The Goblins of Bellwater

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This is a satisfying magical realism romp filled with action, lore, and romance. Recommended to anyone who loves YA magical realism.
Definitely YA approved. I liked it. The story was well written and Kit really seemed to be created well. I will say that in YA there seems to be a big difference in the material and how it is covered, with some being more mature and some being much less mature. This one falls distinctly in the middle.
Good read for upper middle school, lower high school students..
Looking for a new twist on the fey? Then read this tale of faerie exploring the darker sides of what happens when you make a bargain with a faerie.

I loved this book and couldn't put it down from the characters to the prose, it was amazing.

Out of Ten: 7/10

Review at a Glance: An engaging standalone with folktale elements and an interesting take on the fae, enjoyable despite some stumbles with pacing and character.

Review: Okay so two confessions right off the bat: 1) this was one of the ARCs that I was supposed to finish and review before I had my... let's say "fit of melancholy" last year and decided to stop book blogging entirely... I've finally read and am reviewing the book... better late than never, I guess? Please bear with me as I do this review, I may be out of practice. And 2) I was initially drawn to this book because of it's cover. I'm shallow like that. I liked the premise well...

See Full Review
This was a fascinating read. The setting was very picturesque and the romance sweet abd troubling (of course). I found myself wanting to shake Skye out of her curse and taste her lover's cooking. I debated going for a kayak myself or trying my hand at carving driftwood. This author does an amazing job of really making her characters whole in spite of a curse that makes them rather flat. Love this book so much and can't wait to see more.
I loved the concept of this book: based on the poem Goblin Market, the book brought the sinister and sensual aspects of the poem to life in modern day Washington. I loved the relationships between the four central characters, and the eventual adventure to find the cure for goblin enchantment was both well paced and satisfying. The goblins themselves were sufficiently despicable in contrast to the more kindly "local" faeries. The only thing I felt could have been embellished was the romantic relationships: they felt a little flat and underdeveloped, especially in the light of the details of enchantments and goblins. In the end, it was a satisfying fantasy.
I'm sorry that this is so late--I struggled with what to say about this book for so long, that eventually it fell off the list.
I so much wanted to love this book, and so much didn't. Every time there was another element of magic, of mystery, of surprise, or even delight, it was immediately squelched and smothered with darkness, dispair,, or disappointment. There was so much potential, and so much good material to work with, but I must not be the right audience--I found the whole thing sad, upsetting, dark, and depressing.
I haven't, and won't, post any public reviews.
Thank you to the publishers for and ARC of this!
This wasn't quite the book I was expecting and perhaps that is why I had a hard time getting into it. It was a little too...strange...for me. I think the author captured the haunting, Gothic, whimsical feel of the original poem, I believe, this book is based off of: The Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti. However, I struggled to be invested in the in the multiple relationships that were going on. I can see this book working for some people really well. 3.5 stars.
I love any story with goblins as it takes me back top when I was a child watching Labyrinth. I love how the fantasy and real life were interwoven together. I love fae and I loved the world building and development between the couples trying to escape a spell.. I totally felt for Lizzy. I did struggle a lot getting through the book and put it down several times before eventually finishing, I did find parts of this book boring but I continued.
I'm unable to give a review as when I got this a short while later my kindle broke and I never got the chance to read/finish the book.

Apologies for not being able to review this book.

Hopefully I'll be able to go out and buy the book at a future date!

(I've given it 3 stars so it doesn't get marked down hopefully)
This book was not my cup of tea. Having said that, I think the writing was good. I do know of several people who would enjoy this book greatly and therefore I cannot discount it. I would recommend this to my friends who enjoy a quirky, strange dark book. Yes, I know a lot of people like that.
The story was engaging but the characters felt a bit cliche.
This was really hard to get into and I struggled to keep reading it. I found it too predictable for my tastes.
Unfortunately I just couldn't get into this book at all. I put it down and picked it up so many times, that I finally gave up on reading this book.
I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I'm sorry to say this but I had to stop reading this book around 45% of the way in. I'm sorry but I just couldn't get into the story. A lot of people and reviews praised this book but I just couldn't find anything gripping. I might give it another go in the future when I'm in the mood to read something like this.
I did, however, think that the story had a lot of potential! The characters were all a little bit cliche and a little off.

I'm really sad that I didn't love it as much as everyone else but I'll hopefully come back to it at a later time.
I wanted to love the book the goblins of Bellwater but it fell a little short for me. It felt a bit predictable for me. The beginning started out a bit creepy with the goblins but the romance was predictable and felt rushed. It would be good for a day when you want to watch reality shows and not do much.
The Goblins of Bellwater was a light, interesting read - which might seem odd, considering the subject matter. Even though the goblins were evil, they were more cartoonishly depicted, as was the rest of the fae world. So nothing ever felt too bleak or scary. It was a diverting read for sure, but not a super deep one.
I received with thanks an ARC copy of The Goblins of Bellwater from Cemtral Avenue Publishing & Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of The Goblins of Bellwater by Molly Ringle. This was published in October 2017

I love goblins so had a feeling that I would enjoy this very much. This a creepy fairy tale, paranormal romance that is great for urban fantasy lovers.

Give this a go if you love urban fantasy.
DNF. I had a very hard time with this book; it was very difficult to get sucked into the story, and I did not find myself invested in the characters. I wanted so badly to enjoy it, but I just had to put it down at the halfway point. Perhaps I will revisit it someday and give it another try.
I liked the fantastical premise of this book and the basing off The Goblin Market poem. At first I thought it was YA but quickly figured out it's adult or New Adult with all of the hanky-panky that happens. In one update I called it 50 Shades of Goblin. Most of the whoopie is justified though based on the premise that two of the four MCs are under a Goblin spell and have become "mated" to each other.

This book grew on me as it went. I liked Livy and how strong a female character she was. My favorite part was reading about all of the things she had to do to save her friends and family. I would recommend this book to someone who wants something different with elements of fantasy.