Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Putting it out here now, Manga is not something I would normally foray into. But classics, however, is. I love reading classics. So when I saw that some of my favorite classics had been turned into Manga comic books, I couldn’t help myself. I had to read them. Which means more reviews of Manga classics will be coming your way.

To start it off, I decided to read The Count of Monte Cristo, as I have never read that one before. Needless to say, I was impressed. Not just by the story line, but also by beautiful artwork. I never thought that a classic tale could be translated so impressively into Japanese comic book art.

Of the storline itself, I was greatly impressed with the fact that Monte Cristo’s plans had plans, and those plans of plans had backup plans. He was very crafty and clever, and, to be honest, made Eabard Thawn from The Flash look like an amateur. If that’s not great writing, I don’t know what is. Alexandre Dumas, the original author of The Count of Monte Cristo, was a genius.

The sheer amount of people involved in his scheme was a tad confusing at points and I had to sit and think a moment to remember who was who, and how they pertained to the plot. So while it was confusing at times, in the end, it all made sense.

Monte Cristo’s character was very well-developed. As a man seeking vengeance for all the wrongs done to him, he could have easily come off as pathetic and weak, but he actually gave the impression of someone who was smart, cunning, ferocious and gentle, all at the same time. His ferocity, and his great scheming, however, take a sharp turn near the end of the book when a character he never intended to harm is killed because of his need for vengeance. His grief and repentance give his character depth, and make him seem even more human, and less like a fictional person.

In the end, this version of the classic has made me appreciate classic tales more than I already do and has left me with the need to read the original The Count of Monte Cristo myself.

NOTE: I was given an ARC copy from the publisher through NetGalley for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley for an Advanced Reader Copy of this book! It was definitely different from the other books I’ve read. I had to stay up some nights reading to find out more. The book took some turns that I did not see coming! In the end I’m happy I read it. I will be going back to read the other books by this author! Thank you again to NetGalley!!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The Count of Monte Christo is a classic tale of betrayal, revenge, retribution and loyalty. This manga version lends pictures to the incredible tale and I feel as though, even without the verbatim retelling, it is so beautifully crafted. It provides adequate pieces of the tale with pictures to communicate the otherwise verbose emotions found in the original. It also makes the experience more visual and appeals to a wider audience. It makes the classic more reader friendly.
I didn't enjoy this story at all. The words were blurry making it difficult to read. The artwork was alright but definitely not some of the better work I've seen in Manga Classics.
This manga interpretation of the Count of Monte Cristo is beautiful. This manga is printed in the traditional Japanese way of backwards to American standards and this is explained with instructions, at the front and back of the book.

The retelling of the tragedy that befalls Edmond Dantes has been slightly softened for a middle grade audience as a teaching tool. It only skims the surface of the darkness of the original book and condenses the length for this audience. It is still a large book  of about 400 pages which is easier to handle as a graphic novel.

If parents are concerned about seeing the mistreatment of Edmond in Chateau D'Lf, no worries, that's all skimmed over. It feels like what happened in Chateau D'Lf is too abbreviated and new readers might not fully understand why it was so bad there. This trimming is addressed in the adaptation notes and it is understandable, this is a huge, complicated novel and certain things had to be smoothed out.

Overall, this is a great adaptation that would allow my son and other younger readers like him get into one of my favorite classic novels!

Thank you to NetGallery for providing me a copy of this manga.
My Rating : 4🌟

Manga style graphic novels has recently really captured my interest and I was really excited to find the classic in this version! I absolutely love the artwork and especially the style of reading. It might be slightly confusing if it's your first time reading a manga, but it's absolutely amazing. I definitely recommend reading this classic in this style and I definitely enjoyed this a lot !! This is my first time reading this classic and I was really impressed. The story was teeny tiny confusing, but I got the hang of the characters after a while..
A fresh way to read a classic. The illustration is fantastic and brought this literary staple to life.
I loved seing the character studies.

