The Wedding Date

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2018

This was a did not finish book for me. While I appreciate the interracial romance, The story seemed more about lust than love and it was difficult to believe that this couple would be together a year from now. .

Towards the end of 2017, Jasmine Guillory’s debut novel The Wedding Date was on several most-anticipated in 2018 lists. So as soon as I got my hands on this book, I was eager to dive in. Once I picked The Wedding Date up and met Alexa and Drew, I couldn’t stop! I ended up bingeing the story in about 12 hours over one weekend and enjoyed it so much. The Wedding Date is romantic, sweet, and so relatable. As we’re having conversations about increasing representation and inclusion in media, Jasmine Guillory is a shining star for the contemporary romance genre! Couples are negotiating interracial relationships everyday, and it’s so refreshing to see this normalized and represented in novels...

See Full Review

I wanted to like this one more than I did. But ultimately it fell short and just left me at “meh”. There were moments when I truly liked it – some cute moments and a few fun scenes. Which is why I’m going with an average 3 stars. But there were a lot of other things that were more like 2 stars, if that.

First, I can’t ignore the elephant in the room: there’s a reason this book’s release wasn’t *totally* celebrated by all of the romance community. The marketing push and buzz was centered all around how this was such a groundbreaking romance – a black author writing a story about a black heroine, oh wow, that’s new! And no shade meant to the author here, or her getting a contract. But that...

See Full Review
Cute, funny, and romantic story. I loved the humor that shines through with the main characters.  Was great to see a biracial romance showcased in a romantic comedy. I liked that the plot didn’t fall into stereotypical formats and was very enjoyable. Loved it, would recommend.
This is one of those books that makes you ask, "why have I never been stuck with a nice guy in an elevator?" Alas, we'll just have to live vicariously through Alexa, I think, in this sweet, funny, and steamy romantic comedy.

Written in alternating perspectives between Drew and Alexa, this novel is full of charming, maddening, and endearing characters and lots of humourous, heart-warming situations that will have you turning pages faster than you can imagine.

The Wedding Date is a fast, light read that will find you sighing, your heart pounding, and your eyes tearing up - sometimes all at the same time.
Great beach read.  Good dialogue in a romantic comedy novel.  Great characterization.
Two intelligent people meet cute in an elevator and give long distance relationship a try. Relatable and emotional story drew me in immediately and I'm looking forward to the author's next book.
I wanted to love this one, but I didn't feel the chemistry between the leads. I wanted more from Carlos and Theo who had more chemistry and connection to Alexa than Drew. I also thought the issues weren't balanced. Why does the woman always have more insecurities than the man? I also found it hard to believe that Alexa and her friends didn't have an issue with Drew being white.

I was looking for a light, fun, romantic romp, and The Wedding Date definitely fit all of these descriptors. I had previously read an excerpt from the novel from BookishFirst, but was not a winner, so I sought out a copy through Netgalley to see what would happen.

I think you have to go into most romance reads with an open mind and a clear expectation of what the work will. With that being said, I loved several theme from The Wedding Date:
-The interracial romance w
-A main character who loved to eat and wasn't insanely thin despite her appetite.
-Intelligent and high-power couple

The story itself is a bit unrealistic and also predictable, but that doesn't detract from...

See Full Review
Review published on NightsAndWeekends.com and aired on Shelf Discovery (see link)

A super sweet romantic comedy, perfect for the start of spring!

I LOVED the opening sequence and the entire set up for the story! Elevators are oddly intimate spaces so I found the whole idea behind the meet cute very compelling and believable. The cheese/crackers and champagne in Alexa's bag immediately made me love her! The POV switches were well timed and quick enough to suck me in. I couldn't put the book down for the first 25% or so until the fake wedding date was over!

I really enjoyed that the relationship was interracial, something I've never read before in a romcom! And I also appreciated that both characters had very demanding, high-power professions, especially...

See Full Review
This title has been chosen for our annual summer reading guide, publishing May 16 2018 on modernmrsdarcy.com

This book has been getting a lot pre-release buzz, and after reading it, I can certainly see why. This book was an absolute delight to read. Sexy, charming, and just so, so sweet.

Alexa and Drew meet when they end up stuck in a hotel elevator. Somehow, by the time the elevator gets moving again, Alexa has agreed to be Drew’s date to his ex’s wedding that weekend. Not just the wedding, but also the rehearsal dinner, since Drew is a groomsman. Yes, he’s a groomsman at the wedding of his ex-girlfriend and one of his best friends. Because of everyone’s history, he knows he’ll be under a spotlight, so he really, really doesn’t want to go alone and manages to charm Alexa into going with him as...

See Full Review
This story was definitely not for me. I'm in the minority though as most readers loves this book.
Super cute! So light and fluffy. Meant for those believe in fairy tales and love at first sight.

The Wedding Date is a quirky fast read I couldn’t put down. A power outage causes Alexa to get stuck in an elevator with Drew on the way to celebrate her sister making partner and the two quickly connect over cheese and crackers because the love of cheese connects us all. Drew reveals he’s there for a wedding only it’s his ex girlfriend marrying one of his friends and his date, another ex girlfriend canceled on him at the last minute. Alexa obviously misses the signs that Drew has some serious commitment issues and when he desperately asks her to be his date she accepts. It isn’t long before she’s his fake girlfriend and protecting him from cutting eyes and the maid of honor, his ex’s older...

See Full Review

Favorite Quote: “Come to the wedding, be my sandwich.”

Alexa Monroe is the chief of staff for the mayor of Berkley. In San Francisco to meet her sister for an impromptu celebration, a power outage traps her in an elevator with the most gorgeous man she’s seen in a long time. Deciding a little harmless flirting never hurt anyone. Alexa sets out to charm this blond Adonis before the power comes back on and they go their separate ways.

Drew Nichols is in town for the weekend for a wedding. His ex girlfriend’s’ wedding. A pediatric surgeon from LA, Drew is not looking forward to the wedding and regrets agreeing to be a groomsman. Meeting the beautiful and vivacious Alexa brightens his day and...

See Full Review
This author has a nice voice and I will read her again, but this book is more interested in being a romantic comedy movie than an actual romance novel*, so the way it uses setup and conventions feels rushed and contrived in a way that simply doesn't work.

*I'm actually not sure if this is supposed to be a romance novel or general fiction with a romance and a HEA. Granted, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those two, but the marketing signaled, to me, that this was not quite genre romance or at least that it was aiming for an audience beyond romance readers.
A delightful rom-com of a novel. I didn't always think the writing was smooth, and I definitely questioned the characters' lack of communication skills at times (though in a rom-com, many things could easily be solved with transparency and honesty...but then you wouldn't have a story, so perhaps it's on genre). I liked that Jasmine was able to realistically work in the topics of race, white (male) privilege, the doubts that crop up in early relationships, and the realities of dating long-distance. It was light but it wasn't "fluffy." Still, I would most recommend this as a vacation/beach read.

Alexa and Drew meet in an unconventional way when they find themselves stuck in an elevator together. As they begin chatting Drew reveals that he is in town for his ex-girlfriends wedding...and he's dateless. On impulse Drew decides to ask Alexa to be his fake girlfriend for the weekend and Alexa agrees to it. What starts out as a fake relationship blossoms into a real relationship as they both learn how to maneuver long-distance dating and figuring out if they can make it last. This book was such a quick, cute & charming read! I couldn't believe this was her debut book. Her writing was wonderful and she did a great job at developing the characters and making you *feel* what...