Every Note Played

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Apr 2018

This is Genova's best book yet, not a light accomplishment. Her research, her skill in showing us the devastation of ALS, the courage of those who have ALS, their families, their caregivers, as ALS makes its relentless journey to death, is unmatched.

For those who have lost a loved one to this disease, this book will resonate.  For those of us who have watched a loved one die, the decisions to be made, the longing for it to be over, to never end, all the unspoken words...this will speak to you as well.

Faces Behind ALS

I adore Genova’s books. The illnesses she writes about are deeply complex serious, and frightening however in her hands, they are honestly humanized, poignant, and truthful. Every Note Played is no exception as she draws from a wealth of knowledge and research to bring us a story of a forty-five year old celebrity pianist who is diagnosed with ALS.

As Richard navigates the cruel trajectory of this motor neuron destroying disease, he learns to become humbled in a way he hasn’t had to in years. His armor breaks down bit by bit along with his body as new opportunities are presented to him in ways they would not have had he remained healthy. This reconciliation with one’s...

See Full Review
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
This book is tender and will pull on your heartstrings. A few years. The characters are easy to like. This book really delves into ALS and what happens to your body as your mind is ever present. Really great book.
Tears and more tears. I loved the brutal honesty of this book.  It accurately conveys the horrible disease of ALS. I loved the omniscient viewpoint.  It helped me understand more fully what this disease does to all who are involved. It was heartbreaking as is the awful and cruel disease of ALS.
I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end. Lisa Genova has a way of catching me right at the start of a book and holding me until the last word. This is a beautifully heartbreaking book about a disease I knew little about. Her characters feel like real people, someone from my neighborhood.

Lisa Genova conducts yet another virtuoso performance as the author of this latest true-to-life sage that documents the devastating impact that a terminal illness brings to a family. In this novel Richard is a divorced concert pianist who is diagnosed with ALS, aka Lou Gehrig's disease. His bitter divorce from ex-wife Karina, a former jazz pianist, has left him estranged from his college student daughter.

The diagnosis of ALS comes as a shock to a man whose whole identify in life has been tied to his piano playing, the one thing he can no longer do as first his right, and then his left arm becomes paralyzed. As the disease spreads, so does word of his illness which eventually...

See Full Review
Another winner by Lisa Genova. With each book Genova writes, I learn something. This time she takes us into the world of a concert pianist who has ALS and the impact his illness has on himself and his family. A beautifully written story about life, love, forgiveness, and dying -at times emotionally draining but such a touching story. Highly recommend.

I have some mixed feelings about this book. The main characters held a love/hate relationship for me. They were both so angry for so much of the story that I was praying there would be some kind of redemption. I won't spoil anything though.

It was a very thorough look on the effects of ALS to a body and to the caretaker. I was a caretaker for 4 years, not to an ALS patient, but I do know the toll it takes on a person. Richard goes through the gamut from learning he has it, which destroys his soul because he is a pianist, to reaching the end of life and all the messiness that brings. He was easier to figure out than Karina. I wondered why she stayed so long and stayed in her rut even...

See Full Review

What an emotional journey through the life of a dying person. And those around him. I found neither Richard nor Karina to be particularly likable. He was a terrible husband, father, man but an excellent musician. Karina, while she had reason to hate Richard, was not a stellar wife either and was very bitter and seemingly loved to wallow in it, and was unwilling to take any responsibility for her own happiness. But somehow I came to care about them as the book went on. I went through so many emotions while reading and it was draining. In a good way.

Absolutely worth the read but be prepared to want to finish in one sitting and to be emotionally shot when it's done.

Thank...

See Full Review

I must begin by thanking NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read an advanced copy of this wonderful book by Lisa Genova.
I have read and enjoyed and learned from “Still Alice”, “Anthony” and “Left Neglected”. When I learned that this author had a new book coming out, I knew I just had to read it. However, I was also not sure I wanted to read it because of the subject matter, ALS. My wonderful brother was a victim of this horrendous disease a few years ago and I was not sure if I should put myself through the emotional experience of reading a novel about it. Well, since I had the book and liked everything written by this author I decided to read it and if it got to be too much...

