Cover Image: The Secrets You Keep

The Secrets You Keep

Unfortunately I had to DNF this one. I really struggled to get into it and struggled with the format.
Bryn Harper, 38-year-old nonfiction authoress, is slowly recuperating after a car accident, where her colleague Paul, the driver, died. She is fine, except of these intense dreams of running away from danger. Then a sexy female cook, who has been serving a dinner at their house the previous day, is murdered. Are there some ties to Bryn's husband Guy? Are there ties to Bryn herself?

This is an interesting psychological thriller with a slowly-building tension. I like the everyday-ness of it, the feeling that this could happen and these are the questions one might ask - about the things we know subconsciously. Well, how well do we really know ourselves and the others? Why do we decide the way we do?

This novel will be liked mostly by readers who like the psychological set-up. These who like fast-paced actions would probably find it slow. But I like my novels being based on psychology, because then it makes for a food for thought.

Unfortunately, the last chapters are quite slow for me, too, more space should be dedicated to the killer/s and their motives - and actions!

Yet, most of the novel is finely written and I have enjoyed the intelligently posed questions and the slowly revealing answers. The tension is pent-up and growing, which makes for a good storytelling!
A great psychological thriller. I read this quite some time ago but for some reason my review didn’t work. Really enjoyed this and would highly recommend to any fans of murder mystery.
Really enjoyable read. Good characters and a Good story. Well worth a read. Think others will enjoy.
Great story by Kate White.  Really fabulous story, that kept me turning the pages!!  A thrilling plot, and characters.
Although this isn't a stand out novel in this steeped category it is still a quick entertaining read.
The main character was more than a little annoying and the storyline pretty easy to predict but even so I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys this type of book and I will be keeping an eye on Kate White's books in the future.
Predictable. Would not stand out from the typical psychological thriller. Story based around typical female paranoia about her husband. Poor ending. Yawn.
Thanks to netgalley for the opportunity to have read a new author for me.  The book was well written and worth the effort. Recommended.
Really intriguing book. Very much enjoyed. I’d not heard of author before but would buy again. Thanks.
great read and easy to follow story line. look forward to reading more from this author.
I enjoyed this psychological thriller.

A well paced story with most characters being untrustworthy and others caught within the web of deceit. It was difficult to work out  who had done it as all of the characters appeared guilty. It kept me guessing and I was surprised by the ending.

An excellent mix of intrigue, red herrings and mystery. I was engrossed until the end. Recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Imagine you are a successful self-help author. You suffer from nightmares. In your dreams, you always wake up in a hotel room full of smoke. What is it so hidden in your dreams? You help others. But can you help yourself?

Exactly that is what happened to Bryn. She is suffering from terrible injuries caused by a car accident and since then, she is having those bad dreams. The recent moving to a new house is supposed to make things better. Her husband is the most supportive person in the world. But the dinner changes everything. Bryn's husband is having a business dinner at their house. A catering service is called. Everything is fine until Bryn finds a matchbox full of burned matches in her bedroom. Someone knows about her nightmares.

A few days later, Bryn is called in the catering service. She arrives there just to find the chef killed in her office. Murdered.

Police investigation points to Bryn. Everything points to Bryn.

And those nightmares with a room full of smoke.

The Secrets You Keep is exactly that, a story full of secrets. It is an interesting mystery that makes you wonder until the last page. The main character is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder caused by a car accident and the way she feels is quite normal. She is trying to cope with it the best she can. I liked the way the author moves the story from one event to another, events that you'll never guess that are connected. Some things are predictable, but most are not. I enjoyed the story, it has a good mystery in it. It is my first book by this author and I'll be after her books in the future.
Suspend your belief for this one, and dive right in to the gripping, tense escapism. I really enjoyed it, one of the better ones of its genre.
I really enjoyed this book. I'd put it off for a while, as I was unfamiliar with the author but I'm definitely a fan now. It was gripping, with so many twists and shocks, I struggled to predict the ending! Really enjoyed this
The first of Katie’s books I have read and it wasn’t a disappointment. A fast pasted psychological thriller, with lots of twists and turns. Compulsive, easy reading that’s enjoyable.

Look forward to the next one.
after being involved in a car crash,Bryn Harper she has no memory of the accident.

This twist packed thriller is fast paced and gritty. It has murder, suspicion and many secrets and  I was totally hooked

The Secrets You Keep is a standalone psychological thriller and I have not read a book by Kate White before so I am glad to be introduced to a new author.
An intriguing thriller and my first time reading this author but I will be reading more of her books now. Bryn has had a bad accident and goes to spend the summer in Saratoga with her husband Guy to rest. Bryn keeps having bad nightmares which she can't understand and then to top it off after holding a dinner party the chef ends up dead and Bryn becomes a suspect. Not knowing which way to turn and who to trust poor Bryn's convalescing isn't as restful as she'd of hoped. This is a page turner trying to work out who should be trusted and who's the bad guys. I recommend this gripping read.
My first impression about this book is: thank God it's over! Because, seriously, Bryn was tedious in her thinking, obsessed with scenarios and just brooding way too much. Sure, she did discovered the murderer and a bunch of secrets. However, at the expense of the reader's patience with her style.

The book itself has a very good plot, with a great head start in the first half. Afterwards, the annoyingly neverending thinking process of Bryn comes into the picture and just almost ruins the flow of the action. I had the feeling she was actually meant to distract the reader's thinking much by him/hersrlf and just continuously offering ideas and creating multiple scenarios. I got no breathing space and very little opportunity to discover myself some of the possible traces leading to finding the murderer.

Nevertheless, despite the abovementioned, the book is somehow extremely gripping. Or there might have also been the urge to get over with Bryn's story faster at a subconscious level. I had no favorite character in this book, they were all either too twisted, or too fake regarding their insecurities and/or personalities.

All in all, it's been a rollercoaster read, with ups and downs, addictively constructed, yet boringly unimpressive in writing style. Too many details and too little suspense in the actual sense.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this arc.
Sorry I read the other Kate White book, that is listed on Netgalley THE WRONG MAN. You will have just been notified of it. I didn't rate it much. I don't think it is worth me bothering to even look at this one. I am not going to read or review this book.

Thanks Christine
Intriguing and thought provoking.  I loved this book.  It had all the ingredients for a successful standalone psychological thriller - a little amnesia, friends you aren't not sure you can trust, flashbacks and a husband that you are not sure has cheated. Throw in a couple of murders and we are all on the edge of our seats. This book delivers. I loved it because the characters were real, believable and not outlandish as is so often the case.
Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for an advance e-copy in exchange for an honest review.