The Goblins of Bellwater

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Dec 2018

While the cover is gorgeous however, I must emphasize that world building was lacking and it made it quite difficult to become invested in the story, but I did enjoy it and am glad to have read it.  The writing itself was a gorgeous endeavor but I wish I had enjoyed the characters themselves a bit more.
Interesting narrative style and easy to read. Have a few students who have already read through and loved it!
This book was a very hard read for me to get through. The story started out interesting, but then it began to drag. There were also a few scenes that made me a bit uncomfortable. I also thought that the novel did not have much of plot. Still, I recommend this novel for fans of magical realism and The Garden Spell.
What a fun story! Dark, mysterious... I would  not have expected goblins to behave like faeries, but they, too are the fair folk, unless I'm mistaken. It's a engaging tale with so many fun elements, goblins, a romance, magic, old family contracts with goblins, and small towns. I enjoyed this and I am sure it's audience will , too! Actually, this story seems to work quite well as a fall and winter read. So pour a cup of something good and grab a sweet or two, find a comfy place to park, for an afternoon or two, and read this wonderful, magical tale.
I don’t think that I was the target audience for this but overall, I enjoyed the plot and the characters. The concept was great and intriguing and I would probably check out more titles by Molly Ringle in the future. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an E-ARC of The Goblins of Bellwater.
DNF. Interesting premise, but the unfolding of the story felt forced and unbelievable. I didn't care for the insta-relationships. The characters were pretty flat and I couldn't develop sympathy for them.
Very...very...strange. I guess that's to be expected of an entire book based solely off a poem?!?
The cover, on the other hand, is phenomenal. I bumped up my rating an extra star for the cover.
I just couldn't get into this. When I first saw this book, I instantly likened it to S. Jae-Jones's, Wintersong...and the writing was beautiful, but it lacked in the actual storytelling, and I think that is because of the expectations I had set up.

This lacked the magical whimsy that I expected as well, we got a taste of it at the start. I was hoping to read something filled with goblins, and fae and other magical creatures, but instead I got a romance novel and that wasn't even that good. You had your typical YA instalove that made nonsense and relationships that weren't well developed.

Not only that...I was just bored. SO SO SO bored! I found myself skimming through pages. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and there was a lot of world building that was lacking.

All that being said, this wasn't horrible, but just not what I was expecting and not a read for me. There are many others who enjoyed reading it, but this is one I don't think I could recommend.
DNF at 10%

Too much character backstory that didn’t interest me and not enough plot. I just prefer a faster pace when it comes to Fae in the “real world”.
Overall, this book was an enjoyable read. The world building was detailed and interesting and the characters had depth. I enjoyed reading about the goblins and their world and how sinister they can be. The writing is beautiful and the book was fast paced which made it really easy and enjoyable to read. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for something new and fantasy related to read!
This was absolutely unexpected and gorgeous! I've been on a bit of a fae kick lately, and this was by far one of my favorites. The story is original and told beautifully.
Most people have no idea goblins live in the woods around the small town of Bellwater, Washington. But some are about to find out. Skye, a young barista and artist, falls victim to a goblin curse in the forest one winter night, rendering her depressed and silenced, unable to speak of what happened. Her older sister, Livy, is at wit's end trying to understand what's wrong with her. Local mechanic Kit would know, but he doesn't talk of such things: he's the human liaison for the goblin tribe, a job he keeps secret and never wanted, thrust on him by an ancient family contract.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley. I requested this book as a “wish” throug their website about a year ago, and recently had my wish granted. So the book has been out for a while, but, since I haven’t had a chance to read it, I was really excited to give it a try. Plus, I love this cover. It’s gorgeous!

The setting of this book, small town in Western Washington, was fun for me. Since I recently took a trip out to Seattle, I felt more familiar with this location than I would have a year ago. And the author really takes advantage of the nearby National Forest, which plays an essential role in the story. I always enjoy when plots are specific to their location, so the setting was a real treat for me.

