Artemis

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Nov 2017

Loved it. You can believe the moon is occupied and how it works living there through the eyes of our heroine. It’s sci fi. It’s crime. It’s a great read simple to get into and makes you wonder what you’d do.
Artemis seems to have divided fans of the Martian but, as someone who hasn't read that yet, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great story with fantastic worldbuilding and compelling characters. The fast-paced action centres around a heist (which is always a must-read for me) and I was unable to put this down once I'd started.
What an absolutely cracking book. I really enjoyed Weir's The Martian (and yes I did read it before the film came out) and I happen to think that this is even better. The beginning of the book takes time introducing you to the main character, Jazz, and I was starting to wonder why the book was being touted as a thriller, but when the action started, well it did not let up. The story got me hooked immediately and I found myself eagerly reading more and more to find out what happens next. I thoroughly recommend this to anyone.
A fun, sci-fi heist, but it's got nothing on The Martian. I just wanted *more*, though I honestly couldn't say what I mean by that. I'll definitely carry on reading Andy Weir, however - he's really got something.
The second half was much better than the first. The second half, once the heist action kicked in, reminded me of the better parts of The Martian, with high-octane action and enough science to keep me happy. But the main character was grating - reminding the reader over and over that she was a girl, and often seeming like the author had not really met many girls, or spent much time around them. Only when she started doing things did it become palatable.

But it was fun enough. I hadn't been the greatest fan of The Martian, and I think this book didn't hold up to that, so it's no surprise that I'm not enthused. However, I appreciate how many non-SFF readers Weir bought into the world of sci-fi, so I appreciate this book and will no doubt sell it to a few people.
Not as into this one as I thought I would be. Enjoyed The Martian but just didn't take to this one. However, the writing was really good and the storyline, though I didn't finish it, was promising. Think I may have overdosed on Sci-Fi when I picked this one up so will return to it again in the future
Artemis by Andy Weir was featured on the November 2017 Librarians' Choice Top 10 list https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56d74c4004426214f2d28631/t/59f857429140b7224cb8c4f7/1509447590225/Top10+November17+A4+Flyer.pdf
A great disappointment.  I loved The Martian so had high expectations for this but it was just boring!

A riveting and riotous look at life on the Moon.
I think it’s clear by now that, as most of the other readers who heard of Andy Weir, I had very high expectations, not only because of his previous novel The Martian, but also his short stories. The current book didn’t really meet those high expectations, but neither failed them, so I’m gonna go with a 3.5★ rounded up, because I can and I want to :)

All the action takes place on the Moon, where humankind built a habitat/city/base: Artemis. The world building is good, as I was expecting, the facts and details are not just thrown in randomly, they are introduced nicely as part of the plot. As for the characters, especially the main one – Jazz – Weir kept the witty humor Mark Watney got me used to, but unfortunately the ~26yo female character acts much more like a 15yo boy, so, imho, here the novel kind of lacks.
Another dissatisfaction was that, towards the end, there appeared to be just too many problems, exactly like in the movies, when everything that can go wrong eventually does go wrong and even extra on top..
Regarding the structure, I liked the diary bits at the end of the chapters and the added letters, but the chapters may have been a tad too long.

Overall, aside from minor complaints, this novel was funny, witty, action filled, with well explained and easily understandable scientific facts – I liked it a lot and I’m gonna try Weir’s next novel for sure.
Overall I enjoyed this book very much, but there were times during it where the plot slowed somewhat.  This was mostly around the scientific descriptive passages.  I enjoyed the science, but there was too much of it and I got lost during some of the explanations so my interest waned.  I  liked the story though and I loved the character of Jazz and all the supporting characters too.  The Martian was one of my favourite books ever, and this had similar traits in that there is a lot of actual science involved (but I felt not as well explained as in The Martian, and not always as necessary to the plot) and the main character has a positive attitude and a flippant sense of humour (which I know annoys some readers, but I like it).  Jazz has lived on the moon colony of Artemis for most of her life and runs a profitable smuggling operation to supplement her meagre income as a porter.  Always on the lookout for a way to earn more money, she is drawn into a plot to take over aluminium production on the moon.  But all is not as it seems and when things start to go wrong Jazz finds herself in deeper trouble than she has ever known.
I really hope this will be the first in a series as I would love to read the next one!
This book was a bit more of a slog for me rather than The Martian. However when the pacing began to pick up it became difficult to put down
Jazz Bashara is an Artemisian. And Artemis is the first city on the moon, a place where money, and lots of it, makes for a better lunar life. Having read The Martian, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was hoping this book would be as entertaining. On that front, it did not disappoint (some real lol'ing); I particularly enjoyed Jazz's character and she was believable as were those around her. I was pleased to see a continuation of science explanations that didn't detract too much from the story (although perhaps a little too much description about welding). The storyline itself - what came to be Jazz's survival mission - did have some excitement, although perhaps not as much as I was hoping for. There was an element of the twist or reveal that didn't actually make sense to me but perhaps that would've been ironed out in the official release version. Overall, Weir has produced an enjoyable science fiction book but wasn't quite the slam dunk that The Martian was.
I raced through this book , if only it could be twice as long . I want to travel with these characters to Mars and anywhere else within my life span . More please .
Loved the Martian and this book had a similar level of detail, with excellent elements of speculative fiction. However overall it wasn't as gripping as the previous book. I'd read more of his work though
So original. So good. Hope they make this into a film too. Loved it.
Having been a huge fan of the Martian, I was so - SO - disappointed on reading this. There's nothing I can say about the "voice" of Jazz that hasn't already been said; being a woman of that age myself, it just didn't ring true in the slightest. Happily the author has addressed in an AMA that he DOES read that feedback and he is taking it on board for his next book!
Which leads me to my other source of disappointment - I loved the setting of this book. Andy Weir does research so well, and I loved the Lunar base. I loved reading about the inspiration for the names of the zones, and about how they managed bringing resources in, as well as their distribution once they were there. Everything was just so fantastic, and that it was filtered through the voice of a protagonist that I just couldn't engage with was frustrating beyond belief!
Jazz is a smuggler, and when the chance arises to strengthen her CV she does not hesitate. But it's messing around with one of the biggest companies on the moon, it's not exactly the safest job on the planet.
Hilarious and dark, Weir does not disappoint with his followup from The Martian. I adored this novel as much as I enjoyed his previous work.
P.S. There are less potatoes in this one.
Wickedly funny and full of action. I really felt immersed in the world of Artemis and it made me hope that one day science will have made enough technological advances for a city on the moon to be a reality (although hopefully without the corrupt individuals!)