Meet Cute

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jan 2018

This was a super cute book - particularly loved the pieces by Julie Murphy and Dhonielle Clayton. I will be checking into everything they write!
I really enjoyed reading this one! It was a good mix of stories! I loved most of the short stories!

My favorites include:
Click by Katherine McGee
The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Intern - Sara Shepard
Oomp - Emery Lord
Something Real by Julie Murphy
The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon

The others fell quite short for my liking. Still this has been a truly wonderful read!
This is one of the best collections of short stories that I've read for ages, and with the calibre of authors included I'm not surprised. I enjoyed some aspect of all of the stories and I thought there was a really good range of genres and subject matters covered. Most stories were contemporary but there were some with fantastical and sci-fi elements that I really enjoyed.

My favourite stories were by Nina LaCour, Julie Murphy, Nicola Yoon and Dhonielle Clayton. I've just read and loved 'The Belles', but I need to get books by the other authors immediately!

Nina LaCour's is the story that really stayed with me. I wish there was a whole book with these characters! It's about two girls who meet through a customer service complaint. Their fledgling relationship was really heartwarming and I loved both characters.

Julie Murphy's story of a reality TV dating show was hilarious, unexpected and entertaining! The voice of her writing was great and I can't wait to read more of her books.

Nicola Yoon wrote an incredibly creative story about breaking up that reminded me a lot of 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'. It's rare that I come across a story so delightfully inventive and I really enjoyed it!

I adored Dhonielle Clayton's writing in 'The Belles' and her short story was incredibly moving and thought-provoking, achieving so much in so few words!

If you want a book that's sweet and uplifting, this is a perfect option.
I loved this! It's a wonderful collection of short stories (many of which I wanted to be longer...) that has an incredible mix of diversity (queer, poc, fantasy, etc). It would be a great addition to any YA collection. Recommend!
SIEGE ETIQUETTE by KATIE COTUGNO
This was a story about a boy and a girl at a party who had known each other for years but never spoken. It was okay but nothing too exciting and reminded me why I sometimes find short stories hard to read. (2/5 stars)

PRINT SHOP by NINA LACOUR
A cute story about a teenage girl starting a job at an eccentric print shop and how she goes out of her way to offer customer service to another teenage girl over Twitter. Cute and modern. (3/5 stars)

HOURGLASS by IBI ZOBOI
A story about a high school senior who wants to get out of her small town and move on. (3/5 stars)

CLICK by KATHERINE MCGEE
A cute story about a program for online dating that takes your entire internet history and matches you up with someone based on your compatibility. Packed a punch and I really, really liked this one. (4.5/5 stars)

THE INTERN by SARA SHEPARD
A story about a girl who spends a part of her day entertaining a rock star and learns a bit about herself in the process. (2/5 stars)

SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN by MEREDITH RUSSO
A story about a transgendered girl and some of the issues she is experiencing in high school due to one girl's public stance on her. (3/5 stars - very interesting)

THE WAY WE LOVE HERE by DHONIELLE CLAYTON
A story about an island in which all of the inhabitants know when they will meet their true love. A look at future destiny. Cute and unique. (3/5 stars)

OOMPH by EMERY LORD
A cute story about a girl meeting another girl while waiting for her flight at the airport. (4/5 stars)

THE DICTIONARY OF YOU AND ME by JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT
One of my favourites in the anthology - this one is about a girl who works at the public library and spends quite a bit of time trying phoning a guy to return the dictionary he took out months ago. I can't resist a good library setting :) (4.5/5 stars)

THE UNLIKELY LIKELIHOOD OF FALLING IN LOVE by JOCELYN DAVIES
As someone who has studied a lot of statistics and works with them daily, I loved this. Such a cute story about a girl who does a high school stats project on the likelihood of seeing a stranger on another subway train in NYC. So cute. (4/5 stars)

259 MILLION MILES by KASS MORGAN
Super interesting premise but the ending didn't live up to it for me. (2/5 stars)

SOMETHING REAL by JULIE MURPHY
Not my favourite, unfortunately. Was not super impressed with the whole reality show concept. (2/5 stars)

