The Becoming of Noah Shaw

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Nov 2017

major TW: suicide, depression, self-harm (seriously, do NOT read this book if suicide attempts & discussion thereof makes you uncomfortable)

honestly just love yourself and pretend that mara dyer was a duology. i majorly hyped myself up for this because it was revisiting characters i havent seen since i was 16 and redelving into their world and conflicts. And there were things I liked about it like the setting in New York City. From subway rides to top floor apartments to just the busy atmosphere, it was everything I wanted it to be. But there was more that I didn’t enjoy.

I just can’t get over my feeling that I don’t think this continuation is necessary. And if it is, it...

See Full Review
I was so excited when I heard that this one was coming out and I'm honestly so disappointed. There should have been some kind of recap of what had happened in Mara Dyer because I had to look at a million reviews to remember what had happened and why they were in the situation they were. This didn't feel like the original trilogy at all. It didn't pull me in or keep me there. It wasn't paced very well and I just didn't feel like Noah was Noah. I wish I could give this a better review
Regrettably, I was not able to read this before it was archived because of the formatting. I also have read really mixed reviews regarding it, and as I wasn't even the hugest Mara Dyer fan in the first place, I don't think I'm going to read this.
I stopped reading at 13%. I don't remember very clearly what happened in the original Mara Dyer trilogy, but that might be hindering me from enjoying this book. There was also no clear plot laid out in that 13% I read--no real hook, either--or in the blurb. The writing was fine--a bit much at times--but not unbearable.

My review of The Becoming of Noah Shaw is posted on my blog: Hope, Faith & Books

The review was posted on November 8, 2017.

The link to my review of The Becoming of Noah Shaw is here: https://hopefaithbooks.blogspot.com/2017/11/review-becoming-of-noah-shaw-by.html

Review: Oh my god! I loved this book so much! So, I really want to keep this review spoiler free so I might be a bit vague about a few things. But trust me, you definitely want to experience this book and it's shocking moments when you read it, not in a review. So small bit of info, you should read all the Mara Dyer books before this to fully understand things happening. I actually haven't completely. I'm in...

See Full Review

Thank you Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

First off if you have read the The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and the other two books in the trilogy start there. You will understand who everyone is and who Mara and Noah are better if you read her trilogy before starting this one.

I just finished this and I am still processing... I mean like I know Mara is bad, but she isn't and I love her and I am 100% on board with shipping Noah and Mara so I don't know how I feel, but I get why she did what she did.

Normally I would say quite a bit more about what is going on in this book and then jump in with how I feel about it, but I...

See Full Review

The Becoming of Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkin was very high up on my list of most anticipated reads for 2017, and I really couldn’t wait to get started on the book. I even binge re-read the Mara Dyer series beforehand, just so the story and characters from the original books would be fresh in my mind once I started this one. (I’m really glad that I decided to reread those books first, there was so much that I had forgotten from the first time I read them!)

The Becoming of Noah Shaw is the first book in The Shaw Confessions series by Michelle Hodkin. This new series is a companion series to the Mara Dyer series, and picks up not long after where The Retribution of Mara Dyer ends. You could...

The becoming of Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkins

I just finished The Beckmkng of Noah Shaw and MICHELLE HODKINS HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW.

I can't even write a proper review right now after what I just read. I liked some parts and I hated some parts and I honestly don't know what to feel.

I think what I didn't like the most was Noah's pov especially since I loved him in the Mara Dyer trilogy, something just felt off about this book and it was mainly Noah and Mara

I totally understand that through his pov we see things differently and that's fine and dandy but I don't know if it's because it's been awhile since...

See Full Review

To be specific I'm rating this 4.5 stars.

When I had first heard about this book I would have happily bought it no matter if it was Noah Shaw or something else. The Mara Dyer trilogy was one of my first Young Adults and I absolutely loved it even as a reread... but if you've read the Mara Dyer trilogy you know that even though the first to were fantastic that last one took a flop. I'm not sure what caused that but I know the book felt like the series was taken over by a completely different writer... and thats how The Becoming of Noah Shaw feels.

