The Recipient

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Jun 2017

a fast paced and easy to read book. I personally wasn't completely taken by this book but it was a nice enough book and overall entertaining.
DNF!

This is one of those novels that explains everything! We don't always need every single detail, it gets so tedious! Every bit of speech had a "she said", "he suggested", "she asked" etc which gets super irritating when there's a big conversation happening!

This is a perfect example of the meme about a male author writing a female character. I hate the cliche of a sexy & exercised woman who's into super techy stuff. It's so unoriginal and cringey. The amount of descriptions of her perfect body got so weird!

The story gripped me from the start, but it quickly died and away and I found I couldn't muster the energy to want to know how this one was going to go.

Thanks to Netgalley and Central Avenue Publishing for giving me this opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review. Sorry I didn't like it!
By receiving someone's heart, do you receive their memories as well?

This was so good. I hadn't read anything like it, and it was twisty and suspenseful. I loved the suspense and the roller coaster ride that I was taken on.

Thank you to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Central Avenue Publishing and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Recipient.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Peter Schillinge's daughter is of ill health, with a failing heart acting like a ticking time bomb in her chest.  Casey has been ravaged by a disease caused by a tropical worm, which she picked up on a trip to Southeast Asia.  A heart becomes available and in the succeeding years, Casey has the feeling that the heart is a separate entity.  When her professional activities skirt the edges of legality, what is the true cause of her change of personality?  When Casey's irrational feelings are finally validated by certain realizations, will she be able to help her own mental health?

The Recipient has a good premise and main character, but the author takes entirely too much time to get to the heart of the matter.  As a suspense thriller, the moments of anticipation are so few and far between that the book loses its focus.  When the author finally gets the plot moving, the story picks up, but it is far too late.  As far as thrillers go, The Recipient was a missed opportunity for me.
I was so excited when I found out I was approved to read this book.  However, when I went to Netgalley, the title was already archived.
I really tried with this one. I was so intrigued by the premise and dove in immediately but it was super slow moving and just dragged. I'm a fast reader and if I'm hooked I'll read nonstop - with this one I'd pick it up, get bored and put it down for a couple of weeks, come back and start the cycle all over again. I definitely think there is talent here but I thought the characters were shallow and unrealistic. The main character is not going to tell the team of doctors dedicated to her that she's having debilitating nightmares to the point that she has to be institutionalized! DNF at 60%.

Thank you to NetGalley and Central Avenue Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A heart stopper in more ways than one!  Casey is an adventurous girl but comes home from a trip to discover she's picked up something nasty that has badly damaged her heart.  After a transplant she has some dreadful nightmares and literally cannot rest, nor will do so, until she finds out why.  She doesn't seem to be terribly nice, especially to members of her own family and comes across as being really self-centred, so it's hard to feel any sympathy for her.  The first half of the book is a bit on the slow side and only springs to life as she begins to solve the mystery when there is action aplenty.  Good style of writing but maybe some bits of it could've been shortened.  Loved the cover and I would definitely pick it up for a closer look if it was on a bookshop shelf.
Casey used to be adventurous and full of life until she went on a trip with her friends and contracted a tropical disease, leaving her with a failing heart. Eventually she gets a donor heart and transplant, but along with the heart come nightmares and a certain darkness sets in that wasn't there before. Casey becomes estranged from her parents and spends most of her time alone, abusing drugs to stay up days at a time. Eventually though the dreams get the better of her and send her to the hospital, leading to her search into the life of the girl whose heart she received.

This book was terrible, I feel bad writing negative reviews but obviously not bad enough to not do it. It's just the writing was so immature and I honestly don't even have adequate vocabulary to describe writing so I'm not sure how to explain what bothered me so much about this book. I think a lot of it had to do with the constant telling rather than showing and the way all the characters felt flat and more like caricatures than real people. This book was just missing complexity with the plot and character development. Also I had trouble buying that the nightmares drove Casey to such an extreme and different state of mind, I have nightmares every night and honestly you just learn to sleep through them, like my parents complain about me screaming at night but I wake up well rested so. Also the dream itself didn't seem that bad and I still don't think the reasons she had for hiding them made any sense. I get that she was in pain but it was just hard to believe.
I'm not an avid reader of contemporary thrillers, I tend to be quite picky with them. This one won me over, though, when I read the blurb. When I was younger, about 13-14 years old, I wanted to become a surgeon and perform transplants. For a number of reasons I decided upon a different career but my interest in the field remains strong. There is a plethora of articles and theories about recipients whose personality was altered after the operation to a significant degree. Some of them were said to acquire traits of their donors. I don't know whether I believe this to be true, but this was a good reason for me to be interested in the novel.

