Begin Again

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 May 2018

A well written NA book. The relationships between the characters are believable and it was an overall fun read
I thought this was a great read. It is a roommate romance between Allie and Kaden.  It took me a few chapters to really start hitting me in the feels, but once it took off I kept flipping the pages way into the night. I fully recommend this book, a perfect afternoon read!
Begin Again is the story of Allie and Kaden.

Allie left her overbearing home and family to forge a new life for herself. Going off to college is her escape, but she’s having a small problem finding somewhere to live. When roommate after roommate fall through she’s about to give up and live in her car when she sees another offer. Quickly grabbing her possible last chance Allie hurries over trying to claim the room. The apartment is perfect and clean and everything Allie could ever want. Only problem? Her roommate’s a douche of the highest order. Kaden’s decides to let her stay if she obeys his rules: Don't talk about your girl problems. Keep your mouth shut if I bring someone home. We will NEVER hook up. Seems simple, until Kaden starts being nice. As Allie and Kaden begin to become friends Allie starts seeing someone else behind the hardened exterior Kaden puts off.

Ah I so enjoyed Begin Again. I loved Allie’s character. She was so relatable and inspiring I just couldn’t not adore her. She didn’t let Kaden push her around and her just did what she wanted. When life pushed her down she would get right back up and worked until she got what she wanted. Life wasn’t easy for her, but she worked her butt off to make the best of what she had.

Kaden was a complete douche for a bit, but not so much one that I hated him. He would go out of his way to do nice things for Allie and then complain about it. It was a little funny. I loved the two of them together. Kaden supported Allie and helped keep her strong. Allie pushed Kaden to not be a douche. I liked knowing where Kaden was coming from. He struggled a lot throughout this story and dealt with a lot of guilt, but in the end it made him better.

I really enjoyed this story and I can’t wait to read the next one.

Rating: 4-4.5 stars
4.5 "Not broken, just bent" Stars!

'Begin Again' is a story about finding your voice. Learning how to trust in people even though it means being vulnerable. It's about having strength. And most importantly it's about believing in yourself.

Allie needs change. A change in scenery. A change in how she lives her life. Change. She's tired of being under the scrutiny of her mother. She's tired. Tired of having to fit a mold she wants noting to do with. So, she makes it happen. Moving as far as possible from the life she knew and the parents who don't care or support her. Allie tries her best and acclimates to her new surroundings. Needing a place to live, she responds to an ad that is seeking a roommate. When she arrives to look at the apartment there are some misunderstandings. Without even knowing that that is the least of her worries. What she doesn't know is that she's in for quite a ride with her new brooding hothead of a roommate, and a set of rules that come along with living with him.

Kaden is more than meets the eye. His tough guy persona isn't everything. He has a rough time letting people in because of an incident that happened in the past. He doesn't like getting close or having people get close to him because it just leads to disappointment. But maybe he just needs the right person to see behind his mask. Kaden doesn't make the ideal first impression when Allie comes along. But he doesn't care because he's not looking to make friends and he makes that very clear. As long as Allie follows the rules he has set all will be good. But what happens when rules are made to be broken? What happens when two people who've built walls start crumbling down? What happens when you just need one person to believe in you?

All-in-all I enjoyed this book. Easy, low drama, with mild to little angst. I adored the secondary characters. I loved the friendship between Allie and Dawn. No matter what, Dawn was always there when Allie needed her and vice versa. For my first Mona Kasten book I say it was a winner.
This one just didn't work for me.  I didn't find myself connecting with the story.

Thank you for the chance to read it early.
Allie starting over in a new town in Woodshill, Oregon . All she needs an apartment, after going through so many places she was running out of options. It was her last place to check out. She didn’t care as long as she can move in.
But her roommate is from hell. He 3 strict rules. No talking about girl stuff with him, to any girls he brings home, never ever hookup.
Allie didn’t mind all the rules as long she could move in and start her new life.
Kaden is grumpy and he knows it. But he loves to push Allie around. When she was feeling down, he knew how to rile her up and lift her mood. Even though there were three rules, they were spending more time together and learning about each other.
Allie was controlled by her mother and this was so different from her previous life. All she wanted freedom from her parents and live a life she wanted. Now she is finally living the way she wanted. But when Allie is falling apart when her mother shows up, Kaden was there to help her deal with it. Both were so perfect for each other but Allie and Kaden has some past history they were hiding from each other.
They were there for each other but when his brother visits everything changes. will their relationship survive...

