Cover Image: Meet Cute

Meet Cute

Let’s start by saying, “Did you see ALL the amazing authors associated with this book?!?!” Personally I really love collections of short stories, and this book was no exception. There is not one story included that I wasn’t absolutely in love with. Each story was so uniquely adorable, I had a hard time not smiling the whole time I was reading this book. It wasn’t called Meet Cute for no reason, each story is just that, ridiculously light and cute.

This was the first time reading many of the authors for me. I must say I’m now excited to pick up any books by each of these authors. I was surprisingly not turned off by any of these instalove stories, probably because I knew what I was going into before reading them. I loved the fact that there were a multitude of different love stories. There were stories with male, lesbian, transgender, female etc. main characters.

Overall I would highly recommend this book if you love any of these authors. Also if you are looking for a cute short read, where you can read one or two stories a night, this will be great for you.
Grade: C
An e-galley was provided by HMH Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I really do love this boom of YA anthologies. It introduces me to new writers, and I get to read more from my favorites. Most, however, have stories that seem too short. I didn't feel this was the case with Meet Cute. However, there were stories I didn't enjoy for other reasons. I'm going to highlight some of my favorites and my least favorites with a shout-out to a couple I neither hated or loved, just to give y'all an idea of whether or not you'll like this anthology.

My favorite stories were "Click" by Katherine McGee (it was really cute, and the writing was good), "Oomph" by Emery Lord (it was Emery Lord, so I mean?? but also, the main character referenced Peggy Carter, so I had to love her), "The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love" by Jocelyn Davies (I liked the blending of math and fluff, but Camilla needed a little more substance), "The Dictionary of You and Me" by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Cute with a cute boy, and I liked the premise), and "Print Shop" by Nina LaCour (I liked how they "met," and it had a cute premise).
I also wanted to highlight "Hourglass" by Ibi Zoboi. I liked the plotline with Cherish's goals, and then how she met the boy. The parents felt underdeveloped, though, which kept this story from getting 4 or 5 stars. I also didn't hate "Something Real" by Julie Murphy. The premise was super fun, but the execution was a little rough. It fit the genre length really well, though.
Stories I didn't like:

"Siege Etiquette" by Katie Cotugno - I've never really liked Katie's books, and this one got 2 stars for being written in second-person POV and a cheating main character.
"Somewhere That's Green" by Meredith Russo - I felt like the relationship/meet cute thing moved way too fast. Spoiler alert, but the couple in question kiss at the end of the story, and I felt like that needed more time to develop.
"259 Million Miles" by Kass Morgan - Skimmed most of it. The narrator didn't sound like a guy, and I didn't find the premise interesting.
"Say Everything" by Huntley Fitzpatrick - Pretty boring.

The Verdict: This anthology was kind of hit-or-miss, so it's ultimately not one of my favorites. I'll probably check it out of the library if I ever want to read the stories I did like again.
Sweetest little book of little stories about falling in love.  It was great.   Loved it.

Awwww.
I'm not sure if I can do this book justice in my review. I loved it because of the brilliant little stories and the fantastic meetings that were crafted by these authors.  This anthology has stories about all different kinds of first meets and many different kinds of relationships. I picked it up to read because it features some of my favorite YA authors and it in no way disappointed, it did leave me wishing for full stories about some of these brilliant characters. From the first to the last in this book, I was happily drawn in and delighted.
Thank you netgalley for this ARC for my honest opinion.
This book was sweet, heartwarming, and just made me happy while reading it. It is so interesting to have a book filled with only the first meetings of those falling in love leaving the reading to imagine everything else that will happen to them. As with every anthology of short stories by various authors there were some stories that I enjoyed more than others, but there were no stories I didn't like. The amount of diversity and representation throughout the stories was wonderful and I love how every story was different and unique and together created a wonderful group. My favourite stories were probably those written by Nina LaCour, Merideth Russo, and Jocelyn Davies.
I enjoyed this book so much! I read it in two sittings and enjoyed almost all of the stories in it as well. The first two were very slow for me, but other than that, i loved how different all the stories were from one another!
I usually don't read that many anthologies, but 2017 was a year of surprises! It's sad that this anthology hasn't been promoted enough and I would love it to be seen more on social media! Meet Cute is a series of stories where characters meet each other for the first time. You get to see many different authors and some of them are my favourite ones!

