ICED: A Resort to Murder Mystery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Sep 2017

An ice cold murder, a break-up, a swinger club and a new exciting romance are the ingredients to this mystery in a new series set in a resort in Colorado.
A very promising and engaging story  with lots of red herrings that kept me interested all the way to the last page.
There is a good variety of supporting casts without being confusing.
I enjoyed the romance between Julienne and her new neighbour Mason even though he was just a tad bit too perfect.
I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
I requested this book from NetGalley and am thankful that Xpresso Book Tours and the author provided me with a copy.
Iced: A Resort to Murder Mystery by Avery Daniels is the first book in a new series located in Colorado. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.  I live in Colorado, so I especially enjoy hearing about familiar settings.   I found this book to be a quick read, with a well developed plot and characters.  If you love fun cozy mysteries, I  recommend this book.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Fast read and Entertaining

Julienne LaMere life is pretty perfect: she has the job of her dreams, manager in training in a luxury resort in her home town. She has a boyfriend and a comfortable relationship and seems like her life is following the path that she has planned. Unfortunately, a murder in the resort changes things when the police consider her as the prime suspect in Pastor Tom Drake murder. The murder occurred only minutes of having an altercation with Julienne.  As the investigation seems to point to nobody else, Julienne is decided to make the police see that she had nothing to do with it. She starts investigating other people who should be on the suspect list while finding out that appearances are not always what they seem, and looks can be deceiving. But will she find out who the real murder is before she becomes a victim herself?

This is a phenomenal murder mystery that will hook you from the start while you guess who the murderer is when so many people had a motive. I flew through it and I enjoyed every page of it.

Deceptive characters

I love a book where you never know what to expect from a character, like you may think you know him or her and suddenly you discover something that you didn’t expect. This happened in the book which made it so much more interesting. As the plot unravels you realize that you never know someone and that looks and appearances aren’t what it seemed.

Mason is such an adorable character and one whose looks may deceive you. He looks like a rock star and a womanizer but then, when you get to know him he still has the looks, but he is so much more. I loved how he tries to protect Julienne and how with barely knowing her he believes that she is innocent and tries to help her. To make him even more adorable he has a dog.

Julienne is the type of heroine I enjoy reading. She is an independent and intelligent woman decided to pursue a career rather than settle down just yet, even if she has to fight with her family for it. This made me connect with her from the beginning. You could think that what should be easy nowadays becomes a great barrier when her father is pressuring her into settling down, getting marry and have kids. Where she is confident in her professional life in her love life she is rather conformist. She has known her boyfriend most of her life but you can tell there is no passion there, maybe love for the time spent together. She sees this but she is so afraid to risk it that she prefers to stay in it.

Another thing that I really enjoyed was the community where Julienne lived. They're all a few neighbors and they all get along real nice and support each other. It was more like a family than just neighbors. And each of them was different adding an extra to the story.

Surprising mystery

There were some surprises during the investigation and turned of events I didn’t see coming, especially the ending. I was more or less correct but not entirely. I must say that I haven’t read many or any books with the same approach which made it a unique read for me.

I highly recommend this for those who would like to have a great time, solve a mystery and laugh a little too. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book.
Loved the story. Light hearted and fun.  Missing a few conjunctions in a few spots with a few extras in others. But an otherwise well written book.  The characters are enjoyable, you cheer for Julie to get with Mason.
Iced is a good beginning to a new series.
Julienne is a strong, career minded woman who finds herself victim to some unwanted attention.
When the perpetrator is found dead, all eyes focus on Julienne, leaving her no choice but to uncover the truth.

The writing was clear and concise and the story flowed smoothly from beginning to end.

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book provided by the publisher and NetGalley.
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
I was unable to finish this book, so I'm unable to review. Thanks for the opportunity.
Great book in a fun new series. I loved the characters (especially Julienne) & the story was well written & entertaining.

I look forward to reading more in this series!

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Julienne has been completely career minded and has established herself as the event planner for a prestigious resort. When the local celebrity pastor gets a little too hands on and Julienne can tell he’d been drinking she heads to call security but within minutes of her leaving the pastor is killed and with Julienne being the last to see him the police have her on their radar.

Julienne’s old high school rival is now a reporter and writes a story pointing at Julienne as the murderer the public is demanding she resign. With her overbearing father pushing her to leave her career and the police investigating her Julienne enlists the help of a new man in her life to follow the clues herself to try to find the real killer.

Iced is the first book in the a Resort to Murder Mystery series by Avery Daniels. While I found this one to be a perfectly acceptable cozy mystery I also found myself not quite loving every minute of it either. I enjoyed Julienne to a point but I also wanted to give her a bit of a push here and there to focus on the mystery instead of other things.

Perhaps it was the fact that part of the focus of the story is Julienne’s love life, her family pushing her to marry and give up her dreams and her running from a proposal. All the while that is going on she meets a new man and he becomes the one helping her rather quickly after a break up. I think for me if the author is including her ditching a relationship I would have preferred she didn’t turn to another man and solved the mystery on her own to make her a stronger character in my mind to fit her shying from the marriage.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Engaging and entertaining cozy mystery. Clever murder weapon. Enjoyed the romance and growth of the protagonist. I look forward to reading the next one in this new series.
Iced, the first book in the Resort to Murder Mystery series, is entertaining and un-put-down-able. Julienne, the main character, is the manager-in-training at a five-star resort. She's quite relatable, as is her support system — her cousins Felicia and Loring, and her lively, elderly neighbors Delores, Beverly, and Nathan. Julienne's new neighbor, Mason Sheridan, goes from being a puzzle to someone else she can count on for support. I really like how Julienne stands up for herself with her father, aunt, uncle, and boyfriend, when they try to... (Oops, I don't want to spoil it for you.)

The mystery is very good in Iced. As Julienne is trying to find out who really killed Pastor Tom, she uncovers several plausible motives and suspects, so the reader has some red herrings to weed out. The climax, when Julienne discovers whodunit, is very exciting. I love the ending of Iced, and am already looking forward to reading Book #2, Nailed.

I recommend Iced to all cozy mystery fans, especially those who are also fans of the Geek Girl Mysteries by Julie Anne Lindsey, and the Leah Norwood Mysteries by B. L. Blair.

I really enjoyed Iced by Avery Daniels, and hereby grant it Four Stars!