SAY EVERYTHING by HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK
Cute. (3/5 stars)

THE DEPARTMENT OF DEAD LOVE by NICOLA YOON
3.5 stars (less) super fascinating concept.
Very cute book! I enjoy these kind of 'love at first sight' stories, but I do wish that some of them had been longer (I KNOW that's the point, they're short stories...)
Meet Cute is a wonderful collection of stories. What's exciting about the book is how many voices and perspectives there are. The novel starts off really boring. The first two stories made me want to sleep. I almost left the book, but because I'd gotten it from NetGallery in exchange for a review I continued reading it. Eventually, the book picked up and the stories got better. Some stories were still silly but mostly they were fun and well written. I gave 3 stars to the book because it's a good light read, but takes patience to get through some of the stories.
I absolutely adored this anthology. I mean, it's writers are all phenomenal in their own ways and they delivered their heart in this anthology, and it is about meet cutes. Those are the absolute cutest. It was everything I could hope for. Thank you for the chance.
I received an e-ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Book Group through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

I’m usually not a fan of romance, yet I had to request Meet Cute because so many people I trust were very excited for it. After having a look at the various authors who wrote a short story for this anthology, I had faith that Meet Cute was going to be diverse and not as cliché as most of the romance-centred stories I have read before.

Sadly, Meet Cute wasn’t able to convince me that I ought to read more romances. It also wasn’t as diverse as I had hoped. After reading many mixed reviews, I decided this wasn’t worth continuing. I started this ARC in October and and I just couldn’t bring myself to read the rest.

I read the first five stories of this anthology and I will review those individually now.

1. Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno

This anthology starts out with a story about two (seemingly) non-disabled, white, allocishet characters. In my opinion, the first story has to set the tone for the rest of the book, so I was disappointed that this one wasn’t diverse. On top of that, this meeting leads to the protagonist cheating on her boyfriend. I fail to see how that’s a cute first meeting.

I don’t understand why second-person point of view was used. It didn’t add anything to the story.

Overall, I didn’t like this short story. It all boiled down to a popular queen bee who cheated on her boyfriend because she was angry and grieving.

content and trigger warning for cheating, ableist language, deceased parents

2. Print Shop by Nina LaCour

I absolutely love We Are Okay by Nina LaCour, so I was very keen to read this short story. Print Shop features two queer girls and a M/M side relationship. I really liked the setting and wouldn’t mind reading more about it.

3. Hourglass by Ibi Zoboi

Cherish, the protagonist in Hourglass is a fat black girl. There’s also poverty representation.

I think the author tried to include too much in this short story, and nothing was concluded by the end. The writing was a bit confusing at times as well. Furthermore, I think Cherish was quite rude to people she had just met, like looking down on them for going to a community college.

4. Click by Katharine McGee

Click is set in 2020. That fact let to a bit of irritation for me, because sentences like “He was holding out his iPhone 12.” were clearly thrown in to show that this took place in the future. In 2018, however, we don’t say “I was holding out my iPhone 8 plus”, so this just seemed awkward. And are we supposed to believe that he isn’t carrying a portable charger with him at all times in 2020?

At a certain point, the female character left her phone in a cab, so they were calling it to try and find it. Once again, I thought this scene was so unrealistic. First of all, you can’t hear a phone ring outside a car, and certainly not in traffic. Secondly, if the phone is ringing so loudly and over and over again, why wouldn’t the cab driver just pick it up?

I wasn’t a fan of the M/F romance either, it was rather cliché:

"Raden tucked her hair behind her ear. Alexa’s breath caught, as if she’d climbed up a mountain and the air was suddenly dangerously thin. And then he reached behind him for his camera and took a picture. “The way the light hits you . . . this is incredible,”

It might seem as if I’m nitpicking here, but I think this shows that the author’s writing really wasn’t my cup of tea.

content and trigger warning for ableist language, deceased sibling

5. The Intern by Sara Shepard

This was the third story in which a character was grieving because they lost someone, in this case a mother. I usually like to read books dealing with grief, but I think there should be more variety in an anthology.

