Meet Cute

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jan 2018

Meet Cute is a collection of short stories featuring couples as they meet for the first time. Each story is vastly different, from a girl who meets her distant crush only to find out he's the son of the man who destroyed her family, to the girl whose challenging client at her new job turns out to be another teen with her same interests and passions. The stories span genres and styles, including a science fiction story about two teens interviewing for a spot to travel to Mars, and one featuring a futuristic dating app with a nearly perfect success rate. The stories also feature a variety of couples, including same sex couples and a couple that includes a transgender teen, as well as a wide variety of people from different races, backgrounds, and religions.

There are occasional references to teenage drinking, but overall, the volume is relatively tame and could be appropriate down to the middle school level. Romance fans will go crazy for this set of tales, with the only possible complaint being that each story fades to black just as the characters are coming together.  It's the meet cute moments that the volume focuses on, after all.  But all of the slow-burning build-up to the romance is here, the primary topic of each story. This collection might have some potential in a family and consumer science class, like Contemporary Relationships, but is most likely to appeal as a choice novel for students. The short story format may make this volume appealing to busy or reluctant readers, who will appreciate the ability to jump in and out of the stories quickly, or skip over a story that is less appealing. This is a much more representative and modern collection of romantic short stories than one published even five or ten years ago. Your students deserve an upgrade.
I wish I was more sucked into these stories. For some reason short stories are always hard for me to get into. I really wanted something cute and fluffy and this just didn’t deliver.
This was my first ever anthology that I have read. It was super cute and I loved all the stories by the different authors. Some of my favorites were Oomph by Emery Lord (5 stars), The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies (4 stars) and Click by Katherine McGee (4.5 stars).
All the other stories were super good but these are the ones that stand out to me!
I would love to commend Print Shop, it is the only tory that captivated me from start to finish and I wish I could read more, the other stories didn't really stay with me and it took me a long while to get into finishing the book, but I'm glad I finally have.
As with any collection of short stories, there were ones I liked more than the others. As a librarian, my favorite had to be Jennifer Armentrout's story. I also enjoyed the ones by Huntley Fitzpatrick and Sara Shepard. I am likely to pick up another collection that include these authors. I liked the artowrk on the cover, but noticed there is a picture of two boys, but there was not a story about them in the book.
Meet cute is exactly what the name says - CUTE! This collection of short stories written by famous writers is absolutely adorable and it makes you giggle and smile like crazy.
It was...cute! I liked some more than others. There was only a few told from male main character pov. Many were LGBTQ. Since it was only about who each pair met, I guess I was left wanting more from most of the stories, but of course, that is the whole theme of the collection.
Buddy read with Holly, one story a day.

Siege Etiquette - 3/5 I wasn't a fan of the narrative style but it grew on me.
Print Shop - 5/5 F/F That was A D O R A B L E, I'll definitely read more by this author.
Hourglass - 4/5 I know it's a meet cute but I wanted MORE
259 Million Miles -
Something real -
Say Everything -
The Department of Dead Love -
Some of the best authors in YA :)
My students love to read everything by a favorite author, so this is an great book for my classroom
I personally did not really like this book. I tried to read it at least six different times and could not do it. The writing style of the few stories I read felt kind of amateurish, and I felt as though I was trying to push through it rather than truly enjoying myself while reading.
There's something for everyone in this short story collection about first meetings. My faves: Print Shop (one of my fave short stories ever!); Click; The Way We Love Here; and The Department of Dead Love.  Like all short story collections, readers' mileage may vary on which of these stories will work for them, but this diverse grouping will have something to please anyone who loves a love story.
This is one of the cutest books I've read! Each "Meet Cute" story was interesting in it's own way. Most of them left me wanting more, wondering where their relationship was going. While not every story is one of my favorites, most of them make up for that with diversity which is rare in most books I've read.
Sometimes I just need to get sucked into a feel-good story and stay there until I'm finished. Thankfully, I accomplished just that with this anthology full of short bursts of sweetness with meet-cutes, butterflies, first impressions, and so much more.

