#NotYourPrincess

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2018

I'm not sure who this book is supposed to be for: there are some pieces that are more about generic ethnicity or feminist themes, but other pieces seemed like they were for an insider audience.  As a reader not from that culture, they didn't make sense, weren't clear, or didn't explain enough.  Perhaps the book is intended primarily for Native readers.
Exploring life for Indigenous women, #NotYourPrincess challenges stereotypes with raw honesty. Art and text portray resilience despite a history of injustice. A must read.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
I did not read this galley in it's entirety. Though I enjoyed what I did read.
I found the stories and pictures in this book to be extremely relatable. The plight of Native Americans is very well illustrated. This book will be one I recommend for anyone looking for insight into the poor conditions on reservations and the lack of social support for Native Americans both inside of and outside of their reservations. I will definitely be looking into Lisa's other works.
I find this difficult to review, like most personal poetry or essays. But this collection by Indigenous women is important. It conveys a powerful message of a people, of the women of these tribes, trying to reclaim and hold onto their culture in countries that keep trying to take it away. It is a book of healing, of those that survived genocide trying to heal. It is a book for young Indigenous girls, to remind them of their place in the world. They are not what western society has shoved down their throats. They are important. They have a culture, a people, and they can succeed. It is beautiful and filled with stories and art and photos of and by Indigenous women.
#NotYourPrincess is a powerful collection of essays, poems and interviews by Indigenous women across North America that explores experiences of being a Native woman. It's incredibly eye-opening and teaches a lot of personal and communal experiences as well as history not often taught. It's a tough read because it does not shy away from recounting the true horrors of their past. Not only does it recount their honest past, this is also a call to action and inspires that change is needed. This title gave voice to the invisible and voiceless women, and it's important that this book gives them a platform to do so. I just hope it gains traction so that change can happen.
This was a novel of inspiring stories that native American women face. But in actuality, a lot of women can relate to this story. This book carries stories that transcend race when it comes to women. There are powerful stories of abuse and pain throughout.  I would recommend this book to any female who needs to be uplifted. I believe its a great book to help young men see what women face in this world and how we have to be careful doing anything. It is a book that will remain with me for years to come and I seriously would recommend it to anyone
#NotYourPrincess is a powerful statement made by indigenous women through a variety of artistic mediums. A statement which says we are not homogenous, we are not tropes and stereotypes - we are real, we are here, and these are our experiences spoken with our own voices. Expressed through poems, essays, quotes, and artwork, #NotYourPrincess provides a platform for indigenous women to speak openly about their experiences and amplifies their voices in this creative anthology. It was really nice to see a variety of different mediums, but unfortunately, I found the e-ARC very poorly formatted.

The book is very short as it is, only 117 pages, and most of those pages appeared to be blank. I don't know if it was purely an error from the program I was using, but it appears from others reviews that they also experienced this issue so it might be a formatting issue. It's such a shame as I spent the majority of my time worrying that I was missing out things rather than being able to enjoy the content. #ownvoice anthologies such as #NotYourPrincess, which not only focus on the work of indigenous people but specifically indigenous women, are so, so important.

Unfortunately, I do not feel able to rate it any higher than 3 stars purely for the formatting issues and being unable to see the rest of the content. But I would love to read this collection in its entirety if I have the opportunity to get my hands on a physical copy!
Gorgeous collection of stories, art, and poetry that present the vast plethora of experiences of Native women. Eye-opening.
#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women was so much more than I expected it to be. The art, poetry, and essays were moving and emotional. As expected, a lot of what I read made me angry - that is exactly what I expect personal narratives of injustice to do. I didn't expect to be moved to tears by the strength and pride-of-self that was so eloquently expressed in the book. At just over 100 pages, this was a quick read; however, I will be going back to reexamine that art and poetry in greater depth.
Each piece in here is worth reading. Many of them got me in the gut, and made me gasp. It's amazing how much feeling is packed into each short piece, whether it's a poem, a picture, an essay, a comic strip, or a quote.

There isn't much cohesion to the anthology, but that's okay. I really liked the diversity, both in terms of the medium of the piece as well as the tribal affiliations of the creators.
First, and completely related to the content of this book, is that this was not an easy book to read. Don't let the bright colours and the fact that the pages are not covered with dense paragraphs of text fool you! This book addresses painful subjects. This book speaks of hard, painful things and does not attempt to explain or solve them. This book lays bare the reality of what it is like to be a First Nations/Native American woman as experienced by the many talented contributors, and it might hurt your heart and mind to read this, whether you're prepared for it or not. But also, don't be afraid to read it. There is hope, and there is beauty, too. So much beauty. The art is evocative. The poetry and prose speak truth, both dark and light.

I really think that this book has great value to readers of all colours and creeds. This provides a glimpse into the world of the contemporary First Nations woman, and how her experience of the present is anchored in the realities of the past. It shows that the pain of colonization is still raw and real, but also that the roots that extend deeper, beyond that pain into the past draw strength and nourishment from the culture of The People, and that is where healing can be found.

