Hurricane Season

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 May 2018

Charming, flawed and heartwarming characters that were so relatable that I felt their every emotion. An interesting plot that kept me thoroughly engaged throughout. I enjoyed every minute of this book!
A very thrilling fast paced read. I totally enjoyed it. Looking forward to upcoming books by the author

Many thanks to NetGalley and publisher for supplying my copy of the book in exchange of an honest and unbiased review
Hurricane Season by Lauren K. Denton is the perfect read for someone who wants a mix of drama and real life issues mixed with a wide array of characters who are lovable and easy to relate to. I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamics between Jenna and Betsy (sisters), but I also really liked the exploration of the relationship between Betsy and her husband, Ty. Overall, this novel was an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more books by Denton in the future.
Thank you NetGalley and publishers for providing a digital copy of this novel for review.  This is a solid read.  Great characters, believable struggles, and a hopeful ending that doesn't feel too neat and tidy.  Sisters Jenna and Betsy grew up close, perhaps forged together as a result of somewhat absent (or at least less than ideally involved) parents.  As the younger sister, Jenna is a bit more brash, and ends up making decisions that leave her ricocheting through life, and Betsy, older, more careful and steady, is always there to pick up the pieces.   As Jenna tries to recapture something she feels she lost along the way, she leaves her two small daughters in the care of her sister, reopening wounds Betsy has tried to keep in their place.  Overall, a book about weathering storms...hurricanes, and those that life throws at us all.
Here is a book about real life issues that just falls short. It was a slow read. The plot was solid but I caught myself skimming
Moving story of motherhood, family, and the realization that the life you want is worth fighting for.
Thomas Nelson and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Hurricane Season.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Hurricane Season is a novel about families, about the ties that have the power to bind them closer together or allow them to drift apart.  Betsy and Ty Franklin are the owners of a dairy farm, living a hard life but a very fulfilling one.  They yearn for a family to call their own, so fertility issues have been causing a crack in their marriage that may not ever be filled.  Betsy's sister Jenna, a single mother with two kids, trying to make ends meet, gets the opportunity of a lifetime.  Will she choose to follow her head or her heart?  Will her sister Betsy help Jenna to realize her dreams?

The author does a very good job of driving home the point that family bonds are unique, in that they can remain strong despite hardship, frustration, and disappointment.  Hurricane Season was a good book, describing the daily life on a dairy farm and how the weather has the power to destroy all that farmers work hard to gain. The blurbs about the hurricane season at the beginning of each chapter highlight the issues that stem from a coming storm, which ties nicely in with the title.  There were a couple of points that I found to be unrealistic, especially in regards to the retreat and the lack of communication with the outside world.  The proprietors of the program would be a lifeline to the community beyond and would have been more forthcoming with the residents of the retreat regarding the worsening weather conditions.  Overall, the book had a nice flow and the characters were well developed.  Hurricane Season was a good, solid read and one I would recommend to readers who like women's fiction.
Betsy and Ty run a dairy farm in southern Alabama and for the most part are happy with the life they chose.  Except that they have no children.  Betsy's sister Jenna is a photographer and drops off her two daughters to attend a workshop.  As a major hurricane is forming in the gulf the lives of Betsy and Ty are enhanced by the girls in their life.  Surviving the storm becomes paramount in all their lives.  Good story of accepting life and dealing with family.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Betsy and her sister, Jenna, operate in different worlds of thinking of others.  Jenna is a single mom with 2 young daughters, supposed them as a barista.  Her early photography career dreams were set aside for a couple youthful decisions.  Betsy, college-educated and career bound, spends her days at the dairy farm she owns and runs jointly with her husband, Ty.  Betsy, it seems, has always taken care of Jenna.  This time Jenna needs a big favor of Betsy and Ty caring for their 2 nieces while Jenna attends a 2-week workshop.  Childless, not for lack of trying, Betsy and Ty take in the 2 young girls and their lives face upheaval and the need to face some hard facts.
At the retreat workshop center, Jenna has much time to self-reflect though she has lost much self-confidence in the day-to-day grind of the job and caring for the girls.  The girls are in an idyllic setting at the farm where they can play and grow and love.
The hurricane season behind the book brings storms close and an eventual hurricane to the town.  It is symbolic of the emotions boiling over in Betsy and Ty.  It’s a great story.
Following the married life between Betsy and Ty and the fractured sister relationship between Betsy and Jenna, this novel covers a range of heartbreaking topics, with the added pressure of a hurricane arriving. Many tears were shed- a cracking read!
Hurricane Season is the story of how one simple storm can change everything for two sisters. Betsy and her husband, Ty are diary farm owners with a simple dream to have a baby of their own but nothing is going as planned. Until Betsy's younger sister, Jenna shows up unannounced with her two young daughters with the plan to attend this retreat in the woods by herself. As we go back and forth between different view points from Betsy, Jenna and Ty; you can't help but to feel for each one of these people for what they are doing and what they had to do in the past to get them to this pivotal moment.

