get to the point.  However, with that being said Cass was an interesting character, her relationships with other characters all of it made so much sense.  I didn’t want to put this down.  This story is a must.
I really loved the setup of this novel. I love a good thriller that leaves breadcrumbs to keep you guessing and following along the way without giving too much away. The author did this marvelously!

Character development was strong. Abby was probably my favorite and how clever she was.

However, I did hit a point about 3/4 of the way to where I felt like it should be closer to wrapping up than it was.

The plot twists at the end we're really well done. Over all the book was fantastic. I just felt like it could have moved a little faster to the actual big reveal and lead up. Would definitely read another book by this author.
This book took me forever to read, which is why I'm only giving it 3 stars. Often, I need pulled in by a book and I just had a hard time connecting with this one.
I liked this for the most part.  The few surprises along the way kept me interested.  Being told what happened instead of bringing the reader along was definitely a drawback, but the psychological disorder of narcissism was interesting.  Also, there were times of confusion as to who was talking or what timeframe we were in or if it what was being shared was true or not.  Overall, I still enjoyed it.  (3.75/5)
I was not expecting the twists in this novel! I loved the switching perspectives and the drama within drama within drama. There was so much going on, and I was surprised right up until the end. This one is coming out August 8th, and I would definitely recommend it!
I realize that this book might look a lot like dozens of other thrillers that are published every year. The cover, the title, the subject matter--teen sisters go missing, one comes back, psychological chaos ensures--they're not necessarily unique. (But is anything, anymore? Still, I digress...) What made this book stand out to me was the author--I previously read All Is Not Forgotten and greatly enjoyed it--but if you don't have previous experience with Walker, allow me to give you a few reasons to select her book over another:

--Walker doesn't mess around with her words. Clocking in at a succinct 300 pages, Emma doesn't waste your time with scenes or descriptions that are mere fluff. It's a fast and tightly edited read.

--Like unreliable narrators? Then you'll like Cass, Walker's heroine, who walks that fine line between traumatized teen and master manipulator like it's in her blood. Oh, wait--it is. Which brings me to reason #3:

--The family drama in this book is so out and out crazy, and yet, these characters never feel like caricatures. I've read quite a few thrillers where I just never quite connect to any of the players, or where the villains feel one-dimensional. But even if I didn't necessarily like Walker's characters, I understood them. She's a master at creating psychological suspense with people who seem completely normal on the outside, and almost a little bit sympathetic.

So now that I've convinced you to read this book, why are you still here? Go grab a copy and curl up for a binge-reading session!
I requested this novel based entirely on the fact that I loved the author’s previous novel All is not Forgotten. I’ll be honest and say that Emma in the Night wasn’t quite as good but it was still an engrossing read. The novel is about two sisters who disappeared and now one of them is back. She tells where she has been and what happened but it doesn’t add up so a psychiatrist is trying to see through Cass’s story to try and work out the truth of where Emma is. I did get hooked on this story and didn’t fully work out what had happened, I enjoyed the slow reveal.