Carry Me Home

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Nov 2017

Could not get into this one. It is depicted as a YA, but the point of view switched to the mother by the second chapter. It should be labeled as an adult because of that unexpected shift.

It's one thing to highlight sensitive, realistic issues and completely other to not address them in the rightful manner, even though the story is fictional. Just centering a story around gang problems, loads of violence and rape, is not enough to weave a story that would connect to readers. I would've much preferred a single problem that would've been dealt with at the end, even if only for the possibility left open, rather than three characters who're all drowning in their own sadness and the plot not going anywhere forward.

The characters are under-developed and start ranting, whining and complaining before I can even care for them. Lucy and Ruth's mother has...

See Full Review

First things first I’m going to give everyone a trigger warning as I wished I had got one when I picked this up, so a trigger warning for: abuse, rape, drug use, violence.
I didn’t like this book, believe me I <i>tried</i> but every time this book had something good happen it took two steps back. It’d told from three different POV’s, Lucy and Ruth and their mom. Lucy was really the main character as most of the story revolved around her and what happens in her life and Ruth and the Mom’s POV is trying to start a new life for themselves while dealing with what Lucy is doing.
I was expecting this book to be violent since I knew it was about gangs but I didn’t expect all the...

See Full Review
Carry Me Home really sticks true to its title. The captivity and pace of this novel was very pleasing and interesting. This novel was refreshing and relatable due to the different perspective of having a first person pov from the main characters' mother which is not typically seen within a young adult genre. The differences between the characters and the diversity was very well planned out. Nothing felt cliche or stereotypical and the story was both heartbreaking and true. This novel is going to be such a treasure for all readers.
Carry Me Home is a fast-paced novel that takes you along on a family journey into darkness and redemption. An eye-opening page turner that weaves together family ties, friends, hope, self-destructiveness, and second chances. This story will stick with you long after you read the last page.
While I found the synopsis and general of this novel pretty good, I had a really hard time connecting with this book. Even though I struggled through it, the life lesson and hard truths sprinkled throughout are great.

Carry Me Home was not what I was expecting. I saw the pretty cover and the fact that it is YA and thought it would be a nice story. After reading the description, I became aware of a few red flags, but I still thought “it’s YA so it can’t be THAT bad”. I feel like I needed a stronger warning. I started reading and not long after that I realized this book is heavy. Once I figured out what I was getting into, I wanted to put it down. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go down this rabbit hole. For some reason however, I found that I cared enough about the characters to find out what was going to happen, so I kept reading.

These poor women. The mom didn’t have enough sense or self confidence to be...

See Full Review
The book was ok, but it's my my kind of book. I feel like the character was asking like someone she wasn't. I didn't feel like it was genuine. So I couldn't really get into the story, that I actually stopped reading.

This book was not at all what I expected, but I really enjoyed it!

This story was an intense rollercoaster at times. There were a lot of serious situations, involving drugs and gangs. These things were even more scary since the story is told from multiple first person perspectives so we get the firsthand account of what was happening.

I liked how the stories of the two sisters were often conflicting. One would be in a gang fight, while the other was out camping among the wildflowers. These dueling images highlighted the different lifestyles of the sisters and created great tension.

I didn’t think that the cover of the book suits the story. The light blues and pinks make it appear to be...

See Full Review

This was an intense story. I must admit I couldn't stand Lucy's character. It pissed me off that she would constantly place herself into gangs and live a dangerous lifestyle. I mean, I know teens can be rebellious and that in real life many fall into the wrong crowd after growing up in a bad neighborhood or having gone through terrible situations. But in Lucy's case, I felt like she was just a spoiled, attention-seeking brat that constantly put her sister and mother through hell. Then again, the mother was a whole other situation.

This woman wasn't the best, and her lack of self-worth kept her from her true potential as well as hindered her ability to parent. Lucy...

Carry Me Home by Jessica Therrien

I really enjoyed this book! It was exciting and fast pace but the closer you got to the end it seemed a little rushed! I wish it would have gave more details on what happen to the other characters in the book, specially Angel and Ro!! I loved how she told the story from Lucy, Ruth and her mom! I always wonder what the other characters are thinking!!