However, there were a few missing pieces for me. While I understand the original is a thousand page tome, there were some scenes that I consider essential that were missing from this.
*~.Book Analysis.~*
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

Rating: 5 stars
Reading period: Sept. 27th, 2019
Format: ebook
Source: NetGalley – I have received this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Release date: Apr. 11th, 2017

PROS
I AM SO IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING! I know I may sound a little repetitive, but it is as if one adaptation gets better than the other every time! I haven't read the original Count of Monte Cristo yet and it is one of the few classics my mom always nags at me for not having read. I know what she means now and I'm definitely going to try to pick it up before the year ends. But again what made me more awed in this adaptation was the art: I simply loved how the characters were envisioned and the beauty of the scenery and clothing.

CONS
None, really. NOT.A.SINGLE.FLAW.

COVER ANALYSIS
Edmond actually reminds me of a vampire in this cover, but it is fitting in a weird way, so it is badass and I love it.

RECOMMENDED FOR
Manga, Comics and Classic lovers!
Manga Classics has done it again. I love The Count of Monte Cristo and this adaptation is just wonderful. It is very true to the classic and the artwork is just how I pictured Dantè to be. Now, I want to re-read the classic written by Alexandre Dumas. Manga classics, as I said before, is a great way to get to some of the classics that are on your tbr pile that can be overwhelming/time consuming. This one for me was a wonderful retelling of the classic. A definite re-read from me in the future, after of course re-reading the classic.
The Count of Monte Cristo is an adventure novel set historically in the Napoleonic era where conspiracy and a lapse of justice changes the course of one man. Alexandre Dumas' skillful narrative combines intrigue, betrayal, and triumphant revenge into a powerful conflict between good and evil. I highly recommend both, the original work and this adaptation.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books so I was a little worried about whether this would live up to my expectations.  It did!  The artwork is very good, and I believe this could introduce this treasured classic to a new audience.  The book is very accessible in this format, and I think many will read it because it is a "comic" but  they will find they want to read the original because of it.  Wonderful!
Thank you @netgalley for the arc of this beautifully illustrated Manga Edition of the Classic. I loved every minute of reading this book. It was a 4.5 star read for me. I really need to check out the Original book and see how the Manga compares to it. It was simply a captivating and delightful experience. The book was done very well. I have read an abridged version of the story back when I was in school. So I remember tidbits, not the entirety of it. A lot of details I believe had to be trimmed to bring this book to life. I still feel the essence of the story and the characters' journeys were very well depicted. The illustrations were amazing. Definitely check this Manga Classic version. I guarantee the book is great.
This Manga Classic was amazing. I loved every minute of it. I read the original classic a long time ago, and love the portrayal of the characters in this format.
Again the original classic took me a bit to read due to its size, but in Manga format, it felt like no time at all.
I think this would have to be my second favourite out of all that I have been approved for, just because of the story in general.
4/5 stars as I enjoyed this Manga, I enjoyed the speech, the characters and the interpretation of this classic novel.
The Count of Monte Cristo played an important role in my reading journey. I picked it up when I was around 12 years old, at a time where I spent all of my free time reading, but this was the first book I ever felt proud of finishing. It was also the book that made me realise how much an author's writing skills could affect the quality of a story. This is a book I haven't reread yet, but I still deeply care about it.
The Count of Monte Cristo is also one of those books that were plagued with terrible film adaptations. To this day seeing Henry Cavill in historical clothing give me nightmares filled with hot air balloons and terrible romance.
That is to say that I went into this manga classic looking for blood.

I'm happy to tell you that this book did exactly what it intended: it kept the story's strengths and charm while condensing it enough to be adaptable to a graphic format.
The characters are still wonderful. You love them, you hate them, you want to protect them and when you can't you mourn for them.
The differences character design did a great job of showing the change between Edmond and the Count as well as showing the naïveté of some of the younger characters. Bigger eyes, cuter clothes, and more facial expressions. The style was able to introduce us to the characters faster than if there had been only words.
As I mentioned before, the writers did a great job of keeping the center of the story, but at some points I felt that too many details were removed and some part of the Count's plan seemed like coincidences. The foreshadowing was also too obvious and  we were spoon-fed a lot of information instead of having to figure things out by ourselves. However, if you go into this mange without knowing the story this might not bother you.
Is this as good as the source material? Of course not, but it is still a fun read and if you weren't sure if you wanted to commit to a 1000+ pages book pick up the manga and if you like it go ahead with the brick. (and come talk to me about it)
It's the manga adaptation of one of my favorite classics: The Count of Monte Cristo!

