Reported Missing

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Aug 2017

Great novel. It has a bit of everything including some great unexpected twists and turns,
The premise of this was very intriguing and I did like the remote town setting - unfortunately the plot, probably because of the first person narration, fell a bit flat for me I'm afraid. She asked herself an awful lot of questions and drank excessively which really annoyed me . Realistic sadly but my heart dropped when she did it once, then again, then headed out of her caravan park at night. Not wise, Rebecca.  I didn't like Rebecca at all and that coloured the whole book sadly. I reacted strongly to her but then I guess that is the mark of a good writer!
I knew I would enjoy this book as soon as I read the prologue which i did three times! I warmed to Rebecca straight away and felt what she was going through. I also enjoyed reading about the times in the club Barnacles as i used to work in a club myself and the setting and descriptions Sarah used were spot on and felt like i was there.. I raced through the book desperate to know what had happened to Kayleigh and Chris. I was slightly disappointed with the ending though as i felt it didn't really tell me what happened to Chris. Had he jumped or just disappeared? I did really enjoy thie book though and would recommend it.
I really enjoyed this book, it was suspensful, emotional and kept me wanting to keep reading as I just has to see what was going to happen next.  I really had a hard time putting it down.  I enjoyed the story line and characters and their complex lives and the dynamics around them.  A very well written book, a really great read.
I give Reported Missing by Sarah Wray 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 stars.  I will tell you why in a minute.

To say Rebecca is having a rough time is an understatement.  One day, her husband goes to work and never comes back.  In other news, there's a 14 year old girl, Kaleigh, who went missing the same day.

Are they linked together?  The public sure thinks so. Rebecca is getting phone calls, being followed, being taunted. The police are unable to share any information and she is living her life in limbo.

Stars be gone...

The story itself was excellent. Sarah Wray's writing is good for a first time novelist. But, there's always a but, the first quarter of the book was...  So. Darn. Slow.  I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a feel for the troubled life Rebecca was leading in less than 25% of the book.  That's the reason for the loss of a whole star.

The other half of the missing star was because even though it became interesting after 25%, the book pace seemed very slow to me.  Thus, 3.5 stars for me - rounded up for the good story.

Stars be here...

On the other hand, Sara Wray's Reported missing fully earned it's 3.5 stars that I did give.  Once I got past the 25% point, we finally got into the meat of the story. While there wasn't much emotional ups and downs for me, Sarah Wray did a really good job of keeping the ending a secret.  This drew me into the book (instead of doing chores uh hem) easily because I was really dying to see what was going to happen in the end.

The ending was unexpected and that's always a bonus for me.

P.S.  Isn't that a gorgeous book cover?

Thank you bookouture, Netgalley, and Sarah Wray for an advanced copy of Reported Missing. My opinions are my own and not biased in any way.
How well do you know anyone?  Even those closest to you?  When someone vanishes, suspicions are cast in all directions, rumours spread and many lives disintegrate.  When two vanish simultaneously, it's worse.  The turmoil left behind is unbearable.  This is Sarah Wray's first book and I shall certainly read more in the future.  Different t my usual thriller but highly enjoyable.
Without a doubt, this debut novel is going to hit the right notes for a ton of readers. For me, however, it fell a little bit flat.

For sure, it's a solid plot and the writing is very good; and overall, I enjoyed reading it and give it 4 stars without hesitation. For the most part, what colored my experience, I think, is that I've read too many of late with a similar theme: A spouse/lover/child suddenly goes missing (or is accused of a crime, or both), and the remaining spouse/lover/parent desperately tries to figure out what happened while refusing to believe what others insist is true. Whether the chapters reflect the perspective of a single person (as is the case here) or alternates points of view among several characters, each one adds "clues" that crescendo to an ending that's intended to knock readers' socks off.

All that happens here as well, to a woman named Rebecca Pendle. In the midst of a seemingly happy married life, her husband Chris Harding suddenly disappears without a trace from Shawmouth, the small English town to which they'd recently moved from the hustle and bustle of London. That same day, 14-year-old Kayleigh Jackson went missing as well, leading authorities to suspect the two disappearances might be connected. In short order, many of the townspeople turn against Rebecca - as do some of her former friends and neighbors, who now taunt and shun her because she was close to a person they believe to be a pedophile or worse.