The Intern wasn’t the worst story, but it wasn’t very good either. It was too rushed and I think the romance could’ve been more consensual: “His lips were suddenly touching mine.”

content and trigger warning for deceased parent
------------------------------------------------------------
The only reason why I feel bad for DNF’ing this, is because I received an ARC from the publisher. But sadly, Meet Cute wasn’t my cup of tea – only one of the stories I read was queer! – and it has even received mixed reviews from people who tend to enjoy stories like these.
I thought most of the stories were cute. I didn't care for some of them but that's not unusual in a short story collection.
A wonderful anthology of meet cute stories! There are many outstanding authors involved in this one. Stand out stories are Click, Oomph, The Dictionary of You and Print Shop. If you're looking for a sweet collection of meet cute stories, this is a fun one to check out. There is a great blend of diversity throughout, so it's really something special. Highly recommended!
An anthology of teens' falling-in-love moments by some of the most popular YA authors at this time.

My favorites were "Oomph" by Emery Lord and "Print Shop" by Nina LaCour. I'm a big fan of those wlw stories.

My least favorite was "Say Everything" by Huntley Fitzpatrick. It was just too bizarre and didn't flow.

Within the anthology, there is a great mix of diversity: straight relationships, non-straight relationships, POC and bi-racial relationships, fantasy settings, sci-fi settings, contemporary settings, urban settings, POC authors, and diverse sexual orientation authors. It would be a great addition to any YA collection with a not-miniscule budget (like mine) and/or large romance readership since anthologies don't tend to circulate all that well. But, being published in January, right before Valentine's Day is a good move on the publisher's part.
Meet Cute - according to the Urban Dictionary this a scenario in which two individuals are brought together in some unlikely, zany, destined-to-fall-in-love-and-be-together-forever sort of way. Apparently, also according to Urban Dictionary, the most unusual circumstances make for the best stories and relationships. This term was fairly new to me when I started reading this anthology, but the concept of finding love in an unexpected place it not anything new. It's something that has been happening in literature and film since the dawn of their existence. Finding love is equal parts terrifying, exhilarating, and passionate. There is nothing more enchanting than that first glimpse at someone who is destined to hold a piece of your heart. Young love, however, doesn't always run a smooth course and can often be bittersweet. We've all had our hearts broken at some point and hopefully we've all had them mended as well. Fourteen YA authors have joined forces to bring a diverse cast of characters to life to allow readers to see the moment when the Meet Cute occurs. Some of the couples have staying power while others seem to linger only in the short expanse of these pages like smoke that is dissipating into the night sky. There is truly something for every reader in this collection no matter your genre preference.  "Whether or not you believe in fate, luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere" (Kindle Location 3340).

Story #1: "Siege Etiquette" by Katie Cotugno
Contemporary

I will read anything Cotugno writes, so I was excited to see her in another anthology so soon after finishing Three Sides of a Heart, another YA anthology focusing on love triangles that had a short piece of Cotugno's. This story doesn't have a love triangle, but it wasn't a lot darker than I was expecting. The story focuses on Wolf and Hailey, two polar opposites in virtually every way, that find themselves stuck together in a bathroom during a party. The police are in the process of breaking the festivities up and teens have tried to hide in order to avoid their parents' wrath and possible consequences. As Wolf and Hailey hope they will avoid trouble, they find themselves in conversation and learn that what they always thought about one another is only partially true.

Every autumn you forget about him and every January he shows up at school again, blinking and dazed, like he's spent the last six months wandering dumbly in a cornfield. You've never seen him at a party before in your life.
~ Kindle Location 38-42

Story #2: "Print Shop" by Nina LaCour
Contemporary

Evie is starting a new part time job at a print shop in her California town. Rather than using the new methods to make prints, her job is in a business that prides itself on doing things the old fashioned way. The work is exquisite but time consuming which Evie will soon learn when setting up the new Twitter account for the shop will come with a tenacious disgruntled customer. Evie wishes that she could hand things off to Neve, the full time employee, but a prenatal appointment has the mother to be out of the shop and Evie is left to her own devices to try to set things right. Along the way, Evie may just find that the customer is the girl of her dreams.

