The Christmas Cowboy Hero

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Nov 2017

This was a good book but not something I found myself enjoying. I did not finish this book.
A sweet Christmas story with a cowboy/ former Navy Seal? That's a double whammy right there.
Fantastic main characters, aswell as secondary characters. I was thrilled that it was a true romance. The drama was from outside sources, not anything to do with their relationship. No ow/om situations for the sake of drama.

- no cheating
- no ow/om drama
- no violence of a sexual nature
-a few steamy scenes (could have used a bit more)
- safe
Another winner by Donna Grant. Clayton and Abby were amazing together. I read this book in one day.

Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Oddly enough, I read this story right on the heels of another book that was eerily similar. I mean, they were two books where there was a “wounded” cowboy recently returned to the home ranch. There there was the heroine who is taking care of her younger brother (as in legal guardian). And said cowboy steps in as a role model to the troubled young man. OK.. that’s where the similarities end. But I have to admit that I kept comparing the two books as I read. In the end, The Christmas Cowboy Hero did come out the “winner” as it was a more well-rounded story with a little suspense and it tugged...

See Full Review

Donna Grant, one of my favorite paranormal authors, has taken another shot at a contemporary series, set in the steamy and sexy landscape of a Texas cattle ranch and this time she scores big. Her last foray into contemporary was not my favorite series, but I really liked this book and can say for sure that I am removing her from the typecasting of “paranormal author”. This series is set on the East Ranch and revolves around the East family, focusing on the sexy oldest son Clayton, a former Navy SEAL who has returned home to help his family when some strange goings on leave his family in dire straits. Being home for only a short time Clayton soon uncovers a cattle rustling operation has...

See Full Review

The Christmas Cowboy Hero is the first book in Donna Grant’s new Heart of Texas series. Clayton East took a job as a game warden in South Africa after he had resigned his commission as a SEAL. He knew that his experiences had changed him in a way he wasn’t eager for his parents to see. But when he gets a call from his mom telling him his dad has had a mini stroke and she needs him home.

When he gets home he finds things are even worse than he thought with the ranch. Their accountant has embezzled a great sum, a seventy head cattle herd has been stolen, as well as their top stud bull. These events appear to have led to his dad’s illness.

Abby Harper has spent the last eight years...

See Full Review
for me this was not a great read.
I didn't find this story believable. Also in the age of #MeToo I felt uncomfortable reading about a romance developing where a man offers the woman a job then hits on her.

I have voluntarily posted a review consisting of my honest opinions.
I found it very difficult to engage myself in the story line or characters. I found the writing to be flat. I was 30 percent into the book and couldn't find myself to finish it. I rated it here, but found it unfair to rate it on goodreads or amazon as I didn't finish the book. Not fair in my opinion.

With that I would like to also say the tone of the book seemed almost monotone. But will try the is author again.
Ex-Navy Seal Clayton East had to come home to his family’s ranch after his father’s health declines. Abby Harper has been taking care of her younger brothers since her mother left them. When her brother’s rebellion goes too far, she’s grateful that Clayton believes in second chances. Maybe this bad event is exactly what her family needed.
This was a very sweet book. I loved both of the main characters. They are exactly what the other needs. I loved how he and his parents were able to embrace Abby and her brothers. I highly recommend.
 **I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
A warm-hearted Christmas story with a sexy edge. I thought the mash-up of rugged western cowboy and steely military man was extremely well-done. The characters were well-rounded and fully-fleshed, and the plot was action-packed. With off-the-charts chemistry and the beloved HEA, this was an excellent introduction to Donna Grant for me, and I can't wait to check out the rest of her books!
How sweet is it to have 2 people who are struggling to find themselves and be there for the people they love at the same time to find happiness together. Though she has worked hard to raise her brothers she has also struggled to do the right thing and find happiness for herself. And though he thought he was better off away from his family as to not have the painful reminders of the past it is wonderful for him to come home and help his family and find his place in the world again. Such hope and happiness to be brought during the holiday season. And a little bit of action and mystery to add to it is a great combination.
This was another great book to read. I love Christmas reads. Nancy is a great author to read!!

