Need to Know

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Mar 2018

OMG!!! I see series in this books future.
I can totally see why the rights of this book have been sold. Can you say MOVIE!! This has got to be the best political thriller I have ever read.I just could not put it down.  I devoured it in a few hours.

My thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Yes, you will need to know what happens in this riveting thriller of a novel. I was captivated from the start and felt the structure of the book to be different from other thrillers but made it all the more compelling in figuring out what happened and how it came to be. Very exciting, and not to be missed if you enjoy thrillers or suspense.

I've always been fascinated by spy movies and TV shows. I don't exactly know why, but there's something thrilling in watching seemingly regular people outsmart others, get information using mind games and basically kicking ass. So when I read the blurb for Need To Know, I knew I needed to read this book.

The story focuses on Vivian, a CIA analyst that discovers her husband is a Russian sleeper spy, and her struggle with defending her children and doing her job. Along the way, we also discover how she and Matt, her husband, met and how their relationship started, basically, and what their lives have been like up until she discovers his secret. The part that I loved most was...

See Full Review
Vivian is a CIA Analyst. She loves her job but at the same time misses spending time with her four children. Now she is trying to unravel information that will give the CIA the upper hand at learning who the top man is of a secret cell. They know their are five sleepers waiting for their handlers call.
Imagine her horror when she taps into the sleepers and discovers her husband is one of them.
Well written, strong characters, intriguing.
5 Stars

Authentic! I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. Written by Karen Cleveland, and published by Ballantine Books, an imprint of Random House, New York in 2018, this story has the stamp of authenticity that comes from the author’s extensive experience working for the CIA and the FBI.

Vivian Miller is a counterintelligence analyst working for the CIA. She and her software engineer husband, Matt, have four kids. One of them, twin boy, has an acute congenital heart condition. At her job, Vivian has developed an algorithm that enables her to identify a Russian intelligence handler and to break into his computer, which...

See Full Review

Oh how I LOVED this book....

The illusion of a cheerful home is about to hit a major speed bump! This edge of your seat spy thriller is so addictive with the full steam plot, it kept me up all night reading!

I love that this is a straight up spy thriller that isn't bogged down with too much analyst mumbo jumbo. You can just enjoy the page turning without having to decipher unfamiliar lingo, but offers enough details to tell an authentic, believable story.

Vivian is a CIA counterintelligence analyst, but also a wife and mom to four young children. Her husband, Matt works from home at his flexible IT position and he loves helping out with the kids. Vivian and her team are hard at...

See Full Review

Need to Know, written by Karen Cleveland, is definitely a page-turner. I was captivated from beginning to end. This is a story filled with unexpected twists and turns...one that will leave you guessing until the very end!

Vivian Miller works as a counterintelligence analyst with the CIA. Her current job is to uncover leaders in a Russian sleeper cell operating within the United States. Upon accessing the computer belonging to a potential Russian involved in the sleeper cell, she is shocked to find a file containing pictures...especially when she sees the picture of someone she knows. Vivian is forced to reexamine her life and everyone in it. Torn between defending her country and those she...

See Full Review

I can't be the first, and certainly won't be the last, to point out how apt the title of this book is: at the end of every chapter (EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.), I needed to know what was going to happen next. Karen Cleveland's debut thriller is just as exciting, page-turning, and absorbing as everyone has been saying.

To talk about the plot beyond the first chapter is to give too much away--that's how fast this story moves--so I won't even attempt the tightrope walk of delivering a spoiler-free synopsis. But fortunately for me, plot isn't what I really want to highlight here anyway. It's character.

No matter how exciting your set pieces, how intricate your...

See Full Review
It was a shocking story that could of been taken from the  headlines. It's about a agent who finds out that she's married to a Russian intelligence agent who infiltrated our government.  The ask what would you do to keep your family safe.

Need to Know

If you like mysteries (and I do) and you see recommendations from some of your favorite mystery writers (Louise Penny, Lee Child, and John Grisham) for a debut novel called Need to Know by Karen Cleveland on Net Galley’s advance reading copy offerings (and I did), you have a tendency to take their word for it and add it to your Kindle reading queue.