I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it!
This story collection, like most other Young Adult ones, is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the authors - Nicola Yoon, Nina LaCour, Ibi Zoboi, Julie Murphy - have awesome stories while the rest vary from meh to middling. It's hard to picture too many people getting excited about and enjoying every single story; however, I think it'll be great in libraries so people can read whatever they want without feeling any obligation to read all of it because they paid for it.
I had so much fun reading this book! It really is filled with cute and fun short stories! I love how the authors spun a tale so unique and witty. All stories are sweet but there are definitely a bittersweet (my favorite) here and there, not all seems realistic but I love just how raw the writings are.
It took me two short stories to understand that this is a book full of "how they met" (I don't know why I forgot this given the title). Surprisingly, some of my favorites here are from authors that I'm unfamiliar of.

Seige Etiquette (Katie Cotugno) // 2 stars
Print Shop (Nina LaCour) // 3 stars
Hourglass (Ibi Ziboi) // 2 stars
Click (Katherine McGee) // 5 stars (VERY UNIQUE AND A FUN SPIN TO THE FUTURISTIC EARTH)
The Intern (Sara Shepard) // 4 stars
Somewhere That's Green (Meredith Russo) // 2 stars
The Way We Love Here (Dhonielle Clayton) // 5 stars (DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE! ACHINGLY BEAUTIFUL)
Oomph (Emery Lord) // 3 stars
The Dictionary of You and Me (Jennifer L. Armentrout) // 4 stars (LIBRARY! BOOKS! LOVE STORY!)
The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love (Jocelyn Davies) // 4 stars (BASICALLY THE BETTER VERSION OF THE PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT)
259 Million Miles (Kass Morgan) // 3 stars
Something Real (Julie Murphy) // 4 stars (PLOT TWIST EVERY TURN OF THE STORY! IT WAS A HILARIOUS STORY)
Say Everything (Huntley Fitzpatrick) // 4 stars
The Department of Dead Love (Nicola Yoon) // 5 stars (THIS STORY IS SO UNIQUE AND FUN AND SO SWEET?)

Average rating: 3.7 stars
This was so well done, the order of the books was perfect. Katie Cotugno starts it off, Wolf and Hailey were a favourite of the entire book, they are locked in a bathroom at a party and it has all the awkwardness and cuteness that entails. Huntley Fitzpatrick closes it off really strong, she is such a talent, I can't wait for a new full length from her! This one was incredibly sweet though!! A few other favourites were by Kass Morgan where 2 genius teens are put together to check their compatibility before a possible mission to Mars, it was really funny, and Jennifer Armentrout's story is the absolute sweetest and has libraries and a love for books which just makes it even better!

I read a few stories by new to me authors and am excited all over again about a few old favourites, I'd definitely recommend this anthology, 4 stars!!
A sweet collection of YA romance stories perfect for introducing readers to new authors while enjoying some beloved favorites.
One of the most diverse anthologies I've ever read. Most of the stories were cute and unexpected. some of my favorites were "Print Shop", "Oomph", and "The Department of Dead Love". I loved the representation of POC and lgbt+ in this novel, something that is so so important in well written, realistic stories. It was really captivating, and even though I haven't dived into a book for a little while, I felt like this one held my attention from the very first page. The only negative aspect of this entire anthology was that some of the stories felt way too forced and insta-lovey. otherwise, it was perfect.
You look at the cover and are drawn in by the fact that there are not only a culturally diverse cast of characters, but also various sexualities represented. Then you read the list of contributors. Your jaw keeps dropping at the sight of beloved YA authors. Then you open the book and get lost in the variety of genres contained in its pages. Before you know it, you close the last page and realize that your beloved authors rocked it and you now have a list of authors whose work you now want to explore.
Anthologies are always the hardest piece of literature to rate.

