Of Mess and Moxie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Mar 2019

Part hysterically funny how to guides, part genuine encouragement and advice for mothers, siblings, wives, and all women, with a recipe thrown in to simplify your life on grocery shopping days.
I would recommend this book most of all for any woman who feels defeated, downtrodden, tired, or less than. It is highly encouraging and empowering for women of all ages and life stages, and will remind you of how powerful you are to effect positive change and improve your life and your perspective on your situation, whatever it may be. All women are mighty, and this book will remind you why and empower you to embrace the mess and go do that thing, with moxie.
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.  I enjoyed reading this so much, and will read again many times in the future.

Reading this book, author, Jen Hatmaker was able to make me feel like we were two best friends, sitting having lunch together, and her just sharing thoughts and stories to help me feel like I was not alone, and could get through this thing we call life, not just struggling through, but with purpose and a smile on my face!
#NetGalley  #OfMessandMoxie
I enjoyed the individual stories, the flow between chapters felt a bit lacking, well, flow, maybe this is one best read on paper and not in a digital format, I struggled with the format; not the content. I hope Jen writes a cookbook someday!
I wanted to love this book. I follow her on social media, and she's warm and funny and sometimes makes me cry. She's one of those social media personalities that you feel like you know. I was excited to read this book; I was expecting it to be both funny and meaningful, and it was kind of both. Kind of. There were moments. But mostly it felt both preachy.
I loved this book’s honesty, laugh out loud humor, and “keeping it real-ness!” It was like reading a good friend’s blog or Facebook posts. You keep going back to read more! There were some tough conversations, too. I enjoyed reading her insights and perspectives. I loved the snark, but I also appreciated her sharing the real mess of life- not the perfect moments only.

(Posted on Amazon and Goodreads too)
INFO:
Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker
Published: August 2017
Pages: 224 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction, Spiritual
Source: NetGalley

SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS: “New York Times bestselling author Jen Hatmaker, with playful hilarity, shameless honesty, and refreshing insight, assures readers they have all the pluck they need for vibrant, courageous, grace-filled lives.

Jen Hatmaker believes backbone is the birthright of every woman. Women have been demonstrating resiliency and resolve since forever. They have incredibly strong shoulders to bear loss, hope, grief, and vision. She laughs at the days to come is how the ancient wisdom writings put it.

But somehow women have gotten the message that pain and failure mean they must be doing things wrong, that they messed up the rules or tricks for a seamless life. As it turns out, every last woman faces confusion and loss, missteps and catastrophic malfunctions, no matter how much she is doing "right." Struggle doesn't mean they're weak; it means they're alive.

Jen Hatmaker, beloved author, Big Sister Emeritus, and Chief BFF, offers another round of hilarious tales, frank honesty, and hope for the woman who has forgotten her moxie. Whether discussing the grapple with change ("Everyone, be into this thing I'm into! Except when I'm not. Then everyone be cool.") or the time she drove to the wrong city for a fourth-grade field trip ("Why are we in San Antonio?"), Jen parlays her own triumphs and tragedies into a sigh of relief for all normal, fierce women everywhere who, like her, sometimes hide in the car eating crackers but also want to get back up and get back out, to live undaunted "in the moment" no matter what the moments hold.”

MY THOUGHTS:
Jen Hatmaker is hilarious. Hi-lar-i-ous! I loved her so much while I was reading this book! She is so relatable and fun. She made me want to be her best friend. She speaks to a number of topics that face women specifically, in this book. She talks about motherhood, careers, families, faith… She lets a lot of her flaws hang out there and she makes you love her for it. It will make you say Aha! It’s not only me! Or FINALLY, someone said it out loud! But the thing I loved most about her was that she was just a great example of a loving Christian. If every Christian presented the face that she presents to the world, I think we would have a lot more Christians. I strive to present this face to the outside world. The face that says: Jesus loves me and I’m a hot mess! And He will totally love you too, no matter what. Not only that, I will demonstrate that love to you without judgment. Some people think that Christians need to just teach the world how to behave, but the Holy Spirit is the one who convicts people, we are called to LOVE. And I think that Jen Hatmaker shares Jesus’ love to the world. And she shares her love with those of us who sometimes feel like we are doing a terrible job at everything! She lets us know – it’s OK, we all feel like that sometimes. We are all sisters.

FAVORITE QUOTE: “People may hate us because of Jesus, but they should never hate Jesus because of us. The way we treat others should lead them to only one conclusion: ‘If this is how Jesus loves, then I’m in.’”

YOU NEED THIS BOOK IF: You are a woman! This book just made me sigh with relief so many times as she reached through the pages with her relatability.

RATING:
Entertainment Value: 5
Character: N/A
Voice: 5
Plot: 4-4.5
Overall: 4.5 stars

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
I have wanted to read this one ever since Jen started talking about it. I knew it would be funny, along the lines of For the Love, another book of hers. It was funny, despite covering topics not necessarily of great importance in the life of a late 20something girl.

It felt at times as if she gave advice to younger girlfriends, letting them in on the ins and outs of life, but without scaring them. This is only the second of Hatmaker's books that I've read, and after having followed her on Instagram for a while now, I know her sense of humour. Be warned, it's not for everyone. She talks in long sentences, uses not-for-everyday-speech words, and sometimes you need to be in a certain mood for it. But the good news is that often you can relate to her stories, which is always desirable from authors.

I appreciated that she mixed three important aspects in this book: she approaches serious topics in one chapter, then switches to a lighter one, a pattern kept throughout the book, and every few chapters she shares a recipe because food is one of ther love languages. I skipped those because I most certainly don't see myself cooking them anytime soon, despite the dismissive they-are-easy-to-make-just-try. Nope, ma'am.