When I wasn't sure of myself, those writers were sure of me.
~ Kindle Location 308

Story #3: "Hourglass" by Ibi Zoboi
Contemporary

Ibi Zoboi's debut, American Street, was one of my favorite reads in 2017, so I was thrilled to see that she was a contributing author in this collection. She delivers another courages heroine - this time in the form of Precious, a girl living in a town where she comes from one of the few black families in residence. As such, Precious doesn't have a lot of friends within her culture, and her best friend, Stacy, is a popular white girl who spends her time buying expensive clothes and posting pictures of herself on social media. Precious doesn't see anything wrong with Stacy's choice of hobbies, but it's hard to have those things in common when you're taller than most of the boys in your grade and your figure is fuller than a matchstick. To make matters worse, Stacy's ex is responsible for a racist meme featuring Precious that sweeps through the halls of their high school life wildfire. Precious must decide how to handle the dwindling days of high school and make a choice about how to move forward into the next phase of her life. Her perspective shifts when she encounters a family with roots in Senegal who seem to understand her better than Stacy ever could.

This story not only touches on racism, but also bullying that is too common of an occurrence in high schools across our country.

This story was one of my favorites in the collection.

I quickly check my email for any news from Superman, or Hampton, or even Florida A&M. They all waitlisted me. And they are miles and miles away from here - Virginia, Georgia, and Florida. They're historically black colleges that are nothing like my small, white town where my family is one of fourteen black families, and we stand out like four giant oak trees in a forest of shrubs.
~ Kindle Location 583

Story #4: "Click" by Katharine McGee
Science Fiction

This was my first experience reading Katharine McGee, but I found that I loved the characters in this one and the writing style instantly pulled me in. As such, I'll certainly be checking out other works by this author.

This story was difficult to pin a genre on as it has elements of a contemporary, but is set slightly in the future and deals with some technology elements that gave it a futuristic air. It's not truly science fiction, but I couldn't think of a better option.

There are two main characters who drive the narration in this tale. Alexa is a college student who is still reeling from the unexpected death of her little sister, Claire, who was also her best friend. She has thrown herself into her work in computer science to create a program she feels would honor Claire's memory. As her grades drop as she shirks off academic responsibilities to work on her program, Alexa realizes that she needs to live life a little and it wouldn't hurt to do some research on a new program, Click, that uses a similar algorithm to match people romantically. By pulling data from a variety of sources, Click promises that it can link you with someone who is 99% compatible with you. Alexa has to see if it truly works for herself, so she agrees to meet a Click date.

The other main character, Raden, has also signed up for the Click service and meets Alexa. He's not expecting someone like her, but soon learns that sometimes the heart wants what it wants, logic and "type" be damned. Besides, technology never lies, right? The pair are off on one of the most unorthodox (and memorable) dates in the history of YA literature.

This was one of my favorite stories in the collection.

The first snow. That had always been Claire's favorite day of the year. It's when the world feels full of magic, when anything seems possible, Claire used to say, with an infectious smile. Then she would drag Alexa outside to twirl in the snow, before coming back in to make cocoa with dollops of whipped cream.
~ Kindle Location 751

Story #5: "The Intern" by Sara Shepard
Contemporary

Clara is an intern at her father's music label against her better judgment. After her mother's death, nothing seems to work right anymore, and her father forces the position on her in an attempt to help her begin the healing process. Everyone at work keeps her at an arm's length because they don't want anything getting back to her father. Clara isn't a spy and she's not even a fan of the music produced by the label, but she can't very well make this announcement to her co-workers. Instead, she jumps at the chance to get out of the office when an opportunity arises to show Phineas Cleary, a popular singer around New York City and escort him to a psychic reading.