Meet Cute is a collection of contemporary stories about cute first encouters turned into romance. Not all people enjoy insta-love but once in a while, you'll want it if you're looking for something fluffy. The stories were hit or miss to me but my favorites were written by Katharine McGee and Sara Shepard.
This is such an excellent, charming, and enthralling anthology! I thought that most of the stories were very, very good. Of course, not all of them connected with me but I enjoyed it as a whole. It's a diverse collection of feel-good romances that most lovers of YA fiction and contemporaries will like, too! I recommend this one.
Insta-love and I don't mix well. Perhaps I should have known that a short story collection based entirely on the premise of meet-cute and instant-attraction would not be my cup of tea, but considering the great reviews it was getting and its roster of incredible authors, I thought I'd give it a go. And it's not a surprise that it was, for the most part, a disappointment. Maybe it's one of those cases of, "It's not you, it's me!" Because for readers who don't mind stories about instant-attraction, and reading about your main character getting the warm fuzzies within 2 seconds of meeting their potential love interest, this might be perfect for you. But for me? I found myself rolling my eyes throughout 90% of these stories.

Which is not to say that there weren't some standouts. There totally were, and from a lot of the authors that I had already been anticipating good things from. I found some new authors whose work I enjoyed so much that I'd be willing to pick up their other works too. There were some creative twists to the meet-cute trope, some amazing writing, some really nuanced characters, and some stories that I would have no issue picking up 300-page books of. But on the flip side, there were a lot of stories trying to do too much with too little, trying to sound quirky and edgy and unique but coming off pretentious and try-hard. But let's stop all that, and jump right into the individual ratings.

Also, for the sake of full disclosure: I did not read Dhonielle Clayton's story as several reviewers have pointed out that it is aphobic. I have also refrained from rating it.

1. SIEGE ETIQUETTE BY KATIE COTUGNO - 1 star. First of all, there was no reason for this story to be told in second-person except to maybe look edgy. It made the narrative seem clunky and awkward. Secondly, I will NEVER be on board with cheating narratives that are passed off as “cute.”

2. PRINT SHOP BY NINA LACOUR - 3 stars. I liked that this didn’t focus necessarily on the relationship’s development but more on a side-task that eventually led to the relationship's development. It was told well, and I loved the setting.

3. HOURGLASS BY IBI ZOBOI - 3 stars. This was really nice. I loved the way it focused on a wide scope of things like the main character’s friendships, dreams and university aspirations. I felt like I knew her. The meet-cute aspect itself lacked spark though.

4. CLICK BY KATHERINE MCGEE - 3.5 stars. This was fun! It reminded me a little too much of a couple of Black Mirror episodes but I liked how it was told and the characters were given distinct personalities.

5. THE INTERN by Sara Shepard - 1 star. This was cringe-worthy lmao.

6. SOMEWHERE THAT’S GREEN by Meredith Russo - 3 stars. I enjoyed how well-developed all the characters were, and it was a good length. The topics discussed were also done deftly. I don’t know how I feel about the love interest, though, and how her coming-out was handled.

7. OOMPH by Emory Lord - 4.5 stars. *yells incoherently* THIS IS MY FAVORITE ONE, IT WAS SO CUTE AND WELL-WRITTEN WITH A REALLY UNIQUE AIRPORT SETTING AND GAH *flails*

8. THE DICTIONARY OF YOU & ME BY JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT: 3 stars. I liked the concept and the setting, but the dialogue was so cheesy. 😩

9. THE UNLIKELY LIKELIHOOD OF FALLING IN LOVE BY JOCELYN DAVIES: 4 stars. YAY for girls in STEM! I loved the concept of this, and it was told so fluidly with an interesting format (like how you structure a Statistics paper!). Also super props for including a realistic, positive family dynamic on top of everything else in a short story!

10. 259 MILLION MILES BY KASS MORGAN: 3 stars. Cute idea, and I thought the way the story progressed was unpredictable and interesting. The love interest had that manic-pixie-dream-girl vibe to her, though.

11. SOMETHING REAL BY JULIE MURPHY: 4 stars. I would definitely read a whole book with this premise and these characters. It was also kind of relatable because I'm also involved in fandom culture, and before I met my favorite celebrity, I had this nagging question of "what if he's not who I think he is?" So, integrating that and diverting the attention was really clever! 👌🏽

12. SAY EVERYTHING BY HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK: 1.5 stars. Yet another story told in second-person, rendering it clunky. @ authors, stop using second-person just to be quirky. It doesn’t work, it makes the whole piece sound pretentious and it ruins an otherwise good story.

