Tool of War

Pub Date   |   Archive Date 23 Oct 2017

I have loved the author's work since I first read The Ship Breaker. Totally something I'd recommend to my students.

Tool may have been designed as a perfect killing machine, yet he has become more than the scientists could have planned. He has shattered his programming and he now has a new pack. This pack consists of human soldiers and they are willing to follow him anywhere. Tool may be able to ignore his feelings of loyalty toward the gods from the sky, but he is still aware that someone is still after him. Will Tool be able to take down the people who genetically enslaved him? Is he all animal or is there a piece of humanity in him? Tool of War is the third book in the Ship Breaker series. Bacigalupi continues his saga of a world gone wrong and takes his characters to new depths with insights...

See Full Review

This book picks up Tool's story a few years after the events in Drowned Cities. Tool is different from other augments, in that he can think for himself and he doesn't have a master. This book mostly covers why that is and it was quite a shocker when it is revealed. Like the other books this one is brutally honest in it's depiction of war. There is a lot of death, sometimes on a vast scale, but mostly on a much deeper and personal level. Most of the other characters are kids, some in their teens, but many much younger, who are forced to fight against more powerful and better equipped organizations. The story is mostly told through Tool's point of view, with other chapters told by...

See Full Review
Always look forward to reading his books. Appeals to strong, intelligent readers
Bacigalupi finished the series with a good, solid book. Tool is a great character and his strengths and weakness lead the reader through adventures from a different world.