No matter how much any one of us wanted to play God, no matter how much we wished it were possible, the world wasn't supposed to be in the hands of just one person.
~ Kindle Location 1000

Story #6: "Somewhere That's Green" by Meredith Russo
Contemporary

Nia, a transgender student, is engaged in a battle with her high school over allowing her to use the restroom of her identified gender. Her town located on the outskirts of Nashville, Tennessee isn't exactly the most open minded of places, but Nia still hopes that somehow she will get treated fairly. A conservative family in town is fighting back against the school board's decision concerning the restrooms by having their daughter, Lexie, a classmate of Nia's, go on record as saying she's uncomfortable with the thought of sharing a restroom or locker room with Nia as she feels its a Pandora's Box. As the media circus swirls around both sides, the girls try to avoid one another, but when they are both cast in the school's upcoming production of Little Shop of Horrors, they will have to learn to get along. A cast party on a rural farm forces the girls to confront their feelings and learn to see one another in a different light.

For me, this story is a timely piece, but I had trouble connecting with Nia and Lexie. I felt for each girl as they struggled to come to terms with things, but I didn't particularly like them as people. I did love Nia's Dad. Every child needs a parent like that in their corner.

She was almost certain she had some kind of anxiety disorder, which would probably explain the constant jitters, the jumpiness, and the nauseous panic attacks, but her parents didn't believe in psychiatry or secular therapy, so she couldn't do much about it except try to breathe.
~ Kinde Location 1217

Story #7: "The Way We Love Here" by Dhonielle Clayton
Fantasy

Viola (aka Vio) has grown up on the Isle of Meridien, where the Gods have predetermined the identity of each youth's beloved. Children of the island are born with tattooed rings around their finger that fade over time as they get closer to the moment when they will meet their soulmate. Vio isn't sure she believes in all of the old tales and she longs to see what's beyond the horizon of her island, but her mother warns her that nothing exists outside of the boundaries of the island except a death delivered by the sea. Vio refuses to believe that nothing else exists in the world. One evening while she is on the beach hoping to find some divine intervention, a boy washes up half drowned on the shore. Vio pumps the sea water from his lungs hoping to meet someone from another land, but it turns out to be a young man, Sebastien, from the other side of the Isle of Meridien. Sebastien says he was trying to see his beloved under the waves as an old legend instructed, but things had gone badly wrong for him. The pair decide to try another legend, ensnaring, to see if they might get a glimpse into their futures. What they find are several possible paths, but which one will ultimately guide Vio's heart?

This one was yet another favorite from this collection. I was fascinated by the lore of the Isle of Meridien. I would love to see this expanded into a larger work.

Momma said people are like streams, and when you meet your beloved, you become a single river flowing in one direction; currents, waves, ripples, indistinguishable from one another.
~ Kindle Location 1474

Story #8: "Oomph" by Emery Lord
Contemporary

Cass comes from an overprotective home, but she has spent her Spring Break in the wilds of New York City all on her own learning to navigate the fast paced world that will become hers in the fall when she joins the freshman class at NYU. As a talented actress, Cass knows that there is no better place to attend college than the big apple, but she also worries that she isn't good enough to compete with the vast amount of talent that is sure to be present at NYU. As she lingers at JFK airport waiting to get home to Indianapolis after a weather delay, she fields frantic texts and calls from her Dad about the weather and status of her flights. Everything in her world shifts though the moment she lays eyes on Johanna. The pair spend their time waiting for flights in deep conversation which has Cass rethinking all of her doubts about college life and the big city.

This was another personal favorite.