It was great read about friendship, love, starting over. I can’t wait to read about her best friend and his best friend. This will be great series.
thanks to Netgalley and Bastine for my ARC in exchange for honest review.
I was given the opportunity to read an electronic copy of Begin Again via NetGalley.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Allie Harper packs up her life and moves halfway across the country for college.  Desperate to leave the past behind, Allie arrives in town without having secured housing for the upcoming semester.  Is choosing to live with a fellow student with a bad reputation on campus the best way to start in a new place?  Will Allie and Kaden break his list of rules and become real assets to each other or will their arrangement be a colossal mistake?

Begin Again is a NA romance, but it does tackle some difficult subjects.  Allie's need to assert some control over her own life by beginning anew is something that many parents wish for their college students leaving home for the first time.  The author twists this idea on its head with regards to Allie's background and her reasons for desiring a fresh start, giving a place for the plot to go forward.  I have more of an problem with this book because of Kaden and his issues, although they are legitimate ones.  With a good mom as clued into his problems as she is, there is no way that she would not have gotten Kaden some professional help.  The way he treats Allie is wrong and the author does not send enough of a message regarding this.  Begin Again is a quick read and those who like NA romance may like the characters and the college setting.
Everyone has gone on and on about this book and now I know why....It's pretty darn good!!  I can't say I'm obsessed with it as one reviewer said but I'm into it - like I need more...right now.  It started out good, got better and then the author knocked it out of the park.  It kept my attention and kept me interested for the entire book.
I was enjoying this at first. The hero is a huge jerk, which is typically my thing. I thought it had some Thoughtless vibes, what with Kaden and Allie dodging the push and pull between them in the close quarters of their apartment when they find themselves roommates. But then a whole lot of over the top unnecessary drama started happening, the dialogue felt a bit unrealistic, and it just lost me. I skimmed a lot of the last 25%. It was just meh. Easily forgettable, very cliche. I just didn't love it.
A cute little story of two damaged people who find love despite all they have been through.  Allie is trying to change her life by going to a school far from he Nebraska home.  She rents a room from Kaden, a campus bad boy, only after agreeing to his rules.  It is a sweet coming of age story! I received a copy of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I received an advanced copy of this book through Netgalley. This book had me from the very beginning. I love that it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I would highly recommend this book to my fellow readers. Thank you for the chance to review this book!!!!
3.5 Stars

Begin Again is a story than New Adult readers will connect with, finding strength in Allie's desperation to strike out on her own and succeed without the help of her parents. She's left behind pain, she's left behind fear, and she's left behind the girl she used to be. This version of Allie has short hair, eats what she wants, makes friends with who she wants, and...lives with a boy. Not just any boy, either, but the boy on the top of nearly every girl's "I Want" list. Kaden is tattooed, attractive, and neat, he's the sort of roommate anyone would want, except for the odd rules he makes for Allie.
1. Don't talk about your girl problems.
2. Keep your mouth shut if I bring someone home.
3. We will NEVER hook up.
They form a strong bond as roommates, later as friends, and eventually as something more. They lean on one another for comfort, deny the attraction they are feeling, and find meaning in their lives together. These rules were made to be broken.

I enjoyed Begin Again, the heart of the story is one that anyone can connect with, that feeling of wanting to be yourself and wanting to figure it out on your own. Allie is a sweet girl who, despite all her life experiences, is still a bit naive. She's so desperate to be on her own though that she makes it work and her effort is believable. Kaden, of course, is the bad boy we all love and yet want to fix. There's a reason behind his jerk-ish attitude and mood-swing like personality. What starts as a attraction turns into the two getting to know each other, working through the good days and the bad days, and ultimately revealing their true selves. Begin Again takes place at a beautiful, wooded campus, there's the usual college parties, and of course, there's lots of friend interactions. I really liked the secondary characters more than I even liked Kaden and Allie, I could see how Mona Kasten could create a series with them.

Kaden and Allie make a cute couple, but they're almost too driven by their lust. As readers we are told their friendship has blossomed, but the interactions we see, at least until later in the book, are surface level interactions. Allie, who at first seems very courageous, turns out to have incredibly bad habits and thrives off drama in a way I didn't expect. The partying, the way she spends money, and the lack of character development over the course of the novel is ultimately what turned me off of Begin Again. I wanted to see Allie become her own and instead she reverts back into dangerous ways and then suddenly things are fixed. So much more could have been done with this.

