The Great Alone

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Feb 2018

Surprisingly, this is only the second Kristin Hannah I’ve read. While I enjoyed this it just did not live up to The Nightengale. I did love the descriptions of the Alaskan wilderness and the dangers it presented, but for some reason the characters just did not adhere themselves to me as they did in The Nightengale. I, also, felt that it was too long... the last 20% I found myself starting to scrim. Still a very solid novel and one that I would recommend. 4 stars.
Fabulous book.  Thoroughly loved.  Highly recommend!

Leni Allbright is thirteen years old and has moved five times in the last fours years. Her dad, Ernt, is a former Vietnam POW and her mom, Cora, is a waitress. Ernt suffers from nightmares, can be violent, and has trouble keeping a job. They are continuously on the move to escape Ernt’s demons, their creditors, and to find new work. Ernt receives an unexpected letter from Earl Harlan that will change his life forever. Earl’s son Bo was a very good friend of Ernt who passed away in Vietnam. The letter is to inform Ernt that Bo has left him his land in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. Cora and Leni are very hesitant to make the move to Alaska, but will do anything if it will help Ernt, and he...

See Full Review
This book gets all of the stars.

I have read a couple of other books by Kristin Hannah, and I liked them, they definitely pulled at my heartstrings (especially Winter Garden, I actually bawled uncontrollably for about half an hour while reading that one) but none of them have affected me quite as deeply as The Great Alone.

I'm truly at a loss as to how I can review this one. The parents' story hit really close to home for me. There were pieces of dialogue that I swear I have said or have heard someone say to me. It definitely reinforced in my head that my decisions over the past year have been right for me and my children.
This was a really good read. Kristin Hannah can be relied on to tell a great story. I thought the characters were wonderful and I thought she did a good job in particular with the father. I hated and feared him while still maintaining an understanding of him and feeling empathy for him. The descriptions of life in Alaska were beautiful to read. I was compelled to Google images of Alaska several times throughout the book. I also admired the ending. I wondered how the author would wrap it up and I was pleased that it was a happy ending while still being realistic. This will be an easy book to recommend for 2018.
I had the pleasure of receiving an advanced copy of Kristin Hannah's gripping novel about homesteading in the Alaskan wilderness. I could not put this book down! In this story Hannah paints a vivid setting, keeping the reader on the edge of her toes with a raw look at one family's struggle to survive nature's harshest elements and one another. Told from the point of view of the young daughter, this tale defines the meaning of the term brave. Emotional and suspenseful. I'm a Kristin Hannah fan forever.

The Great Alone
Kristin Hannah

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
PUBLISHER St Martin’s Press
PUBLISHED February 6, 2018

A spellbinding family drama of survival set on the wild and rugged side of the Kenai peninsula of Alaska.

SUMMARY
It’s 1974, gas prices are up, the country had been divided over the Vietnam war, and women had begun to disappear in Washington State without a trace. Leni Allbright, 13, was the new girl at another new school, with no friends other than her dog eared copy of Watership Down. She was worried about her family. Her parent were always fighting, they never had enough money and they moved all the time to get away from creditors. Her dad, Ernt, had been a Vietnam vet...

See Full Review

Kristin Hannah has written numerous bestselling books. Her 2015 release, The Nightingale, reached even new literary heights, and the movie is set to be released this August. If you haven’t read the Nightingale, you need to read it as soon as you can; new books from this year can wait.

This February (on my birthday, in fact, the 6th) her new novel, The Great Alone, will be released. I just finished an advanced readers edition and want to tell you why you should not miss this book; in fact, this book will be in discussion for book of the year eleven months from now (I won’t reveal any spoilers).

Most of The Great Alone takes place in the nineteen-seventies. The book is the story of the...

See Full Review

THIS BOOK! OH MAN! I'm writing this review days after reading this book and this book is still with me. I can't stop thinking about it. It was EPIC! Now, for me, the beginning of this book was a little slow, but it soon picked up the pace and I was lost in Leni's journey. I loved the way Kristin describes Leni's trip from Seattle to Alaska and what she and her family found when they arrived in this new land. I felt like I was there and could picture it so well. I held my breath and watched as Leni grew up in Alaska. Some were great and others had me so mad! Kristin definitely gave me ALL the FEELS in this read and I couldn't pull myself away. This was such a...

