Emma in the Night

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jan 2018

This book blew my mind.  The ending shattered my expectations.  There was a little too much repetition, and at times I wished that she would just get to the point.  However, with that being said Cass was an interesting character, her relationships with other characters all of it made so much sense.  I didn’t want to put this down.  This story is a must.
I really loved the setup of this novel. I love a good thriller that leaves breadcrumbs to keep you guessing and following along the way without giving too much away. The author did this marvelously!

Character development was strong. Abby was probably my favorite and how clever she was.

However, I did hit a point about 3/4 of the way to where I felt like it should be closer to wrapping up than it was.

The plot twists at the end we're really well done. Over all the book was fantastic. I just felt like it could have moved a little faster to the actual big reveal and lead up. Would definitely read another book by this author.
This book took me forever to read, which is why I'm only giving it 3 stars. Often, I need pulled in by a book and I just had a hard time connecting with this one.
I liked this for the most part.  The few surprises along the way kept me interested.  Being told what happened instead of bringing the reader along was definitely a drawback, but the psychological disorder of narcissism was interesting.  Also, there were times of confusion as to who was talking or what timeframe we were in or if it what was being shared was true or not.  Overall, I still enjoyed it.  (3.75/5)
I was not expecting the twists in this novel! I loved the switching perspectives and the drama within drama within drama. There was so much going on, and I was surprised right up until the end. This one is coming out August 8th, and I would definitely recommend it!
I realize that this book might look a lot like dozens of other thrillers that are published every year. The cover, the title, the subject matter--teen sisters go missing, one comes back, psychological chaos ensures--they're not necessarily unique. (But is anything, anymore? Still, I digress...) What made this book stand out to me was the author--I previously read All Is Not Forgotten and greatly enjoyed it--but if you don't have previous experience with Walker, allow me to give you a few reasons to select her book over another:

--Walker doesn't mess around with her words. Clocking in at a succinct 300 pages, Emma doesn't waste your time with scenes or descriptions that are mere fluff. It's a fast and tightly edited read.

--Like unreliable narrators? Then you'll like Cass, Walker's heroine, who walks that fine line between traumatized teen and master manipulator like it's in her blood. Oh, wait--it is. Which brings me to reason #3:

--The family drama in this book is so out and out crazy, and yet, these characters never feel like caricatures. I've read quite a few thrillers where I just never quite connect to any of the players, or where the villains feel one-dimensional. But even if I didn't necessarily like Walker's characters, I understood them. She's a master at creating psychological suspense with people who seem completely normal on the outside, and almost a little bit sympathetic.

So now that I've convinced you to read this book, why are you still here? Go grab a copy and curl up for a binge-reading session!
I requested this novel based entirely on the fact that I loved the author’s previous novel All is not Forgotten. I’ll be honest and say that Emma in the Night wasn’t quite as good but it was still an engrossing read. The novel is about two sisters who disappeared and now one of them is back. She tells where she has been and what happened but it doesn’t add up so a psychiatrist is trying to see through Cass’s story to try and work out the truth of where Emma is. I did get hooked on this story and didn’t fully work out what had happened, I enjoyed the slow reveal.
One of the things that I like was how little Goodreads gave away about the book, there is two sisters that disappeared and then three years later one of them, Cass, returns without Emma.  When Cass returns, she starts telling this really detailed story about the how her Emma planned their disappearance and how they had this help from these people and how they were then taken to this mysterious island where the two of them were held for almost three years.  The problem?  Dr. Abby Winter, a forensic psychiatrist, who has been involved on their disappearance isn't quite convince of all the story, there is just something that is not adding up and she needs to look more deeply into Cass's dysfunctional family to find out the truth and looking she will.

Dr. Winter starts to dig deeper and deeper and she starts to believe Cass's mom is a narcissist and more and more secrets are hidden and even though she doesn't believe all of Cass's story she does believe that Cass is probably leading them to a dangerous territory, even the possibility of crime.

When you start reading and get to know Cass and her story you get to wrapped up on the story that she is telling that by the end of the book you don't even realize where she was leading you and that?  That was really well done, I wasn't expecting the twist and it was good and it kept me guessing throughout the book, there were times that I thought Cass wasn't herself anymore, many she was really going crazy.  I really don't want to give too much away but be ready for a few twists along the way for sure.

I really enjoyed this one, 4 out of 5 stars.
Emma in the Night is Wendy Walkers second psychological thirller which is told from alternating points of view centering around the disappearance of two sisters.
It had been quite a while since I read an adult thriller when I picked this one up. EMMA IN THE NIGHT is the story of sisters Cass and Emma who disappeared when they were 15 and 17. Now, several years later, Cass has returned, without her sister. Her story is one of an isolated island and the couple who trapped them there. Forensics specialist, Abby Winter, knows something is off.

The narrative toggles between Cass and Dr. Winter. The further Cass gets into her story, the more Dr. Winter is certain that Cass is leading them somewhere else. But where?

This was a compulsive read for me, as thrillers ought to be. Of course it is filled with family secrets and unlikable characters, as is often the case in thrillers as well.
Emma in the Night is the tale of Cass who return after being gone for a few years and now must tell everyone where she has been and what happened to her sister who left with her but never returned. This tale has many twists and turns when it comes to the Tanner sisters, we see a crack in her home life that showcases a family that has many problems, to say the least. We see a mother who is hanging by a thread and a stepfather and stepbrother who don’t have the best intentions.

