Force of Nature

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Feb 2018

Force of Nature is Jane Harper’s second novel and again features federal agent Aaron Falk. Taking place in a wilderness area in Australia, five women hike into the woods as part of a corporate retreat. Several days later only four reappear. Aaron Falk has a particular interest in the missing hiker, who has been a confidential informant for him in regard to financial crimes that have occurred in the corporation where she works. It’s apparent that there are more than several secrets that various members of the retreat are trying to hide.

This book is a strong follow-up to Harper’s debut novel, The Dry. It is a character-driven book with rich dialogue and descriptions. It alternates...

See Full Review
Really loved this mystery - fans of the first in the series will be pleased!  Though really, I don't think it's necessary to have read the first to enjoy the second.  Aside from the main character, there aren't any other overlapping people between the two that I can remember.  This book has you convinced throughout that everyone is guilty, then turns you to thinking no one is guilty, then brings you back around.
So freaking good!  Jane Harper is a rockstar when it comes to mysteries and I cannot wait to read what else she comes out with!

The employees of Bailey Tennants are sent out to on a corporate retreat that takes them into the Austrailian bushland. The men set off in one group and the women go off in another group. The weekend is a challenging one but something has gone terribly awry when the women's group finally returns to the lodge, but missing one of their members. Federal Agent Aaron Falk and his colleague, Carmen, are called in to help the search because they have been investigating Bailey Tennants and the night before Alice had called him. Now she is missing. Each of the remaining women tells their own version of the weekend's events and each of them tells a different version of events. One of...

See Full Review
Great book. I enjoyed it and I will post a good review soon..

I wish I could be a character within Jane Harper’s stories because I am so in love with Aaron Falk. *Insert: Eye Heart Emoji*

Force of Nature was a read as a buddy ready with my girl Megan over at Coffee By the Novel. We also read The Dry together when it first came out. .

Looking back at reading The Dry, we loved it. Everything about it had us completely captured. I felt the same way with Force of Nature. Looking at the two novels, they do go together in developing Falk’s character but could be read as stand alones. I do not suggest this however. I love getting to know a characters full background before jumping ahead.

The ending was perfectly twisted in it’s own way separated from the...

See Full Review
I struggled to get into this book. I felt such a connection to Jane Harper's first novel, which made me eager to read this next one. It may not have been a good time for me to read it, but I just didn't feel much of a connection to this novel. I may need to give it another chance at a later date, I think Harper's writing style and premise are worth the read.
I really enjoyed The Dry  by Jane Harper, and was concerned this second book wouldn't live up to my expectations.  But I loved this book as well and am looking forward to the next one.  Harper's writing is excellent.  She is great at creating the place, creating the atmosphere.  This book is creepy.  She describes the characters so that I feel I understand them.  They make sense, their actions and motivations make sense.  Aaron Falk's character is wonderful.  Since he was so personally involved in the first book, I was worried that I wouldn't like him as much in a "regular" mystery, but I did.

Long-buried secrets and tiny clues ultimately wash clean with the rain during a missing person mystery set in Australia’s remote (fictional) Giralang Ranges. Federal Police Agents Carmen Cooper and Aaron Falk are called into the wilderness to find Alice, who has gone missing during a corporate retreat. Alice is the Federal Police’s confidential informant for an ongoing financial investigation of BaileyTennants, the company on retreat.

While corporate retreats are designed to move people out of their comfort zones, the characters here stumble through a series of increasingly complicated situations. Each of the five women gone walkabout carries emotional baggage and unresolved rivalries...

The following review appeared on my blog (www.blogginboutbooks.com) on 3.23.18:

Note: While this review will not contain spoilers for Force of Nature, it may inadvertently reveal plot surprises from its predecessor, The Dry. As always, I recommend reading books in a series in order.

No one at BaileyTennants is excited about spending the weekend team-building in the backwoods of the Giralang Ranges. Too bad they don't have a choice. If they want to keep their jobs, they'll have to suck it up and suffer through it without complaint.

