An American Marriage

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2018

This book will provide stimulating discussion for a book club and allow all readers to ponder aspects of life that they may not have considered in depth before.  Celestial and Roy are newlyweds on the brink of beginning their exciting lives together..  When Roy is unjustly accused of a crime he didn't commit, their lives quickly begin to unravel.  He is sent to prison where he encounters situations that will transform him forever.  Meanwhile, on the home front, Celestial is having her own adjustment problems and, understandably so.
Jones is such a talented writer.  She makes you feel the angst and injustice of the story plot.  Looking forward to her next book!
I really enjoyed this novel.  What a great introduction into seeing the life of a black man and the many challenges that effect his life and those around  him.  I was so affected by this novel that I had trouble falling asleep just thinking about the main characters and the life that they had lived.
What a read. A realistic examination of a how a relationship would morph when a horrible wrench is thrown in the mix. Beautifully written with well developed complex characters.
This has gotten so much buzz but it fell kind of short for me. I loved the premise but ended up being underwhelmed by the content. Moments of brilliant writing contrasted with some that was muddled and convoluted. I feel a little disappointed because I wanted/expected it to be better.
This is one of my favorite novels ever. The story is so fitting for our troubled times when many white people just aren't getting what's at stake with race relations in 2018. Tayari Jones gives the reader so many issues to think about, not just in a big picture sense, but also when it comes to standing by family and loved ones.
I really tired to like this book in the end. I really did. I just could never connect with the characters. It had a great start to the book but then it took a wide turn and never corrected itself.
After finishing this novel, I tried hard to recollect in how many novels did I read that so quietly and poignantly explore the intimacy of marriage with African American characters.  I remember almost ten years ago reading her first two novels and one thing remains the same--her grasp of those quiet moments and the language of the unspoken.  I loved this novel and will continue to support Mrs. Jones work.
My Rating:  5 Stars

I read Tayari Jones’ previous novel, Silver Sparrow, and enjoyed the book and her writing style, so I was eager to read her latest novel, American Marriage.  Both books are set in Atlanta, and I seem to have strange little connections to both books.  In this most recent one, she mentions a street I used to live on, a date that was my Dad’s birth date, a majorette (I was one in high school), and there was another odd one that I can’t remember now.  Even without the odd connections, her beautiful writing grabs my attention.

Celestial and Roy are a young married couple with big dreams and living a good life.  They grew up with different backgrounds: Roy came from a working class family but received a scholarship to college and is now an executive. Celestial comes from a family with a higher socioeconomic status after her father made it big from an invention.  She is an up and coming artist who makes unique dolls.  They are on a trip back to Louisiana so Celestial can meet Roy’s family when tragedy strikes and he is falsely accused of a crime and arrested because he is a black man.  The book examines race in our culture and how African Americans are treated differently than white people, but it also goes beyond that to explore what happens to a couple early in their marriage facing a difficult battle and what are the ripple effects of injustices not only on the victim but his friends and family.  Should a a spouse remain loyal when her husband has been locked away in jail for years?  How does the marriage change?  The story initially is told in alternating first person narrative between Celestial and Roy but then switches to letters between them and from Celestial’s best friend growing up, Andre, while Roy is imprisoned.

In addition to the compelling writing and story, these characters are real and well-drawn.  I really felt their pain and struggles.  I definitely recommend you read this book, and I think it would be a good book for book groups to discuss.
I enjoyed this thought provoking #diversespines March selection.  AN AMERICAN MARRIAGE had me on an emotional rollercoaster and I’m still thinking about it 4 weeks later.  Tayari delivered an authentic story with many themes and layers.  Whether you are talking about the roles of fathers, class, education, marriage, black men in America, the American justice system, family or love this book will catapult you into a wide rage of conversations.

Although this book had many layers the most poignant moment for me was after I finished the book.  A friend asked me how did I come to the conclusion that the woman who accused Roy of rape  was a white woman when the author never mentioned race.  I was shocked when I came to the realization that Tayari had not mentioned race & that my conclusion was made totally from life experiences.  My conversation instantly became one of how the title “American” made think about our justice system, the discrimination against black people, the ideology to fear the black man, the myth surrounding black fathers and mass incarceration all played a role in my framing my conclusion. I have since posed this question to other readers & all of the responses vary.  Oh how I love the power of a story.

And then there’s the other word in the title, “Marriage”. During my @litonhst bookclub meeting I was able to see several point of views from readers on how they thought the newness of Roy and Celestial’s marriage, the foundation on which it was built and their backgrounds all impacted their trajectory.  The false imprisonment of Roy had me pondering on what it truly means “to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.” Although I was #TeamRoy, no one really knows how they would react in a situation until they are standing toe to toe with a dilemma.
Oprah was right, “this story is so juicy you’re going to want to talk to someone about it.” I still need to talk!
This book was absolutely incredible.  Hands down one of my top reads of 2018 and so deserving of all the hype that it has received.
This book took me a little while to get into. The beginning was a little slow but once about half way through I was invested in the characters and wanted to know how it would turn out.
Excellent read and very thoughtful examination of a topic that needs as much coverage as it can get in this country. I commend Tayari Jones looking straight at the impact of a justice system in the context of the relationship that is impacted by it directly and profoundly. Essential reading.
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones is one of those stories where I didn't like any of the characters, but I easily and quickly read through the book. Jones' writing is engaging enough that I was able to get annoyed when the characters just refused to take responsibility for their own actions causing the problems and complications in their lives. I started out having plenty of empathy for the situation that Celestial and Roy found themselves in, but my good will quickly ran out.

