The Christmas Cowboy Hero

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Nov 2017

I loved this story about a cowboy and a young woman taking care of her brothers falling in love. Abby is learning to let her brothers be and focus on herself a little more. She realises she needs to take care of herself too and, more importantly, she needs to get over her abandonment issues and learn to trust that people won’t always leave. Clayton, for his part, needs to adjust to being home again around people he knows and loves and vice verso. He needs to stop being a loner, put his bad experiences behind him and deal with his brother’s death from years before that he never really got over. They slowly develop their feelings for each other, denying them at first but eventually giving in...

See Full Review

The Christmas Cowboy Hero is the first book in the new Heart of Texas series. Set in Clearview, Texas, this book focuses on the cattle and ranching industry, a staple of Texas with some long-running, large family ranches.

Clayton East is an ex-Navy SEAL now working in Africa protecting big game from poachers. After separating from the military, he purposefully did not return home to the East Ranch. Being there brings back reminders and is too painful. Shortly before Christmas, he gets a call he can't keep ignoring: his dad isn't doing well and the ranch is in trouble.

Upon arriving home, Clayton discovers the East Ranch is a mess. Their accountant has disappeared with...

See Full Review

A warrior and a cowboy…”

The Christmas Cowboy Hero marks the debut of Donna Grant’s new contemporary adult western Heart of Texas series. Donna has posted that it is also her very first Christmas story. I’m a huge fan of Donna’s Dark Dragon Kings series – so it was a given that I’d pick up this new series from her. I mean… cowboys and Christmas – what’s not to love? This first installment is the story of ex-Navy SEAL and prodigal son Clayton East and accounting clerk Abby Harper. Their story is told from several third person perspectives – including those of Clayton and Abby.

Abby has had her hands full raising her two younger brothers and keeping a roof over their heads after their...

RATING: 4 STARS
(I received an ARC from the PUBLISHER via NETGALLEY)
(Review Not on Blog)

As soon as I accepted this review, I kicked myself as I wasn't sure if this would really be my type of book. Contemporary romance can be a hit or miss for me and I feel bad when it's a miss. Phew, I really enjoyed this novel! There is a sweet romance, a small town and a bit of mystery - all of my favourite things in romances.

Clayton, a former Navy-Seal, is back home trying to get the family ranch out of the red. Their longtime accountant retired and left the business to his son. His son took the ranch's money and ran. Now Clayton is trying to find him and figure out how to...

See Full Review
This absolutely a fantastic book. It has suspense and adventure along with a love story. I could hardly put the book down. Well written.

There is nothing better than a hot, sweet cowboy holiday read full of family drama and a touch of suspense.

Clayton East was an ex-Navy Seal who was not quite ready to take on the responsibility of running his family’s ranch. There are too many ghosts for Clayton, the biggest one being the death of his brother. Upon returning home after a frantic call Clayton finds there is some cattle rustling going on causing his family’s ranch to be in trouble.

Abby Harper is a s sweet as they come, having a hard life to start out on from the beginning, she finds her mother has run off and she was left with the task of raising her two brothers. Boys being boys Brice finds himself in over his head...

See Full Review
Sat and read this over the christmas period. It was light hearted and fun and i really enjoyed it. I love cowboy romances and this made me want to pack up and move to a remote ranch in montana.

I discovered Donna Grant about her Hero of Texas series, that I enjoyed a lot. Time to start another one, always in Texas, a different kind of hero. I was captivated from the beginning.

The narrative can be seen as a little slow, but it nonetheless the contrary when it comes to the characters feelings. The author did a great job to give life to these characters. It was heartwarming, full of good feelings vibes, with a hint of emotional due to the characters past and scars.

And oh my if I didn’t like what I was reading. The feeling of being part of a family, when love, friendship and caring about each other takes a great place. Blood related or not. The feeling of being home again, to find...