I don't agree with her on all she talks about, but I like her personality, her normal-ness, and her willingness to talk freely about what she cares about. She is bubbly, despite being an introvert. Her large family is quite a tribe. All her family stories are adorable and I appreciated her sharing them with the reading public. I do believe she has a knack for the written word, more so than for podcasting or public speaking; she seems more free to share what she needs to in writing.

I will definitely read more from her if given the chance.
Listened to this as an audio book and found the author just as hilarious and even more real and deep than her other works. There were literally chapters where I had to pause the audio to laugh out loud (even while I was running!).
I enjoy Jen Hatmaker's style of writing. It reminds me of sitting down with a friend and having a funny and honest conversation. I do not always agree with her opinions, but she did have some good messages about loving others and how we as Christians are often more about following rules than leaving our comfort zones to love and serve others. This can deter others from church and Christianity. Guilty as charged, at times. The book was very readable but it also jumped around a lot. I found it to be worth reading, so I gave it 3 stars.
Hatmaker's latest book is a nice mix of humor, stories and teaching advice.  I appreciated the light-heartedness of the stories and the snickers that slipped out as I was reading.  While not heavy on biblical teaching, I found myself highlighting a few sentences throughout the book to refer to in the future.  I think that women in all walks of life will find content to be relatable.
Cannot go wrong with Jen Hatmaker. Love reading her essays about life - marriage, parenthood through the seasons, and friendships. Perfect book for a book club to discuss.
Jen Hatmaker never disappoints and Of Mess and Moxie is among her best works. Jen has an uncanny ability to peer into our lives and speak to us as thought we aren’t nearly as bad as we think we are. Filled with her usual wisdom, insight and humor, Jen is a REAL Christian woman and the big sister we all want and need in our lives. Refreshing, transparent, and filled with great advice and storytelling, this is an excellent addition to any woman’s library.
This was my first Jen Hatmaker book--I wasn't disappointed! With authenticity and heaps of humour, she delivers a collection of essays about real life, particularly her life as a mom of 5 kids. I have zero children but didn't find this put me off as a single adult. All the way from how to be a "fangirl" to your friends, to the meaning of the sovereignty of God, I was drawn in by her simple but often overlooked knacks for living life well and being a better human in this messed up world. If you're looking for a quick, accessible and hilarious read for your women's group, this is the one!
I'm clearly not the target audience for this book, but I figured I should know who Jen Hatmaker is, so I grabbed a NetGalley copy. A couple chapters in, and I was ready to give up -- I'm not in the circle of girlfriends this book is addressed to and the "dear ones" and similar language was off-putting.

I stuck it out, and was mostly rewarded. The funny stuff here is really funny, and Hatmaker's ridiculous look at parenting should be encouraging. The more serious stuff is less inspiring, oddly, and a bit of a drag.

This one wasn't for me, but I'm not surprised that people love it (or that Hatmaker has such a fanbase). I do think this writing is for a select audience that, despite Hatmaker's general inclusivity, might be surprisingly select (particularly in terms of class and privilege).
I am a big fan of Jen Hatmaker and love following her. I appreciate that she isn’t afraid to stand  for what she believes is right, and enjoy hearing her point of view. Her latest release, Of Mess and Moxie, does not disappoint.
After listening to a podcast Jen did with Rachel Hollis, I just had to read one of her books. This was a great choice for the first one. She's uplifting, funny, and relatable. I will definitely be reading more works by Jen.
Full of wit and humor, Jen finds a way to include religion into this book about girls and women.  A fun read and light hearted but full of tremendous information.
Jen Hatmaker does it again! Everyone's best friend has written another insightful yet hilarious and relatable book to drop all kinds of truth, put a smile on your face, and make you feel A-OK about your life. This book is chock full of laugh-out-loud stories about her family, self-deprecation, real talk, and wisdom. Jen has such a refreshing take on real life as a Christian woman...and on life as a woman in general. As always, she has found the perfect combination of sarcasm and sincerity, and she has given us all permission to be exactly who we are. Since she is a mother of five (yowza!), a lot of her book was about parenting and didn't really relate to me, but I think as a whole, women of any age and any stage of life could find some real nuggets of truth and wisdom and hilarity in her words. This one is for allllll the women out there who feel less than, like they're messing everything up, like they're disappointing people, and like they're just barely keeping it together. But it's also for all the women who feel like they're absolutely killing it and living their best life. And for everyone in between. It's for all the women out there with all their mess and all their moxie just trying to find the joy in every day life.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is an extremely tedious book. I laboured through pages and pages of "This book is for X, this book is for Y, this book is for this person yada yada yada". After awhile it started to sound like overcompensation. A person who's taking pride in their flaws does not need to keep labouring the point. I don't know if the entire book is so but if it's not, 10% of the book is too long to spend on promising what's to come without getting to the point.

This is not even including the super-judgemental, Mean Girls style "I've been so hard done by the world and look now I kick all their asses, DIE for making me feel bad!" attitude the words carry. There are gleeful descriptions like 'The pointy-finger old church lady' to describe someone who critiqued her earlier book. This is not positive. It's defensive, vengeful and toxic.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Hatmaker uses her own personal triumphs and failures as a way to encourage others who might be going through similar situations. I had a lot of friends recommend this book to me, so I was excited to read it, but I think that I'm just in a different part of my life. I can see how mothers with families and children would really appreciate the humor in this book. Great discussion starters for that audience.