The French Girl

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2018

I want to be honest here. I love some good thrillers but I struggled with this one and sadly it was almost a DNF. However I could see people loving it, that’s the magic of books!
I tried to get into this a couple of times, but I couldn't get past the first few chapters. It just wasn't for me. However, I did find the description intriguing.
I Did Not Finish this one I  ended up getting the audiobook and gave up at 40% way too slow moving and boring didn't care what happened to any of the characters.
It's been a bit since I read this book, but recall just not caring all that much about it. It seemed derivative of other books (and movies) I'd seen before (and since).  I thought it might be an interesting read, something to pass an afternoon or two with, but nope- wasn't that book. Sorry. not for me. But so many other's liked it- maybe you will too.
I enjoyed the characters in this one.  At times the read was a little slow, mainly because it lacked the suspense that would have given it that little nudge to be a great read.
Six friends from university spent a school break holidaying on a French farm. The end of their vacation took a turn when the neighboring girl has come up missing the day that they left. Now, ten years later her body has been found and the investigation is being re-opened. All of the friends are being questioned and many stand to lose everything if the truth from that night really comes out.

This was much more of a slow burn read than most thrillers/suspense. It dealt a lot with character development which made you really attached to them and made you feel the feelings they were feeling towards each other. This was one heck of a wild ride. I would recommend this to people who enjoy slow burn thrillers cause it definitely had some excitement.
I thought I would like this book, but I did not.  It was just too weird for me.  I had great hopes for it, but nope.  Didn't happen for me.
Though I liked the book, I made the decision when I finished not to review it on my site because it didn't fit into my editorial schedule. I may include it in a review post or possibly a book list post in the future.
I found this pretty boring and not very well written. It just wasn't for me. . I couldn't even finish it. But I am not a huge fan of mystery thrillers and this falls in that camp so it probably was just personal opinion.
This one was quite good. 6 friends were on holiday in France 10 years ago and the girl in the farmhouse next door went missing. Now her body has been discovered and the French police are under pressure to solve the case. Only one of the 6 knows the whole story but which one is it? Kate struggles to keep her business afloat while dealing with the stress of being the prime suspect with the best motive. Who can she really trust and which of her friends is a murderer? What doesn't she remember? I definitely recommend it.
This was a suspense filled novel that kept me reading. Will suggest to customers who are into thriller style fiction. Will be looking for more from this author.
Strong mystery/thriller. Took me a little while to get into it and I didn't find myself too invested in the characters, but otherwise an interesting mystery.
It was supposed to be a holiday to relax after graduation but something went horribly wrong. This is the story of six friends who, after graduating from Oxford University, head to France to spend a week drinking and chilling. But Severine enters their lives, until she suddenly disappears the night before they return to England.
Ten years later, her body is found in a well by the house where they were staying and the police have questions for the six friends. Kate Channing, from whose point of view the story is told, is now thirty-one years old, single, and busy finding new clients for her new headhunter firm. She doesn't have good memories of that French week and some of them are not accurate at all. The start of the investigation brings the six friends back together and with that Kate's guilt and feelings.
Slow-paced yet captivating, this novel was enjoyable and mysterious. The author does a good job casting doubt on Kate's character, but, despite this, I really liked this character. A compelling read about friendship, love, jealousies, and secrets.
Six friends vacation at a farmhouse in France. Their neighbor Severine disappears. They were all questioned as they were the last people to see her before she vanished. A decade later, the unsolved case has new evidence and the friends are put back in the spotlight of the investigation as they were the last to see her alive.

The story is slow to start and easy to put put down.
If Agatha Christie were still alive, she would blurb this book. A fun modern take on the country house cozy.
This book is such a slow burn and it really took a long time to pick up. It also feels more like a love story than a mystery. Things can get repetitive and boring at times. I was a bit disappointed that there's not much stuff about Severine, the French girl. Things are quite predictable but I must say it is well-written that I stick to it until the end.
A slowly paced mind-messing thriller this novel kept me engrossed for the subtle details placed sporadically throughout the novel.  There was no big reveal and no moment of climax but I still found myself determined to seek the truth.

The idyllic scene that these friends found themselves in in France a decade prior was obviously filled with secrets and sexual activity. Swapping of partners, slow burning interest and sometimes even love threw chaos into this group and a decade later the truth starts to emerge when an accidental death of a local girl becomes murder and not an accidental death.

The friends are forced into a scenario they had all hoped to avoid and are now looking at each other with suspicion. The characters were all very interesting and melded well into a group though I was also impressed with the author's ability to give them each a solid foundation as well.

As I mentioned before though this novel moves slowly, very slowly, and there were times when I may even have been a bit bored.  In actual fact though, this may have made the novel more fascinating as it gave time to give each person a daily existence and developed character for each. Kate was the main character so she obviously got more air time but I didn't find the others lacking. Each additional scene and dropped snippet of information was valuable.

A great first novel and an author I have ear marked- waiting for her next book!

Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group for our review copy.  All opinions are our own.
Let me just start off by saying I devoured this book. It was definitely one of the best books I’ve read all the year.
This suspenseful mystery is told from the point of view of Kate, 1 of 6 friends that spent a fun week full of partying, swimming and drugs in France 10 years ago. In present day, the remains of a body are found in a well. The remains of a French girl they befriended that week. They are the last to see her alive. This story tells the investigation of Severine; a young girl who was murdered, and Kate must come to terms that one of her best friends did it. Yet, the French police somehow have her as their prime suspect.

I don’t want to spoil too much of this book, because the best part was not knowing what comes next. I couldn’t put this book down. It kept me up all night, reading chapter after chapter because each one just leaves you hanging. The writing style was great, and the story flowed flawlessy.

This story is full of friendship, suspense, betrayal, love, and murder. There is even a touch of the paranormal, which somehow fits in nice n’ snug.

I would recommend this book to anyone, even those who don’t typically read thrillers or mysteries would enjoy The French Girl.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Books for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
What an amazing read from beginning to end! The characters were well written, the details of the story were flowing and I stayed up all night reading it from beginning to end.
I have recommended this book to many friends and family through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
This was a good read. The story was more than a murder mystery, it was a look at friendships and how they evolve over the years.  6 friends  from Oxford University  spend a week lazing in a French farmhouse drinking and exploring the countryside. Severine lived next door and disappeared while the students were there.  10 years later her body is found in the well of the farmhouse and are now being questioned again by the police.  With one of the friends dead the other 5 must relive that frivolous week and hope it doesn't destroy the lives they have built.  I like Kate and the life she is now living. She was on the fringe of the group 10 years ago but now seems to be the core holding them together. A very enjoyable mystery that plays out very well.