See Full Review

Clayton East was an ex-Navy Seal who had left the military and returned home when his father had a mini-stroke. His older brother had died tragically on the farm in his early teenager years. He had seen so much death and tragedy that had left him struggling to believe in happy endings. Upon his return home, he also discovered that the farm's long-time CPA had embezzled funds and their bull worth $100,000 along with a 100 head of cattle had been stolen. One person had been caught during the cattle rustling but he wasn't willing to talk and he was only 16 years old. Clayton wanted to make an example of him and get the information he needed about the others involved.

Abby Harper...

See Full Review

The Christmas Cowboy Hero is the first novel in a new series, and it's also the first time I've read a book by this author, and I'm glad to say, it's both a very good start to a new series and a very good read as well. It gets 4.5 stars from this reader.

We first meet the hero, Clayton East, former Navy SEAL, in South Africa, where he's guarding endangered wildlife at a game preserve. He's been ignoring calls from home, knowing that he's both psychologically and emotionally not ready to return to the prosperous and thriving family ranch--that is until his boss makes him take a call from his mother, who called his boss out of desperation to reach her son...

Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 controllers
Review Source: NetGalley
Reviewer: Ariel

I’m not quite sure what it was about The Christmas Cowboy Hero, but I cried. A lot. Prepare to have all the feels as you dive into Donna Grant’s new Heart of Texas series and follow Abby Harper and Clayton East on their journey together as they deal with two teenage boys and a nasty case of cattle rustling.

Abby Harper has some abandonment issues, which is to be expected after her mother walked out on her shortly after her high school graduation, leaving Abby to raise her two younger brothers on her own. But Abby loves her brothers more than anything and she did what she...

***ARC Provided by the Author/Publisher via NetGalley***

Abby and Clayton meet after her younger brother is accused of stealing cattle from Clayton's ranch. The sparks are instant, as is the wariness Abby feels toward Clayton and the fact that he holds the future of her younger brother in his hand.

Clayton isn't really that happy to be back on the ranch, it isn't as successful as it has been in the past due to the lack of attention to detail of his family and a shady accountant, and he has had to give up his career in the Navy to come home.

There were parts of this that I really enjoyed and I thought the relationship with Abby and her brothers and Clayton and his family...

See Full Review
This book is now archived and I wasn’t able to download it. I was very excited to read this and am disappointed it wouldn’t send to my kindle profile.
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the characters and their interactions with each other, as well as with the supporting characters. I will definitely be reading other books by Donna Grant after this.
Sorry, but this one just wasn't for me. I did read a few chapters, but then I stopped reading.

Donna Grant gives us an amazing story that exemplifies the true meaning of Christmas. This is a story of loss and of struggle. It’s a story of the strength and power of forgiveness and of promise. It’s also a story of sharing and giving and love and family and it was absolutely beautiful!

This is a long way from the Highlands of Scotland and Ms. Grant’s Dark books, but I find I’m really enjoying her foray into the contemporary genre with her Sons of Texas series and this book, the first in a new series called Heart of Texas!

While Ms. Grant has changed locations, she hasn’t changed the way she puts together an exciting and engaging story and we definitely don’t have a shortage of strong...

See Full Review
This was just what I needed!  A sweet Christmas story with a cowboy/ former Navy Seal?  That's a double whammy right there.
Fantastic main characters, aswell as secondary characters.  I was thrilled that it was a true romance.  The drama was from outside sources,  not anything to do with their relationship.  No ow/om situations for the sake of drama.

- no cheating
- no ow/om drama
- no violence of a sexual nature
-a few steamy scenes (could have used a bit more)
- safe
-just ok epilogue.
Clayton is the hero you’ve been dreaming about! He comes home to save his family ranch and to help his father. His heart could be the size of Texas. There he meets Abby, who is trying to raise her brothers. Of course, raising two brothers is a feat in its self. Sparks fly and coming home was best decision Clayton ever made.
A sweet family oriented romance with a small mystery surrounding stolen cattle, money embellishment and it takes place around the Christmas time. Both the MCs are very much likeable and their HEA is heartwarming.

Thanks to netgalley