Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Blogger at Momotips

Thanks to Netgalley and Udon Entertainment for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review. It has not influenced my opinions.

Thanks to the Manga Classics collections, readers can read international literature’s classics in a new guise. It is perfect not only for those who loves classics novels but also for those who would like to read classics but are afraid by big books and sometimes dense stories. On the contrary, a manga format is the perfect way to approach classic books in a different look, more simple, easy, funny and fast to read.
What I loved most of The Count of Monte Cristo is how has been reinterpreted and illustrated. I was concerned of missing parts, on the contrary I feel the story has been told in a proper way attentive to details. The manga is divided in 15 chapters with some bonus materials at the end. All of it is in a classical manga edition so black and white.
I do not have negative remarks, on the contrary I will search for other manga classics, and I will definitely recommend to everyone loving classic novels.
As with both Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, I didn't read this book before. However, I liked the story. These manga's do make me more interested in reading the original classics, I'd definitely recommend them in schools! The art is amazing, and it's much easier readable than the original classic, especially if you're around high-school-age.
I read the original version of this YEARS ago, and remembered pretty much nothing of it, other than that I really liked it, so when I got the chance to read an ARC of this manga adaption of it, I jumped at the chance - especially as I have had the opportunity to read several of Stacy's adaptions by now, and have generally been impressed by how true they are to the original.

As always, when adapting such a dense story to a graphic novel, allowances had to be made, and a lot was cut out, but nothing - I felt - which distracted from the main plot, and unlike some of the other adaptions, I didn't feel like the story was too disjointed to follow easily. I liked the drawings, and found it easier than usual to tell the different characters apart.
I really enjoyed this book. I find the idea of turning classics into manga books really cool and found that it was done quite well. I like that the traditional manga format was used and liked even more so that it is explained how to read it that way. I never knew about such things until very recently. I had never read The Count of Monte Cristo before, but found the story really intriguing. I think this manga style will convince others like myself who had not read the book to give it a try. I think that the graphics would be stunning to see in print. I am excited to check out more manga classics.
This book is a classic revenge story. If you don’t know the plot of this book by now, you’ve been living under a rock.

Art wise, it’s the classic Manga Classics look. I hope there’s a colored Manga Classic soon, it would be stunning.

Character wise, they’re so iconic that they invented the tropes we’re so sick of today.

Story wise, it was fun to read. I really likes how the plot kept moving forward and how every character, no matter how small, was connected to every other one.

Overall, this was a nice book and I hope I get to read the original soon.

Raing: 4 stars
I received this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this Manga version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I just read the classic version last year, so it was fun to revisit it in this format. I thought the artist and author did a great job re-telling this story and loved the graphic design in the book.
This was an incredible read. Not because this was a condensed story, but because the author managed to capture the essence of the original plot in a short(ish) format. Wonderful for all age groups and a must for the library.  Thank you NetGalley and Manga Classics for this eARC. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite calssics and I read it long ago when I was in school. So to reminisce the delightful childhood memories, I read this classic manga and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the characetrs, the story and the art was also nicely done.

What I didn't like was they totally cut the part of Edmond's escape. As a child, this used to be my favorite part and it still is. So, I was a bit disappointed. A couple of more pages wouldn't have hurt.

I would recommend this to youngsters who haven't read classics yet. It is in no way equivalent to the original classic but is sure enough to give you the glimpse of how amazing classics were and still are.
I remember reading the story as a child in the comic book Donald Duck but not as a comic but as a adaptation summarizing it by three pages each week. I was wondering if I had read the original novel as well. Probably. I do remember seeing a movie. So I knew the story.

The fun for me in reading this adaptation was that it was the first manga I ever read and very much liked the way the creative team explained how to read a mango but even better told about their decisions in adapting a classic novel to a Japanese style of comic book. How she scanned society pages looking for a man who could be the inspiration to the count and such.

