Cover Image: The Corner Office

The Corner Office

I have never read a book by this author before, but was excited to get an early copy to read based off the description. I was a satisfied with the read but was somewhat disappointed with the dialogue in it. I would read something else from this author and would hope the dialogue is better.
Enemies to Lovers? Check!

Work place romance? Check! Check!

Sexy, flirtatious and fun? Check! Check! Check!

I literally read this book in one sitting. I started it at 10pm and finished around 3am. I just could not put it down. I had to know what was going to happen between Tara and Richard!

This story is everything i want in a romance. I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. Katerina's writing is beautiful. My only negative, is I want more! More Tara and Richard. More for Katerina!
An unusual enemies-to-lovers romance, TCO features a in-depth view of the corporate world, and is told from the POV of Tara, a brilliant exec in her mid 30’s who sacrificed everything to her career. She’s about to get a coveted executive director position, but there’s a formidable douche standing in her way to the top, the flamboyant Richard, and she’s getting involved with one of her subordinates, the mysterious Aidan… Not everything is what it seems though, something Tara learns the hard way as her life unravels in and out of the office…
I was lucky enough to read a very early version of The Corner office, and back then, I fell in love with Tara, Aidan… and Richard! 🙂 This isn’t your usual enemies-to-lovers romance, as others have pointed. Katerina Baker give flesh and depth to the corporate world. It’s not just billionaires vaguely doing nondescript business: there’re stakes, characters are fully developed, and The Corner Office builds its suspense masterfully, as Tara spirals down and things get way out of control in and out of the office…
Easy 5 stars!
Refreshing and unexpected read! I thought this would just be some chick lit fun, but it really had a strong female vibe to it. Tara was kicking butt in the corporate world and was just a relatable character to read about.
The synopsis for this book sounded great and the chemistry between Tara and Richard was awesome, but the plot was really confusing and not at all what I was expecting. It ended up taking a pretty dark turn and I felt very unprepared for it. I came for an office romance and got a bit of fluff with a heavy amount of dark and twisty.
This was a great story with great characters. It flowed nicely without rushing the story. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more from this author! Read it and you won't regret the time spent.
For me, the sexual aggression and stalking in this book was far too problematic to be enjoyable. I appreciate that may have been the intention, but it left me cold and slightly creeped out. I was happy with the ending and Richard getting the girl, though!
I liked the storyline but the book fell flat. Needed more depth, characterization.
It's been a long time since I've given a book only one star. As ridiculous as it sounds, rating books is something I take pretty seriously and I don't like the idea of being all lackadaisical about it because occasionally, reviews do get read and they do influence other book lovers. Basically, I don't just toss around one-star ratings for the fun of it.

First off, I didn't like the characters. Any of them. I didn't like Richard, I won't even get into Aidan and I kind of hated Tara with the fire of a thousand suns. I couldn't find even one redeeming quality about her that I could connect with. She's super wishy-washy and if that's how she was intended, that's one thing. It's another thing entirely when the author didn't intend for her to be full of hot air ... which I think is actually the case. This chick is all of woman's equality. Which is all good! But you can't be for women's equality and then knowingly get sexually harassed for over a decade by a coworker. It just doesn't make sense. Why have your character be contradictory like that? I mean if you want for women to be equal in the workplace, why would you sit by and just put up with this dude telling you to go have a threesome with him? There are tons and tons and tons of things that Richard said that Tara just brushed off and it just doesn't fit.

Speaking of Richard ... the reason that Tara and Richard don't get along is the most flimsy and non-existent reason I've ever heard of. And that's because you're not really given a reason. You're told these little snippets of situations that if Tara would just take half a second to get over herself, wouldn't even matter. Aside from the sexual harassment, it's like playground stuff ... equivalent to hair pulling and pinching in elementary school. It just showed the immaturity in both of these "executives".

Then there was this one part about how tattoos are taboo and basically it is said that if you want to have an important job and not have to ask people if they want fries with that, you can't have tattoos. There was this long winded story about a CEO (or some other acronym) that flew to another country in shame just to get his tattoos removed. Really? That is not the case out here in the real world and that story was absolutely ridiculous and not accurate to how things actually work.

