The Librarian of Auschwitz

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Oct 2017

Compelling story of a true history that was unknown to me about WWII. I think the writing style was a bit young for teen readers and cones across as more middle grade.
This beautiful novel is based on the true story of Dita Kraus and her time at Auschwitz. Her role of librarian for the forbidden books is a compelling and heart-wrenching story. Read with a tissue.
Anything dealing with the Holocaust is tough to read but this book was well written and handles it beautifully. I would 100% recommend.
The depiction of day to day life in this book was masterful - harrowing and well written.  As a librarian, I appreciated a different look at books and the part they play in history.  A beautiful book.

Wow! This novel is a masterpiece, in my opinion. Iturbe has managed to tell a hard story and teach the reader at the same time. A sign of an excellent historical novel is when a reader immediately starts to look up the characters and events to find out more. The people and events of this book are based on Block 31 of Auschwitz- Birkenau, which managed to hide several books and have a school for children even though this was against the rules. The writing style is lovely, and the excellent translation skills of Lilit Zekulin Thwaites no doubt helped with that. I have read many, many books about the Holocaust, yet I learned so much more from this one, taking pages and pages of notes of...

See Full Review
The book was really slow paced, there were some interesting parts that helped the story but otherwise I was really bored throughout the book. The writing style was also really dull. The secret library operation was interesting which is probably what compelled me to push through. All in all I just didn't like this book.
Rating: 2 stars

I hate writing a negative review about a Holocaust book, because every book about that tragic time is another reminder that it happened and we cannot ever forget it. And honestly, the book might be good. I can't tell because I can't get past the unbelievably atrocious grammar and plot structuring.The author is from Spain and I feel like the translation work could have been equal or better by some of my first-year Spanish students. Or, equally likely, the translator did solid work and the original text was just awful. Tense changes, confusing pronouns, characters thrown in and out of the story like they're being juggled, mercurial moods that leave you with more questions than...

See Full Review
This is an absolutely amazing book.  I am an avid reader of WWII historical fiction and narrative nonfiction, and I learned so much about Auschwitz that I did not know.  This is a haunting must-read, based on a true story.  I couldn't put it down, and I can't forget the people of Block 31.  This would be an excellent companion to the Diary of Anne Frank. or Night.
I did not finish The Librarian of Auschwitz because it was too slow. I understand that a lot does not happen in the day-to-day happenings in a concentration camp, but I just could not get invested in the story.
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read an eARC of this book. The Librarian of Auschwitz tells the story of Dita, a 14 year old from Prague and then the Terezin ghetto, who is given the job of Librarian in the family camp at Auschwitz. In Auschwitz where books considered to be dangerous as weapons, guarding them is a risky task for Dita. However she does this because books and stories can give hope. The Librarian of Auschwitz is a fictional account based on actual events and the real people behind the story made it even more
Writing a story set during the Holocaust can be really tricky and this one didn't work for me. The tone felt a bit too disconnected for some reason, possibly the translation, but I just didn't get into it.
This book will take you on a very interesting adventure!
This was a great novel to read about the people of Auschwitz and how a library was created.   i didn't know about The library or family camp before reading this novel.  The characters of the book, dita  particularly, show such bravery again and again.  My heart ached reading this novel and I will definitely recommend it.
The Holocaust is always such a difficult topic to read about, but many authors have had great success in bringing this horrific time in history to readers. The Librarian of Auschwitz had such potential, but it just seemed mechanical. I don’t know if the emotion of the time and topic was lost in the translation, or if the writing was simply lacking passion. I rated it a 4 because I truly was moved by Dita and her strength. I appreciate the publisher and NetGalley giving me an opportunity to be an early reader in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Not only is it wonderful to find a book that I know our students in grade 8 would be excited to choose for their novel study on war, it's exciting to have such a well written book to share with all the grades at the school. We have quite a number of students who are interested in books set in World War 2 so it's a win win. Great book to be able to recommend to all students that also happens to cover a year round interest of all students at the school!
I'd have to give about 3-1/2 stars on this one. There were many parts of the book that were moving, heartbreaking, terrifying, and more. But there were also many factual interjections -- trying to put a non-fiction face on this work of historical fiction -- that just didn't flow, just didn't work. Those portions sounded like they were cut-and-pasted from a mediocre social studies textbook. And that really ruined the flow of the narrative. A defter hand would have made this element work, and then the book would have been much more successful for me.
Having said all that, this was a book that I wanted to finish, because I wanted to know if this brave young woman survived the Holocaust.

I knew that this book was going to break my heart by the time I had finished the first page. I mean, for one thing, I had absolutely NO IDEA about the family camp in Auschwitz, so this book led me down a whole tunnel of research because I wanted to know everything about it. The entire premise just makes me shutter, but then again, everything about concentration camps does that (for good reason).

This book is a bit on the slow side, storywise, but the subject matter is so good and the stakes so high, that it didn't bother me. It's a loooooong book, but there is a lot of interesting information and even though I had an inkling as to how it would end, I couldn't tear myself...

See Full Review
A beautifully written and translated story that truly epitomizes the importance of education in our culture's survival.  This novel looks at an aspect of the Holocaust rarely chronicled and brings to light the lengths that a group of people struggling with their own survival went to to ensure the safety of their cherished books.  A true masterpiece.
Historically based WWII concentration camp event of a special project that allowed Jewish children to attend school with a hidden "library". Heart warming, intriguing and sad!!

This was a fabulous read about a brave young girl not only defying the odds by surviving in a concentration camp but hiding books from the SS guards so that the prisoners in her section could continue to learn and hope. The book wasn’t just about Dita, the librarian of Auschwitz, there were other true stories interspersed throughout the story. There were the teachers that continued to teach the children, the infamous Dr. Mengle that performed horrible experiments on Jewish prisoners, and Rudi Rosenberg, a prisoner who attempts to escape. All these stories are true stories and are ingeniously woven together. As with most Holocaust stories, there are some tough parts to read, but I feel...