The Wife Between Us

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2018

Enough twists to keep me interested the whole time. A page turner worth reading. The ending felt like a slight whimper but I liked how throughout the book, especially part 2, changed everything I thought I knew.
This was my first book by Greer Hendricks and will honestly say I was not so sure about this book at the beginning. I don't know if it was her style of writing or the jumping back and forth so much but I felt like I was getting a little bit lost. I kept on going since it was so raved about and I will honestly say that by the time I was a quarter of the way through it started to stick and I wanted to know what was really going on. I will say that this had a quite a few interesting twists happening that kept me going. The ending was something I never saw coming which I have to applaud the authors for pulling off the great surprise. It's definitely worth the read.
This is a hard one to write y'all. I was highly anticipating this book that is out January 9th. *The writing was well done. *The premise was right up my alley. *It kept me reading...all day without stopping.
With all that being said. It did not deliver.
I can't tell you too much (yep, it's one of those books). It is the story of a woman, who is obsessed with her replacement. It's about the replacements inside look at her relationship with her future husband.
I was hooked. I kept reading...it was not a book I wanted to quit. For that alone I am giving it 🌟🌟🌟💫 stars. Why is this not a five star read for me (because it was for some of my most respected #bookstagrammers) ?
I didn't love the ending. It was anticlimactic for me. I will say this. I think if you enjoy thrillers, fast paced reads that turn you upside down...you should read it.
Very interesting and unusual story. Keeps your attention and keeps you wondering.  Recommended. Very unusual subject.
I enjoyed this book very much!  The beginning was a little confusing once everything was tied together but once it clicked what was going on, it was a great read.  I enjoyed all of the characters and was so surprised by all the twists and turns the story took...and there were loads!  The book had a fast pace and was one I did not want to put down.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed this until the epilogue. At the start of each part I started to piece together what I thought was really going on. I second guessed myself a few times on who was actually who. Then the last three chapters happened and it became another suburbia melodrama. I really wish they had expanded on Maureen at the end. It was going great where they were taking her and then it just stopped. Whaaaaaat? That's it? OH C'MON! Totally disappointed and took the 5th star from it because of that. The last few pages were meh.
A thoroughly enjoyable read! I really like the back-and-forth chase aspects of the book. And the reveal at the end of Book One was a complete surprise to me! Read this one in two days -- haven't done that in a very long time!

Has already been recommended to a friend. :)
I enjoyed this book immensely it kept me guessing until the very last page. Every time I thought I had it some little thing would pop up and I really had no idea. It was nice reading a book I didn’t have figured out in the 2nd chapter
It's an entertaining book with a flawless prose. A thriller that will keep people on the edge of their seats.
The cover intrigued me but the plot was so enthralling I kept telling myself one more chapter, just one more chapter...until we’ll past 3 am.  Just when I thought I had it figured out - another twist and turn that had me scrambling to catch up!  Connections here...roadblock...a different connection!  Many times I felt like I was in the room with Nellie, Vanessa, and Emma, wanting to warn them about the conflicted Richard.  Questions continue to linger in my mind about his family life - especially his sister!
Many thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.  If you love a great read that keeps you pondering about the characters after you have finished it you definitely want to read this book!
This psychological thriller will have you zipping through the pages and questioning your assumptions as you try to figure out motives and motivations in this terrific read. What assumptions can we make about love, about marriage, about family, about the past, about the future? How do you protect those you love and protect those in harm’s way?

When you sit down to read The Wife Between Us, have your snack and beverage close at hand already because you will not want to disturb the flow of the story as the tale of wife, ex-wife, fiancée and husband tangle together in a tale filled with twists, turns, obsession and redemption. Will Vanessa, Nellie, Richard and those in their orbit survive or be destroyed?