This premise is taken to a whole different degree here and it is very difficult to say anything about the story. However, I think that in order to pay attention to it, we must suspend all disbelief, because there are certain points and issues that are quite problematic, in my opinion. Casey starts being troubled by insomnia and horrific nightmares after her surgery and her personality as a whole has been altered. At least, this is what everyone around her claim throughout the book. In all honesty, this was tiresome. I saw no problem with her at all. To my poor mind, it is obvious that anyone who suffers from problematic sleep or lack of it is bound to be irritable and troubled. You should try to disagree with me after a bad night. I mean, the dragon is awaken. For some strange reason, this seems to elude the doctor's fine judgment. Their answer is that Casey is a psychopath...

Casey is just about the only thing the writer got right in terms of the cast. She is a young woman who is certain and confident in her abilities and her judgment and perfectly aware of her troubles. She is determined to solve everything, despite everyone trying to convince her to "have some rest". And by "rest" they actually mean "let's lock you up in a clinic, feed you with a spoon while you're a breathing vegetable in order for us to appear as if we’re actually good parents. Which we are not." This was my major annoyance with the book. Perhaps I have been raised in a babble, I don't know, but Casey's parents seemed to me highly unrealistic. Either that or the writer's intention was to make them utterly stupid. Those people couldn't see beyond their bloody noses! Especially Eddie. What mother would behave like that? It's a wonder that Casey managed to keep her wits with parents like those people. Lionel, her grandfather, was the second decent character, although for a man who had served so many years in the police, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and Scott was merely passable, but sympathetic. The villains were indifferent and clichéd, the psychiatrist was an absolute bore and perhaps a bit untrained? I doubt that a capable scientist would make the mistakes she did. Perhaps, the naive characters was the writer's way to emphasize Casey's isolation but the result was rather implausible for me.

The writing lacked spirit and punch to support the story and I could see the solution of the mystery before I reached the 50% mark of the book. How many times can someone gulp and glare in a chapter? The descriptions were repetitive, the dialogue were Hollywood clichés and the overall situation appeared hysteric. Everyone was shouting or crying or staring coldly at someone. You don't create tension and atmosphere in this way. Not when you deal with a story that had some potential....

I know I'm not the right reader for the book since my experience in thrillers isn't extensive, but I recognize a thing or two about good and bad writing. So, while the story was interesting and the pace was adequate, the execution wasn't satisfying at all. Perhaps I am spoiled by the Nordic writers but The Recipient didn't meet my demands. Give it a try and see whether it meets yours.

Many thanks to Central Avenue Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book! It was so beautiful! Characters were sublime and the plot was otherworldly!
This book took me forever to get into it and for it to really pick up but once it did I loved it and had to finish. Not to mention it has a gorgeous cover.
Casey is a bright and vibrant student, backpacking with friends when she contracts a deadly tropical disease. Her condition leads to cardiac failure, and she is in desperate and sudden need of a heart transplant. Casey’s parents are devastated, and begin to say their goodbyes to their only daughter – but at the last minute, a viable heart is found and Casey is given a second chance at life.

Healthwise, Casey is back to normal after completing the required rehabilitation – but emotionally, she is like a completely different person. Quiet and withdrawn, Casey begins to avoid her family. Her agoraphobia is brought on by fear and the violent nightmares that keep her awake at night. She resorts to extreme measures to stay awake, including drugs and other borderline criminal activities – even her job as a computer hacker straddles the line of legitimate work, catching the attention of local police. However, no matter what she does, the night terrors continue to get worse.

