The Chalk Man

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2018

I'm glad I took a chance with this book. It's done really well.

Summary from Goodreads:

"You can feel it in the woods, in the school and in the playground; you can feel it in the houses and at the fairground. You can feel it in most places in the small town of Anderbury . . . the fear that something or someone is watching you.

It began back in 1986, at the fair, on the day of the accident. That was when twelve-year-old Eddie met Mr Halloran - the Chalk Man.

He gave Eddie the idea for the drawings: a way to leave secret messages for his friends and it was fun, until the chalk men led them to a body.

Thirty years later, Ed believes the past is far behind him, until an envelope slips through the letterbox. It contains a stick of chalk, and a...

See Full Review
Really well crafted suspense with so many twits and turns you need some Dramamine!
What a page turner, read this in one sitting as it gripped me in the fist chapter.  Totally surprised at the ending.  Highly recommended to those interested in a good crime mystery.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC of The Chalk Man.

Eddie is a normal 12 year with normal friends in 1986.  But everything changes after a harmless game involving chalk drawings leads them to the scene of a murder.  Flash forward to modern day, Ed lives in the same town, with several of his same friends, when history comes crashing back when an absent friend returns trying to dig up the past.

I enjoyed this ok.  The concept was appealingly creepy, overall the plot was compelling and easy enough to follow.  But the ending was pretty disappointing.
I enjoyed reading this book. Kept my interest .I liked the character development and their interactions.
Let's talk format. This book alternates between chapters set in 1986 and chapters set in 2016. Every single one of them ends with a cliffhanger. This frustrated me to no end because work and exhaustion got int the way of what should have been a one-sitting read. It was creepy and atmospheric and does not feel like a debut novel. Tudor is definitely an author to watch out for.

THE CHALK MAN by C. J. Tudor is the story of a group of friends as they are growing up. When one of them is given colored chalk for his birthday, a teacher tells them how he and his friends left each other secret messages with chalk, so they decide to do the same. One day they all find messages in front of their houses that lead them to the discovery of dead body and their friendship is changed forever. Fast forward twenty years and Eddie, the narrator, thinks that's all behind him when one of his old friends visits and turns up dead. Now Eddie must figure out the past in order to preserve his future. I've heard a lot about this book and really looked forward to it and I...

See Full Review
Even with the tied up ending and unlikable characters, The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor works. The story is told in a manner that is compelling and that keeps me reading. The writing successfully creates a chilling and creepy atmosphere even flipping back and forth between two periods. The true ending of the book leaves a chill and a shiver. Innocent chalk drawings on a sidewalk now carry a whole different meaning.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/03/the-chalk-man.html

Reviewed for NetGalley

This book is a bit difficult for me to review. It was weird for me. I liked it, but didn't love it, which I expected to. There were certain writing techniques used that I'm just not a big fan of. Unfortunately, I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to give anything away, but I'll do my best to explain.

This book has a narrator that you won't particularly like. Yet, you will probably like him more than some or even most of the other characters. Pretty much all of the characters have some significant flaw that plays a part in the story. You are given this information in little dribbles as the story progresses. But basically, there is this...

See Full Review

When you get old and start falling apart, there are changes in your reading habits. When you are young, you have the stamina to stay up all night and read a good book then go to work. I am now at the age where I don’t have to do that! Instead, I spend the lost hours sitting in a doctor’s waiting room reading. I’ve been saving The Chalk Man for just this kind of moment; and I wasn’t disappointed in my decision when the opportunity showed itself this week.

PROLOGUE
The girl’s head rested on a small pile of orange-and-brown leaves. Her almond eyes stared up at the canopy of sycamore, beech and oak, but they didn’t see. . . A short distance away, a pale hand stretched out from its own small...

See Full Review
5 stars for this delicious mix of Psychological Suspense & Horror.  The author’s debut is amazing.
A letdown! The beginning is creepy and atmospheric, but the story largely peters out from there. Given the amount of hype around this book, I was expecting so much more. There was a delicious whiff of Stephen King style horror - dual 1980s/present day timelines, stupid kids doing stupid things that their adult selves had to live with - but there was no magic here. The action crawls along, and I kept expecting something to happen that would engage me, but I felt utterly indifferent towards the characters and the central murder plot, and ultimately, the entire book.
The Chalk Man was one of those books that I kept hearing about from everyone. When I was given the opportunity to read it, I was so excited. Unfortunately, for me, the book did not live up to its hype. The story felt quite slow to me, I had a hard time getting into it since it just seemed to drag along. I just never felt like the writing lived up to the premise.

There is a certain style of UK mystery, and other novels for that matter, that dives deep into the psyche of young men, sometimes gay, often not. The story gets darker and darker until it is more like a fever dream than a realistic story. I have long thought that this kind of writing is in a direct line from from "Lord of the Flies" and some of the better 1960s horror.

"The Chalk Man" is one of these books. Childhood crime leads to adult retribution. Retribution coming from an unknown place, not supernatural, but almost as ghastly in its inexplicable and inexorable progress.

I don't much like these books, no matter how well they are written. This one is a bit...

See Full Review

Four stars: An entertaining, suspenseful, creepy little read.

It is 2016, thirty years since Eddie and his friends followed the chalk stick figures into the woods and uncovered a body. The past comes crawling back when Eddie and his friends receive letters in the mail with a single chalk stick figure. It all seems like a harmless prank, until one of them dies. Is the killer back? Will they be next?
What I Liked:
*The Chalk Man is a thrilling read with a touch of horror. This one isn’t too gruesome or scary so don’t hesitate. It will keep you up past your bedtime because every chapter is a cliffhanger.
*I liked the way the story moved forward and back in time. Each chapter alternates...

See Full Review
3.5 stars.  Solid mystery with some great characters and a good ending.

I love thrillers, and The Chalk Man by debut author C.J. Tudor hit all the right notes for me. I thoroughly enjoyed following Eddie, his friends, and their parents back and forth from 1986 to 2016. This thriller has comedic hits, dark humor, characters who are mostly shades of gray, and a protagonist that is far from perfect. I really enjoyed reading about how 12-year-old Eddie and his 42-year-old self see the world so differently. After witnessing so many tragedies as a youth, the now alcoholic seems to barely be holding it together most of the time, and that can be a big problem since he’s a teacher at his old school.

The Chalk Man starts with young Eddie and his friends discovering a...

See Full Review

This book tells the story of a bunch of 12-year-olds in the 80s and of the same characters 30 years later. Back in 1986, a girl had been found murdered and quite a lot of things had happened that no one really had an explanation for. Now, all those things that had been forgotten - or hushed up - suddenly come back to the surface. Will history repeat itself?

I was quite excited to read this book because the blurb really spoke to me. The concept reminded me a little bit of Stephen King's <i>It</i>, which is by no means a bad thing. It was a quite fast-paced and suspenseful read when things slowly started to unravel. I wanted to give this thriller 3 stars because it was okay...

See Full Review
This book was awesome.  It reminded me a lot of Stand By Me. Loved the friendships. Thanks Netgalley