Separated from the men's team, five female co-workers enter the forest with little guidance as to how to rough it out in the wild. With...

Hmm.

I *loved* The Dry. I'd barely finished the book when my mother absconded with it, and now it's making the rounds of her friends. The Dry was well-paced and atmospheric--I felt I was right there along with Falk, itching to get out of that creepy little town, but compelled to stay for some answers, too.

Force of Nature is good, too... but not quite on the same plane.
I liked the setting as it was an original concept with the group of woman in the wilderness on a corporate retreat.  The story being told between the present and the past kept the pace moving.  I really like the Aaron Falk character and look forward to more of his story.

The follow up to Jane Harper’s Force of Nature is just as good as you would expect given her excellent debut.

She is a master of creating a setting with a presence as strong as that of any character’s. While The Dry was set in an oppressive heatwave in a too-empty expanse of flat land, Force of Nature thrusts Aaron Falk and his new partner, Carmen, into an equally oppressive setting, this time the dense woods of the Giralang Ranges. In the trees are murmurs at the edge of sanity, where suspects, victims, and investigators alike are haunted by their emotions, secrets, and pasts.

I can’t wait to see what Harper has up her sleeve next. In the dense forest of mystery writers, Harper is a...

See Full Review

FORCE OF NATURE by Jane Harper is exactly the type of thriller I love to read. Full of wilderness survival and the heightened tension caused by the situation, this book is an exciting foray into a modern whodunit.

Two groups set off on an organized hike through the bushland of the Giralang Ranges in Australia. The women and men are separated for this corporate group challenge. It’s supposed to be a team-building exercise to improve their working environment. When one of the women goes missing, is anyone safe? Federal Agent Aaron Falk and his partner Carmen Cooper join the investigation when they realize the missing woman is their informant for another crime.

Falk and his partner aren’t...

See Full Review
Imagine having to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness...now imagine one of your teammates not coming back.  Jane Harper crafts suspenseful stories so well.  This is a great book to follow up her blockbuster, The Dry.

Whenever someone at work describes after-work team building exercises, I cringe, rightfully so, but Jane Harper made them even more cringe-worthy in her latest mystery, Force of Nature.

Five female colleagues, on a corporate weekend retreat, go into a remote wilderness on a hiking adventure, but only four return. Agent Aaron Falk is called in on the case, and he quickly discovers that each of the remaining four has a slightly different story about fights they got into, how they got lost, and what happened to their missing colleague.

Told in alternating chapters between Agent Falk’s investigation and what happened at different times on their retreat, Force of Nature is my kind of mystery...

See Full Review

Author Jane Harper excels at creating an atmospheric setting that drives a tale forward. Often the tale the reader is following is not quite the one the author is telling; that is the beauty of her work. In this, her second work, she once again performs the magical work of dangling a story in front of our eyes, only to pull another one, or two, out later. It is literary magic and a joy to read. While our investigator, Aaron Falk, has appeared before, I was slow to remember him. Although I loved the previous book. My attention was riveted upon the mystery at hand and the investigators were less interesting. Frankly, that’s a nice change from all the books that focus the other way...

Book Review: Force of Nature (Aaron Falk #2) by Jane Harper

5 Stars.

This was much better than Jane Harper’s previous novel The Dry. Whatever was wrong with The Dry, this book got it right.

Five women go on a hike. Only four of them return!!

BaileyTennants is an accounting firm based out of Melbourne. They organize a corporate retreat, where as a part of “team building activity” they go on a hike to Giralang Ranges. One of the women Alice Russell goes missing during the hike. Alice Russell is an informant in one of the money laundering cases handled by Federal Agent Falk & his partner Carmen. On the night she went missing, Aaron Falk receives a voicemail from her. He couldn’t hear...

See Full Review
Always love Jane Harper. Just as good as The Dry. This will be one of our book options for August.
I really liked The Dry, so I was thrilled to see this available for request on NetGalley. Harper's sophomore effort doesn't disappoint, as it twists and turns and never goes quite where you expect.