Blood and Stars

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2017

Blood and Stars is the fifth book in Jaime Lee Mann’s Legend of Rhyme series. It continues Ariana and Asher’s story started in the first book but also expands the universe out to follow multiple other story-lines, each one connected but not necessarily in the same time period. As such, it reads very much like a collection of short stories, before bringing them together in the finale. This format works particularly well as the individual stories are quite different; but my favourite part of the way the novel has been written is the fact that each section begins with a poem (rather befitting of the series’ name).

The poems are a rather enjoyable method of summarising key information relevant...

See Full Review

<b>The series has definitely matured since it first began five books ago and I've loved being a part of it and seeing the writing, the plot and the characters all mature to the point that we're at now.</b>

It had been a little while since I read a Legend of Rhyme book and I love that there is both a character guide to help bring you back up to speed AND there are lovely little rhymes at the beginning of each 'story' to remind you of what has happened previously.

The author's introduction mentions that she reads each and every review left for the series on Goodreads and Amazon, and in response to these she decided not to end this book with a...

See Full Review

Finally, after leaving everyone on tenterhooks, the fifth book in the Legend of Rhyme series is here. Blood and Stars by Jaime Lee Mann continues on from the tense ending to book four, finally resolving a lot of loose ends. With all the favourite characters from the series, this book transports readers back into the fantasy world of Coraira for more adventure and magic.

Blood and Stars is split into four stories, which eventually all merge together in an explosive climax. Firstly, as expected, the main characters, twins Ariana and Asher, have found themselves separated from each other once again. With Ariana destined to rule Coraira, legend suggests that Asher will be the opposite – a...

See Full Review

Blood and stars by Jamie lee Martin.
Thirteen-year-old Ariana Caine has woken in Coraira, and is torn between finding her brother Asher and learning how to rule the magic realm while Calla is under a protection spell. Beneath the sea, Starla the mer-queen is bringing her apprentice, Teagan, to the Chamber of Memories to learn more about her parents. But when Starla is beckoned by one of the Ancients, Teagan is approached by a stranger, who promises to lead her to her mother and father. Meanwhile, the sea witch and her sisters are poised and ready to usurp the queen’s reign, and will stop at nothing to gain her powers. On top of it all, Elora, the infamous witch who has caused so much...

*Honest review for Arc*

I have followed this book series from the very beginning, each story developing the characters I have learned to love and expanding this new immersive world with each adventure. You root for the good while hoping the bad changes their hearts, you love the adventures while hoping there will be another, and you laugh at the antics of a pair of mischievous pixies! Continue this series please!!!
I really enjoyed myself in this book. The story just pulls you in and only lets you go because either you finished the book or you have to take care of your primary needs (like food or sleep). Because these books aren’t too long, you can just read them in one sitting and you can also start with this book in this world because there is a guide in the back, but I would recommend the first four books as well because I adds more to the story. And with that said, I am really keeping my eyes out for the next installment in this magical series.

Ariana awakens at home but she finds her twin missing. She really wants to find him but the queen of their land is in a coma and may not recover. She's next in line for queen, so she has to stay home and out of trouble. At least that was how it was supposed to work out...

Blue Moon Publishers and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you). It will be published September 12th.

This series is all fantasy. There are sprites, fairies, mermaids, octopuses, and more mixed in the magical people's world.

One mermaid is trying to contain a certain family so she can use their powers for her gain. She's also insane which becomes apparent as the story goes...

See Full Review

This was not my favourite book in the Legends of Rhyme series, but it neatly tied up a number of threads from the preceding four books, and set things up well for the coming sequel.
The book is divided into four short stories, each of which starts with a poem of rhyming couplets which introduce the story, and lay out some of the back history.
The first story revolves around Elora and Asher. The overarching theme here is the nature of evil. Are people born evil? If someone is told they are evil, do they need to become so? Can a person change their destiny, their soul? While a young Elora and Asher are in the Dark Realm, Ariana, Freya and Sibley in Coraira are trying to rescue...

See Full Review
Blood and Stars is the best from the Legends of Rhyme series so far. The author’s writing ability has gone up a notch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Considering this is children’s fiction events take quite a dark turn.

Blood and Stars is a bit more complex than the other books in the series and all the more enjoyable.

