The Toddler Survival Guide

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Sep 2017

This title was archived before I could download it, and is no longer available for review, but as a mom of two toddlers, I can relate to the topic of this book and look forward to reading it when it comes available.
I found this shortly after I requested James Breakwell’s parental survival guide during the zombie apocalypse. Overall, it was enjoyable, and I appreciated the tips, but at the same time, I also felt it didn’t stand out exceptionally compared to other parenting guides. I found myself skimming through some chapters because the material didn’t catch my interest as much as I hoped it would.
Note: This e-ARC was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. But thank you Quarto Publishing Group / Voyageur Press!!!

If you are the parent of a toddler (and even if you only visit the home of one of these families occasionally), I'm sure you know very well that your everyday life differs greatly from the romantic vision that you had in your mind when you, along with your partner, decided to introduce a new member to your family. The first steps, the struggle with food or sleeping time, unsuccessful attempts at maintaining a social life, and various mischief are just part of the deal you take in the bundle with a small person who has come into your life.

How challenging it can be to live with a toddler is very well known to Mike and Heather Spohr, the parents of three children and authors of the fun...

See Full Review
Funny and entertaining and made a pleasant change from the crime and thrillers I generally r ad

I really enjoyed this smarmy title from authors who CLEARLY have, or have dealt with the joys of an infant developing into a psychopa-er-toddler. As a mother of a 17 month old myself, when I finally got a breath, wiped the puke and smashed banana from my shirt, removed the lego embedded in my foot and clicked off Paw Patrol for the first time in 16 god forsaken hours, it was a treat to be able to enjoy my cold coffee from 12 hours earlier and the surviving bite of a granola bar while I read that someone similar is going through the same hell....er....ordeal(?)....adventure(?). The advice was sound and simple with a twist of sarcasm and heaps of humor and anecdotes. I have a few friends...

See Full Review

I was given a copy of this book by NetGally for an honest review.
Author: Mike & Heather Spohr
Publisher: Quarto Publishing Group – Voyageur Press

One of the genres I don't realy enjoy reading is the guides about raising children. "How to train your baby to sleep through the night" or "How to survive the first year"... The reason I don't like these books ia that they "inhabit" a parallel universe, wher parents are always well rested and armed with infinent amounts of patience and the kids are cooperative and responsive.

This book however, seemed different... The comparison between toddlers and zombies sounded like an interesting idea (even...

See Full Review
As a parent DEEP into the toddler years, this book was perfect!

Basically written much like a zombie survival guide, THE TODDLER SURVIVAL GUIDE is meant to amuse while showing parents how to basically toddler proof their lives. Helpful reminders about needing to step up the baby proofing because toddlers can and will climb EVERYTHING are sprinkled throughout the humor, etc.

As a non-parent surrounded by the parents of toddlers (and a few almost toddlers), the book made me laugh until I almost peed my pants, thinking of the horror stories they tell. It's like a built in birth control book, as if my friends' stories were not that enough already.

The book would be a great present for those parents who need to be reminded their struggles are...

See Full Review
This is a great and funny look on parenting a toddler! Anyone who has been through it will laugh and say how true to themselves! Raising kids is hard and sometimes leaves you on the fine line  of crying or laughing so you don't cry! This book has so much truth in it and some helpful hints. Dealing with my second toddler now I truly appreciated this book!!
This was funny. As a mother of a toddler it was pretty accurate in a lot of ways too. If not trying too hard.

The toddler survival guide was a humorous read for me (especially because I am currently in the toddler stage with my eldest and my youngest is not far behind). I found myself both laughing, and being horrified, but in all honesty there is so much TRUTH in this book. Toddler parents to-be really should read this so that they know what they are getting themselves into. Toddlerhood is NOT, I repeat, NOT like infancy! Its a whole new ballgame.

The Spohrs touch on real life problems that non-parents would not even know exists unless witnessed first hand. Humor was brought to situations that when knee-deep in it is not humorous in the slightest, but it is when looking back at the toddler...

See Full Review

This book would be a fun gift for any new parent or one who is about to hit the toddler stage with their little ones. It's fun, it's informative, and it's sadly honest! Within the first couple of pages, I found myself nodding and chuckling along as I realize the brutally painful similarities that I am currently encountering with my little one.

Now, keep in mind this book is not meant to be completely serious, rather it is a book that offers up some real advice while poking fun at the very normal struggles that parents have with their toddlers. We are not alone! Messy hands, clumsiness, difficulty communicating, testing boundaries, and relentless demands for "The Elmo...

See Full Review

This was a unique way to give parenting advice. As a parent of 3 boys, that were all toddlers back to back, I could totally relate to this book. It made me laugh out loud at the circumstances that come up. Especially the part about your house; we lost 3 flat screen tvs to our toddlers. I think this would be a good gift for a dad or good humored mom of a 6 month old. I liked how they gave REAL LIFE parenting advice, along with hilarious illustrations, on what to expect. On second thought, because this book is so real, I don't know if this is best to give to a new parent, they may be fearful of what's to come (they should be!) or to give it to a parent that just survived the...

See Full Review

I'm not yet a parent/mother so I still cannot relate on how to take care of a child or a toddler. But based from my cousins and friends stories, taking care of a kid is really a HUGE responsibility and takes a lot of time. Imagine running around just to make sure that the child will not get hurt and to be attentive always on the kid's whereabouts and actions. I'm not an athletic neither an active person so dealing with kids, as of the moment, is really not in my agenda.

Reading this book is not only entertaining because of how funny the authors wrote the given situations & advice; but also it really is a BIG help for parents or older siblings with toddlers at home. I...

See Full Review
As the parent of a toddler that is slowly morphing into a preschooler. The book takes a humorous approach to the transition to sweet cooing baby-dom to zombie (their words) toddler-dom. I chuckled out loud as I read and looked at the completely accurate illustrations of what life is like with a toddler. On a serious note the title offers fool proof strategies on protecting your cellphone, tips on keeping hairstyles simple (though I would have added there for children with ethnic hair protective styles that can last a few days-braids), and how to change diapers on a plane. Overall this book is funny but also practical in its application of advice.
I would like to thank the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
It is decades since I had toddlers of my own to deal with but I still found this a witty and entertaining look at surviving the toddler years. It has lots of advice to impart to parents while still trying to point out the humour wherever possible. Well worth giving as a gift to parents with toddler Apocalypse approaching!
I didn't care for the format of this book but I thought parts of it were very funny.
While I'm not a parent and don't plan on being one any time soon, I couldn't help but compare this to  James Breakwell's book on how to fight zombies with toddlers! This book is funny, and actually seems to have sound parenting advice. Some of the advice is common sense, but works well in the wacky situations the author presents. The images were my FAVORITE part - they absolutely made the book for me.
I thought this might be a little amusing but maybe it's an age thing but I didn't enjoy this book at all . I didn't finish it.
This seemed like the perfect little book for me. A book based on the Zombie Survival book only now with Toddlers instead of zombies? Sure, sign me up.

I don't have kids myself, but I worked at daycentres/daycare/etc. before, plus done babysitting, so generally I quite like these books. Often agreeing with the writers and finding recognisable parts. Sadly, this one turned out to be a dud. I got to 20% before I just had to give up. It just tried too hard to be funny, and well, aside from a few chuckles, I wasn't really laughing much.

The illustrations were a nice touch, those made me chuckle the most.

But yeah, not my book. So I have to give this one up. :(