In a very slight spoiler, the first chapter ends with CIA analyst Vivian Miller finding her husband’s face on the file she opens of a Russian sleeper cell. You might guess that I did not turn over and go to sleep. The trouble was that each chapter after that kept me in suspense as CIA investigations, family anxiety, and questions...

See Full Review

Attention domestic thriller addicts coming off of earlier January releases "The Woman in the Window" and "The Wife Between Us": here is your next fix.

To me, this quote-unquote spy novel (considered by many a reviewer to be a literary mash-up of the TV show "The Americans" and the movie "Salt") is more women's fiction steeped in psychological suspense.

It's spectacularly good in that respect. I lost sleep (tip: don't start reading it at bedtime, because you won't be able to stop!), had a pounding heartbeat, and was sweating right alongside Viv.

I marvel at how the debut author maintained that palpable tension and paranoia from...

See Full Review

If you’re looking for a gripping thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat, look no further than Karen Cleveland’s debut novel Need to Know. Not only it is an incredibly timely story with its focus on Russian operatives and sleeper cells in the U.S., but it’s also a well crafted one that takes us through one mother’s journey to see how far she will go to protect her family when she feels they are being threatened. And as if that isn’t enticing enough, I’ve read that Need to Know is also being made into a movie with Charlize Theron in the starring role so there’s that as well!

Need to Know follows the journey of Vivian Miller, a counter-intelligence analyst at the CIA...

See Full Review
A big thank you to NetGalley and Random House for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. First time reading this author. I got this on a whim. Started reading it-for some reason Matt irked me so I put it down. Picked it up yesterday and read the whole book at once!!! Wow the ending is a kicker!!
Wow this was an intense thrill ride! It kept me on the edge-of-my seat and I couldn't put the book down. I kept thinking what would I do if I was in Vivian's position which makes this story so believable.

This book was awesome and I highly recommend it to all. I can't wait to read more from this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for supplying me a copy of Karen Cleveland's "Need to Know" in exchange for an honest review.
A very interesting spy novel which kept me interested and I enjoyed.  A lot of suspense and thrilling moments, fast-paced and a lot of action. Liked the writing style and what unique the plot is. Have not read books on CIA related topics and I found this one to be a very good introduction for me.
Woah! The ending just blew me away! Need to Know is incredibly well written. The suspense build and builds, and then just when the reader thinks it is okay to breathe a sigh of relief it all ramps up again. I found myself wondering how I would react if I were in this situation. Need to Know is a book that I want to recommend to friends!

Karen Cleveland’s Need to Know is a tense, sophisticated romp through Washington, DC – it travels from the suburbs to the heart of the CIA’s analytical offices, and deep into the tangled webs of espionage.

Cleveland herself worked for the CIA as an analyst, and it was, undoubtedly, this expertise that helped to elevate this book from the average, run-of-the-mill spy thriller to a tight, suspenseful winner. Without ever getting bogged down with the details, Cleveland managed to leave no stone unturned, and in doing so, she created a wonderful story and an unforgettable main character.

Equally as fierce as she is vulnerable, Vivian Miller is launched into a world of deceit and betrayal...

See Full Review
Vivian works for the CIA, is happily married to her wonderful husband Matt, is juggling work and raising their 4 children. While working on Russian sleeper agents, she comes across the worst thing that could disrupt her life as she knows it. This is a thrilling read that will keep you turning the pages to find out what will happen next. It makes you wonder if this could really happen. A great debut novel that is hard to put down.
This is a book about bad choices and going against your gut. I was dismayed at the main character I felt she was very contrite and wishy-washy.  She didn't follow through on her beliefs and led to a book that didn't really feel authentic.

This was a very well written book that will quickly grab your attention and hold it until the end. Vivian, a CIA analyst, is working on the Russian counterterrorism team and writes an algorithm to gain access to a suspected Russian sleepers handler's computer. Once gaining access, she makes a discovery that plunges her into a terrifying and dangerous game.

What would you do to protect your family? I found myself wondering if I might actually betray those things that are most important to me to protect my family and their way of life.

The best of books cannot keep me up all night reading; I'm just too old, tired, and grumpy. Need to Know, however, kept me up much later than...