Playing by Heart

Pub Date   |   Archive Date Not set

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I had never yet read about the Milan nobility. Loved the devotion found within the family and the string focus on education. Finding it was based off of true characters was just an added bonus
Well written, this book will keep you wondering what will happen to the main characters, and hoping for a happy ending.

Emilia loves music, and she's worked hard to develop her skill. She hopes that by excelling her Father will finally recognize her use and not send her to a convent. Will she have to sacrifice her heart to save her sister? I found it fascinating that Emilia and Maria are based on two sisters from history. Emilia seemed true to life, especially in her dealings with her sister. That sense of rivalry, in wanting to shine more than her older sister, was completely understandable. They behaved like sisters, and I really liked that. Emilia's drive to perfect her talent was fun to watch. There are supernatural aspects to the story, which did lower how much I enjoyed the story. I also wasn't...

See Full Review
I was highly intrigued by this book, the blurb although tells you pretty much what to expect captured my attention. I was so happy when I got it, but not long into the book, I realised that it would be so hard for me to read and get into the story. For one the writing is so two dimensional, and I had to force myself to continue reading rather than not giving up. Also, the story fell into the cliche trap so often and didn't move me; I couldn't connect with the story or the characters which make for a bland read.