Long Way Down

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Oct 2017

This is the first book of Jason's that I have read and it was awesome.  I love the fact that he wrote it like a poem, it made the book very interesting.  What really surprised me was how you still felt like you were getting the whole story, just without all the junk you don't need.  I have recommended this book to teens who are interested in poetry
"Told in short, fierce staccato narrative verse" (as described by Amazon), this National Book Award finalist is very powerful in both its story and its delivery. At the risk of stereotyping, it is a good companion to Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give. Both of these, read in tandem, provided an enlightening reading experience for me as a middle aged Canadian white woman of the "black lives matter" environment currently being lived in the United States. Powerful prose, impactful tone, and unique style ... this is an important book for our times.

This is not a traditional story or novel. It's more of a poetic prose that explores the thoughts of a fifteen year old boy and his struggle to follow the 'rules' of his ghetto life. The difficulty being that he has morales yet believes that gun violence is 'required' (because of the rules) and thus a circle of killing is destined to continue in his family and community.
It's brilliantly set-up as an elevator ride from floor 7 down to the lobby. At each floor someone he knows or knows of is added to the elevator to comment (very poetically) on the situation that is influencing the teen to perpetuate the gun violence.

I don't want to give much away...

See Full Review
What a powerful story! I absolutely loved this one and will buy a copy for my bookshelf too. The pace was quick and it made the tension ratchet up nicely.

I really enjoyed this book. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to review it.

I feel like this subject matter is important to cover and read about especially now with all the things going on in the world.

I appreciated the insight that I got through the viewpoint of all the people in the main character's life that gun violence touched and affected.

At times this was hard to read because of the intensity of it but I think that was necessary to get the point across to the reader.

This was definitely an eye opening read.

I don't know how I felt about it being presented in verse and there were also times I wish the book could have been longer...

See Full Review
When I read All-American Boys by Jason Reynolds last year I was left angry and in tears. The writing in this book, while very different, seeing as it is in prose, is no less visceral. If the background of the file hadn't eaten up so much of my battery I probably would have read this in one sitting.

It is a cautionary tale about the cycle of revenge killings and an eye for an eye. While this is by new means a new concept, the use of language and the verse form in this story just make it breathtaking.

What did I love about this book?
- Jason Reynolds' prose. Who can deliver free verse with such meaning?
- I love the cover of this book. Although I read it as an ebook from NetGalley I love the look of the black and white cover displaying old-style round elevator buttons against a scratched and soiled wall.
- I love the pages that appear to be the scuffed paint of the elevator walls.
- I love the sparsity of words on the page.
- I love the chapters told as a trip in the elevator.
- I love the ending!

- Who can turn your thinking around in 200 pages the way Jason Reynolds can?
- Will's brother Shawn was murdered and Will believes he must avenge the death. Like all of...

See Full Review
Shockingly powerful book in prose, Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds will pull in the reader. Will's older brother Shawn has just been killed and Will is left reeling in the aftermath, but honouring the rules: don't cry, don't snitch, get revenge. Armed with his brother's gun, Wil boards the elevator, but then is visited by an impossible series of people, each with a significant story to share. Through Reynolds' masterful storytelling and poignant words, a remarkable story unfolds.

Powerful and raw, this is a story that needs to be read. I consumed Long Way Down in a short period of time, but it will stay with me for much, much longer.
This is such an amazing book.

It’s an incredibly moving story. It reminded me of other popular books right now, where the main character has to deal with the aftermath of his brother being shot and killed.

The story is written in verse, which is unique. It made the book a quick read. Some of the phrases were just so beautiful and moving. I loved the lyrical style of writing.

This is a story about the never ending cycle of revenge. When does it end?

The ending gave me chills. It was so good! I highly recommend this moving story!
I apologize but I did not have time to read this book before the publication date but will place a hold when it becomes available at the library.  No review.
holy crap this book was amazing. It was a quick yet super intriguing book. I am so thankful to get to read this arc

I received this book from NetGalley. I requested it after reading the description and thought it would be very interesting to read. I didn’t have much hope for getting the ARC as I am not always successful with big publishers, and Long Way Down is published by Simon & Schuster Canada.

Long Way Down is the first book by Jason Reynolds that I have read, even though I heard about All American Boys before.

Short synopsis

An ode to Put the Damn Guns Down, this is National Book Award finalist and New York Times bestseller Jason Reynolds’s fiercely stunning novel that takes place in sixty potent seconds—the time it takes a kid to decide whether or not he’s going to murder the guy who killed...

See Full Review
Long Way Down is a short read with a lot of depth. It is a commentary on The Rules (Don’t cry. Don't snitch. Take revenge.) and the devestation following the rules can cause. The story follows Will in the aftermath of the shooting death of his brother as he attempts to follow those rules. On the way down from his apartment to the street he encounters various people who have been part of his life. To say more would be too much. Read it. It will make you think!
I don't generally like books written in verse, but figured I would give this one a chance because Jason Reynolds is such a good writer, and I am so glad I did! It was written beautifully, so powerful and intense, and the ending had me thinking for a long time. I will definitely be purchasing this, and all of Jason Reynolds' other books for the library and I'll probably also get a copy for myself.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atheneum for the ARC :)

After months of waiting, I was lucky to receive an ARC of this book, downloaded it, and read in one sitting. I paused only after reading the fifth page to share with social media that I knew this would be a very special read.

This is the story of Will, who is fulfilling the rules his brother Shawn passed onto him after Shawn is shot. Three rules: No crying. No snitching. Revenge. When Will returns home after we know Shawn is dead, Reynolds describes the two brother’s relationship and how they differ. Now we know as Will falls asleep with Shawn’s gun under his pillow that the stage is set for the third rule, Revenge.

As Will sets out to seek revenge for Shawn’s death the next morning, he...

See Full Review

In fifteen-year-old Will’s neighbourhood, there are certain rules that must be followed when a family member is murdered: no crying, no snitching, and get revenge. These rules were taught to him by his brother, Shawn, who was taught by his uncle, who was taught by his brother, Will’s father and so on back to long before Will was born. And they have all obeyed the rules. Now, Shawn has been murdered and it is Will’s turn. He finds his brother’s gun and, with it tucked into his waistband, he heads out to get revenge against the man whom he assumes, without any real evidence, was the shooter. But as he takes the elevator down, it stops on each floor and a literal ghost from his past enters...

See Full Review
Loved this book! Read most of it in one sitting, and would have but life happened. The last 50 or so pages are especially brilliant, but the last page... wow. This writer can do so much in just a few pages, just a few words. A vicious cycle of violence is brilliantly presented in a way that will stick with readers. Will's brother is shot. He plans his revenge and the novel goes through a 60 second span in which he considers the decision. Long Way Down was just put on the list of contenders for the National Book Award, but if you have read anything by Jason Reynolds you didn't need to know that to want to read this book. It does not disappoint.
Long Way Down was a fast paced, thought provoking read. The entire book takes place in 60 seconds in an elevator. The author does a fantastic job at painting a picture of the place the main character lives, but also leaves room to imagine it yourself. This book, written in poem like stances, captures you right from the beginning, until the very end. If you're looking for a quick, dramatic read, this is for you!