Unstoppable

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Sep 2019

I surprised myself at really enjoying this book - following the whole drugs related press surrounding Sharapova I was fully prepared to not enjoy this but I found the history of her career really interesting, particularly her early career when she came to the US from Russia and her family's early struggles. A great story of determination.
I was expecting to really like this book but I was actually very disappointed.  Sadly I just got bored with it ....
Honest account of her struggles and successes so far, but I found the over-use of profanity somewhat distracting and didn’t finish it in the end.
This book is easy to read, the more I read the more I wanted to know what happened next.  From that point of view, it is an excellent book.

However, I have never been a great fan of Maria Sharapova and I thought knowing more about her would help me understand the clearly driven young woman who wanted to be No 1 in the tennis world and had the misfortune to be at her best the same time the Williams sisters were dominating the tennis world.

From that point of view the book totally failed, I ended the book feeling no more sympathetic to Miss Sharapova than when I started to read.

As an autobiography, this is an invaluable guide to the life of a person dedicated to her sport but the further into the book I went the less she became someone I would like to know in real life.
I used to always watch Wimbledon, but family were never as enthusiastic as i was and haven't watched tennis for a few years now.  Nonetheless, i am still interested in reading about certain tennis players whenever i get the opportunity.  This autobiography was an interesting read and was pleased to have received a copy via Netgalley.  Not only do i thank Netgalley for my copy, but also the Publishers.

This is my honest review, which has been freely given.
You don't have to be a tennis fan to know the influence Maria Sharapova has had over the years. Reading her autobiography was an insight into the sheer grit and force of will that created the renowned tennis player that we all know of today.

When she was 6, people around her pointed out her talent and her father took a chance on her. He left Russia with his daughter for America where he believed her talent will thrive.

The fascinating thing is that he did not speak English but that did not deter his quest to ensure his daughter had the opportunity to start a career in tennis despite the odds.

She explains her rivalry with Serena, the doping scandal and how it is important (but challenging) to maintain a winning streak.

In the book, there are many tales of sorrow, losses, wins and more losses. However, one cannot deny that all the difficult circumstances she faced helped make her become the great athlete she is today.
Very interesting read great insight to her life. Alot of her upbringing i did not know about and made this interesting and very informative
How apt to be reviewing this in Wimbledon fortnight. I had always been a fan of Sharapova's Tennis (grunting aside) but really didn't know much of her backstory. This certainly fills in all the gaps and then some, well written and incredibly interesting. It was certainly refreshing to read of a tennis players good relationship with a 'pushy' tennis parent. Sharapova should not just be remembered for 'drugs ban', she was so much more than that and it would be a crying shame if that was all that was remembered of her legacy.
MASHA THE SMASHER.

Maria (real name, Masha) Sharapova has written a highly readable account of her fairytale journey to the top of the women’s game. A short-lived position: as she says, once you have won a Grand Slam tournament, you have to win another to prove that the first one wasn’t a fluke.

As always with celebrity memoirs, the struggle to the top is more interesting to read about than the maintenance of success. Sharapova’s story is particularly fascinating: her parents lived a hundred miles from Chernobyl and her mother was pregnant with Masha when the catastrophe occurred. Neither parent was tall – could the fallout account for her 6’ 2” height? Or was it the stretching exercises she performed later as a titchy protégée? The family moved away from the area to safety and her father was given a tennis racket by his brother. Masha, aged six, picked up the racket and could hit balls with astounding ability. Her father immediately gave up everything to dedicate his life to his daughter’s training, getting her to the famous tennis camps of Florida and a shot at the big-time. She was separated from her mother for three years.

Along the way, we learn of her rotating (but vulnerable) shoulder that could deliver the killer serve, her bitter rivalry with the intimidating Serena and the drugs bust after which Sharapova convincingly argues her case. All three put a stop to her unstoppable journey. As a record of the value of determination, this is an unbeatable read.

My thanks to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for the review copy.
I am a big tennis fan so was intrigued to read this autobiography from Maria Sharapova. Her writing style is very conversational and easy to read and I finished it very quickly.

She starts (briefly) at the point of her drug scandal before going back to the very beginning when she first picked up a tennis racket. The most fascinating part of her story is how dedicated her family were to getting her the help and training she needed to become a top player. The stories of what her and her father went through when they first arrived in America are really quite something!

Overall, I enjoyed the book and the opportunity to read her side of the story, particularly with regards to her rivalry with Serena Williams and the drug scandal. I won't go into the details of either as I wouldn't want to spoil any of it. The book can seem a bit repetitive at times but it gives a good insight into the pressures of being a top sportsperson in this day and age.
Although not a particularly keen tennis fan I usually love reading autobiographies that trace a celebrity or athletes path to the present day. Parts of the book were quite interesting - but it isn't the best autobiography I've read.
Honestly it felt like a Grimm fairy tale rather than a memoir... I was really interested to read this book to read 'her side of the story' but felt that ultimately, it was a disorganised chaos of memoirs of which were painted in sometimes a quite disturbing way. Where's the heart and emotion in this book?
I really thought I'd enjoy this book but after giving it a go, it really wasn't for me. She's an inspirational woman and this book was very honest about her life, but just not my cup of tea.
This was an interesting story with Maria putting her point of view and telling her life story so far. While she worked hard, as a competing  athlete, she must take responsibility for the medications she takes.  As a tennis fan I still feel that anyone caught using a ban substance in sport should be banned for life. Unfortunately more and more the revenue the sport generates is more important than the sport itself.
I am a big fan of Tennis and when this book came on Netgalley to read I had to request it.
I found Unstoppable: My Life So Far by Maria Sharapova, Мария Шарапова was a Honest and a eye opening read. It was gripping from the first page to the last and enjoyed the book.
As a tennis fan, I found it interesting to learn about how she started. The middle bits were very cringe-inducing in that 'omg you're being petty/mean needlessly' way, but the ending rounded it up nicely.
I would not normally have read this book as I don't usually choose biographies but as I got a complimentary copy I thought I'd read it.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it has given me new admiration for Maria Sharapova and her family who gave her the most amazing support.  I loved the way it was written.  It felt like sitting down with someone and them telling you their story.  Although I am interested in tennis I think this would appeal to anyone not just those interested in the sport.  The mentality behind a successful sports person is unbelievable.  You have to totally believe in yourself.  The hours spent training, sacrificing relationships with family and other hardships are phenomenal.  Maria proved her father right in believing in her.  I enjoyed reading about the relationships with other players.  Then of course there was the doping story (which actually wasn't).  However that period clearly enriched Maria's life as she spent some time outside of the world of tennis.  I loved reading about Wimbledon which truly is a special place - I hope it never changes.
A very readable autobiography following the extraordinary life of Maria Sharapova from the recognition of her early potential at the age of four to her victory at Wimbledon when she was seventeen, followed by more Grand Slams, despite injury and obstacles along the way. Her sheer dedication and determination to succeed at her sport is incredible as she battles through many personal setbacks, supported by amazing parents willing to sacrifice everything to support their daughter. Not being a huge tennis fan, apart from Wimbledon, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Maria's story.
Interesting look at Maria, one of the most famous women’s tennis players. Learned some new things, but didn’t really make me like Maria Sharapova anymore.
Unfortunately this was a no go for me. I just couldn't get into the book and struggled to get past the first few chapters