13. THE DEPARTMENT OF DEAD LOVE BY NICOLA YOON: 2.5 stars. I'm so mad about this one because this had, by far, the most fascinating world of all the stories I read but it was carried out so lazily. The meet-cute aspect of it was such a let-down with things being wrapped up ridiculously quickly in the last few paragraphs. It's a shame, because this is one of those stories that could have really benefited from being longer - perhaps even novel-length. But as it exists now, it wasn't what it could've been. :(

BEST 3: Oomph by Emery Lord; The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies; Something Real by Julie Murphy.
NOT-SO-GOOD: Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick; Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno; The Intern by Sara Shepard.
Very sweet overall.

Short stories are always a hard sell in our library, but this book has enough big name authors and a great topic that it'll move.
Possibly my new favorite anthology! There were so many good ones and I finally got to read some f/f romance!

SIEGE ETIQUETTE by KATIE COTUGNO (2 stars)
Involves cheating so I'm naturally not a fan. Not the best start to an anthology.

PRINT SHOP by NINA LACOUR (4.5 stars)
I adored this one! It is a female/female love story and it's so, so cute! The language is beautiful and I fell in love with the story from the first paragraph.

HOURGLASS by IBI ZOBOI (3 stars)
African Ameican main character, 18 years old. I liked how the main character stayed true to herself and stood up for herself but the love story is close to non-existent in this one.

CLICK by KATHERINE MCGEE (4 stars)
Digital love story about meeting through an app which will find your most compatible partner. Quite interesting story!

THE INTERN by SARA SHEPARD (4 stars)
Musician and intern type of story. It's cute and fluffy.

SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN by MEREDITH RUSSO (4 stars)
Transgender main character (own voice) and female/female love story! Special and definitely one of the more impactful stories of the anthology.

THE WAY WE LOVE HERE by DHONIELLE CLAYTON (5 stars)
I LOVED this one! It's a fantasy-esque story about meeting your soul mate (ofcourse), the twist is that you are born with a number of coils/tattoos and they will gradually disappear as time goes on and when the tattoo fades to one final ring, it creates a unique pattern identical to your beloved's. People with the same number of rings as you is a potential match.

OOMPH by EMERY LORD (4.5 stars)
Another female/female story set in an airport and with aliases.

THE DICTIONARY OF YOU AND ME by JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT (5 stars)
Another one I absolutely loved! It's a library romance and so incredibly cute.

THE UNLIKELY LIKELIHOOD OF FALLING IN LOVE by JOCELYN DAVIES (4 stars)
Mathematics, statistics and research. One morning Samara sees a cute guy on the train and perhaps she has fallen in love at first sight - but what is the odds of her ever meeting him again? Samara intends to find out exactly what her chances are and even conducts research and writes a report.

259 MILLION MILES by KASS MORGAN (4 stars)
Our characters are going through evaluation and meetings to go on a mission to Mars. I'm not the biggest fan of the ending but it was quite an interesting setting and idea.

SOMETHING REAL by JULIE MURPHY (3 stars)
Female/female story and involves a TV-show called 'Date with a celebrity' which naturally goes wrong.

SAY EVERYTHING by HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK (3 stars)
Not the biggest fan at all, okay story.

THE DEPARTMENT OF DEAD LOVE by NICOLA YOON (3.5 stars)
Such an interesting story! It's literally a department of dead love and you can go there to get better after a heartbreak or find out what went wrong! Loved the premise and setting.
An excellent anthology of short stories by popular YA authors that explores the many ways (both new and tried and true) in which a relationship can begin.
A group of beautifully written short stories on love and what the feelings of love. This is a wonderful diverse book that anyone can connect to at some point in their lives. If you love contemporary i suggest giving this book a try.
I only read the stories but the authors whose work I've read before. Katharine McGee's CLICK and Kass Morgan's 249 MILLION MILES are both heartfelt tales, dealing with tough topics like grief and public humiliation. I'd happily read more contributions by those authors again.