As a Canadian Aboriginal I recognised a lot of the names of contributors, too. The editors of this anthology really made an effort to connect with a good cross-section of First Nations women, and I also appreciated that the ancestry of each was acknowledged with each contribution.

I'll be buying a copy of this book. I have cousins and nieces to share it with. I have strangers in need at my workplace to share it with. Don't let the trendy hashtag title fool you, don't be distracted by the lovely, fashionable young lady on the cover: there is reality on these pages, and it's important to see it.

Second, and unrelated to the quality of the content of the book, I could not read the e-copy that was provided to me on my e-reader because it was PDF format and Kobo has recently stopped supporting PDF files. I was, of course, still able to read the book on my computer screen, and the colour and art and unique typesetting were very vivid, but reading on my computer screen is certainly not my preferred method. Then, as luck would have it, my local library happened to have acquired a copy of the paperback version of this book, so I borrowed it so I could complete my review, so thank you Vancouver Island Regional Library. I love you.

Full disclosure: I was given an e-copy of this book for honest, uncompensated review by netgalley
Live Blogging:

This definition and commentary on "patriarchy" is smile-inducing.

“In Indigenous culture, Indigenous women and girls are sacred, known as life-givers, as independent, as autonomous, as decision-makers.” pg. 26 YAS!

Winona LaDuke’s graphic strips remind me of Thunder Boy, Jr. by Sherman Alexie.

Are there supposed to be this many blank/white pages? Maybe it’s just typical advanced reader’s copy formatting…

There’s art, graphic novel/short story/autobiographical comic strips, poems, quotes/mantras, interview, and personal –nonfiction– essays. The art is gorgeous!

This art is arrestingly beautiful. I love it.

For once, the art speaks to me more than the poetry.

“Why not Indians? ‘You see doctors, lawyers, fireman, everyday people played by people of all different ethnic / groups these days, why not Indians, I mean we don’t talk about “Indian things” all the time, / I mean, so much of our lives are lived like everyday people, why can’t Hollywood reflect that?’“ - Actress DeLanna Studi (Cherokee) >> I think this quote just convinced me to do a purchase request to our nonfiction selector. We don’t seem to have a good track record for our circulation stats for nonfiction or diverse reads, so idk how well #notyourprincess will circ, but if only one or two people check it out and realize that “lightbulb moment” of representation and the self and/or how important diversity is, it will be worth allocating our meager collection development funds towards it.

Lots of author pics, which I normally wouldn’t be a fan of, but it’s so important for girls and teens to /see themselves/ within the pages of a book, that I like the numerous author pics.

“The idea of the relic stereotypical Indian needs to change.” >> recreation of classic portraits of movie stars replaced with contemporary Native American actors *insert heart-eye emoji here*

“This is what we do– we recast wounds in unending light. And so, light, love, and courage are circles we keep coming back to.” - Tanaya Winder (Duckwater Shosone)

“When I Have a Daughter” by Ntawnis Piapot (Piapot Cree Nation) made me shiver in pride and co-identification.
A terrific need-to-read book that will open the reader's eyes to the true experience of being an indigenous female.

Think you are already well informed about indigenous issues?

Think you already know all there is to know about women's issues?

THINK AGAIN.

#NOTYOURPRINCESS should be required reading, not just for women and teen girls, but also for both male adults and male young adults.

I rate this book as 5 out of 5 Stars.
A powerful and incredible collection of poems, essays, drawings, and shorts stories by and about Native American women.

It's so important to read and support #Notyourprincess. Each piece was so good; they are sharing their pain and sadness, but also their pride and love. Their history, prejudices, colonization, patriarchy, suicide, objectification of their bodies, sexual assault, racism... Each piece is a different story.

Buy it, read it and review it. Let's support Native American women and their work.
Excellent collection and very, VERY needed. A necessary edition to any teen library.
This book is beautiful and powerful in so many ways. Immediately, I was drawn to the artwork accompanying the text which tells as much a story as all the essays and poems. Primarily, this is a collection of essays and poetry discussing what it means to be a Native American girl and woman in 21st century North America. Tackling topics such as racism and cultural identity, this can be a difficult read, but it is more certainly worth it.

The collection contains selections from women of multiple tribes and backgrounds giving a wide range of experiences and knowledge. Given my own tribal background, I felt very connected to the narratives these women shared and often found myself nodding along while reading.

This book is very relevant to the current discourse on race relations right now and gives voice to an often overlooked side of modern racial disparities.

**I received a copy of this book from the published via NetGalley in exchange for a review.
This is a great collection of Indigenous women sharing their thoughts and art in their own preferred medium. A few really stood out to me - Melanie Fey, Shelby Lisk, Patty Stonefish, and most of the illustrators - but that's not to say that the others don't also have impactful and interesting things to say. All in all, I enjoyed the pieces, I just wish they flowed a little more cohesively.
Yes! Yes! This book is so needed in the world, everyone should be made to read this and realized that indigenous people and woman need their voice!