Cass’s story of where she and her sister were all this time is kind of sketchy to the police, they think some of what she is saying is true but they think there is definitely more to her story than she is saying. So we are left to figure out what if any of her stories are true. This story has layers upon layers of secrets and lies that when unfolded gives us the real and true story of Cass and Emma’s life. When everything is finally revealed I was shocked and truly felt for Cass, she lived a life that was hard but in the end, she was free to live a life that she deserved.

Emma in the Night is part thriller part mystery but what regardless what you want to call it, bottom line the story is amazing! It definitely draws you in and keeps you engaged until the last page is turned. So if you like a story that has any of these elements this is surely the book for you.
Once again a great psychological thriller- Wendy Walker has done it again. "Emma in the Night" is well-written and will grab you from the very beginning and keep you engaged and guessing to the very end. I highly recommend it..
EMMA IN THE NIGHT is the second book I have read by author Wendy Walker. I read ALL IS NOT FORGOTTEN a dark complex psychological thriller, with high levels of suspense and tension. This book was mind-blowing and definitely one of the best novels that I have read in 2016. The reason being is that not only does this story grip you from beginning until end…it will remain with you for days to come. Then when I saw she had a new release, I couldn’t wait to read it. For me, this was an okay read but not as great as her debut.

One night five years ago, the Tanner sisters disappeared: fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Three years later, Cass returns, without her sister Emma to tell her story. Her story is one of kidnapping and betrayal, of a mysterious island where the two were held.

But to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter, something doesn't add up…a dysfunctional family and a narcissistic parent held control.

This is a disturbing and a twisted psychological thriller that is filled with dysfunctional and calculating characters. The story was well-written told from two different perspectives which focuses mainly on Cass and her story of what happened to her during those missing years and Dr. Abby Winter asking questions about what happened to the still missing sister, Emma.

This was a satisfying read and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

Many thanks to St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley for my digital copy.
An intriguing read. that captured my attention from the start. and  held it throughout the book. A gripping psychological thriller that has you guessing as to what the outcome is going to be.
This intriguing thriller focuses on what happens when 15-year-old Cass, who had disappeared three years earlier, along with her 17-year-old sister, Emma, returns with a story of being kidnapped and living on a mysterious island. Class, now 18, insists that Emma is still being held there. Law enforcement and the family are skeptical because the story seems so outlandish.
Dr. Abby Winter, a forensic psychiatrist, looks at length at Cass and her family, uncovering secrets along the way. And Cass is determined to free her sister, no matter what it takes.
4.5 stars!
I read Wendy Walkers debut book “All Is Not Forgotten”, and really liked it. So I was so excited to read this second novel “Emma in the night” to see if her writing was for real… and let me tell you, she is for real and I was not disappointed!
I thought this one was even better than the first, and more suspenseful, faster paced (which I liked) and a true psychological thriller. The dysfunction in this family was something else. (If you're not into family drama/dynamics and dysfunction, I'm not sure you will like it). The story is told in past and present, back and forth alternating throughout entire book. The reader is slowly given pieces of information throughout the book, and that builds up the story quite nice. It just keeps you guessing. It’s a very unique story, with twists and turns I didn’t see coming.  The characters are all interesting and some you downright can’t stand. I like a good villain or two and likeable characters to root for.  I read the e-book and listened to the audible version when I was unable to read. Great narrators, perfect fit to the voices.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good psychological/suspenseful thriller. It’s great to read or listen to the audible version. It’s definitely one credit worthy, and I would buy the book for a friend if they liked this genre too.

*A very special thank you to St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review*
This book grabbed my interest from the beginning.  Some may have a hard time with the switching back and forth between storytellers, but I think that gives it extra depth.  The twists and turns throughout the book keep you guessing, you may think that you have it all figured out until you get that curveball thrown at you.  It also deals with a real-life personality disorder, that many of us have never heard of.  It will keep you guessing throughout the book and it definitely is one that I would read again. Thanks, NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book before it was released.
I love a good thriller in the summer. There's something about a compulsive page-turner of a novel that keeps you glued to your beach chair and in another state of mind. I love that feeling, and if you're looking to replicate it, then I highly recommend reading  Emma in the Night. This is one thriller -- with a deliciously satisfying twist -- that I'll be raving about all year long. Emma in the Night is the story of two missing sisters, fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Both girls vanished one night without a single clue left behind. Three years later, Cass returns, and her story is one of kidnapping, manipulation, and isolation. Dr. Abby Winter, a forensic psychiatrist, is immediately called to assist with the case. Dr. Winter was involved with the original disappearance of the girls, and was haunted by the questions left behind. She's eager to get a second chance at observing the complicated and dysfunctional family that so fascinated her three years ago.

As Cass's reveals the details of an island where the girls where held captive, where she believes Emma still lives (and is waiting to be rescued), Abby has a feeling that something isn't quite right about her story. And thus begins her investigation into the real crime.

I won't say anything else, but this book was full of suspense, dysfunction, and a couple moments that gave me the chills. I am so glad I got the chance to read it this summer -- highly recommended for book clubs looking for a thriller read this year, and for fans of the genre.
Well done!

Is it a page turner? Does it keep your attention? Does it keep you wondering who's the bad guy? Do you keep on questioning what's true and what's not?
YES, YES, YES and YES!

If you love a book with manipulative egocentric characters who don't give a sh*t about you as a reader and do their own thing: go for it!
I chose not to review this book because I didn't like it. I only read about a quarter of the book. If I don't like a book I don't write a bad review.