To be honest that may be the point of The Becoming of Noah Shaw considering it sounds like its written by an English author and...

See Full Review

I gave this book 5 stars. I really loved how well this book was written, the characters weren't weird and different than they were in the original trilogy and it was well paced.

This book was a ticking time bomb. We know from the synopsis that Noah and Mara are going to have the main conflict in this book. Going into this book I was very nervous as I love Noah and Mara together. They are perfect together. It’s even harder seeing Noah grow to distrust Mara as he loves her so much. They love each other so much and that’s part of the problem, they are willing to do anything to protect each other.

The fact that our former protagonist of the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is now our antagonist...

See Full Review

I have always been a huge fan of Michelle Hodkin and her Mara Dyer series, so I was so excited to be able to read this continuation. However, I wasn’t as into it as I hoped I would be.

Hodkin still has a magical way of writing, but I didn’t experience the same cravings to read like I did when I read the original series. I adore Noah Shaw, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that I only love Noah through Mara’s eyes.

The story itself was pretty good. There was plenty of mystery and twists that kept me reading, but at the same time it felt unnecessary.

I’m glad I read it, and I’m curious to see where this could go. Thanks to netfalley for providing a free copy in exchange for...

See Full Review

The original Mara Dyer trilogy is absolutely one of the best series I’ve read, YA or otherwise, and the eerie, haunting feel of it is unmatched. It’s committed to its aesthetic, from everything to the writing style to the cover designs to the titles. So of course when I heard their was going to be a spinoff series from Noah’s POV, of course I was going to read it, even if I wasn’t sure how the tale was going to continue after the revelations in The Retribution of Mara Dyer. However, Michelle Hodkin continues her unsettling series seamlessly in a new state with a new plot and new supporting characters, while still pulling the frightening threads that wove the first three novels into such a...

See Full Review

I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

I dove into Michelle Hodkin’s The Becoming of Noah Shaw partly eager, excited, and afraid. It’s been a few years since I read The Mara Dyer trilogy and my memory is not so great, nor did I have time for a re-read, so I’ll admit, I was confused throughout the book. I was able to recollect some of the things that happened based on what was going on and what was being mentioned. Still, it was a rather fun read, for I tried to make myself think of this as a new series anyway and not worry about what’s already happened.

We open to Noah’s father’s funeral. We are...

See Full Review
I don't have words for this.

Being in Noah's head is exactly what I expected. He's smart and rude and shamelessly loves Mara and I was maniacally gleeful as I read every word on every page.

It was one hell of a roller coaster I should have been prepared for, but was still stunned speechless when I got to the end.

Yes, this review is vague af, but I wouldn't dream of ruining one single page.

**Huge thanks to Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers for providing the arc free of charge.**

After the end of the Retribution of Mara Dyer I wanted more of Mara and co's story. The Becoming of Noah Shaw filled this hole stupendously. This book gave us a chance to see the next part in his story from his point of view as the main character. I always found his story to be the most compelling given his upbringing and family. The story told from his perspective allowed me to get a better understanding not only of Noah but of his relationship with Mara. The plot centers around other Gifted committing suicide and the gang trying to find out why.
While the writing was incredibly well done I felt there was little development for characters other than Noah. The book does come with...

See Full Review

I'd gladly reread this book and risk further heart break. It was worth it.
I read the entire Mara Dyer Series and loved it but I had no idea the Shaw Confessions was going to come out.
First, let me start by saying that the summary is crazy. I was almost shouting at my computer screen because I was so afraid Noah and Mara might be torn apart.
Again.
When I opened to the first page, I was immediately struck by how different Noah's though processes are. Unlike Mara's story, the wording here is more formal and less playful. This story is also a lot more adult. Scenes of violence, sexual acts, and other possibly offensive acts do take place. There is a trigger warning, so...