Force of Nature

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Feb 2018

No sophomore slump here! This was a fast paced book that keeps you guessing! I loved it.
Thank you, Netgalley, for this arc.

Still just an "okay" mystery, bordering on the "alright" ... I couldn't help but expect more from the author and her second Aaron Falk book. However, I'm intrigued by Aaron and how layers keep unfolding and unfolding back and in this novel we learned more about his relationship with his dad. There are, of course, allusions to the previous mystery, "The Dry," but "Force of Nature" works well as a standalone.
Five women go on a hike for a corporate retreat in the Australian bush but only four return. The story shifts between the search for the lost woman and the challenges the group of women faced during their ordeal. Incredibly descriptive and well written, I felt the frustration of the searchers and the despair of the women while they fought for their lives in the rugged terrain. Jane Harper's vivid portrayal of how quickly people revert to their more primal instincts when their lives are on the line is riveting and truthful. I found it very hard to put this book down!

4.5 stars.

Force of Nature is a perplexing mystery about a woman who disappears during a corporate team-building exercise in the Australian bushland. This second installment in the Aaron Falk series is a sharp contrast to the first novel, The Dry, but this newest release from Jane Harper is equally compelling.

Jill and Daniel Bailey, siblings and co-owners of the BaileyTennants Accounting firm, are among the group of employees who are on a team-building adventure in the Giralong Ranges. At the end of the retreat, all of the men safely return, but one of the women, Alice Russell, is missing after their group becomes lost during the hike. The police have a rather garbled account of what...

See Full Review

This is billed as a psychological suspense novel, but I think it is more of a character study with suspense as a side dish. It's also second in a series about Detective Aaron Falk. Falk is a likable character, and clearly underwent some trauma in Book 1 (I have not read it and intend to). He is called in to investigate the disappearance of a woman during a corporate retreat at an Australian park. The retreat consisted of several days of hiking and camping, team building, etc. We slowly learn about the other women and get their different points of view as the story is told by shifting back and forth between the past events leading up to the disappearance of Alice and the present day...

See Full Review
I LOVED The Dry last year, and this is another well-written, multilayered mystery from Harper. There were many ways the story could have gone, and I did not predict the ending.
Harper does it again with a twisty, compelling story which skyrockets out of category.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Five women go into the Gilagang national forest on a team building retreat but only four come out. What happened? Australian federal agent Aaron Faulk needs to find out because the missing woman was his informant.

Hard to put this one down.

A thriller that engulfs relationships between family, friends, colleagues; while examining the trust needed to ensure that grudges & lack of forgiveness don't erode it all away.
Friends for life with Girls Night Out right however in this case we have two groups(male v female coworkers from Bailey Tennant aka Boutique Accounting Firm) going for a corporate retreat or more like a long hike in the vast remote wilderness known as the Giralang Ranges. Five go in but one never comes out with each telling a different version of what happened .
It's up to Federal Agent Aaron Falk to dig deep into the betrayal , lies, jealousies to uncover the truth. Was it really murder and if so...

See Full Review

I really enjoyed Jane Harpers debut mystery, The Dry, and have selected it for an upcoming book discussion. I was excited to see a new novel by this adept writer, also set in Australia and featuring Aaron Faulk. While the story was interesting, the novel did not have the same atmospheric tension and character development of Harper’s first novel. I found the story line and conclusion a bit predictable and there wasn’t much additional insight into Faulks character in this one. The hint of attraction between him and his partner was frankly far too predictable. I felt the women on the hiking trip were not well developed characters and didn’t really care about any of them, or the daughters...

See Full Review
I really loved this book...finished it last night and this morning I have separation anxiety!
Excellent writing with great character development and story. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Jane Harper is SOLID. Her first book, The Dry, was a memorable, well-crafted mystery. Force of Nature, her second book, also featuring Australian federal agent Aaron Falk, stands on its own as another excellent mystery.
One of the things that the author really excels at is creating atmosphere. Force of Nature takes place largely in rural Australia, and the sense of isolation and danger present in this area is palpable. The tension simmers throughout this book, and the author dives deep into group and individual mentalities when faced with great and potentially life-threatening challenges. There are a great deal of characters in this book, and the author did a fairly good job developing...