"I think... I think all we can really do is chase the oomph."
I lean forward, thinking I've misheard. "The oomph?"
Man, she's pretty. Pale lashes fluttering as she thinks. "Yeah, that thing you feel when you're right where you're supposed to be. That... steeled feeling."
~ Kindle Location 1825

Story #9: "The Dictionary of You and Me" by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Contemporary

Any story set in a library is a win for me, but this story in particular has a special place in my mind. It is impossible to read this one without getting warm fuzzies. The main character, Moss, works at a library in her small town of Waverly Hollow. I kept envisioning a Rory Gilmore sort of girl in a Stars Hollow sort of town while reading. Moss is charged with the responsibility of trying to get overdue materials returned to the library. For months, she has been trying to track down a dictionary which has not been returned. Every evening she finds herself on duty at the library, she calls the elusive owner of the library card in question to request the return of the dictionary and every night she finds herself lost in conversation with a guy who makes her heart zing. Could the voice on the other end of the phone be her soulmate?

I loved this one hard. The addition of the Christmas time frame makes it one I want to reread next December.

Things like this only happened in Hallmark movies, the kind that made Libby cry like she was an angry, unfed baby. They didn't happen in real life, but this was happening. I wasn't dreaming.
~ Kindle Location 2036

Story #10: "The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love" by Jocelyn Davies
Contemporary

Sam is one of those girls who adores statistics. While I couldn't relate to her on that level as I hated math as a student, she thrives on data and numbers. The logic and rules behind math help keep her grounded in a chaotic world. Her family of creative types doesn't understand her love of stats, but they are more intrigued when she discusses a project for her AP Statistics class that she has designed to track the probability that she will run into a cute guy on the subway. Her train is heading into Manhattan while his is going to Brooklyn. In a city as large as NYC, it's impossible that their paths will cross again, but maybe if Sam does her math right, the impossible will have a probable chance of reoccurring. Is it truly statistics or fate that will determine if Sam finally gets to make the acquaintance of the cute guy on the opposite train?

And then, something happened that changed my life. Something that never would have happened if the constellation of minuscule events in my life hadn't aligned perfectly to deliver me to this exact moment.
~ Kindle Location 2089

Story #11: "259 Million Miles" by Kass Morgan
Science Fiction

A program is being launched to send gifted teens to Mars to begin a new colony. Philip is hoping for a spot on the next launch as staying on Earth and living with the embarrassment of his internet infamy is more than a teen boy can bear. He's in the final phases of the selection process and has to be in a mission simulation for twenty four hours with another potential selection who turns out to be none other than Blythe, a well known teen inventor who seeks to help Earth clean up its environmental mistakes. The twenty four hours will teach them both about their strengths and weaknesses.

While I felt sorry for Philip due to the bullying, I wasn't a big fan of his personality. I also just didn't sink into this story as easily as some of the others despite the intriguing premise.

I meet with a different psychologist this time. James. He's a cheerful youngish guy with dreadlocks, wearing a tie and the kind of immaculately pressed shirt I'm pretty sure you only get from having a team of house elves dress you every morning.
~ Kindle Location 2394

Story #12: "Something Real" by Julie Murphy
Contemporary

Reality TV rears its overproduced head in this fun tale about June and Martha, two girls chosen to compete on a show called A Date Come True to land a date with famous musician, Dylan. June runs Dylan's official fan club and while she's confident in herself in most ways, she realizes that a superstar probably won't appreciate her curves. Martha is competing to find closure after her sister's death. Both girls have a vision for how the experience will unfold, but as they see the fakeness of the show and experience what Dylan is truly like, they decide that maybe winning a date with a celebrity isn't as great as it sounds after all. This story had me cracking up. I'm not sure I'll ever look at chicken nuggets the same way again.

I guess you can call me a glutton for punishment, or you can just refer to me by my official title: June Smith, President and Founder of the Official Dylan Fan Club International. Yeah, I've got it bad.
~ Kindle Location 2644

Story #13: "Say Everything"
Contemporary

Emma is a waitress at a local diner where she is constantly forced to serve the lacrosse team from a nearby posh private school. Emma can't help starring at the perfect happy faces shining with money, success, and future possibilities. She used to have the same look about her when her family was rich and lived by the sea, but things haven't been that good in a long time. Making ends meet is now the family motto and Emma makes due with public school and her tips, but she can't help thinking about how easy life used to be. One of the guys catches her eye each time he comes in and orders nothing but iced tea while his friends make a nuisance of themselves, order tons of food, leave a huge mess, and rarely tip well. The guy, Sean, ends up asking Emma on a date and she finds that he knows more about who she used to be than she could have ever imagined. Emma's past and present collide in a heartbreakingly sweet turn of events.

