Falsies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Nov 2017

First off: Trigger Warning needed for depression and cutting

This book had a very addictive quality to it that I love within new adult novels. I loved the concept of the novel from the synopsis, but it took a different turn within the novel. There were a multitude of characters that were pretty awful in their actions and their words. Seriously hated two of them... like an abundant amount. I won't go into detail because spoilers, but a lot happens and one of the characters I disliked showed up often within the novel. I also was not the biggest fan of Ollie's (the main character's) decisions. Especially towards the end. I just wanted to go up to her and shake her while telling her how irrational her idea was.

I was really disappointed in the whole scene before the ending. I think I'm mostly shocked that the possibility of that happening could be real? I'm not positive, but I know I didn't like it. The novel moved really fasted paced, as did the characters. I don't think it's normal or realistic the amount of effort or speediness that one character showed. It was awkward to  read those parts because I found myself saying, "there is no way this could ever happen because how the heck would something that large even be delivered that soon?" and "how is she not more freaked out by this?".

Would I give Olive East a second chance? I think so. I had no issues with the writing, I even really enjoyed it, but I disliked parts of the plot. Her next novel might suit my reading tastes a little better.
I wrote notes for this book after reading it. The first note I made?

A bit meh.

That pretty sums up my feelings while reading this book. I didn't love the characters, I didn't become invested and start rooting for the romance or revenge.

The main thing I came away with after reading this book was asking what the hell that so called friendship was. Ollie didn't grow throughout the book, she never tried to better herself, her relationships with her family in friends. She became a pretty stagnant character that didn't go anywhere. She put up with a lot, and because of that became annoying.

I didn't like Sadie or Aaron, her best friend and ex. While Sadie had more redeeming qualities that Aaron, she still wasn't a nice character. Thankfully there was Brooks. He was the saving grace for this otherwise below average novel. I really liked his character, although who knows why he put up with Ollie.

I was pretty content with the book being 'meh'. And then I read the end. It was tacky and cheap, and really ruined the book for me. The revenge was awful and a bad end to the book.

The premise held promise, but unfortunately the did not deliver.
I really, really, really had high hopes for this book and this is likely a case of it's me, not you. The blurb for Falsies was incredible, giving me hope that this book would be romantic and dramatic. I love a book about a hurting heroine who finds her way to happiness, whether she finds a man along the way or not. This wasn't that kind of story, unfortunately. Falsies has promise, it just needed a lot more fleshing out. It felt rushed and underdeveloped, leaving many holes in the story that easily could have filled it. I really wanted this book to work out, I kept reading in hopes for more, but the end left me even more flabbergasted. I am not a fan of any character choosing to be the OW in this way. It's obvious from this books ratings that some people like it, but it wasn't for me unfortunately.
I really enjoyed this story, especially the evolution from start to finish of self confidence.
I had to DNF this book.

I am looking for new concepts in my New Adult books and this was same old same old! sorry!
I flew through this book and I loved every word. The slow-building romance in the beginning leading into a full-fledged love story later on makes this book solid gold.

I loved this book. It was DIFFERENT.
This book was a roller-coaster ride filled with emotion. Ollie is such an intense character and through out the entire book, I just wanted her to find happiness.
I truly was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
* I won this book off of Netgalley for my honest opinion*

I want to give this book 4.5 stars because I just loved it. It was a sad book but yep uplifting at the same time. If you have ever read Taryn Fisher, it had her feel to it. Devastating but captivating. You want to yell at Ollie but you understand her at the same time.

Brooks, oh Brooks. He made the list for another book boyfriend. He was perfect for Ollie without even knowing exactly why. He just got her - and it was lovely.

Sadie and Aaron - you can just go shove it.

Pick this book up!

Ollie, our main character, is a pretty girl with low self esteem and an issue with self-destruction. She has unreliable friends in Sadie and Aaron, her ex, and a man-of-your-dreams type of relationship with Brooks. She doesn't find true joy in anything, always waiting for the other shoe to drop, and when things are working out right she seeks ways to destroy it. At first, I liked Ollie, I had huge hopes for her character development, as this type of story really lends itself to growth. Over time though, she became annoying. She never tried to find ways to better herself, to better her relationship with friends and her family, she just kind of put up with it. She came across as lazy, uninterested in others, and fairly selfish. Sadie has a promising story, the girl obviously wants the fairy tale and is willing to do anything, but their friendship never allows for the deep stuff to come out. Aaron is a tool, one I could never find anything good in. The saving grace of this story, though, is Brooks. He's kind, he's handsome, he's a bit of a nerd, and he's the most forgiving man on the face of the planet. Their relationship is so strange, yet somehow he makes it work and somehow he loves her through it all.

Falsies has promise, it just needed a lot more fleshing out. It felt rushed and underdeveloped, leaving many holes in the story that easily could have filled it. I really wanted this book to work out, I kept reading in hopes for more, but the end left me even more flabbergasted. It's obvious from this books ratings that some people like it, but it wasn't for me unfortunately.
This book had so much potential to be amazing, but for me it just fell short. The female MC was so complicated, and had such a tragic back story that I should have loved her, empathized with her, cried with her, but really all she did was infuriate the hell out of me. She made stupid decisions on what seemed like a whim, and instead of the story really pulling me into her dark and painful world, it just jumped from place to place as she haphazardly kept screwing everything up. This book for me feels like one huge missed opportunity for the author. The foundation is there for a really amazing and gutsy story, but the execution was lacking. Whatever it is that I needed for that "connection" to the characters and the story was missing.
First, I must say that this book was beautifully writing and that Olive East is a phenomenal author. However, this book just wasn't my cup of tea. I had a hard time connecting with the main character, Ollie, finding her annoying and extremely self-destructive. I had hoped Brooks' character had been more developed. I felt like his character was lacking and found it hard to root for him.