The plot of the book is really what hooked me into this story. It starts out with such an interesting premise, there are goblins hiding in your forest. And then it adds in curses and magic and secrets, so there was a lot of promise of adventure and excitement here. Unfortunately, after the curses and magic are set up, the book turns into something close to soft-core erotica, which the characters all being tied up in their love life and focusing on sex. This slowed down the plot significantly and left me wondering when we’d get back to the story I loved at the start of the book.

I struggled the most with the characters in this book. For as small a book as this was, it just felt like there were too many character, so they weren’t all fleshed out. One character, Skye’s love interest, actually seemed like he could be completely taken out of the story and it wouldn’t have had much affect, if any. I didn’t feel like I really understood any of the characters and, while their motivation for their actions were clear and there was high stakes for the plot, I didn’t feel invested in them by the end of the book.

The Goblins of Bellwater is a fun and quick read. The setting is intriguing and unique and there is a great concept for the plot. The middle of the book was slow for me and didn’t fit the rest of the book and I struggled to connect with the characters.

You Can Buy The Goblins Of Bellwater On Amazon Or At Your Favorite Local Bookstore.
Full review forthcoming................................................................................................................................................................
The premise behind this one was really intriguing but ultimately it became too much about the romantic relationships than about the friendship between the two sisters and the two cousins. I was disappointed that this one didn't delve more into the lore of the goblins and the relationship Kit and his family had to them. I went into this book expecting that but only got an average romance story in return. It's too bad, because I really loved the connection to the Goblin Market.
I'm a big fan of the poem "Goblin Market," so I was totally here for this modernized version of it. All of the fantasy elements were incredibly well done and I enjoyed getting to know the four main characters. My only complaint is that the romance between the two unenchanted characters felt a little forced at times, but that might just be my cynical side talking.
Overall this was an enjoyable read and I loved how magical it was. I wasn't the biggest fan of the actual story line but I did enjoy the writing, the author has a very unique style which I love. It was very atmospheric and bit weird at times which I loved. I think the contemporary aspect is the part that made me not enjoy it as much as I just don't enjoy contemporary all that much.
This is the story of Kit, whose family has been cursed to bring the goblins in the forest gold every full moon. His family has kept records of their interactions since it all started with his grandmother. This curse keeps him from getting too close to people, lest they find out and think he's crazy. His cousin, Grady, has recently moved in with him.
This is also the story of Liv and Skye, who are sisters. They both have had experiences in the forest that make them wonder if there is something out there, but think it has logical explanations. That is until Skye happens to go down one of the mysterious paths that showed up in the woods and ends up cursed. Skye tries to outsmart the curse by claiming a boy she had never met as her mate while in the woods.  This young man is Grady.
Spoilers coming
Grady is hired by Liv to cook for Skye and keep an eye on her, since everyone thinks she is suffering from a sudden form of depression. Very quickly the curse takes over and they can't resist each other.
Finally Liv and Kit start to figure out what is going on and a plan is starting form, along with a relationship between them.
 While this story did keep my attention, there were little things that bothered me through the entire story. The largest one is how quickly Skye and Grady seem to lose nearly all shreds of humanity, even when their closest relatives are in danger, while Flowerwatch has held on to some of her's after at least 75 yrs of being a goblin.
Thank you to #netgalley for allowing me to read and review this title.
I ended up not being able to finish this once, which makes me sad because I really was looking forward to it. The premise sounded really good but then it just didn't meet my expectations
Wait. wrong book.

Classic retelling of a fairy poem with a modern twist. While the writing is lush and the characters are engaging, the story's uneven romantic arcs are its downfall. Readers will enjoy the comparisons to other books, such as The Darkest Part of the Forest (Holly Black), but may also be satisfied by the gothic atmosphere of the woods and the tenacious nature of the goblins.
Despite this book being slow to get into, overall, I found it to be an enjoyable read. The concept and the writing were easy to follow but at times I did feel it just missed the mark. It often left me feeling confused and uncertain of what exactly was happening but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was expecting after it being compared to something like Wintersong. The goblins were not something to be admired but rather something to be feared and often I think that was glazed over. Overall, not a bad read, just definitely not what i was expecting.