"It's the book of lost opportunities," Sean says.
You nod. "I thought it would help me remember to do stuff differently - if I got the chance."
~ Kindle Location 3067

Story #14: "The Department of Dead Love" by Nicola Yoon
Fantasy

In Thomas Marks' world, there is an entity that exists called the Department of Dead Love. There are various divisions within this department, but as a teen, Thomas frequents the building that focuses on young love as it's often the most volatile and brutal to the heart. Thomas was dating his best friend since childhood, Samantha, but after a few months in a relationship that was more than plutonic, Samantha called things off with little explanation. She wanted to remain friends, but Thomas' battered heart couldn't handle that, so he headed to the Department to find answers. His quest landed him in the division that handles relationship autopsies to address the cause of the break and depending on the circumstances can lead to a "do over". Thomas is desperately clutching to the last shred of hope that he will be granted a "do over" with Samantha. He doesn't bargain on the young intern in charge of his relationship autopsy, but there is something compelling about her that just might make him leave Samantha in the past.

While I loved the creativity and world building in this piece, Thomas frustrated me with his whiny behavior.

Most people agree that Young Love is the prettiest of all the buildings. It's the tentative green of a new leaf and shaped like a single blade of grass.
~ Kindle Location 3100

One Last Gripe: Personally, I wish there had been a few more fantasy stories or a historical fiction piece in the collection.

Favorite Thing About This Book: The diversity of the characters and romances

First Sentence: You're getting another beer in the kitchen and watching two badly dressed sophomores try not to be too obvious about the fact that they're staring at you, when the cops show up outside Madison Campbell's house.

Favorite Character: Moss from "The Dictionary of You and Me" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Least Favorite Character: Thomas from "The Department of Dead Love" by Nicola Yoon
I loved this anthology. It was so cute and fun, and honestly just adorable. I'm usually not sure how to review anthologies, but I think I can honestly say there was not a story in here that I didn't like. I enjoyed all of them.

I absolutely loved the diversity and representation. All different couples were included. The stories were short, but sweet. Exactly as the title says - a meet cute. The stories ranged all sorts of different topics, and a lot of them left me yearning for more.

My top favorites, if I had to choose, would be:
Click by Katharine McGee
The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies
The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon

If you are looking for something short and sweet, this is perfect
All your favorite young adult authors in one book. I enjoyed most of the short stories.
Meet Cute is a short story anthology about cute first encounters that turn into romance. There were many different YA authors that I heard or read from.

I tend to steer away from anthologies, because short stories are hit or miss for me. I was surprised to have really enjoyed this one. There were several stories I gave five stars to!

This is a must read for anyone who enjoys contemporary YA romance.
This had such high points and low points, which is exactly how I feel after every single anthology I read. I think the concept of this whole collection was nice, but I would have liked a couple more stories from male perspectives - and a m/m story perhaps? Don't get me wrong, I loved how many f/f stories were in this, but I think it could have benefited from some other narrators. But let's get into my specific feelings on all 14 stories.

Breakdown of the stories:
Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno - 2/5
A very odd way to start the collection. I think the second person was a bit strange, but I adjusted. However, there was a very cavalier use of cheating that definitely didn't endear me to the characters.

Print Shop by Nina LaCour - 3.5/5
I will always adore Nina's writing. This had a very cute, romance vibe, which is exactly what I was looking for in this collection. It was nice to see a super rom com set up for two girls falling in love (in this instance, falling for each other over Twitter in the midst of customer service frustrations). The POV shift was a bit strange, but still an overall solid story.

