The French Girl

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2018

I enjoyed reading The French Girl. Like many other readers, I felt that the book began and ended well, but sections in the middle were a bit slow and felt unnecessary. I felt emotionally invested enough in the characters to keep reading through, and the pace did pick back up nicely. I enjoyed elements the mystery and suspense and felt the author did a great job of keeping me guessing who murdered Severine. Overall, a fun and exciting read!
From beginning to the end - superb! It has just the right amount of mystery to keep you reading just one more chapter. I would highly recommend to those who like a slow and very worthwhile reveal.
The French Girl by Lexie Elliott reminds me of a good old-fashioned Agatha Christie whodunit with a ghost thrown into the mix.  This story is about 6 friends who vacationed together in France a decade ago.  While on vacation a local girl disappeared and was never heard from again.  Fast forward ten years and the girl's body has been discovered leading the group of now 5 friends to start suspecting each other.  This book keeps you guessing right up to the satisfying conclusion.  Read and enjoy!
So it turns out that I must not really be a suspense reader. I get roped in with the publisher's descriptions, but always end up unsatisfied. This book was no exception. Must read books about people with feelings.

But if YOU like suspenseful books, this is a reasonably good mystery about a group of university friends and the mysterious disappearance of a french girl. Maybe you'll like it.

I received a free ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

I have had an ARC of The French Girl from both NetGalley and Penguin First to Read for a while now, and for some reason, I was never in the right reading mood for it. Once that mood hit, I had a hard time stopping and finished The French Girl in less than 24 hours.

The French Girl is narrated by a 31-year-old professional named Kate who has just started her own business and is living her best life in London when she receives news that turns her life upside down. Ten years earlier, Kate and five of her friends spent a week in the French countryside and met a mysterious young French girl named Severine. The friends turned out to be the last people to see Severine alive, and the investigation...

See Full Review
A sign of a good book is when you have trouble putting it down and this certainly applied with The French Girl.  The characters became real and the story has three important components, crime, suspence and romance.  Highly recommend.

When they graduated from college, they went on a vacation to celebrate. Celebrate they did and some of them hooked up in relationships, but it would come back to haunt them later in life. Finding a dead body in a well will do that for you...

Berkley and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you). It will be published February 20th.

This was a very interesting read. It looks back at the personalities of the students, the things they wanted in the past, and how much they want to save what they have at the present time. They've changed. Some for the better, some for the worst. But if the French girl never left, who was on the video camera footage wearing her clothes?...

See Full Review
I loved the premise of The French Girl., in a physiological thriller reunion, six characters must face the ramifications of their irresponsible college actions 10 years later. With a likable underdog protagonist, an interesting mystery is revealed if you're patient enough to stick with it. Sadly, some readers may find that his thriller just isn't thrilling enough to keep their attention.
While on vacation in France, six college friends are the last ones to see the title character alive. Ten years later, the cold case is reopened, and their lives are thrown into turmoil. The mystery is easy to follow but still satisfying and the main character is easy to root for. Very enjoyable.
3.5ish
I've been a in a reading slump for awhile, concentrating mostly on non-fiction to fill the void until something grabbed me.
This book did grab me and kept me reading. It's a well-written, cold case murder mystery with 6 suspects and no clear front runner for the guilty party.
The only place it fell down was at the end where I was expecting more of a bang up finish to match the quality of the writing and plotting throughout. Instead it ended with more of a soft thud, not sure what happened to have the author ease off the throttle.

Another book that is getting lots of praise and high ratings is The French Girl by Lexie Elliot. I’ll be reading this one soon but wanted to mention it so you can pick up and start reading! I cannot wait to sit and read this book, so much about the premise has me intrigued.

For Kate Channing, Severine was an unwelcome presence, her inscrutable beauty undermining the close-knit group’s loyalties amid the already simmering tensions. And after a huge altercation on the last night of the holiday, Kate knew nothing would ever be the same. There are some things you can’t forgive, and there are some people you can’t forget, like Severine, who was never seen again.

Now, a decade later, the case...

See Full Review
A real page turner - I couldn't stop until I knew what happened. I found myself drawn into the story and really getting angry at some of the characters and the way they tried to navigate this discovery.
This one was ok - pretty average in this genre.  I thought it had a bit of a pat ending, but I did enjoy reading it.  It moved quickly and would be a good vacation read.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this book.

It always puzzles me when I love a book that lots of others just hate. I understand varying degrees of liking or disliking a book and some books are such that many dislike them. This book was one where I just don't get it. It makes me wonder if somehow my perception is flawed; made me wait a day for further reflection. So here I am still not knowing. I was immediately grabbed by the book. I found it readable and never boring. The mystery took twists and turns....for indeed this is a mystery....and pretty much kept me guessing. Tracing relationships from 10 years ago into the present was interesting because they mainly...

See Full Review
Six friends from Oxford University spend a week at a French farmhouse ten years ago. Severine, the girl next door, disappears. When her body is found ten years later, the investigation is re-opened and Kate is suspected along with her friends. Secrets, lies and friendship. This novel keeps unfolding until the very last page, I couldn't put it down!

My Thoughts:
Transparency is very important to me when it comes to reviews... and this was my least favorite read of 2017. I didn't like anything about it, and I am not afraid to tell you that regardless of this being an ARC or not. I feel as if the characters didn't develop at all, and they were all unlikable, the setting was boring, as well as the actual story line... There was nothing redeeming about this novel for me.

Cons:
The Characters: The characters in this novel were SO boring. There was absolutely no character development, they were all unlikable (which would be ok if they weren't boring.), and they just didn't do it for me. I didn't care what...

See Full Review
A decent murder mystery but nothing new. Several old friends are thrown together again regarding the discovery of the body of a neighboring French girl  who disappeared 10 years ago. The police start to suspect them and they start to suspect one another. The characters are okay and the plot pretty basic. I did not find the French investigator’s romance very plausible  or the ending very satisfying.

The French Girl
by Lexie Elliott
Feb 20, 2018
3- 1/2 stars

My favorite character in this whole book was Severine, our murdered French girl, who appears to follow Kate Channing around, one of the main suspects in her murder. To me, this made the book interesting.

Ten years ago six friends take a trip to the French countryside to celebrate the finish of college. They meet Severine, our French girl from next door. Apparently, Severine throws a wrench into the personal relationships of our group of friends, and as the week passes friendships are tested. Ten years later the police from France show up to investigate the murder of Severine.
This is a slow paced mystery - thriller with a...

See Full Review
I loved the book even though I didn't find Kate, the main character, a believable suspect.   I was hooked through the writer's development of her characters.   Very well written novel.  I highly recommend it.
I found the relationships with the characters to be fascinating and a reflection of the sad truth that we actually do not really know those we are closest to and the secrets we all keep.