See Full Review

Oh my! I felt completely enveloped in this story. "Every Note Played" by Lisa Genova gives powerful and vivid insight into the devastating affliction and reality of ALS. I loved "Still Alice" by this author, and was looking forward to reading another realistic, honest and well researched novel. ALS is an aggressive degenerative disease, and the main character Richard, along with his family, face a terrible reality of gradual and permanent loss, while trying to find forgiveness and make a mends. This is an irresistible story of a heartbreaking spiral, difficult, but really amazing. Thank you NetGalley, the publisher and author for this early edition copy. I highly...

See Full Review
Lisa is writing with her usual understanding of factors that don't have a cure. Her characters are believable. Richard with ALS and his mental anguish as he loses the ability to continue his career as a concert pianist. The anger of his x-wife and her disappointments with her life...not what she had planned. It was hard to put down.

Lisa Genova's books need to come with a thick stack of tissues because you know you're going to cry! The main character is a classical concert pianist who seems to think very well of himself. He's divorced his wife and hasn't spoken with his daughter in year. And then he get's ALS. The author provides great information on this horrible disease, making it understandable for those of us who don't have first hand knowledge. As one would expect, Richard, the pianist, is quite humbled by this disease. But I didn't expect what happened between him and his ex-wife to happen.
This book was a pretty quick read and yet I feel like the characters were actual people...

See Full Review
Every Note Played by Lisa Genova is so poignant, so beautiful and heartfelt that I do not believe my review will do it justice. This novel is about Richard, a renowned concert pianist and how he deals with his diagnosis and illness of ALS.  Karina,  his estranged wife bravely becomes his caregiver, despite the fact that Richard was somewhat of a narcissist and that they had had a horrible marriage.
This is a novel about family, love, loss and forgiveness.  I can't stop thinking about it.  A must read! 5 beautiful stars!
Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for giving me an advanced reader's copy of this novel  in exchange for an honest review.
An intense read... Genova is a master at the tearjerker.  While on the surface this book is about ALS and the struggles of this disease, at it's core it is about love, family, sacrifice, regret, forgiveness, and the idea of what could have been.  It is a reminder of living life to it's fullest and never taking anything for granted because you never know when it could be taken away.

Release Date: March 20, 2017
Do yourself a favor and put this on your to-read list NOW!
Every Note Played is Lisa Genova's book about a genius level musician diagnosed with ALS, his ex-wife, and his family close and distant.
I came into the book knowing nothing about ALS besides the "Ice Bucket Challenge". Genova made short work of that. She paints the picture of the mind of the patient and those around him in such an incredibly powerful way. I knew the characters, felt their joys and pains. I am sitting here typing this while sobbing.
It's a beautiful story about ALS, but I enjoyed the story more in the points it made about legacy. Apologizing and forgiving...

See Full Review
I've read Lisa Genova's other novels and knew what to expect. This was more heartfelt for some reason for me, and I found myself crying at the end, big ugly sobs. We all know how her characters will find their end once you pick up and read a few chapters, but this one did me in.
I received this as an ARC from NetGalley.

This is another success from Lisa Genova. The book focuses on a highly-acclaimed pianist who develops ALS. It follows his decline in chilling detail. Although the reality of the story can be very depressing at times, the details and descriptions are informative. Genova captures the effects of the disease on its victim, his family, and his caretakers. It is a very powerful story.
This book makes you feel like you know the characters and feel their emotions. The horrific decline of a healthy person is felt in every way, and the emotional adjustments to everyone in contact with it was told very em-pathetically.
We all remember the ice bucket challenge to raise funds for ALS.  Lisa Genova has written an exceptionally informative and captivating novel that tells the story of a renowned concert pianist who is diagnosed with ALS.  In Every Note Played the reader follows this man, Richard, as he slowly looses the ability to play the piano, to use his arms and legs and eventually his muscles for breathing.  His story, and also that of his family, is riveting and upsetting. I now have a deeper empathy for those afflicted with ALS and pray that a cure can be found soon.  I highly recommend this book.  For fans of Still Alice, this is another excellent novel by Lisa Genova.