The antagonists, Sadie and Aaron got on my nerves from the very beginning and I could not understand why Ollie would surround herself with such horrible people.

I had hope for a bit more depth to the story, however most of the book consisted of Ollie moping and trying to destroy the first good thing in her life since her dad's death. After awhile it simply got old and I was tired of reading her depressing and self-destructive thoughts.

The cover and description of this book is what truly drew me to the book, however I can't say I would recommend this book. It was definitely a struggle for me to finish. :(
i dnf this book at about 15% i tried picking it back up countless times and i just couldn't do it

this is a BIG case of its me not you
This is a real emotional rollercoaster of a book, really well paced read that keeps you engrossed right to the end.
Cant wait for book 2! :-)
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

I need to point out that I never, ever judge a book by its cover, but this one has to be one of my favorites! Falsies is the first book in The Makeup Series by Olive East, and it completely blew me away!

Ollie is used to being hurt and abandoned. So even though the hot veterinary student, Brooks can make her smile, she pushes him away to save herself from more hurt. When her ex wants her back, even after he betrayed her, she finds herself willing to try. They aren’t good together and she knows this, but she wants to bring back some of her happier times. Ollie pushes away one man and clings to another, but which is the right one for her?

"I belonged with him about as much as mermaids belonged in Pittsburgh."

From the start I could tell that this was a story that would go deeper than the pages and characters. There are a lot of things that I could point out that caught my attention, but most definitely the depth of the main character, Ollie and how she slowly reveals why she is the way she is. She's emotional, very much so and you can just feel her emotions and anxiety as if it is your own. We are Ollie's shadow throughout her meeting of Brooks and her thoughts on everything she experiences. I could feel Ollie's hurt whenever she was hurt. She didn't always deserve it but it's hard not to want to crawl into a ball and cry out the pain with her. We all know the monster that is self-doubt and how it can eat at you. This particularly connected with me as I am also a self-induced victim of self-doubt. But things get better. Things always get better.

Brooks is sweet, kind and exactly what you would want a veterinary student to be. He can cook and always has a smile on his face, which is enough to make any girl happy. If you read through to the end you will see he is more than perfect. And then you have the secondary characters. Sadie is your typical BFF. Except when she isn't. And Aaron, well Aaron will surprise you.

Without hesitation I can honestly say that I loved it from chapter one. I cannot point out anything about this book that I didn't like. I enjoyed every minute. One thing I truly loved was that you learn a few things about yourself while reading Ollie’s story. You realize some things are never as bad as they seem. Some things are also never as good as they appear, either. The characters development pushes the story into directions you do not expect. This book draws you in and makes you think. Its honest and amazing and emotional and perfect. It's truly different from anything I've read and I'm without a doubt recommending it to everyone I can possibly think of (and everyone else). This book, hands down, deserves FIVE Ollie No-Middle-Name Oxmend stars!
When I came across this book. I thought it was interesting, the cover and the general idea. But it was a lot different, then what I thought it would be like.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Ollie, she seemed a bit confused and unsure about her life. Her best friend is marrying her ex and then she meets this guy randomly across the street. Her relationship with Brooks, I didn’t feel that pull. I didn’t have an emotional connection with the characters. Which, if you’ve read my reviews before, is super important.

With Ollie hiding behind her makeup and then taking it off. It’s the real her, only happened a couple of times and some reason it was just the fake eyelashes. I just really didn’t connect with this story. East does have a good writing style. Based on the info I gathered, this is her first book. So she does have room to grow. It will be interesting to see where else this series goes.

Overall, I give this Two Boundless Stars.
I loved this book. It was DIFFERENT.

I ran a gamut of emotions in this book. I truly was falling in love with Ollie. I was mad at Ollie. I was on the verge of crying because of her.

I truly was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

I will be watching for future releases by this author (and would gladly read ARCS *hint hint*).
Hooked me in from the start. Very enjoyable read. Slow building romance told at a great pace to hold your interest. Full of angst - which I love. 4/5
I loved this story! It had everything needed to keep me invested, and begging for the story to never end. I want more!
This book was a rollercoaster ride filled with emotion. Ollie is such an intense character and throughout the entire book, I just wanted her to find happiness. It has love, lust and shows the struggles of mental illness. This book is a must read. Thank you NetGalley & the publisher for sending me a copy to review!
As much as I wanted to love this book, I didn't. Started out good but by midway I was bored. I finished it but, not my type of story. Gave it three stars for the potential it had to be amazing. Just fell flat.
I really enjoyed the story line itself, but a lot of times, I found myself confused and having to go back and read a few paragraphs again. I loved Ollies character and her story. I also loved the use so ASL between her and Aaron. I didn't like how things ended with Aaron or Sadie. I they they should of had some kind of closure ? After what happened it just seemed unfinished. And creepy Alan 🙈

The book has a lot of side stories with the characters that definitely could turn into more or other books possibly. The characters have a lot going on.

Brooks- absolutely love. Perfect book boyfriend. ;) and you could definitely tell he loved Ollie. And ollie loved him! Overall, the book has so much potential, and seeing as it is book 1, I'm excited to see what's in store for book 2!