It’s an amazing work. The story adaptation is very nice. The illustrations are extraordinary. Espeically, the visualization of characters attracted me. Nokman Poon is the illustrator of this version. All of the characters are being look like alive. Suitable illustration according to the environment and story-line has made this awesome.

Thanks to NetGalley for the arc.
I really enjoyed this, and I felt the manga did a well enough job condensing such a complex story into 400 pages. The art was also very well done. It was a very enjoyable, and I would read more classic mangas.
I really love these manga classics. It's a quick and fun way to refresh on books that are amazing, but sometimes very long and time consuming to re-read. This particular book does skip quite a bit, but I suppose it's to be expected given how long and complex the original story is. Overall, I think it was done quite well and was still very enjoyable to read. I don't think it's an ideal option for a first time reading, but it makes for a nice follow up or refresher.
I read the count of Monte Cristo when I was a child, and remember absolutely loving the story, the revenge, the drama - who doesn't like a good story about getting back at those who have wronged you in the past ?
This Manga describes the terrible revenge of Edmond Dantès in the exact way I visualized it when I was a child - and Edmond himself too, tall, dark, magnificent and terrifying at the same time. The artwork is brilliant, full of details that truly make the characters come alive between those pages. The story, while reduced to only 400 manga pages, is kept intact and respects the original work. I would definitely recommend getting this for a child who gets a little impressed by the 1600 pages of the original novel.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite stories and I think this manga does a great job of telling the story in a way that is true to the original.
I loved being able to read The Count of Monte Cristo in manga format. They both lend themselves to each other so well. The story is perfect for manga with the betrayals and revenge what else could you expect. The manga style of art works well with these characters. This art form is about big expression and these characters are the types that would give you that.

If you have not read the story of the Count of Monte Cristo you should definitely read this manga to introduce yourself.
So I kind of knew going into this one that I would love it. I love manga, and have a keen curiousity about classics but, guilty as charged, rarely ever read them due to the often imposing lengths (The Count of Monte Cristo, for example, is 1,200 pages.) and weightier writing that is common of classic literature. It can feel like work sometimes, yet there is always this lingering curiosity about the storylines and characterization- I mean there’s a reason these stories have endured throughout dozens of years or even centuries, right?

First thing I want to mention art-wise is that the nature of The Count of Monte Cristo’s plot happens to be perfect for the lovely art style employed here. The high drama, the twists and turns, the romance, the shades-of-grey characters and situations. All of it meshes well with beautifully illustrated characters and briskly-paced panels. The Count himself, while not looking perfectly like the book description, has attractive, slightly ethereal looks that are perfect for a manga protagonist and match well to the fascination the character is intended to inspire. Backgrounds, costumes, architecture- all of it is quite meticulous and pretty to look at.

Now onto the storyline. It’s very noticeable how much of a challenge it must have been to take 1,200 pages of historical text and convert it into 400 fully illustrated pages, approximately the size of 2.5 typical volumes of manga.

The dialogue comes off very naturally and the narrating panels that detail more of the on-going storyline are concisely written.

The beginning feels a bit rushed. Several characters are introduced. Pleasant, but overwhelming. It’s at the midway mark that I can say I was officially glued to the action, and the last hundred or so pages are a whirlwind of character development and plot lines reaching their fully realized and dramatic conclusions.

There are several quotable lines (most of them courtesy of the main character) and I’d call the content safe for all ages due to any violence being non-graphic in nature and the life lessons at the core of the story being good ones. There are also some afterward pages detailing the process of adaptation and the reasoning behind certain panels, handling of characterization, etc. It’s easy to see how much effort went into this. Highly recommendable.