This writing team is one to watch for!
This novel focuses on an ex-wife that is obsessed with “her replacement,” meaning her husband’s new fiance. Initially, it appears that we are dealing with an unwell ex-wife, Vanessa, that is obsessed with her ex-husband, Richard, and his new, younger fiance named Nellie. Vanessa is painted in a very negative light, whereas, Nellie seems like a ray of sunshine. Slowly, through several “plot twists” and revelations, these characters are seen in a different light, as well as, there is the introduction of a completely different character. I’m not sure how to lay out the plot without spoilers, but this novel is basically about a man moving on with someone new and younger, and the previous wife left behind and how her world crumbles.

Honestly, this book dragged on for me. I can typically knock out a book this size in 2-3 hours. However, I read some of it on Tuesday and then spent a good deal of yesterday trudging through this one. To say that this novel includes an unreliable narrator would be the understatement of the year, but I don’t think it added to the quality of the novel. At times, I felt that Hendricks and Pekkanen’s writing was exquisite, but there were also several times where I was just completely sick of the ongoing, uncomfortable, and unnecessary details.

As promised in the blurb for The Wife Between Us, there are several twists and turns, one of which I did not see coming at all. But for me, these twists and turns confused me to death. I’ve never spent so much time going back to re-read earlier portions of a novel in attempts to figure out what the hell is going on. I continued onward, determined to see this through and figure out everything, but the ending was as disappointing as the rest of the novel. The best way to summarize this one is that it took way too much time and effort to figure things out and when things did begin to make sense, I just didn’t really care.

*Thanks to NetGalley for providing this book in exchange for my honest review!
I enjoyed this thriller that begins with a jealous ex-wife wanting to stop her ex-husband from remarrying. The story is told from the points of view of Vanessa, the ex-wife and the beautiful young fiancé, Nelly.

This is a tough book to review without giving away any spoilers. We know from the beginning that it’s a tale of obsession but there are so many twists and turns that what we think is true changes drastically more than once. We know that Vanessa wants to stop this wedding at all cost. She is desperate to keep Richard from marrying her ‘replacement’ (since the two women are much alike yet Nelly is a younger version of what Vanessa once was.)

But Vanessa’s reasons for wanting this marriage stopped go beyond jealousy and betrayal, and the truth is stranger and more shocking than we could possibly have predicted because in Vanessa and Richard's marriage, it's more about what we think we see than the real truth. It is only through Vanessa's flashbacks that we suddenly come to see that we've been wearing a blindfold.

Though I found Vanessa’s desperation and obsession to be a bit tedious at the beginning of the story, I was drawn into the mystery of trying to figure out what was really going after the first (of several) twists. We think we know everything when we come to the final chapter, the truth about Richard, Vanessa and Nelly. But we don't.  This book is well worth reading for the surprising twists alone.

I want to thank Netgalley, St. Martin's Press and the author for the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was an ok read. It was a little slow to start, with some fairly predictable plot twists (possibly because we were told to "assume nothing" so I assumed anything and everything) and just too many sub plots and side stories, I was getting confused between the characters.

Quite disappointing as the blurb seemed promising, but the unreliable, untrustworthy, alcoholic ex-wife story is a little boring now.
The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen
The official description of this book is meant to be mysterious and intriguing. Instead, it helped me figure out "the big twist" when I was about 2% of the way into the story.

From Goodreads.com:

"When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement.
You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves.
You will assume the first wife was a disaster and that the husband was well rid of her.
You will assume you know the motives, the history, the anatomy of the relationships.
Assume nothing."

So I spent the majority of the book nodding to myself as the evidence mounted up that I was, in fact, correct. True, there were a few more twists toward the end, but I was absolutely correct when I guessed what the big secret was.

You would think that this would ruin the book for me, but it didn't. I actually really enjoyed reading it, perhaps partly because I wanted to vindicate my surmise, but also because it was just plain good.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone would NOT figure this out after reading the description, so I think the publisher should have gone with something else. But judging from the reviews I've seen, an awful lot of people didn't figure it out and were thoroughly shocked.