See Full Review
Ernt Allbright returns from Vietnam and a stint as a POW a changed man. When he learns that an army buddy who was killed has given him land and a house in Alaska, he moves his family there. His wife and daughter hope that the move is what will help him get away from the memories that have scarred him and changed him.

I very much enjoyed this book. I think it gave a very realistic view of survival in Alaska. It also showed the difficult situation that an abusive relationship is. It is not as black and white as we on the outside think sometimes, especially in the 70's when women did not have as many rights and power. I will highly recommend this to others!

I have read hundreds of books in my lifetime and have many favorite authors, but one of my all time favorite writers of fiction is Kristin Hannah. I can remember the very first book I read of hers, The Things We Do For Love, and I was hooked. Her way of portraying human feelings and emotions just tugged at my heart and left me wanting more. I have read many of her books over the years and I jumped at a chance for an advanced reader copy of her new book soon to be released, The Great Alone, and I was not disappointed. If you are a fan you will love it, or if you have never read any of her works before, do yourself a favor and purchase The Great Alone. The following is a summary of the plot...

See Full Review
The Great Alone, Hannah captures life in Alaska in the 1970s. The Allbrights, Ernt, Cora and Leni, set out for their new adventure in their VW, with little supplies to make it during the harsh winter. Ernt  suffers from PSTD long before it was diagnosed. Cora shield their daughter, Leni from the reality of what is going on but living in close quarters, the truth comes out about her family.
This book really put the reader in the setting of Alaska with all of its beauty and dangers, both physical and psychological. It tells the story of Leni and her codependent parents and their move to Alaska in the 1970's to get away from the crowded lower 48. The long winters exacerbate her father's PTSD and make him more abusive of Leni and her mother. Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy in exchange for his honest review.

Leni’s father has returned from Vietnam and is having trouble adjusting to civilian life after being a POW. They continue to move and try different situations, but nothing seems to work for very long. When Leni is thirteen years old, her father inherits a piece of land in Alaska and he promises this is their last move. He wants to live off the grid and assures Leni and her mother that this is the solution to all of their troubles. But when the first endless night continues, they discover that the nightmares have returned. With the help of the locals, they devise a temporary solution, but are the Allbrights ready to live in the Alaskan wilderness? How will a woman and girl survive with...

See Full Review
An interesting look at many issues such as PTSD, chemical dependency, domestic violence, living in the wilderness, Traumatic Brain Injury, and much more. It’s told through the eyes of the daughter as she grows from 13 years old to 25 years old. Many twists and turns towards the end that keep you turning the pages. Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.

This is the story of a young family, a Vietnam veteran and POW, his dreamer wife, and their practical child Leni. When Leni’s father inherits land up in Alaska, his father views it as a fresh start for the family. Before she knows it, they are on their way to Alaska in their new VW bus.

Leni falls in love with the beauty of their little community and the wonderful people living there, but when the dark winters begin to press in, she sees a change in her father, and not a good one. Was moving here a terrible mistake?

For fans of Kristin Hannah, it’s been a long wait for a new book. After the intense popularity of The Nightingale, the next book was more anticipated. The Great Alone was...

See Full Review
The thing I like the most about Kristin Hannah’s book are the deep character dives and how you get so close to the main characters as you explore their world, story and feelings. This book was no exception. I loved the survival aspects. Growing up my sisters and I called that type of book saving up for winter books. I was so delighted by the description of the general store and was like I feel like I am reading a Laura Ingalls book and then Leni thought the same thing. I loved this book.
Net Galley ARC. Lots of four- and five-star reviews already up, so it might just be me, but I felt this could have been a great book but wasn't. Three stars. The characters felt pigeonholed to me (Dad, the drifter, the Nam vet, the good guy but hard to live with); Leni, the good girl; Mom, the long-suffering, will-do-anything-for-Dad wife. Even Alaska and its harsh nature became a cliche, especially, I think, for those who've lived there. After plodding through the first half--the book is 450 pages and too long--the pace picks up, and it all felt as though Hannah's editors were telling her, Wrap it up.
Wow. What a tale Kristin Hannah has spun. It was so bleak, yet I couldn’t stop reading it. I’ve ordered several copies for my library and am likely to order more as demand is already high. I like that I can recommend this title to so many patrons: readers of drama, history, survival, and women’s lit. The appeal is very widespread! Thank you so much for allowing me to read The Great Alone.