Then you add this Hurricane into the mix that threatens Betsy's and Ty's livelihood just at the right time for everything to change for everyone. It took a bad storm for everyone to figure out what they need to do in order to survive and find that happy place they always dreamed of. Plus, that ending will leave you with a happy tear in your eye!

The only thing I asked myself while reading this book is why have I not noticed this Author until now? This book has everything I love in a good read, it's set in the South, it deals with a hard issues and it brings a little craziness to the situation. For nearly the entire book I wasn't pleased with Jenna but by the end, she won me over for what she had to do in order to provide for those girls of hers.

If there is one book that will get you hooked on this Author, this book is it and you won't regret it!!

Thank You to Lauren K. Denton for this awesome read that made me become a fan of yours from this day forward!!

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley!
Betsy and Ty Franklin, owners of Franklin Dairy Farm in southern Alabama, have long since buried their desire for children of their own. While Ty manages their herd of dairy cows, Betsy busies herself with the farm’s day-to-day operations and tries to forget her dream of motherhood. But when her free-spirited sister, Jenna, drops off her two young daughters for “just two weeks,” Betsy’s carefully constructed wall of self-protection begins to crumble.

As the two weeks stretch deeper into the Alabama summer, Betsy and Ty learn to navigate the new additions in their world—and revel in the laughter that now fills their home. Meanwhile, record temperatures promise to usher in the most active hurricane season in decades.

Attending an art retreat four hundred miles away, Jenna is fighting her own battles. She finally has time and energy to focus on her photography, a lifelong ambition. But she wonders how her rediscovered passion can fit in with the life she’s made back home as a single mom.

When Hurricane Ingrid aims a steady eye at the Alabama coast, Jenna must make a decision that will change her family’s future, even as Betsy and Ty try to protect their beloved farm and their hearts. Hurricane Season is the story of one family’s unconventional journey to healing—and the relationships that must be mended along the way.

***************************************************************************************

REVIEW

I'm so glad that I got to read this author and I'll be reading her in the future.  This book was the best book I've read in a while and it left me with a really good feeling at the end of it.  I don't often get to say that about a book and I'm glad that I got to read it.  Jenna was an absolute sweetheart and Betsy and Ty made for an interesting part of the story.  This had me at the very first chapter.  When I see this author has another book - I will definitely be requesting or buying it.
Trying to make a living is not easy and certainly not for dairy farmers.
Meet Betsy and Ty Franklin Dairy Farm Owners in Alabama trying to put the past behind till Betsy's sis Jenna pays a visit.
Jenna not only visits but leaves her two young daughters Addie and Walsh behind while she goes to a 2 week art retreat in Florida.
Sounds of laughter now floods the hallways while Jenna uncovers some disturbing truths.
As Jenna is on the road travelling her life begins to turn falling into shambles that may alter the future for her and her girls.
Than the unthinkable weather event -- Hurricane Ingrid-- grabs on and rips the landscape apart.
All they have is one another...but will that be enough?
What matters most is at the heart of it all..
A gripping, heartfelt, emotional story that will leave you right in the 'eye of the storm.'
Thank you Lauren, her publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC copy in exchange for this honest review.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I was immediately drawn to the cover and the description on the back. The book was okay but moved a little slow for me. I liked the story okay and it was well written, I just wish the pace was a little faster.
Sometime ago, I read a book by Lauren K. Denton titled The Hideaway.  Because I read so many books, I couldn't remember the name of the book I had already read, but I remembered that I told myself to jump at the chance to read any future books she might release.  When I saw Hurricane Season by Lauren K. Denton available for review, I quickly seized the opportunity!  As it turns out, my mom, Gloria (who also reviews some of the books provided to me), happened to have a free moment to review this book faster than I would be able to, so I gave her the pleasure.  Here's what Gloria had to say:

