Carry Me Home

Pub Date   |   Archive Date Not set

This was an emotional and addictive read. I believe it will do well with fans of Ellen Hopkins (thematically not stylistically). The writing was a bit simplistic but it packed a very strong emotional punch.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Acorn Publishing. All opinions are my own. Carry Me Home is a beautifully written novel that follows a family of three women, each trying to escape their own reality in different ways. I found myself able to identify with all three women at different times throughout the novel. These three characters became so real to me throughout reading that I felt as if I could touch them. Jessica Therrien breathes life into these women with her artfully crafted prose. Although there were times where this novel was filled with action and edge-of-your-seat scenes, I would not refer to the pacing as fast. The point of view switches made it easy to...

See Full Review
A very emotional journey of three women (two teens and their mom) trying to make it through various hardships. Some of their decisions lead to consequences they are not ready to deal with. Some of the book feels like an amalgamation of the stories of multiple people or else just a condensed timeline of events.
Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC of this book. This book made my stomach twist & turn in the worst of ways. Having a daughter myself, it just tore me to bits thinking of how things can play out in someone's life. The story came to life in the pages of this book and I think it'll take me a little time to recover from the intensity of it. My only criticism would've been to get more from the epilogue! Definitely worth reading, but know that it's not an easy, light hearted read.
This was very well written, with a great plot and characters that I connected with. Thank you netgalley for this arc for an honest review.

Carry me home by Jessica Therrien. Lucy and Ruth are country girls from a broken home. When they move to the city with their mother, leaving behind their family ranch and dead-beat father, Lucy unravels.They run to their grandparents’ place, a trailer park mobile home in the barrio of San Jose. Lucy’s barrio friends have changed since her last visit. They’ve joined a gang called VC. They teach her to fight, to shank, to beat a person unconscious and play with guns. When things get too heavy, and lives are at stake, the three girls head for LA seeking a better life.But trouble always follows Lucy. She befriends the wrong people, members of another gang, and every bad choice she makes drags...

See Full Review

When I was in high school...or middle school, I forget which one, I came across a book by Omar Tyree called Flyy Girl. It was a favorite of mine growing up and to this day I still pull off the shelf or pull up on my reader, this book, ' Carry Me Home', Reminded me a lot of this book. Carry Me Home is a book that gives you a glimpse into the gritty world of what can happen when you don't keep a close eye on your children. It is so easy to become lost when you are a teenager, especially when your parents suddenly split and you are thrust into a new environment. Lucy (Guera) finds herself in situation after situation that pushes her down a dark path. She finds herself being initiated...