4 Stars!!!

i had absolutely no idea what this book was about when i signed up to review it on this blog tour. i loved the cover art. i am not ashamed to admit that i will pick a book up simply because of its cover.

truth be told, jessica almost lost me in the first few chapters. i know absolutely nothing of gang culture or lingo and some of that was hard for me to follow at first. i’m glad i powered through those first chapters though.

i really liked this book.

it is marketed as a YA book, and while i agree that it would be appropriate for a mature YA audience, i will say it isn’t going to be for everyone. it is gritty, violent, and graphic.

i loved the dichotomy of the small town girls moving to...

See Full Review

Carry Me Home is the story of a young woman finding her way home again. Lucy & Ruth are two teenage country girls from a broken family. With their mother Rachel, they run from their dead-beat father to San Jose, California. It's there that Lucy turns to a group of old friends for comfort but not everything goes as planned and they are forced to move yet again to Glendale after a bad incident with Lucy and her friends.

As Lucy struggles with what had happened in San Jose, it's when she meets yet another group of friends that will ultimately lead her down a dark path. With Ruth and Rachel trying to save Lucy before it's too late, it will come down to Lucy to want to save...

See Full Review
I was so ready to love this book as soon as I read the description. This is in my go-to genre, but I was very surprised to find that I wasn't able to predict the story. Heartwrenching and suspenseful.
This book was mostly engaging. It was fascinating to see it from several different viewpoints. The only downside is that I had a tough time staying interested in the first few chapters. Once I got about 1/4 of the way through the book, it got better and I really enjoyed the way the book turned out. My only suggestion would be drawing the reader in faster. Otherwise I thought it was great!
this was an amazing book I loved it from the start! lately I have been craving a book that is new and unique. carry me home is exactly that! I especially liked that you got to hear from the point of view from the mom and sister not just one person. this gave me a chance to understand were the mom was coming from and what she was going through in order to start their lives over again. reading about and understanding how easy it is for any vulnerable adolescent to be completely sucked in is really scary. I loved and appreciated the honesty in this book you felt for every character and I really loved the cover! defiantly a fantastic read I highly recommend!

I received an ARC from NetGalley to read and review. The below is my honest, unbiased opinion. Thank you, Jessica Therrien, the publisher, and NetGalley, for allowing me to review.

Lucy and Ruth are country girls from a broken home. When they move to the city with their mother, leaving behind their family ranch and dead-beat father, Lucy unravels. They run to their grandparents’ place, a trailer park mobile home in the barrio of San Jose. Lucy’s barrio friends have changed since her last visit. They’ve joined a gang called VC. They teach her to fight, to shank, to beat a person unconscious and play with guns. When things get too heavy, and lives are at stake, the three girls head for LA...

See Full Review
Review copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. So inspiring! This gripped me and held me till the very end! This book consumed me and I finished it in one day, it was so good! If you want a book to keep you on the edge of your seat, go read this NOW! You're welcome.

This book told the story of Lucy, Ruth and their mom. Those three characters had each a point of view. However, Lucy was still the main character, most of the story revolved around her and the chapters in her point of view were the most frequent and usually the longest.
The book starts with Lucy and Ruth’s mom fighting with their father who is drunk. When he pushes her and she falls, she decides she has had enough and leaves him, taking away the girls to her parents’ place in San Jose.
Arrived there, Lucy who has always been closer to her father is angry and reconnects with her summer friend, Ro. Except Ro has changed since the year before and she has joined a gang. Lucy gets in the...

See Full Review

*Trigger warning for rape, drug abuse, and gang violence.*

Musings:

Filled with suspense and lots of action, Carry Me Home is the tale of two sisters torn apart by ones choice to hang out with the wrong crowd. Mostly this book is about Lucy. Lucy who gets caught up with gangs and spirals downward into situations that could have ended in her death more then once.

Told in both a small town and a larger city the dynamics of both places add to flavor of this novels brand of fear. What was really cool for me was that the city it takes part in is Glendale, California where I had lived for most of my life. It was nice to read and see how well the author described my home town and what it’s like...