I found myself telling everyone I knew about this book. I gave multiple recommendations to women who had read The Girl on the Train and/or Gone Girl and liked them. Because that's the genre this falls into. I call it The Girl Who genre. You know what I'm talking about. And it's a genre I like a lot, so it was a relief that this book was so good, despite its transparent plot.

Rating out of 5 stars: 4

I received an advance copy of this book through NetGalley.

The first major plot twist comes just over 100 pages into The Wife Between Us, and at that point I wanted to turn back to the beginning of the book and start over to see which clues I had missed the first time through. I didn’t—though I’ll probably read the book again and will definitely pay more attention to the hints next time. There are at least two more big reveals, and while neither of them brought the shock factor of that first one, co-authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen have done an incredible job of plotting out a complicated jigsaw puzzle of a thriller.

The Wife Between Us is inevitably compared to Gone Girl, and the two books do share certain traits, such as their unreliable narrators, focus on the dynamics of complicated marriages, and elaborate psychological schemes(/scams). But I found Nellie and Vanessa in The Wife Between Us far more sympathetic characters than Amy of Gone Girl, and for that reason I was more invested in seeing the book through to the end. Hendricks and Pekkanen very carefully unravel the story of Nellie, Vanessa, and Richard, the man who unites them, and while there were many points at which I wasn’t sure where the plot was going, I was more than satisfied with where it ended up.

The only misstep, in my opinion, comes at the end, in the book’s epilogue; the small reveal inserted there felt gratuitous, as the authors go one step too far in fitting together the characters’ back stories and the connections among them. That aside, The Wife Between Us is a great thriller that should be on the to-be-read list of any fan of the genre.
When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.

That is all of what I thought. You meet the husband, his sister and who you think he is marrying. About 3/4 of the way in I had an idea who was playing the pranks and there is 1 character in the book that I didn't like and didn't trust. I could not put this down.
A book about an ex wife, her ex and his new fiancee.  Nothing is as it seems and the ending of the boo,k throws you for a loop.  Great read.  I received this from NetGalley at my request.
So twisty and turn-y. The twist in the middle almost turned me off the book because I had no clue what was happening but I stuck with it and it came together quickly and quickly sucked me back in. Great, inventive writing. I wasn't sure how a book written by two authors would work, but I thought the writing was seamless. I've already recommended this to several people!
Sometime before Christmas of last year, I was contacted about coming on board the Blog Tour for The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. While I really wanted to join the blog tour - and really meant to - other blog posts, events, and well, life itself just got in the way.  Nonetheless, because it was such an awesome book, I definitely wanted to post my review as I promised I would.

There are so many plot twists and turns in this story, my head was spinning.  There were even times that I went back and re-read sections of the story just to be sure I read what I thought I read!

There's the ex-wife, Vanessa Thompson, who is obsessively jealous of the "new and improved model" - Richard's girlfriend, Nellie - who mirrors the woman Vanessa used to be.  Vanessa is forced to move in with her Aunt Charlotte and take a job at Saks.  When she inadvertently finds out that Richard plans to remarry, Vanessa begins to spiral out of control.  Her drinking doesn't help either.

Nellie seems like a naïve young girl who is completely enamored with her fiancé, Richard but in truth, dark secrets of her past are lurking as well.  Because this is a thriller, I can't say much more without making this review a spoiler, so suffice it to say that when the publisher's description of this book says "ASSUME NOTHING", it is totally accurate!

The truth is, the authors kept me guessing pretty much from start to finish. The story is well written and fast-paced. Any psychological thriller fans don’t want to miss this one! This story was definitely a great collaboration from Ms. Hendricks and Ms. Pekkanen, who are an exciting new writing duo in the thriller arena! I seriously can't wait for their next release either!! The Wife Between Us is a twisted and thrilling novel touching on the subjects of relationships, marriage, and friendship.