The Goblins of Bellwater

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Before we talk words can we please take a moment to stare at the cover! Look at how beautiful that cover is. It completely draws me in and makes my eyes happy. I love it! *claps for the cover design* I loved the goblins, the magic and the folklore infusion in this book. It was a quick read and I loved the somber undertone that pushes you to keep reading, to find out how things will end. Molly's writing is fantastic and I really would love to see her do another tale re-imagined. The last quarter of the book was so mesmerizing I loved how we got to see different fae incorporated.
If you've ever walked through a seemingly empty forest and felt that you were being watched, now you know why...

Wonderfully imaginative, with a just a touch of darkness. The Goblins of Bellwater stands out in a the saturated fantasy and paranormal genre. The characters are well-written and believable, and the mix of everyday activity and old legends lends the story a haunting reality - perfectly matched with the setting of rural Washington state.

I highly recommend this book for fans of Holly Black or Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses series.
*I received this ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I liked this a lot- a creepy and magical goblin tale with such strong links to nature. I loved the Pacific Northwest scenery and the relationships between the main characters was cute/real hot.

Really solid and enjoyable and I read it in practically a day.

Most people have no idea goblins live in the woods around the small town of Bellwater, Washington. But some are about to find out. Skye falls victim to a goblin curse in the forest one winter night, rendering her depressed and silenced, unable to speak of what happened. Her older sister, Livy, is at wit’s end trying to understand what’s wrong with her. Kit would know, but he doesn’t talk of such things: he’s the human liaison for the goblin tribe, thrust on him by an ancient family contract. Unaware of what’s happened to Skye, Kit starts dating Livy, trying to keep it casual to protect her from the attention of the goblins. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Kit, Skye draws his cousin Grady into the...

See Full Review

He lifted his face toward the treetops and whistled a few notes of one of the tribe's songs. None were tunes you'd hear on the radio, though Kit would have sworn one of them had stolen riffs from a Bowie song. No surprise. Goblins stole stuff every chance they got.

The Goblins of Bellwater has all the makings of a great fantasy book: beautiful setting, quriky creatures, and a love story shadowed by a curse. Which was why I was so excited when I was given a copy of my own to read and review.

Set off the Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest, the book was inspired by Christina Rosetti's 1880's poem Goblin Market. Skye is a young woman on the verge of flying from the coop...

See Full Review
In a small northwestern town, two sisters are drawn into the world of goblins and fae when one is unwittingly cursed. A modern take on Goblin Market with lyrical prose and a naturalistic slant, the Goblins of Bellwater is perfect for fans of Holly Black.
Sadly, this is one of my DNF pile. I tried so hard to give this a chance but to no avail.
The Goblins of Bellwater was a fun and immersive story. At times it was hard to put the book down. The characters were relatable, and the setting was magical. I loved that the story had a good mix of romance and sisterly love. One downside was that the characters fell in love a little too quickly for my taste - but I did feel that given the quickness of the read it was okay.

The book made me more interested in stories about fae so it could be a good jumping off point into the genre for others as well.
The concept of the plot had promise and the first third of book kept the reader intrigued. While there was a clear beginning middle and end, the story did not live up to the promise in set up in the beginning.  The treatment of many of the interesting aspects of the book like goblin ore were too cursory and not well fleshed out leaving me skimming at end end just to see how the story ended up.
This novel wasn’t as immersive as what I was expecting from a story that claimed to be a modern retelling of a narrative poem as iconic and ethereal as “Goblin Market.” The poem is famous for having multiple layers of meaning and interpretation, and I was hoping to find something comparable in this book, but I ultimately found it to be just a very standard teen/new adult fantasy novel. I would recommend to younger adults and less discerning fantasy fans.

"A novel about goblins... I'm sure it'll be amazingly creepy as hell!"
What a pity that those poor goblins were more bit players than real characters. Really, why ruining a book that could have become super intriguing and spooky and entertaining with an endless load of mawkish ROMANCE?
Every 5 pages someone was kissing or pining for their romantic interest; I seriously had an hard time finishing the book.

I did enjoy the concept of the "liaison", a human who acted as a mediator between men and goblins who guaranteed that no harm would happen to the first ones by giving the latters what they wanted. Moreover Kit is the kind of male character who usually...

See Full Review
I was immediately drawn to The Goblins of Bellwater.  The cover is absolutely stunning, and I'm all about goblins and creepy forests.

Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me.  Not that it was bad, just not exactly what I expected.  The writing style made it hard for me to get through.  There were a few times where I had to put the book down because it wasn't compelling enough to keep me focused - both with the writing and the plot.

Speaking of plot, that was another issue for me.  The enchanted sex in the forest - while a bunch of goblins are peeping - was super strange to me.  It didn't seem all that... consensual?

I guess this one just wasn't my flavor of milkshake.
While I liked the creepy atmosphere the writing seemed lackluster. There where moments where it jumped from different characters and the way of was written was confusing to me. I liked the premise of the book though.
This book is a wonderful mix of our world with the perfect amount of fantasy.
3.5

Solid YA! I was very impressed with how goblins were worked into the story (okay, are the story) in a non-traditional, non-frightening way. The story was new, creative and the author did a superb job illustrating the lush backgrounds of Washington and the fae that come with it.
A great story and not overly complicated which is great. Sometime it's nice not to have a book where you need to think about it.

Occasionally the chapter heading is at the bottom of the page and this could be changed by double spacing so it's attached to the right chapter. Not a big thing though.

a intriguing read I definitely enjoyed it.  I would recommend this to YA and those who like fantasy.
I found this book to be very interesting since it was based off of the eerie poem "Golbin Market"  by Christina Rosetti's senual poem which I was just introduce to in my English college course. I found this book a very enjoyable read giving where the inspiration of the novel came from. I also that thigh it was a great story with a lot of great concepts, high entertainment qualities with many quirky or wierd moments in between. A must read for anyone who is a fan of the poem.
Loved this book! It was well written and captivating.
Goblins of Bellwater was an interesting story that got more interesting as it went on. I feel it was a bit rushed though. I love how the characters were older (20’s) because that helped relate the story more to me. I loved the take care of the environment message hidden throughout the book.
Spring-boarding a modern story off of Christina Rossetti's The Goblin Market seemed like a clever premise for a novel. Unfortunately, this failed badly in the execution.

While the pacing is decent and the characters are likable enough, the positives end there. The writing (especially the dialogue) is ham-handed and juvenile, the solve is hokey, and the plot is problematic and unimaginative.

This was a cute idea, but the final product isn't a good read.