Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A beautifully adapted version of the Count of Monte Cristo.

The artwork makes it a joy to read and to rediscover the story that I loved reading many years ago. The Pace of the story here is well done and the visual presentation adds a whole new dimension to the reading experience. I was reluctant to put it down as I felt myself getting lost in the story and turning back to enjoy certain moments again.

I would definitely recommend to both those who have read the book but also to those who are brand new to the story.
I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A cute manga of a classic story, but I wasn't a fan of black and white. It would have been much better in color.
I love the Manga classics so far. The art is solid, I believe the story boards to be as close to the original stories as possible. What a great pleasure it is to read through a 400 page Manga adapted from a 1000 page book.
As someone who still haven't read the classic book, this manga is something that really gave me that force to go and find myself the will to buy the enournous classic!

With nice art, it's something that you can devour in one day, or take your time to enjoy it.

From what I know and saw of the book, it's actually pretty impressive it was done in just one volume. But I'm pretty sure it was very well resumed to the main points so we can see what matters the most in the form of a manga, to give us just a taste for those who want to read the book and are just scared from the sheer size of it, and to give it a chance for those who can't read all that much to get to know this classic in a easy and fun way!

It's something that I really see myself reading more than one time since the whole story and art are just marvelous.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Udon Ent. for the chance of reading this ARC!
Thanks is a lovely adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I think an acceptable shortened version of the story for manga.

It retained most of my favorite parts while still keeping the main themes of the novel.

A great alternate to the original story, and a good way to get folks interested in the classics.
I loved the graphics and the book itself. It's slightly difficult to enjoy a book when you have to read it on your desktop because publishers don't provide a kindle link but other than that this book that I got from NetGalley is great!
'Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo' by Stacy King, Crystal S. Chan and Alexandre Dumas with art by Nokman Poon is an ambitious undertaking for an adaptation. Manga Classics gets it right.

A young man on an upward career path with a beautiful woman to marry finds his path overturned by three conspirators. He finds himself wrongfully imprisoned. With no one to talk to but the man in the cell next door, he's got nothing better to do than to plot his revenge. When the man in the cell nearby dies and leaves his fortune to the now not so young man, it is opportunity to escape and enact his revenge. Now the rich Count of Monte Cristo, he uses other disguises and criminals to get his revenge.

There is a nice afterword talking about the adaptation, which is good, because there are parts of the novel left out or transformed. In this case, it keeps the story faithful to the book and makes the manga move along a bit more. At 401 pages, this is a hefty adaptation. The art is really good in this one and I enjoyed revisiting this story.

I received a review copy of this manga from Udon Entertainment and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this manga.
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love these adaptations, they're a fun and easy way to get interested in classics. The art is always quality and I enjoy reading them. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite stories and this was really fun .
I'd forgotten how complicated and dramatic this book is. But it was fun to reread it as a manga. It definitely was quicker than reading the book version and a lot more fun.
I loved the artwork and the adaptation is both interesting and accurate to the original story by Alexandre Dumas. Of course, the story was simplified due to length restrictions, but it's still a long and thoroughly enjoyable graphic novel. It looks like a manga in terms of character design, which I actually prefer, and it made for a fast and quite engaging read. I started thinking I'd get a feel of it, then read it later. And I did eventually stop, at the end :)
I don't think it is a secret that Alexandre Dumas' master-piece The Count of Monte Cristo is my all-time favourite novel. I have written an extensive review of the book this summer which you can read here. I think the novel is simply one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written. I adore the plot, the characters and the whole vibe of the book. The writing is simply stunning. So, naturally, when I got the chance to read the Manga Classics retelling of my favorite story I simply could not say no.

I rather liked this manga. I liked that there was little to no step away from the original story. The art is beautiful, but I must say I was not amazed by it. At moment it did seem like the dialogues were made more easy in a way. That I didn't like. I believe they did it in case a person who did not read the original novel wanted to read the manga. I am a bit opposed to that, but that is simply because I think the original work is amazing.

One thing I particularly like about the art in this manga is the way certain character were drawn when they were young and old. I think it was done masterfully. Also, Edmonds disguises were wonderful!

I received this book in exchange for an honest review
I always wanted to read this great book by Alexander Dumas but it's hulk size delayed me starting it. But I am happy finally I have enjoyed this great work in form of a magna.
This magna does great work of trimming this giant book full of characters and twists into a readily understandable work.
It covers all major characters and twists of plot in a enjoyable format.
Artwork is great and you can see lovely backgrounds, eyes and emotions of characters and drawings capture the contemporary construction and outfits.
All female characters are charming and captions are concise and consistent.
Character of Count is nicely depicted and after reading it story slowly sets into your senses and you are left with admiration.
Thanks netgalley and author for review copy.
A great adaptation of one of my childhood favorites. The artwork is beautiful and it is one of my favourites from Udon Entertainment so far, highly recommended and definitely check out their other works.
This is a beautiful retelling of the classic tale. I have always loved The Count of Monte Cristo and this retelling is a great and fun version.
TW: suicide, murder

Disclaimer: I haven't read the original book, so I don't know how this compares to that.

Holy sh*t y'all, that was a lot but so fricking good, oh my gosh!

I want to own this manga in physical form, I want to be able to look at the glossy pages and flip through them and be able to physically hold this.

What a whirlwind of a ride!

I loved everything about this, from the story to the art, the characters, the placing. This version made me actually read this book that I've wanted to read for years but have put off. I'm so glad I picked it up, so, so glad!
A very good retelling of this classic tale in a manga format.  It is beautifully illustrated.  The story is condensed enough that the essence of the story is maintained.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of those classics I'd been meaning to read forever, but never seemed to get around to. When I saw it was available as one of the Manga Classics re-imaginings, I was pretty excited, as these renditions always make the classics a little easier for me to get through; they tell the same story in a condensed version, and the art is always so lovely and fun to read through.

Thankfully, this was no exception, and was actually one of my favorites yet as far as the artwork went! The Count himself is drawn in that classic style of the handsome hero you'd expect to see in a shoujo manga, which was really fun, even if it does kind of disregard his age. I kept forgetting that he'd be in his 40s or 50s by the time the bulk of the story takes place... but either way, it was a really enjoyable way to read the story and I can see how The Count of Monte Cristo would've taken people by storm at the time with its morally grey protagonist and vengeance-filled plot.
Another classic adapted for a more modern audience. I love the tale of the Count of Monte Cristo. It's a classic tale of despair and getting your desired revenge. The original book for this is huge, so it is understandable why the Manga Classics team had to tweak the tale. But I do not think, that any the of the main story, plot and twists had been forgotten. Once again would really recommend to all, who wish to read a classic but with modern and different take.
While the illustrations here were nicely done, the story just wasn’t very interesting to me. Fans of the original would probably like this manga, though.
I love reading classic in manga, even more being very well adapted.
I'm very fond of this publisher for launching their manga so carefully. With The Count of Monte Cristo it was no different, all the drama, all the thirst for revenge was very well transmitted through delicate and strong graphics.
All characterization of the characters was very well done and made me fall in love with Dante, his conflicts and anguish.
The way he went step by step conquering his victories and in the end how he perceived the feeling that remained after all was perfect.
I always like to read the considerations of the one who creates the adaptation, their research and how they create every detail.
I loved the cover and loved the moments when Dante appears surrounded by feathers.