Rebecca, of course, still loves Chris and doesn't believe for a second that he's played any role in the young girl's disappearance. To escape, she relocates to a rather seedy "caravan" park; but even here, she can't get away from the rumors and things that go bump in the night. And little by little, clues crop up that make her begin to doubt how much she really knew her husband - for instance, the fact that he never told her he'd been fired from his job two weeks before he disappeared.

Rebecca narrates her attempts to ferret out the truth, which often take her to places she knows she shouldn't go and to people she knows don't want to see or hear her. The clues she picks up here and there, though, only add to her self-doubt, angst and paranoia. And here is where I really got bogged down. Admittedly, I come from a sturdy stock of female role models, but never in a million years would I allow myself to be victimized by other people's words or actions. Certainly, I can understand the emotional toll of not knowing, say, whether a missing loved one is alive or dead and the need to get answers; but only up to a point. Rebecca reaches that level early on and then drags it to an all-new high. By the halfway mark, I had a single nerve left - a frazzled one at that - and she was standing square on the middle of it. From then on, I remained interested in learning who did what, but I really didn't care a whit how, or even if, Rebecca herself survived.

But that, folks, is just me. As I said at the beginning, this is a solid effort that I expect - and hope - will do well. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review it.
Promising debut psychological thriller from Sarah Wray. The dialect, character development, and character interactions paint a perfect picture of the setting of the novel. The prologue gives an ominous foreshadow and sets a dark tone for the book. The first chapter picks up as the main character, Rebecca, is once again under attack from friends of the missing girl, Kayleigh. They are accusing Rebecca's husband, Chris, of kidnapping and inappropriate relations with Kayleigh, as they have been for the past four months. The fact of the case is that Chris and Kayleigh went missing on the same day. Appeals were made for information to their whereabouts, and appeals for them to return home. Eventually the media had to take a side in their reporting and, as is usually the case, they took the one with the juciest angle.

The plot slowly and methodically builds, almost seeming to drag on until the latter part of the book. Rebecca is wrought with guilt and despair as she desperately tries to find clues to her husband's whereabouts and attempts to clear his name. She experiences bizarre coincidences along with the continued verbal assault from Kayleigh's friends. At times you begin to wonder if Rebecca's drinking is to blame for certain things or if she has entered a twilight zone of sorts.

Everything culminates into a shocking conclusion that you may be able to guess if you are paying close attention throughout. I was somewhat disappointed in the ending because some things are left unanswered, but overall it's still a good read. Hopefully there is more to the story to tell in Sarah Wray's next book. I would recommend this book to fans of suspense and psychological thrillers. I received this as a free ARC from Bookouture on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Fast paced, grippy storyline, absolutely brilliant. By far one of the best books of this year up to now.
An interesting read which proves that things are not always as they seem. Should you always assume the obvious? Sometimes events in life are just coincidental. This book is just the right length and the short chapters keep the pace moving the whole way through the book. The author does a clever job of leading the reader down one path when they should be considering another.
Four month before Rebecca Pendle’s husband had disappeared but she’s had a tough time getting the police or other area residents to care that he is missing since on that same day fourteen year old Kayleigh Jackson also vanished without a trace. From the very start everyone assumed that since a young girl was gone that Rebecca’s husband must have been the one who took her.

Now Rebecca is staying as off the grid as she can to avoid the whispers, stares and sometimes even threats that she must have known what her husband was up to. All Rebecca wants are answers since she’s never believed her husband could have anything to do with the missing girl and that their marriage was solid until his disappearance.

I went into Reported Missing extremely excited to read this story as it reminded me a great deal of a story that had been on the news recently here in the US. There was an older male that had left with a teenage girl and of course the controversy to the story came with did the girl go willingly or was it kidnapping? And regardless the man should not have taken off with an underage girl so the hunt was on to find that man. My thoughts had always wandered to the wife that was left behind and felt this story was extremely close to that situation.