I loved this story about a cowboy and a young woman taking care of her brothers falling in love. Abby is learning to let her brothers be and focus on herself a little more. She realises she needs to take care of herself too and, more importantly, she needs to get over her abandonment issues and learn to trust that people won’t always leave. Clayton, for his part, needs to adjust to being home again around people he knows and loves and vice verso. He needs to stop being a loner, put his bad experiences behind him and deal with his brother’s death from years before that he never really got over. They slowly develop their feelings for each other, denying them at first but eventually giving in...

See Full Review

The Christmas Cowboy Hero is the first book in the new Heart of Texas series. Set in Clearview, Texas, this book focuses on the cattle and ranching industry, a staple of Texas with some long-running, large family ranches.

Clayton East is an ex-Navy SEAL now working in Africa protecting big game from poachers. After separating from the military, he purposefully did not return home to the East Ranch. Being there brings back reminders and is too painful. Shortly before Christmas, he gets a call he can't keep ignoring: his dad isn't doing well and the ranch is in trouble.

Upon arriving home, Clayton discovers the East Ranch is a mess. Their accountant has disappeared with...

See Full Review

A warrior and a cowboy…”

The Christmas Cowboy Hero marks the debut of Donna Grant’s new contemporary adult western Heart of Texas series. Donna has posted that it is also her very first Christmas story. I’m a huge fan of Donna’s Dark Dragon Kings series – so it was a given that I’d pick up this new series from her. I mean… cowboys and Christmas – what’s not to love? This first installment is the story of ex-Navy SEAL and prodigal son Clayton East and accounting clerk Abby Harper. Their story is told from several third person perspectives – including those of Clayton and Abby.

Abby has had her hands full raising her two younger brothers and keeping a roof over their heads after their...

RATING: 4 STARS
(I received an ARC from the PUBLISHER via NETGALLEY)
(Review Not on Blog)

As soon as I accepted this review, I kicked myself as I wasn't sure if this would really be my type of book. Contemporary romance can be a hit or miss for me and I feel bad when it's a miss. Phew, I really enjoyed this novel! There is a sweet romance, a small town and a bit of mystery - all of my favourite things in romances.

Clayton, a former Navy-Seal, is back home trying to get the family ranch out of the red. Their longtime accountant retired and left the business to his son. His son took the ranch's money and ran. Now Clayton is trying to find him and figure out how to...

See Full Review
This absolutely a fantastic book. It has suspense and adventure along with a love story. I could hardly put the book down. Well written.

There is nothing better than a hot, sweet cowboy holiday read full of family drama and a touch of suspense.

Clayton East was an ex-Navy Seal who was not quite ready to take on the responsibility of running his family’s ranch. There are too many ghosts for Clayton, the biggest one being the death of his brother. Upon returning home after a frantic call Clayton finds there is some cattle rustling going on causing his family’s ranch to be in trouble.

Abby Harper is a s sweet as they come, having a hard life to start out on from the beginning, she finds her mother has run off and she was left with the task of raising her two brothers. Boys being boys Brice finds himself in over his head...

See Full Review
Sat and read this over the christmas period. It was light hearted and fun and i really enjoyed it. I love cowboy romances and this made me want to pack up and move to a remote ranch in montana.

I discovered Donna Grant about her Hero of Texas series, that I enjoyed a lot. Time to start another one, always in Texas, a different kind of hero. I was captivated from the beginning.

The narrative can be seen as a little slow, but it nonetheless the contrary when it comes to the characters feelings. The author did a great job to give life to these characters. It was heartwarming, full of good feelings vibes, with a hint of emotional due to the characters past and scars.

And oh my if I didn’t like what I was reading. The feeling of being part of a family, when love, friendship and caring about each other takes a great place. Blood related or not. The feeling of being home again, to find...