I really didn't have time to really dive into this book. The reason is because I was wading through all of the ridiculously long inner monologues from Tara that the book just dragged. It would have taken me another 500 pages just to get interested with the way this story was going. It was rough for me. More than rough. Not a fan.

* I received this novel in exchange for an honest review *
Loved it!  Great story line!  I really enjoyed this story!
HEROINE RATING: 4.5 stars
WRITING: 4 stars
EMOTION: 4 stars
STORY TELLING RATING: 4.5 stars
STORY ENDING RATING:5 stars
Was there an instant connection with the book? Yes

I loved this one much more than the first book.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley
A subtle piece of drama, this plot-driven novel is inclusionary of a layered, dimensional female protagonist. The Corner Office captures the female experience in corporate America through a sustained portrait of one fiercely independent woman. Strong and capable, though sensitive when appropriate, Tara has made choices in order to succeed into the upper echelon of Fortunate Start.
A great read with super characters you wont be able not to love these guys a super book that held my interest until the very last page.Looking forward to trying more from this author in the future.I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
There is goodness somewhere in this book. However, a lot of it is drowned out with overwrought plotting. I appreciate the desire to show us a career woman doing the executive path, but the LeanIn propaganda got a little thick. Because of that, and some messy plotting elements, I never really gave any damns about the romance, which is what I'm primarily here for.

With some more aggressive editing, perhaps, and some greater focus, Ms. Baker could really shine. Sadly, I was frustrated through most of this particular work.
Overall I enjoyed the book. A few of the story lines didn't really seem believable to me but that's why it's a fiction book, I still enjoyed reading it all the same.
As a modern career woman, I dreamt of having a corner office. I finally got one. It's in my house, but it still counts. In The Corner Office by Katerina Baker chronicles Tara Johnson's journey on the corporate ladder. Tara's got one eye on the prize and the other on her rival Richard and still another on the looker underling. No, she doesn't have three eyes, but girlfriend could have used an active intuition as she makes the most mind boggling romantic choices.
She engages with two male coworkers, but it's no love triangle. In fact, love factors little into this story.  The male character development tends to the misogynistic with permanent black marks that a late in the story redemption can't erase. Barker spends so much time painting Richard as the arrogant ass it is hard to buy his personality transformation in the third act. The villain is overdrawn so much that the storyline doesn't translate since Tara spends much of the second act swooning over him.
The narrative is simple, maybe too simple as what passes for character development is the lead protagonist lamenting on having a glass of wine, then "someone handed me another," and reoccurring "temple pounding." Tara Johnson loves complaining and her self-help books. I love a self-discovery journey, but the awkward lean in references do not blend well with the narrative. I liked the ideas of, career focus, female empowerment, and women networking, but Tara is not the character to pull it off.  The addition of a third act turnover with the big clash seems incomplete especially since it quickly fades away with no lasting aftermath.
The author notes that Tara is an "imperfect character," which is an understatement, but she does not give the reader any reason to root for her. The insecure career woman story is relatable, but the execution and lead character are drawn too thin to be substantive. The Corner Office has a relatable concept, but the execution is too weak to stand out from the crowd.
***I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

This was the first book I have read from Katerina Baker and it was alright. The biggest thing I would change would be the book blurb as I thought the book was going to be very different. When I say I expected the book to be different, I don't mean it in a bad way or good way. It was just misleading. I am that person who chooses which book I read by the cover and I have been trying to get over this so this was a book that was chosen not based on the cover but by the blurb.  So when I can say I am personally disappointed in this book, I really am. I expected something much different and put my expectations somewhere else.

Even though this book was a disappointment to me, it wasn't a bad read. The story line was good and the characters were enjoyable. I felt that it was a little too cliche in areas, but overall the book was not bad.
With that being said, my rating is based on the story and characters not what I was expecting. Moving forward, I would make sure the blurb goes along with the actual book better.
This was a well written page turning book. I enjoyed seeing Tara, Aiden and Richard's stories play out with complications, drama and entertainment. I can't wait to read more books by Katerina Baker she is an amazing storyteller. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book on NetGalley.
I started this book expecting something similar to The hating game (which I love) but unfortunately I was really disappointed.
I didn't feel connected to the characters so I wasn't committed to how the relationship would turn out.
Sorry, just not my thing.