Manga is not my favourite style of comic book though. The way people are pictured is too childish for my taste. But for an experiment I really liked this well researched and imagined version of the classical tale. It is also a great way of introducing literature to people who will not be enthusiastic about the more old fashioned, many pages original. And remember I was introduced to this great story by a comic book too.
I really enjoyed finding a classic book in manga style, let alone The Count of Monte Cristo, which is one of my favorites!
I enjoyed the art style, and how the story remain intact, since the original is a huge book. I liked also the research and explanation shown.
I truly recomend it and I believe that this series of Manga Classics can introduce and make the classic lit more reader friendly.
Beautifully illustrated and captivating! I wanted to check this out as the film is one of my favorites but I’ve always been a little hesitant to pick up the brick, I mean book...! This was an engaging format to experience the story all over again and I highly recommend! It’s also given me a newfound confidence to tackle the novel, which is my favorite part about telling/reading/viewing the same story via different mediums.
After several man get Edmond Dantes vows revenge. After finding the hidden fortune of another prisoner and escaping, he reinvents himself as the Count of Monte Cristo in an attempt to enact his revenge. Will he succeed? This manga adaptation does a great job bringing to life this classic tale. Poon and Chan’s illustrations are expressive, detailed, easily accessible, and make this story easier to understand for a wider audience of reading abilities An explanation of how the original novel was adapted to manga format, a character relationship guide, and character designs and sketches are also included. Recommended for most library collections.
My favourite classic 'The Count of Monte Cristo' in the famous Japanese Manga comic format. Beautiful illustrations and word bubbles precisely convey the epic story of Edmond Dantes, an innocent man who was deliberately imprisoned & who seeks well crafted revenge against his betrayers. If you are a beginner in classics or you don't want to read the original unabridged editions but still you want to know about the classic story, this one's the perfect pick for you. Once you are used to reading in the Manga style, it's easy-to-follow. Don't miss out reading your favourite classics in their Manga style.
{My thoughts} – Another wonderful Classic brought to life through the art of Manga. I’ll be completely honest, I have never considered reading the original book. It’s big, it’s thick and I feel like I’d be reading it forever. I didn’t feel that way with this version. I am truly finding a new love for Manga books, most importantly for the Classics.

While I was reading through this book, I couldn’t help but enjoy the illustrations. The detail put into them and the way in which the characters were brought to life within the pages. I have come to wonder how it is possible that such long stories can be shortened in such a way that they pull the reader in. I found it difficult to set this particular book down a couple of times, due to needing to get some other things done.

I look forward to reading more books in this series. So, far I have not been disappointed and have enjoyed each of the books, I have had an opportunity to read!
4/5 stars

"The Count of Monte Cristo" has always been a favorite classic of mine. It's essentially a story of revenge, love, and how far a person will go for both. Edmond Dantes, a newly made ship captain, is arrested on the day he is to wed the beautiful Mercedes. While in prison for ten years, Edmond discovers he has been wrongfully imprisoned  and deceived by three men of his acquaintance that all benefited from his imprisonment. Edmund befriends an elderly prisoner who tells him of a hidden treasure on the isle of Monte Cristo. They both pass time in prison by Edmond being tutored by the elderly man in all things knowledgeable, plotting revenge and eventual escape.

I really enjoyed this condensed, animated version of the story of Edmond Dantes. It reminded me how much I liked the actual book that I read years ago while providing it in a completely different format I love! The drawn scenes within this story were amazing and the dialogue was not as blunt and forced as I've noticed in most graphic novels or manga. The scenes and character interaction seemed to flow smoothly page to page which made it a fast read! The text itself was a little difficult to read and blurry on occasion. I'm assuming this issue is due to the manga being in electronic format or an ARC. Hopefully, the final copy is corrected, clear and beautiful!

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Udon Entertainment for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I read The Count of Montecristo (the book) when I was really young and reading it now as a manga was so exciting!
It's obviously different from the book but not so much, and I really liked how it didn't change the main story.
I would definitely read more about this author!
The ability to bring such a great classic as the Count of Monte Cristo to another target audience through  Manga gives us hope for literature's survival.  I first read Alexander Dumas' classic when I was in middle school and have loved it ever since.  I've read it in many different mediums and even watched it in film several times but I'm convinced that manga is a great way to introduce and/or further the exposure of today's younger audiences to this classics.
This was great. I love the art and imagery involved and how it brings the story to life.
Thanks Netgalley and publishers for allowing me to read this.
I chose this classic manga as simply I want to see the manga itself. I mean I was so interested with the art. And i really enjoy it. I also like some explaination about what was it like the story in manga version.
This is a book that my boyfriend is currently reading to me, so i flipped through this during our readthrough! This manga classic perfectly captures the atmosphere of Monte Cristo and gives new life to Dantes as a character.