There are a few different storylines in the books that gradually converge into one and different narrative viewpoints. The storyline was easy to follow.

Blood and Stars is a great read.

I feel like Blood and Stars is Mann's best - and strongest - work so far. It In this book, we are introduced to the realms within the oceans, to fascinating new characters, and despite the characters being separated by time and space and worlds, Mann impressively manages to bring them back together to wrap up this arc in a satisfying manner.

Overall, Teagan's arc felt the most developed in terms of plot and characters. In comparison, Asher's arc felt the weakest and least feasible, whereas Elora's was a nice mix of the two. Ultimately, I think Elora's story - and a redemption of sorts - shone through in how it offered hope that despite how dark things may...

See Full Review

Note: *** To read the first four titles in the Legend of Rhyme series, please email Talia at Talia@DigiWriting.com*** [This book really needs to be read as part of the series.]

Excitement is at a high level as big changes are afoot. The reading is fast-paced. The writing is engaging. Our settings are In Rhyme, In the Pixie tree, in Coraira-- the mystical land of magic, and in the sea with Mermaids.. All the parts of this book tie together for advancement of the story. It has taken generations to come this far, will healing come, or more uncertain futures?

If you are not sure what's what since you last read one of these books, there is a summary of sorts at the end (if you are...

See Full Review
Ariana has woken in Coraira.  She can't decide if she should try to find her brother or learn how to rule.  What will she do?  Meanwhile Teagan is taken to the Chamber of Memories by the mer-queen.  Teagan hopes to learn more about her parents.  I don't want to spoil this last story as I am assuming that you too have read the previous books.  I do want to say that there are characters added with a background as to how they fit in the story.  The characters continued to be spell me as I read it today.  Do read it as it's an excellent story.  The author did a great job with writing this book.

Praise Jaime Lee Mann!
This is the fifth installment in the series, and although it could be read as a standalone, this series should be read in order.
The writing style is clear and engaging. We can see how the story develops from the first book to this one, like a child's mind, we get the base of the story with great unforgettable characters and an epic plot, that will develop into something more complex after each installment.
I think this is a great tool for bonding with your kids, starting from an early age the love for storytelling and hopefully to read.
The Rhymes are perfect for a bedtime story and the this book is great for interacting with kids, asking questions, it...

See Full Review

Once again I read Jaime Lee Mann in one day, in one sitting. The stories she writes are so engaging!
This one covers the continuing adventures of the Caine children.
It is usual with this series to flick back and forth between the main characters to keep the time line development in sync for the reader, as this book is no exception.
I liked that the story of Teagan continues in an undersea world of mer folk, that Asher is still susceptible to the Darkness in the world. There are some new characters introduced to give depth to the story and these have back story to describe how they fit in.
Jaime Lee Mann manages to write such good stories, they are enjoyable for adults and children...

See Full Review

I enjoyed Blood and Stars better than the last two. The story lines, although interweaving as before, didn't get me as tangled up and I easily understood where everyone was. The poetic interludes that gave subtle recaps helped immensely. When we read the series in class, students still tend to struggle a bit with all the various characters and their shifting allegiances. I wonder if the little poems will help this as well. Often we have to map out where everyone is and what they are doing. It's not bad as a group activity, but has caused some of my more struggling readers to give up when attempting to read on their own. Personally, I am very curious to learn what will...

See Full Review

Blood and Stars is the 5th book in the Legend of Rhyme series and is suitable for middle grade children.

Our heroes find themselves scattered:
Teagan is with Queen Starla in the Chamber of Memories hoping to find clues about her parents. When Starla is called away Teagan is lured by someone who promises more information about her parents. Can this someone be trusted since Krystal has a trap waiting? A trap and a diabolical plan between Krystal and her sisters to rid the sea of mer Queen Starla.
Ariana and Asher are separated with Asher and Elora trapped in the dark and an evil voice goading Asher into being a bad version of himself.
Ariana is in Coraira with Calla and is shocked to find...

See Full Review
While these books are written for much younger people in mind they are books that I have really enjoyed a lot.

The characters and ideas are very well thought and planned out.

The only issue with this one is that the stories were split into 3 separate o as and it made it slightly more difficult to follow.  The poems that rhymed were very entertaining and a wonderful touch to a great story