Begin Again is a traditional New Adult novel that will appeal to NA fans and NA aged readers. It's sweet, relatable, and a fairly easy read. I didn't find many issues with the German to English translation, but there could be some. If you're looking for a standalone series featuring college aged characters and romance, Begin Again just might be right for you.
This book was alright it definitely was a young adult vibe. I did enjoy it, but I thought the end was a little rushed. I would of definitely liked some look into their future to see what has become of them
Begin Again is set in Oregon with a focus on freedom from foraging your own path- even if it means defying the roles your parents create for you. In Begin Again, Kasten writes so authentically and  with vivid details, that you would never know she's from Germany and hasn't visited USA let alone Oregon.

In this novel, Allie or should I say Crystal, finds herself with a grumpy roommate,  a list of rules to follow, and a frustrating past. Yet she has never felt so free in her life. Her egotistical roommate, Kaden is getting harder to resist. Her freshman year turns into an eventful year, that no one could have imagined.

A great romantic novel, similar to the great romantic comedies of the early 2000's.
I loved this book! It was a great story of healing, freedom, and independence.  I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series, maybe a Spencer and Dawn book?
I rated this book four starts,  because I had some issues with the characters  of this book. Overall this book was  okay. Thanks to Netgalley,  for this free copy. My opinion was my own.
This book was fantastic. I was a little unsure because all of the reviews I read were positive and I didn't see how everyone could love the same book but I was surprised. This book has everything I've really be into lately. It starts out with out main character down on her luck managing to get a new apartment. The only problem is her roommate, he has a ton of rules and a very hard outer shell. As a reader you could tell from the beginning that the two characters were going to get together if not for anything else but the cover of the book. The characters in this book were fantastic, very well written and I liked Kaden and Allie's relationship. How it started and you got to watch it slowly emerge into something more powerful even though both were reluctant to admit it to themselves. One thing that I really enjoyed was there were only the two main characters, Kaden and Allie. I'm so used to books where there are millions of main characters and a ton of sub characters but this one was nice. Just the two main characters and a handful of secondary characters, just enough to keep the story moving. I don't think I've ever seen a book written like that and it was a nice change of pace. A perfect love story that doesn't go over the top in cliches. I think that Kaden's character was the best there was just something about him that made him super interesting. I think that he will go down as one of the best "book boyfriends" ever.  Great read and I'm glad I got the chance to check it out.
Begin Again is Allie and Kaden’s story. I thought I was going to love this book but sadly, I did not. This plot of the unassuming college girl managing to catch the eye of the hottie player on campus and change him into a committed boyfriend is just so overdone. I liked Allie but Kaden’s back and forth was giving me major whiplash and I really didn’t feel connected to a lot of the secondary characters - especially her best buds. I feel like I’ve read this book before and it was better the first time I read it.

Thank you to Netgalley and be-ebooks for the digital copy.
I was drawn into the story fairly quickly and ended up really liking this somewhat angsty college drama that had endearing friendships combined with witty banter plus one A-hole male "jerk".
I was a little surprised to find out that it was translated from German as it was so clearly set in the U.S.
The initial meet between Allie and Kaden was plenty entertaining, they clearly got off to a rough start as roomies but this enemies to lover's story was powerful and resonated deeply with me.
Dawn was the "perfect" loyal best friend Allie or any other girl could hope for and Spencer was a "dream" guy that that was willing to put himself quite literally "in the line of fire" to knock some sense into Kaden. Ethan, Monica, and Scott were fabulous characters also.
There was also off the charts family drama involved here, Allie's mother was a nasty piece of work and pretty much morally bankrupt in terms of feelings or integrity.
Overall a pretty great and entertaining read.
A coming of age story, “Begin Again” is about finding freedom your own way. Without saying, “nothing is free in this world,” author Mona Kasten showed that Allie and Kaden had to fight for their independence every step of the way. Nothing was given to them. They had to work for it.

But, it is not just teen angst, “Begin Again” is also a beautiful love story. Please be aware that this book is YA, so some of you who are more used to faster pacing might find it a bit slower than Fast & Furious. There is a rhythm to it that makes you continue reading, just not at neck-breaking speed.

“Begin Again” is Rated T for Teens. Parental guidance is strongly advice due to some adult situations.