The first few chapters of this book had my attention for sure learning of how Rebecca was still somewhat in mourning for her husband and unable to face that he may have been involved. There’s also be the build up of everyone being against her and her husband without a bit of proof that the two disappearances had anything to do with one another. But that was where it fell a bit apart in my opinion, the story just sort of stalls in that mode without much progress and leaving the reading just hanging on for something, anything exciting to happen. By the end of this one the slow pacing just had about done me in in really caring who had done what so this one only rates in at about 2.5 stars for me.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
I thought this book had a really interesting premise, but I was never sure that it lived up to the potential of the idea.

Whilst I didn't expect the tone of this book to be light and happy based on the subject matter, I wasn't prepared for it to be as dark and gloomy as it was. The main character wasn't the type that I felt close to throughout the story, and I felt like the author took this too slow. I kept wanting something major to happen that would keep me hooked and turning pages, but it never happened. Even when the truth was revealed toward the end, I kind of just shrugged. It felt like effort to get there, so it wasn't all that enjoyable.

This wasn't a bad book, but I certainly wouldn't say it was one of the better psychological thrillers that I've read, either. The story moved from one event to another, but without much excitement and at a relatively slow pace. Perhaps if I could have felt more connected to the main character I would have enjoyed it more. I was hoping for a better turnout at the ending, perhaps a surprise that I didn't see coming, but that didn't happen either.

It is a thought provoking book, but one that I wouldn't read again.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher, provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Loved this, real page turner that I read in one sitting, good one the edge of your seat read.
I thought this psychological thriller sounded intriguing. It starts about 4 months after a 14 year old girl named Kayleigh went missing. Rebecca's husband, Chris, disappeared on the same day, and Rebecca is the only one who believes it is a coincidence. This book definitely had good potential, but unfortunately, I did not like it.

The story is told in first person narrative, from the Rebecca’s point of view, and it did not work for me. The first 2/3 of the book felt very slow and drawn out, although it picked up towards the end. Overall, there were too many and too long sections just with the thoughts that are going on inside Rebecca’s head. I had a very hard time connecting with her and did not care what happened (in fact, there was not a single character in the book that I liked). At the end, I did not care if Rebecca found out what had happened to her husband and Kayleigh or not, or what happened to Rebecca.
Thank you Sarah Wray and Netgalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I am finding it hard to review this book as I have mixed emotions about it.
A great idea for a novel.I sped through, so no unnecessary rambling on by the characters in my opinion. . An ending that satisfies the reader but still leaves a mystery behind.  But a little something was missing..... I'm just not sure what.
A satisfactory read.
Your husband goes missing the same day as a 14 year old girl. How does that affect your life - your home, work, friends, your mind? I really enjoyed this different take on the thriller genre. The story focusses mainly on the effect the situation has on the wife rather than the events themselves. I found myself sympathizing and alternately agonising over the main character as she navigated her life in the aftermath of her husband going missing. There is plenty to keep the reader engaged throughout and the story concludes satisfactorily - I won't give anything away but suffice to say its well worth a read.
Is this a mutually exclusive incident or did both Chris and Kayleigh disappear together?Rebecca is trying to come to terms with small town gossips and rumours about her husband and his disappearance. Did Chris and Kayleigh run away together?Contains quite a long drawn episode of events before eventually reaching the actual facts surrounding them both.
It is another "marmite" effect; some like it and others won't! My reaction when I finished the book was is this it?
The characterisation, and descriptions were very good and I liked Sarah Wray's style of writing but the plot, albeit a good one, took so long in the telling that I nearly gave up!  Chapter upon chapter was given to unnecessary flowery writing that had nothing to do with the actual storyline and I found I was speed reading through most of them.  The conclusion was disappointing and not conclusive  and so no, am afraid I would not recommend this book and would hesitate in reading another by this author.
I received this as an ARC from NETGalley.  The premise of this book in the summary sounded really good but reading the actual book was a different story. I did not like this book.  It took me so long just to get into it at all.  The plot is SO slow moving and the characters are pretty uninteresting.  The main character Rebecca's husband went missing the same day as a 14 yo girl from their town.  There is much speculation and assumption that her husband Chris's disappearance is related to the girl's disappearance.  The story is so drawn out with countless scenes and other things going on that I had a hard time finishing the book at all. I really just wanted to know what happened at the end and the outcome of the story was seriously disappointing as well.  I was hoping for a really great ending but it just wasn't there.  I was really disappointed with this book and I think the story could have been WAY better!