The imense stories that we get to go in & out so quick don't allow me to know the character in a complex way, and one of my favorite part of reading and writing books is the fact that everyone has a different personality.

That being said, I really enjoyed this collection. The stories were overall VERY diverse and the selection of authors is also a plausiable element.

My favorite stories were:

-"Print Shop" by Nina LaCour. I really wish this was a full book, I would totally read it all.
-"Click" by Katharine McGee was really fun due to the tinder aspect of it.
-"Somewhere That's Green" by Meredith Russo because trans girl and a closeted lesbian
While it was a short story collection some ideas seemed much more formed than others. I’d rather have read less stories which were more exciting than more stories which weren’t as good
Meet Cute is an adorable collection of real representations of people and the different kinds of romance stories in this world. I first heard of it earlier this year and I have been extremely excited to pick it up ever since! Not only was the idea creative, but it also features so many amazing authors!

MEET CUTE DEFINITELY LIVED UP TO MY EXPECTATIONS AND IT’S NAME, (It was SO cute and let’s see how many times I can’t avoid that word throughout this world)

I don’t want to give away the amazing short stories so, first, here was a list of the stories in order of the stories I liked the most. (Though I enjoyed all of them and even though I chose an order I love them all so much and the order changes with every moment!)
1. The Unlikely Likelihood Of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davis //I CAN’T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT (also want someone to do this irl) CUTE
2. The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout // A cute and romantic story! Perfect for all book lovers!
3. Print Shop by Nina LaCour
11. The Intern by Sara Shepard
12. Somewhere That’s Green by Meredith Russo
13. Something Real by Julie Murphy’s
14. Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno
​I was SO happy to see representation of the LGBT community (as it’s not often in cutesy contemporary stories). They also didn’t have perfect endings, or rather, had realistic endings. Ones that were left to the readers to continue and dream of these cute interactions.

As one of my most highly anticipated books ( I have had the poster hanging on my bedroom wall since may after yallwest ) it’s amazing to know that I WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING DISAPPOINTED. In fact, even with so much anticipation my heart strings were tugged on, and I was a bundle of feels when reading this. This collection also was such a quick and easy read yet so full of beautifully written gems that I plan to read OVER AND OVER and when the book is published (January 2nd 2018- SAVE THE DATE) don’t forget to check it out! You won’t regret it!
This book was fine. Frankly, I'd read novels about most of these stories. But reading this helped me learn that I'm not particularly interested in just beginnings - I want middles and ends.

I particularly loved Nicola Yoon's though!
Meet Cute is unlike anything I've ever read before. The stories come from 14 different authors that typically write Young Adult novels and in this collection of stories there is something for everyone to enjoy. I'm going to be honest here, the book starts with Katie Contugo's story and I didn't get it at first. I wasn't liking it that much and felt that way for the first three stories in the book but after finishing each story I found myself wanting more; of the characters, the story, and the budding romance. I think this is exactly what the authors of these stories were aiming to do with this collection of short stories and I think they did it wonderfully. My favorite stories in the book were: Click by Katharine McGee which has a slightly modern and futuristic take on Tinder, The Intern by Sara Shepard which is a fluffy piece about being lonely and about how its okay not to always be the strong one, and lastly i really enjoyed The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L Armentrout which is a super fluff of a librarian worker and a shy new boy in town. There are only a few issues i had with this book. The main issue was the random mix of the high concept stories which i found slightly confusing and hard to follow in such a short story. The only reason I am giving this a 4/5 is because of the fact I did just skim read through two of the higher concept stories since i couldn't wrap my head around some of the slight world building in such a short amount of time. Overall I would recommend this book to any YA reader who needs something fluffy and fun to read and who enjoys multiple authors, writing styles, and views.

Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
I have to say, some of these stories made me think that I don't like meet cutes as much as I thought I did. Some of them were so full of insta-love and non sense that I wasn't on board with. But there were some of them that made total sense to me. That weren't condescending towards the reader, thinking that we were going to believe that two people would fall in love with each other in two minutes. That made me believe every interaction and every moment that these characters spent together. My favourite thing about this collection is that it was super diverse. There were a lot of LGBTQ+ stories and a lot of them had characters of colour.
Here are all the stories:

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno 2☆
I didn't like this story. The romance didn't make sense and I didn't understand why it was told in the second person, there wasn't a reason for that and it wasn't well executed in my opinion.

Print shop by Nina LaCour 5☆
This was a big change from the first story. I loved everything about this: the queer f/f romance, the setting in the print shop, all the conflict that they had and I related to it because I also manage social media accounts. I would also like to meet a cute girl complaining in one of my clients' accounts.

Hourglass by Ibi Zoboi 2☆
I don't have a lot to say about this since not a lot happened. I was bored all the time and I didn't like the meet cute since there wasn't any build up for it. I liked the black and fat representation but that was the only think that had going for it to be honest.

Click by Katharine McGee 5☆
This is definitely my favourite story. It was very thought provoking which is hard to accomplish in the few pages that it had. It made me want to see a movie of it, it was definitely cute, loved the concept of a futuristic Tinder and I wanted them to be together since the beginning. I would 100% read a super long book about this but it was executed beautifully as a short story as well.

The Intern by Sara Shepard 1☆
I don't remember this one that much so I don't have a lot to say. It was cute but not memorable at all.

Somewhere That's Green by Meredith Russo 4☆
This was absolutely fantastic, loved the trans and lesbian representation. The meet cute and the f/f romance was adorable. I loved that it tackled important subjects especially the gendered toilets. What I don't like is that Meredith Russo always has to have this public confessions or demonstrations and I'm not a big fan of them especially when it's not discussed beforehand.

The Way We Love Here by Dhonielle Clayton 4☆
The idea for this story was absolutely fantastic, the different directions this story took blew my mind, it made me root for the couple and it made me feel a lot of emotions. I actually cried and it touched my heart so much. I would love for Dhonielle Clayton to explore this story more because it has SO MUCH potential.

Oomph by Emery Lord 4.5☆
This was the cutest thing ever. I would devour this if it were a long book as well (I know, I'm saying that about a lot of these). I'm a big fan of airport stories especially when people have to wait there for a long time so they have time to talk and get to know each other. Love the f/f representation and the conversations that they had. It made me wonder what happened after.

The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout. 3☆
Loved the fact that this took place in a library. It was basically something that a lot of bookworms would like. It seemed kind of basic to me to be honest. It was nothing super exciting.

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davis 3☆
Loved that this reinforced the place of women in STEM and that they talked about gender equality a lot. I didn't think it was very realistic though and also it bothered me that she did all that work and at the end, it was all for nothing as a result of that. It seemed kind of pointless.

259 million times by Kass Morgan 3☆
This was incredibly beautiful. I totally believed the romance and I liked that we had a male character with social anxiety. I related a lot to that part of his personality. I think this plot could have been explored further but I liked what we got and the bittersweet ending.

Something Real by Julie Murphy 5☆
This was everything I wanted in my life. Two girls compete to win a date with a famous guy who end up dating each other. Love this a lot. I hate to admit that Julie Murphy is growing on me more and more. There was bisexual representation and biracial rep too. Fantastic and fun!

Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick 3/5
The second person POV worked much better in this story in my opinion. The writing was good but the story didn't grab me that much. It wasn't interesting if we didn't know more of the context.

The Department of Dead Love by Nicole Yoon 4.5☆
This was gorgeous! Love the idea, I think it was a bit cheesy and obvious but it was something I had never seen before. I liked that we had black characters and that we got to know a lot about their lives even if the story was short. I didn't believe the ending that much. I think this would have probably worked better as a longer book since it didn't feel realistic that the main character would get over his girlfriend that fast after being in love with her for so long. But I get that they didn't have that much time and I would have shipped it with more story.
As the title says, the stories were cute contemporaries. Of course I liked a few more than others since there is different authors. My favorite story was by Katharine McGee! Overall I enjoyed reading it and would recommend.