Hourglass by Ibi Zoboi - 3/5
I thought this did a great job of tackling issues like body image, coming from a poor family, and college prep, but I felt like the best friend relationship was very lackluster in how it was dealt with. Also, the meet cute itself left me wanting more.

Click by Katharine McGee - 4/5
Such a cute story. I may have been in a particular mood for reading this, considering I had just barely watched the "Don't Hang the DJ" episode of Black Mirror, but I felt like the dating app aspect worked perfectly. Also, a big fan of the split POV. It definitely helped me to know BOTH of the characters more, and to feel more invested in their meet cute.

The Intern by Sara Shepard - 3/5
This was cute, but overall just rushed. I felt like none of the emotional punches were really earned, because I didn't get enough of a chance to know the characters and be impacted by the things they had gone through. The relationship also felt very rushed.

Somewhere That's Green by Meredith Russo - 4/5
I loved this story, and I love Meredith Russo. This was f/f, and it was also split POV. One of the POV characters was a trans girl, and the other was a closeted lesbian, and they both wind up being cast in their high school production of Little Shop of Horrors. This tackles some huge stuff, especially transphobia, but I thought it did it all beautifully and also managed to fit in a wonderful meet cute. It's possible I was even more charmed by this considering my sister is currently in her school's production of Little Shop, but it is what it is.

The Way We Love Here by Dhonielle Clayton - 4/5
This has a really magical vibe and I enjoyed that aspect. I think there is a huge amount of skill involved in worldbuilding within a short story, which Dhonielle absolutely pulled off. This covers years and years of a relationship, and it doesn't feel rushed or forced in any way, which is so impressive.

Oomph by Emery Lord - 5/5
CLEARLY my favorite of the entire collection. This was perfect in every way. Give me a full novel about these two amazing girls meeting in an airport and falling for each other, seriously. I have never read anything by Emery Lord before, but I will definitely be checking out more of her books after reading this.

The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout - 2/5
I think my overall review of this was that I just didn't care? I didn't care about the characters, the story, the stakes, etc. I spent most of the time rolling my eyes. It was a stumbling block in the middle of a really solid run of stories and I just didn't care for it.

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies - 3.5/5
This was absolutely ridiculous, but I was still super charmed by it. I mean the concept - seeing someone on the subway and falling instantly in love, then using an AP statistics assignment to track them down again - is absurd, but I loved the way it was written. I don't know how this one got me, but it did.

259 Million Miles by Kass Morgan - 2/5
This was the first story to have a solely male POV, and I really wish it had been stronger. I think this tried to tackle way too much in a limited amount of space, and the love interest was laughably one-dimensional. Also, with how this ended, I don't know if I would really consider this a meet cute?

Something Real by Julie Murphy - 3.5/5
I'm giving out huge points to a great concept right here. I mean, it was solid. I thought it tried a little too hard with the emotional stuff near the beginning, but by the end I was grinning ear to ear.

Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick - 2/5
I read this earlier today and I've already forgotten what it was even about... Yikes, let me go look back at it. Ah, yes. Ok, this one tried to tackle like a hundred deep, emotional issues, and I don't think it really managed any of them well. It was a really bizarre concept that I don't really think worked. And, apparently, it's a bit forgettable.

The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon - 3/5
I thought the worldbuilding of this was absolutely incredible. If you want to know what it takes to build a totally new world in the space of a short story, I recommend checking this out. However, I think the relationship itself was a little weak. This is the only other story with a solely male POV, but I just wasn't very invested in him or the new relationship that was happening.

And that's it, those are my thoughts on Meet Cute. If you like anthologies, I think this is a pretty solid, standard YA anthology, but expect the highs with the lows. My favorite aspect of this book was the diversity, and the sheer number of f/f stories. It was really appreciated, especially in an anthology like this where it was just cute and romantic and simple. Ladies falling in love don't usually get that sort of story in mainstream YA, and I loved how many got the chance to in this collection.
I picked this up for a few specific names, but I stayed for most of the others. There are so many short, sweet stories packed within this fairly short collection that I was surprised.