#NotYourPrincess

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2018

This book was everything I thought it would be and then some. It's not just a novel, but a very clear cry from indigenous women that they are still very much present in modern America. From poets, to doctors, activists, to even sports players; indigenous women are far from the timid Disney princess that patriarchal America try to claim. These women, no, these survivors in every sense of the word, have learned not only how to cope with generational genocide and other issues, but they have also learned how to heal, fight back and make their voices heard. This collection of resistance, mixes prose and poetry, and even biographical data of some indigenous survivors. I will definitely be adding this to my permanent collection, and I am looking forward to more works from these women.
I absolutely loved this - the art and text were beautiful and inspiring. I am planning on using this for a listicle soon, but I need a few more books to add before I'm able to put it up. When I do, it'll be on my Wordpress blog.
This is truly a gorgeous collection of poetry, journal art, stories, and quotes from Native American women. There is much pain, and anger in the past and present for Native Americans as a whole entity - and even more so for Native American women. This book is a way for them to get some of that power back.

Through their words, art, and history, these women are collecting what has been taken away from them. The imagery and the art shared with us in #NotYourPrincess is evidence of women refusing the cookie-cutter shape of the Pocahontas-tribal-princess trope in exchange of showing the reader who they really are. They are women who hurt, love, and are angry. There is much power in this book, and I encourage all people to read and appreciate the work and heart that went into its collection.
I loved the mix of poetry, comics, interviews... and I learnt a lot from them. Also the contrast between the more positive stories and the heartbreaking ones was wonderful.
#NotYourPrincess was both empowering and inspiring. I do wish it had been longer because I found myself wanting to read so much more. I also really loved all the artwork shown throughout. It would great if there was a sequel to this anthology.
Loved this book and has shared my love on 8nstagram, will also be using it in my classroom
Powerful and necessary. It's refreshing to see such a wide collection of writing by Native women.
Not Your Princess was absolutely FILLED with incredible artwork from so many highly talented young women. Each page was showing off talent from girls that can write, draw, paint, photograph, and was telling their amazing stories. I look forward to reading and getting to immerse myself in more books like this that discuss and embrace cultures that are not as widely known and respected.
It has taken me awhile to compose my thoughts for this, as there is a massive and complex cloud of them. This resonates with me so deeply, but how do you put this, exactly?
This project is a beautiful and intricate choir of voices, and yet sorrowful in that the core of all these women's writing is a cycle of injustice, loss and assimilation. As someone, like so many, that has become distanced in this way from their roots, these are very powerful and familiar.

"History moves like a fevered heat down through the arteries of generations."

I don't want to be too elaborate as I feel only reading it will truly do justice, and these will be different for everyone, but I also recommend for everyone.
Personal favourites are Jessica Deer's "Not a Costume", Shelby Lisk's "The Invisible Indians", "A Tale of Two Winonas" by Winona Linn, and Helen Knott's "The Things We Taught Our Daughters".
An excellent (although a bit of a thrown together) collection of art, poetry and testimonials from Native American Women.

Other than the hasty style of formatting and the # in the title, I loved this book. I felt that having # in the title indicated that the subject was something 'trendy' and one that the importance of would have an expiration date. Which it is not, and does not.

The content outweighs the packaging. Heartbreaking, inspiring, honest, and beautiful.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review, etc.

An important edition to any library's nonfiction collection. The zine-like format makes it easily browse-able for teens and new adults.
#NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American Women

Release Date: September 12, 2017

Publisher: Annick Press

Trigger Warnings: violence, sexual assault, racism, violence against Native peoples

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads Summary: Whether looking back to a troubled past or welcoming a hopeful future, the powerful voices of Indigenous women across North America resound in this book. In the same style as the best-selling Dreaming in Indian, #NotYourPrincess presents an eclectic collection of poems, essays, interviews, and art that combine to express the experience of being a Native woman. Stories of abuse, humiliation, and stereotyping are countered by the voices of passionate women making themselves heard and demanding change. Sometimes angry, often reflective, but always strong, the women in this book will give teen readers insight into the lives of women who, for so long, have been virtually invisible.

blue-page-divider

My Review

I received this book as an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I don’t feel like I have a ton to say about this book. When I first saw this on Netgalley, I was super excited to see some native voices in literature. I really, really appreciated what this book was trying to do. However, the formatting of the book detracted so much from the anthology that I found it incredibly difficult to read. Most of the pages in the book had nothing but designs on them (not art made by the Native Women who created the book but literally just designs and borders on blank pages), which ended up really detracting from my reading experience.

In addition, the stories themselves, while I would say were generally pretty good, were not especially interesting, and there didn’t seem to be any kind of organization as I went through the book, so I kept getting confused as I moved from one piece to the next. I think this anthology would have worked a bit better if they’d organized it by either time or publication type (short stories, then poems, then art, etc).

Overall, I feel like this had a lot of potential, and I appreciated that we are highlighting Native Female voices in the literary community. However, the apparent lack of formatting really detracted from what the book was trying to highlight, and I came out of it feeling like I hadn’t really learned anything or gained anything from the story, because I’d been so distracted by the parts of the book that weren’t important. I’d love to read more anthologies and works like this, but with less focus on visual things and more focus on the actual works being produced.

-Sky
What an amazing homage to Native Women! Mainstream depictions of native women tend to silence and objectify them - this book elevates the voices of indigenous women, showing them to be strong, revolutionary, and hilarious. It was so refreshing to read something like this, and I look forward to adding a print copy to my classroom bookshelf! The art, poetry, and prose are beautiful and thought-provoking. I highly recommend this book!
*I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
Actual rating: 4.5 stars
This was a very interesting anthology, combining interviews, comics, poetry and photographs to create a beautiful tableau of the hardships and triumphs of Indigenous women. The pieces were very relevant to current events, with several mentions to social media.This is only the second book I have read in my lifetime that accurately depicts this culture, and that is very sad. I feel that as we strive for diverse literature, there will hopefully be more works depicting Indigenous women in the future.  I praise the editors and authors immensely for putting this out into the world, and I hope the world answers back asking for more.
#NotYourPrincess hit me hard, over and over again.

Each piece within this book was compelling and so, so strong, while also showing the price that each woman had to pay for that strength. There are no words to describe how impactful this book is. If you haven't read it, you should, and if you have, you should read it again.

I am filled with admiration and respect for all of the women brave enough to share such personal work in this capacity.
I'm not sure who this book is supposed to be for: there are some pieces that are more about generic ethnicity or feminist themes, but other pieces seemed like they were for an insider audience.  As a reader not from that culture, they didn't make sense, weren't clear, or didn't explain enough.  Perhaps the book is intended primarily for Native readers.
Exploring life for Indigenous women, #NotYourPrincess challenges stereotypes with raw honesty. Art and text portray resilience despite a history of injustice. A must read.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
I did not read this galley in it's entirety. Though I enjoyed what I did read.
I found the stories and pictures in this book to be extremely relatable. The plight of Native Americans is very well illustrated. This book will be one I recommend for anyone looking for insight into the poor conditions on reservations and the lack of social support for Native Americans both inside of and outside of their reservations. I will definitely be looking into Lisa's other works.
I find this difficult to review, like most personal poetry or essays. But this collection by Indigenous women is important. It conveys a powerful message of a people, of the women of these tribes, trying to reclaim and hold onto their culture in countries that keep trying to take it away. It is a book of healing, of those that survived genocide trying to heal. It is a book for young Indigenous girls, to remind them of their place in the world. They are not what western society has shoved down their throats. They are important. They have a culture, a people, and they can succeed. It is beautiful and filled with stories and art and photos of and by Indigenous women.