*3.5 stars

I loved THE DRY and was very excited to read this next installment continuing the investigations of Federal Agent Aaron Falk. While FORCE OF NATURE does not quite possess as compelling of a storyline as the first book, it is nicely paced and has interesting, well-drawn characters. I loved Harper's technique of switching the chapters between past and present, with shorter chapters leading up to the climax that helped to build the excitement and tension. There was a nice twist towards the end that I appreciated as well. Overall, a very enjoyable read that I devoured in two sittings.

Thank you Netgalley to an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Forces of Nature took the Aaron Falk series up a notch! Ten people go on a bonding retreat through work, five women and five men. The men complete the hiking course...but only four women come out of the bush. Aaron Falk and his partner are drawn into the search. The missing woman was helping them and now their investigation is at stake. A serial killers child is responsible...or someone else? The answer may surprise you.

This novel can stand alone, but it did help me to read "The Dry" previous to reading "Force of Nature." It gave me insight into Aaron Falk's character.

I really like books about survival and getting lost in the woods, so the premise of this one hooked me:

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path.

But one of the women doesn’t come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened.

Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the...

See Full Review

I really enjoyed Jane Harper's first book (The Dry) and was eager to read this when the Advanced Reader Copy became available. I found this title just as enjoyable and just as much of a page turner as the first book about Aaron Falk, a financial crimes police investigator from Australia). He is in a different remote part of the country in this title, after a witness assisting the police investigation of a money laundering firm goes missing on a company retreat. She and four coworkers fail to return on time from a 3 night hike in the bush. When her co-workers return a few hours late, they seem shocked that Alice did not preceed them to the meet up point. The novel alternates...

See Full Review
4.5 stars! I loved The Dry, and I was delighted that there would be a second book about Aaron Falk. While I don't care that much about his character, I love that Harper continues with the atmospheric mysteries set in the Australian bush and outback, an environment that feels so excitingly different and exotic to me. The scenery comes alive in Harper's books, and I hope she will take us on more adventures down under.

First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Jane Harper, and Flatiron Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

After devouring Jane Harper’s debut novel, I could not wait to get my hands on this sequel, which pulls Aaron Falk back into the mix. A member of the Australian Federal Police’s Finance Division, Aaron Falk is knee-deep in a case that could have many important implications. One of his sources calls him in the middle of the night and leaves a garbled voicemail, with ‘hurt her’ as the only decipherable message. It is then that Falk realises that his source, Alice Russell, has been on a team-building...

See Full Review

Five women on a corporate team building exercise head out into the Aussie bush. Only four come back. Alice Russell didn't make it out of the wilderness of the Giralang Range. Force of Nature by Jane Harper leads us on an expedition of our own to discover how a corporate retreat went horribly wrong and what happened to Alice.
Federal agent Aaron Falk of the Melbourne Financial Investigations Unit along with his colleague, Carmen Cooper, investigate corruption and money laundering within the private company, Bailey Tennants. Alice Russell, positioned to be privy to the company's rotten dealings, disappears during a corporate team building retreat. Falk is alarmed, because he...

See Full Review

Five women from the same company go on a team building event in Australia’s Giralang Ranges. It is basically a multi-night backpacking expedition with supply and food caches left for them along the way. But something goes terribly wrong and the women don’t show up at the end of the trail when they’re supposed to. When they do show up many hours later there are only four of them and they are in rough shape.

As the search for Alice - the fifth woman – begins Federal Agent Aaron Falk gets involved. He and his partner Carmen interview the four women and try to figure out what happened. Alternating chapters go back to tell the story of the women’s time in the wilderness and what happened while...