After Casey injures herself while in the midst of a nightmare, her grandfather comes to live with her in order to monitor her health. With his help, Casey decides that the only way the nightmares will stop is if she discovers their source once and for all. She begins a frantic search to get to the root of the problem, putting her health and wellbeing at risk once again. Along the way, Casey makes a shocking discovery about the donor of her heart, who was killed in suspicious and potentially violent circumstances. As she delves deeper, Casey realizes that her dreams may be based in reality, and she cannot trust anyone around her.

There’s not much else I can say without spoiling the fun of letting this thriller unfold for the reader. Casey’s story has great pacing – it’s plot-driven, but also has interesting characters, even in the background. The medical and technological issues are not completely explained in a convincing way, but it didn’t matter because the story was fun and exciting enough to carry me along. The novel is packed with intrigue, terror and villains, and even though there are paranormal aspects, it’s easy to suspend disbelief and just go with it. It also happens to have an Australian setting, and the backdrop of Melbourne and the surrounding areas are interesting while not distracting from the story. The Recipient has its flaws, but the entertainment value makes it well worth the read.

I received this book from Central Avenue Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Very suspenseful.  I thought the story dragged in a couple of places but when it caught speed...it flew.  Heart recipient, Casey Schillinge, is a great character...not a whiny door mat but a stand up chick that gets a little...okay more than a little... nuts.  Add a friend named Sasquatch, a wise grandfather, an over protective father, and sexy but weird doctors and you've a story that will keep you guessing and steal your breath away. I bought this for our library and I have recommended it to many readers. This is a great but  dark story.
I did not know what to expect when I requested this book via NetGalley. I had never read any of the author's work but the books seemed like it would be interesting. Was I right!!!! This book is very good and the premise is a good one. A young lady reiceved a heart from a donor. Things are fine until she starts experiencing nightmares and her whole persona changes. Is she taking on things, thoughts, feelings from the donor? Read this book and find out. The beginning of the book seemed to be a bit busy, but stick with it. You will be glad you did. The ending was very, very good. Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the ARC of this good book in return for my honest review.
The Recipient by Dean Mayes is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early June.

After her heart is infested with a rare strain of worms while in Southeast Asia, Casey is slated for a heart transplant. Yet, during her PT and post-care (and work as a hacker for hire), she dreams of her donor's murder. This leads her to track down her donor's identity and their killer, who just might be tied to the company that she has been contracted to hack, and a 'race against time' and the clarity of her dreams to bring down that company from the inside out.
Great story! Looking forward to reading more by this author! Highly recommend!
Found this on Netgalley. And why not I enjoy thrillers, particularly ones of international variety. This wasn't particularly thrilling though and for that matter not all that exotic either, Australia here seems peculiarly American, even if elevators are lifts. A basic plot involves an organ recipient who along with the lifesaving gift receives some interesting extras, like agoraphobia, fondness for art and violent memories, all belonging to the former owner of the said organ. When three years of pot and trying to ignore the situation don't work out, the young woman sets of to investigate what happened to her organ donor. Pretty straight forward plot, executed competently, if not excitingly. I wasn't particularly drawn in by it and it was somewhat too long for what it was, but it was perfectly serviceable and might entertain a less discriminating genre fans. Thanks Netgalley.
Thank you Net Galley for the free ARC.
Alas,not my kind of story.
I appreciate this author granting me the wish of reading this book because I have been very excited to give this a go. Unfortunately this book was just not my cup of tea don't get me wrong I think the plotline is great and love the cover, the book is well written. But from the beginning I felt like the story was slow to get to anything with some meat. I like books that captivate me from the beginning all the way through but this book fell short for me from the beginning I just wanted more to keep me wanting more.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read The Recipient.
A young woman with heart problems is fortunate to receive a transplant at the time she needs one desperately.  Fast forward - now a young adult, Casey, is still adjusting to her new heart.  But Casey suffers from alot of worries - she can't sleep, she can't go outside, she doesn't like crowds, and she likes to be alone.
Soon Casey finds that someting is really going on with her heart and she searches to find the answers with the donor.  That's where the nightmare begins.
Fast paced and engrossing. Good Beach Read!