Celestial being willing to stay with Roy in order to support him in a situation that is terrifying for both of them, made me want to see her as what she thinks that she is; a strong woman who knows in her heart what is right. But dang if Celestial starts falling off that pedestal almost immediately. And Roy. Heaven help me I wanted to be behind him as well, but his decisions didn't exactly make me think of him as a solid man.

The first part of An American Marriage hooked me in and made me want to keep reading, however the second half is where things went wrong for me as a reader. Celestial and Roy became so ridiculous in their actions that it was more like soap opera characters than people dealing with the fall out from their serious difficulties. Although, the writing is good, I just didn't have much empathy for Celestial and Roy.

Because I do enjoy the way that Tayari Jones writes, I will read another of her books in the hopes that I will enjoy the characters more.
Celestial and Roy are one of those couples that epitomizes the New South, an artist and an aspiring businessman, graduates of Spelman and Morehouse. Then, on a trip to Louisiana to visit his parents, Roy is accused of a rape he doesn't commit and sentenced to twelve years in jail. Mostly told through letters, this is the story of the tests to their marriage as their time apart exceeds their time together and its contrasted with their parents' relationships and the new relationships they build as their individual lives move in different directions. Poignant.
I must admit that I am underwhelmed by this book. After all the hype and other reviews, I was expecting more. I feel like I must have missed or overlooked something. I didn't much care about the characters and the story was depressing. However, I did like the author's writing style and would be willing to give her another try. This one just wasn't for me.
Part of review from Goodreads: "I enjoyed this book. Walking away from it I take the knowledge that empathy and understanding is what we should have for incarcerated individuals. You don't know the full story, so don't judge."
Told from three connected points of view, the characters were developed very well.  I empathized with all three of them.  I loved this book!
This book had me hooked on the very first page. "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who leave home, and those who don't."- Great first sentence.

"Home" is an interesting theme throughout this book. Roy and Celestial are newly married and at the precipice of living the American dream. After only a year of marriage, Roy is accused of a crime that his wife knows for a fact that he did not commit. But after he is arrested and sentenced to spend time in prison (this isn't a spoiler, the book jacket sets the scene right away). He's ripped away from the home they thought they were going to build together.

This couple started out with a once-in-a-lifetime love, one that they thought would stand the test of time and anything life might throw in their path. But maybe they were just being naive. I was equal parts happy and sad throughout this entire book. My heart was torn in two for this couple.

What I love most about the book is the courageous hearts of Roy and Celestial. African American roots have made their sense of family and pride strong. Celestial is strong, independent and determine have the life she always wanted.

But what she wanted was a successful career and lifetime of happiness with her husband by her side. And that's not what she got. What she got was 12 years of uncertainty and a broken heart, because the man she loved has been accused of an unthinkable crime. Does she stay by his side? Is she strong enough to live without him but still keep their marriage intact? How can a woman who has built her own success from the ground up, who has always been independent and head strong, have so much need for a man? And for Roy, how can a man accused and shamed for something he says he did not do, keep his pride?

Can Celestial stay married to a man behind bars? Is he the same man she married? Is it fair to ask her to wait for him? Is a marriage based on love or circumstance? All of the questions are beautifully answered in this unforgettable story.

There are twists in this book; secrets that the characters are keeping from the reader that come as a shock and make you doubt if you even like them anymore. But in the end, you will love them and you'll never forget this story.
This is an amazing book -- it deserves every ounce of praise and recognition it's gotten! I loved it!
I really enjoyed Tayari Jones' previous novel Silver Sparrow so I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this book. It was so worth the wait. This is a fantastic novel and I could not put it down. I love how Jones uses a compelling story to explore themes of mass incarceration and what it is like to be black in the American South. I also loved how marriage was explored in this novel. This is one of those novels that would be perfect for discussing with other readers ... there is just so much in this novel that needs to be discussed with others. I've also heard a few people talk about how this would pair well with The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness which I definitely sound right based on what I've heard/read about that one.

This book was so well written. The characters were fantastic - well drawn, multi-faceted, and complex. They make this really beautiful and raw story come alive on the page. The exploration of relationships can be difficult to do well but Tayari Jones really excels. This book kept me riveted. I think it may be one of the best books about marriage that I've read in some time. It really gave me a great deal to think about as a wife, a daughter and a person in the world. It's a really thoughtful and interesting novel that I highly recommend!