Of Mess and Moxie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Mar 2019

I am a big fan of Jen Hatmaker and love following her. I appreciate that she isn’t afraid to stand  for what she believes is right, and enjoy hearing her point of view. Her latest release, Of Mess and Moxie, does not disappoint.
After listening to a podcast Jen did with Rachel Hollis, I just had to read one of her books. This was a great choice for the first one. She's uplifting, funny, and relatable. I will definitely be reading more works by Jen.
Full of wit and humor, Jen finds a way to include religion into this book about girls and women.  A fun read and light hearted but full of tremendous information.
Jen Hatmaker does it again! Everyone's best friend has written another insightful yet hilarious and relatable book to drop all kinds of truth, put a smile on your face, and make you feel A-OK about your life. This book is chock full of laugh-out-loud stories about her family, self-deprecation, real talk, and wisdom. Jen has such a refreshing take on real life as a Christian woman...and on life as a woman in general. As always, she has found the perfect combination of sarcasm and sincerity, and she has given us all permission to be exactly who we are. Since she is a mother of five (yowza!), a lot of her book was about parenting and didn't really relate to me, but I think as a whole, women of any age and any stage of life could find some real nuggets of truth and wisdom and hilarity in her words. This one is for allllll the women out there who feel less than, like they're messing everything up, like they're disappointing people, and like they're just barely keeping it together. But it's also for all the women who feel like they're absolutely killing it and living their best life. And for everyone in between. It's for all the women out there with all their mess and all their moxie just trying to find the joy in every day life.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is an extremely tedious book. I laboured through pages and pages of "This book is for X, this book is for Y, this book is for this person yada yada yada". After awhile it started to sound like overcompensation. A person who's taking pride in their flaws does not need to keep labouring the point. I don't know if the entire book is so but if it's not, 10% of the book is too long to spend on promising what's to come without getting to the point.

This is not even including the super-judgemental, Mean Girls style "I've been so hard done by the world and look now I kick all their asses, DIE for making me feel bad!" attitude the words carry. There are gleeful descriptions like 'The pointy-finger old church lady' to describe someone who critiqued her earlier book. This is not positive. It's defensive, vengeful and toxic.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Hatmaker uses her own personal triumphs and failures as a way to encourage others who might be going through similar situations. I had a lot of friends recommend this book to me, so I was excited to read it, but I think that I'm just in a different part of my life. I can see how mothers with families and children would really appreciate the humor in this book. Great discussion starters for that audience.
The wit and humor Jen uses in the essays for this book are a delight. She reminds us of scripture and the fact that God loves us throughout the book. The greatest chapter is the one she wrote to her parents. As a thank you, she shows us that she appreciates her parents. Her "how to" chapters are hilarious. My favorite was how to dress your preschooler. I can't give away the tips but any parent can relate. You should run out and pick this one up. It's the best!
Of Mess and Moxie is Jen Hatmaker's latest book.  I really, really wanted to like this book.  I loved For the Love when I read it.  I decided to listen to the audio of this book and I found it so very, very difficult to listen to.  I think this would be a great book for someone who feels like they need to overcome their life situation.  I did not get anything from it at all, as much as I wanted to like it.  I definitely do not recommend the audio version.  It was so difficult to listen to.  I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher.  These opinions are entirely my own.
Another winner by Jen Hatmaker...real...encouraging....funny....sad...pick it up to experience it for yourself.
A delightfully real read about the living of life with family and social commitments and church and friends  and God in the midst of it all. The book is a challenge to meet each day with courage and relationship with God to get you through the best and the worst circumstances, This is a very entertaining read filled with wisdom and humor.
Moxie?
You what?
New to me. I just assumed it was a made up word. I read the whole book before looking it up on my Kindle dictionary and turns out it is an actual (informal) word. I guess you have to be North American to have a clue but it means ‘force of character, determination or nerve.’
And there is a whole lot of character in these pages.
If it hadn’t been for the seatbelt I was wearing at the time I may have fallen down laughing as I read. You will laugh... A LOT and that alone is reason enough to pick up this book.
However, interspersed between the humour laden tales of grocery shopping, (who doesn’t hate it when your grocery buying path means being trapped in the ‘socially awkward prison of repetitive small talk’ with the person matching your trolley route) and Netflix binge watching and exercise and family shenanigans, Jen talks a lot of common sense and cheers us all on as we go about our ordinary, everyday, trying to have faith, lives.
You are given permission to set down that big ugly bag of guilt you are carrying around with you pretty much everywhere. Set it down says this book, you will hurt yourself! In her own words, Jen is an ‘honest friend in the trenches’ with her readers, encouraging us all to listen to truth, push back fear, live in community and as the book’s sub title says, wrangle ‘delight out of this wild and glorious life’.
This is my first Jen Hatmaker book (I kept meaning to read ‘For the Love’ but never got around to it) and it was a pleasure. I would recommend it especially if you’re feeling a little down or a lot down. It’s a pick me up, a real tonic, no gin required, although you could have that too if you liked, book in one hand glass in the other but be warned, you might spill it!
PS you have full permission and freedom to skip out chapter 16 completely, it is about ‘football’ and you will miss nothing.
Thanks to NetGalley for the review copy of this book.
This book lets you partake in Jen's sometimes messy life. Encouraging!
This book was, to me,  the right book at the right time. I laughed and cried while I read, waiting for my son in the car line. I've been in a season of all-around exhaustion and this book was a boost in every area of my life. It was SO relatable and easy to read. There were moments when I was rolling my eyes, because how many times can we reference queso cheese and wine before it gets annoying? And I was feeling a little exasperated with the book in the middle. But I'm glad I stuck with it to the end. I was encouraged and inspired.
Practical advice for the messes we get in.  Jen walks us through some very specific examples which enable us to understand what she is saying in such a relevant way.  I had looked forward to reading this book for awhile, and it didn't disappoint.  Jen is often laugh out loud funny, which tempers the practical advice she gives.
I didn't care for the opinions or views of the author in this book.  I wasn't even able to finish reading it.
his book was written for ME. Page after page I found myself wanting to join Jen on her porch and have her read her words to me! It is so relatable as a wife, a mom, and girlfriend! Thank you Jen for sharing your heart and humor with us!
Of Mess and Moxie
Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life
by Jen Hatmaker
Thomas Nelson
Christian , Humor
Pub Date 08 Aug 2017
I am reviewing a copy of Mess and Moxie through Thomas Nelson and Netgalley:

This book reminds us it's okay not to be perfect, and that it is okay for a woman to have a backbone.  This book reminds us that women have been demonstrating residency and resolve since the beginning of time.

Women get the idea that because there is pain or failure they must be doing things wrong, that somehow they must have done something wrong.  That when things don't go as plan women are somehow to be blamed but Jen Hatmaker reminds us with humor and heart that is not the case.

I give Of Mess and Moxie five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Jen Hatmaker takes the reader on the wild ride with her delightful storytelling and magical skills of being the creative wordsmith that is Jen. Her inspiration reminds us all that, no, the grass is never greener on the other side no matter the angle. I also listened to this an audiobook. I highly recommend listening to her read the book and offer some bonus tidbits along the way. It's as if you are having your own conversation with her. Fabulous!
I’ve followed Jen Hatmaker on Facebook for a while now, so thought I knew roughly what to expect from this book, however I didn’t expect as many laugh out loud moments as I found. The book is full of short chapters discussing different aspects of family life, growing up, parenting, being a mum, being female, mostly illustrated with tales of life in the Hatmaker household where things might not have gone exactly to plan. Jen’s faith is woven throughout, not as an added extra, nor as a sermon point illustrated by a funny tale but as an integral part of her life and she brings it right into the mess we call life. Even if you have a very different personality to her (as I do, the sheer number of people would have me running for the hills). or don’t share her faith, I’d recommend the book for the  laughs and for the encouraging moxie in the title. This is a book intended to raise your head up, to stand you on your feet and with a hearty laugh and some good food (recipes included) help you face the day.
This book is heartfelt and a little bit sassy. It is a shout out to the girls and encourages us all to be more of ourselves and embrace who we are. I found myself highlighting so many pages in this book! Getting a physical copy of this has made the top of my to-do list, because I know I will be re-reading it very soon. I am looking forward to taking notes and tagging pages to refer to again and again.