"With this second Lauren K. Denton novel, Hurricane Season in your hands, get some sweet tea ready as you make yourself comfortable on the porch swing because you will be reading one of the most heartwarming stories of love, family relationships, second chances, reconciliation, acceptance, and healing that you've read in a long time. The very believable characters are sisters Jenna and Betsy Franklin and Betsy’s husband, Ty.  Two sisters - so complete opposites - each with different hopes and dreams

Betsy is the oldest of the sisters. She's reliable and dependable, and she and her husband, Ty, are happy working hard together to keep their dairy farm going.  The Southern Alabama farm has been in Ty’s family for several years. Their one disappointment is that they have been unable to have children after 5 years of marriage.  Betsy carries a deep hurt inside and never talks about how much pain she is feeling.

Then there's Jenna - a free-spirited, single mother to daughters, Addie and Walsh.  She works at a coffee shop to support her family. Jenna wants to attend the Halcyon artist retreat to work on photography, so she asks Betsy to keep Addie and Walsh for two weeks.  Betsy doesn’t talk to her husband Ty before she promptly says yes to Jenna’s request.

When Jenna drops the girls off at Betsy and Ty’s farm, Betsy thought she had her sadness and pain under control but she finds that living with the girls causes it all to come back in her mind.  The two weeks that Jenna had requested then turn into months, causing Betsy to suffer with feelings of inadequacy. Betsy refuses to talk to Ty about her feelings and he's so worried about her. Ty is suffering too, and they find the situation affecting their marriage.

In the meantime a huge storm seems to be brewing and it i headed their way.  Hurricane Ingrid hits the Alabama coastline and threatens their lives.  The relationship between the sisters is nearly ripped apart.  Jenna must make a decision.  Ty and Betsy are trying to save their dairy farm while repairing their relationship.

This novel is exactly what I love—a southern setting, great characters, and a good plot that flows through.  Lauren K. Denton is becoming one of my favorite authors and I am looking forward to reading more of her books.  I can hardly wait!!"

As an aside, I have asked my mother to hold this book for me, because I definitely want to read it.
This book was definitely adored. Lauren Denton wrote a well-crafted layered book that produced a soft story involving family. I enjoy those kind of books showing family dynamics and how people endure them. Domestic fiction has become a fav genre of mine and I appreciated the opportunity to have read this book.
Just a bit too slow for me.  Well-written and beautiful character development.  However, I needed something where the storyline carried me to the end.  I felt I struggled to it.
Contemporary Fiction
Adult
Sisters Jenna and Betsy were close growing up, but have grown distant as adults. Betsy and Ty operate Franklin Dairy Farm in Mobile, Alabama, struggling with their relationship as they have been unable to conceive. Meanwhile, Jenna is a single mum in Nashville, raising two sweet girls on a barista’s salary. When a mentor offers Jenna the chance to reconnect with her photography passion, she decides to take it. But the girls will need looking after for a couple of weeks, and Jenna pressures her older sister to help out. Betsy gives in, without telling Ty, who is distracted by the pending hurricane season as well as the usual farmer troubles with tractors and calving. To be honest, nothing much happens in this novel – it’s a character study more than anything, but it’s still a captivating read. Most of the story is from Betsy’s point of view, though we also get POVs from Jenna and to a lesser extent, Ty. I really liked that Denton didn’t cast Jenna as a selfish person choosing personal/artistic fulfillment over responsibility – that would have been quite easy to do. She gives the 20-something sister a full voice, motivated by a desire to give her daughters a better life and model for them what she’d never received from her own parents – encouragement and confidence. I do enjoy southern fiction – this is a languid read that encourages slow enjoyment of the story, preferably in a shady spot with a lemonade or chilled amber beer at your side. Metaphors abound – hens whose eggs are for food rather than reproduction, impacting children’s lives through school visits to the farm, and even making potato salad – combining separate things to make something new and whole and one might argue, better than the individual parts. The titular threat of a hurricane hangs over the book, but the real story here is about relationships – everyone wants things better, so you can’t even say they are stormy. A relaxing summer read with slow pacing and more character than plot. My thanks to publisher Thomas Nelson for the advance reading copy provided digitally through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
More discussion and reviews of this novel: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39085216
Her first book, The Hideaway, was a great southern fiction read. This book delivered a dose of southern country living, mixed in with some intense family dynamics. Another good read from this author. Also, I don't know who does her covers, but each one has made me swoon.
Families have spells of fighting. And often times they to go through the hurricane before they can mend the fences that have been built up due to anger.