Long Way Down

Pub Date   |   Archive Date 31 Oct 2017

What did I love about this book? - Jason Reynolds' prose. Who can deliver free verse with such meaning? - I love the cover of this book. Although I read it as an ebook from NetGalley I love the look of the black and white cover displaying old-style round elevator buttons against a scratched and soiled wall. - I love the pages that appear to be the scuffed paint of the elevator walls. - I love the sparsity of words on the page. - I love the chapters told as a trip in the elevator. - I love the ending! - Who can turn your thinking around in 200 pages the way Jason Reynolds can? - Will's brother Shawn was murdered and Will believes he must avenge the death. Like all of Jason...

See Full Review
Shockingly powerful book in prose, Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds will pull in the reader. Will's older brother Shawn has just been killed and Will is left reeling in the aftermath, but honouring the rules: don't cry, don't snitch, get revenge. Armed with his brother's gun, Wil boards the elevator, but then is visited by an impossible series of people, each with a significant story to share. Through Reynolds' masterful storytelling and poignant words, a remarkable story unfolds. Powerful and raw, this is a story that needs to be read. I consumed Long Way Down in a short period of time, but it will stay with me for much, much longer.
This is such an amazing book. It’s an incredibly moving story. It reminded me of other popular books right now, where the main character has to deal with the aftermath of his brother being shot and killed. The story is written in verse, which is unique. It made the book a quick read. Some of the phrases were just so beautiful and moving. I loved the lyrical style of writing. This is a story about the never ending cycle of revenge. When does it end? The ending gave me chills. It was so good! I highly recommend this moving story!
I apologize but I did not have time to read this book before the publication date but will place a hold when it becomes available at the library. No review.
holy crap this book was amazing. It was a quick yet super intriguing book. I am so thankful to get to read this arc

I received this book from NetGalley. I requested it after reading the description and thought it would be very interesting to read. I didn’t have much hope for getting the ARC as I am not always successful with big publishers, and Long Way Down is published by Simon & Schuster Canada. Long Way Down is the first book by Jason Reynolds that I have read, even though I heard about All American Boys before. Short synopsis An ode to Put the Damn Guns Down, this is National Book Award finalist and New York Times bestseller Jason Reynolds’s fiercely stunning novel that takes place in sixty potent seconds—the time it takes a kid to decide whether or not he’s going to murder the guy who...

See Full Review
Long Way Down is a short read with a lot of depth. It is a commentary on The Rules (Don’t cry. Don't snitch. Take revenge.) and the devestation following the rules can cause. The story follows Will in the aftermath of the shooting death of his brother as he attempts to follow those rules. On the way down from his apartment to the street he encounters various people who have been part of his life. To say more would be too much. Read it. It will make you think!
I don't generally like books written in verse, but figured I would give this one a chance because Jason Reynolds is such a good writer, and I am so glad I did! It was written beautifully, so powerful and intense, and the ending had me thinking for a long time. I will definitely be purchasing this, and all of Jason Reynolds' other books for the library and I'll probably also get a copy for myself. Thank you to NetGalley and Atheneum for the ARC :)

After months of waiting, I was lucky to receive an ARC of this book, downloaded it, and read in one sitting. I paused only after reading the fifth page to share with social media that I knew this would be a very special read. This is the story of Will, who is fulfilling the rules his brother Shawn passed onto him after Shawn is shot. Three rules: No crying. No snitching. Revenge. When Will returns home after we know Shawn is dead, Reynolds describes the two brother’s relationship and how they differ. Now we know as Will falls asleep with Shawn’s gun under his pillow that the stage is set for the third rule, Revenge. As Will sets out to seek revenge for Shawn’s death the next...

See Full Review

In fifteen-year-old Will’s neighbourhood, there are certain rules that must be followed when a family member is murdered: no crying, no snitching, and get revenge. These rules were taught to him by his brother, Shawn, who was taught by his uncle, who was taught by his brother, Will’s father and so on back to long before Will was born. And they have all obeyed the rules. Now, Shawn has been murdered and it is Will’s turn. He finds his brother’s gun and, with it tucked into his waistband, he heads out to get revenge against the man whom he assumes, without any real evidence, was the shooter. But as he takes the elevator down, it stops on each floor and a literal ghost from his past enters...

See Full Review
Loved this book! Read most of it in one sitting, and would have but life happened. The last 50 or so pages are especially brilliant, but the last page... wow. This writer can do so much in just a few pages, just a few words. A vicious cycle of violence is brilliantly presented in a way that will stick with readers. Will's brother is shot. He plans his revenge and the novel goes through a 60 second span in which he considers the decision. Long Way Down was just put on the list of contenders for the National Book Award, but if you have read anything by Jason Reynolds you didn't need to know that to want to read this book. It does not disappoint.
Long Way Down was a fast paced, thought provoking read. The entire book takes place in 60 seconds in an elevator. The author does a fantastic job at painting a picture of the place the main character lives, but also leaves room to imagine it yourself. This book, written in poem like stances, captures you right from the beginning, until the very end. If you're looking for a quick, dramatic read, this is for you!
Amazing, as always, from Jason Reynolds. In brief, poetic vignettes, he asks what the rules are that apply to young black men in inner cities.

This book was fucking amazing… The description of Will’s sorrow at losing his brother just broke me, because I know this feeling, and the way it was described is so visceral, so intense, and so. Fucking. Real. I couldn’t put this book down–by which I mean the PDF file open on my screen, drawing me in and forcing me to finish the whole book in one sitting. Last year, almost to the day, my brother passed away. And I may not have been raised with The Rules like Will, but you’re damn right they seem to have seeped their way under my skin. No crying. No snitching. Revenge. The description of sorrow, the kicking in the throat, the tooth that’s missing–hell, the tooth that has been ripped...

See Full Review
This is a hard hitting look at gangs and gun violence in our youth of today. Will's brother has just been shot and killed on the street. Will decides that he must retaliate against who he thinks was the shooter. He grabs a gun from his brother's dresser and gets on the elevator. On the way down to the lobby he encounters friends and family members affected by gun violence. Will this change his decision?

What a powerful book! Written in verse format using spacing on the page just as powerfully as the words themselves. There is so much emotion in so few words: heartache, anguish, despair, duty, fear, sadness etc. This book would be an excellent addition to any high school English curriculum. Will's brother Shawn is murdered and 15 year old Will must seek revenge as per the 'rules'. The book follows Will as he descends in an elevator, stopping at each floor to admit another passenger, each one asking questions and helping Will think about the revenge that he is seeking. With each stop you can feel the pain that Will is feeling and see the hopeless loop his life is in and wonder...

See Full Review
Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy of this book. There is a lot of power in this novel -- packed into short poetic passages. Will's brother has just been shot and killed. Will sets out to revenge his brother's death and steps into the elevator with a loaded gun in the waistband of his jeans. A new person gets on the elevator on every floor on the way to the lobby. Each person has a special message for Will and gives him a different perspective on his mission. I think the most moving descriptions in the novel were the chapters that described the killing, its aftermath, and the reactions of the bystanders and family. A very powerful book, and highly recommended. (Goodreads) (less)
Superb! Another powerful book from the incredible Jason Reynolds! With extraordinary use of such few words, he manages to build suspense and doubt in this heart stopping narrative!