Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This was an incredible read. Not because this was a condensed story, but because the author managed to capture the essence of the original plot in a short(ish) format. Wonderful for all age groups and a must for the library.  Thank you NetGalley and Manga Classics for this eARC. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite calssics and I read it long ago when I was in school. So to reminisce the delightful childhood memories, I read this classic manga and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the characetrs, the story and the art was also nicely done.

What I didn't like was they totally cut the part of Edmond's escape. As a child, this used to be my favorite part and it still is. So, I was a bit disappointed. A couple of more pages wouldn't have hurt.

I would recommend this to youngsters who haven't read classics yet. It is in no way equivalent to the original classic but is sure enough to give you the glimpse of how amazing classics were and still are.
I remember reading the story as a child in the comic book Donald Duck but not as a comic but as a adaptation summarizing it by three pages each week. I was wondering if I had read the original novel as well. Probably. I do remember seeing a movie. So I knew the story.

The fun for me in reading this adaptation was that it was the first manga I ever read and very much liked the way the creative team explained how to read a mango but even better told about their decisions in adapting a classic novel to a Japanese style of comic book. How she scanned society pages looking for a man who could be the inspiration to the count and such.

Manga is not my favourite style of comic book though. The way people are pictured is too childish for my taste. But for an experiment I really liked this well researched and imagined version of the classical tale. It is also a great way of introducing literature to people who will not be enthusiastic about the more old fashioned, many pages original. And remember I was introduced to this great story by a comic book too.
I really enjoyed finding a classic book in manga style, let alone The Count of Monte Cristo, which is one of my favorites!
I enjoyed the art style, and how the story remain intact, since the original is a huge book. I liked also the research and explanation shown.
I truly recomend it and I believe that this series of Manga Classics can introduce and make the classic lit more reader friendly.
Beautifully illustrated and captivating! I wanted to check this out as the film is one of my favorites but I’ve always been a little hesitant to pick up the brick, I mean book...! This was an engaging format to experience the story all over again and I highly recommend! It’s also given me a newfound confidence to tackle the novel, which is my favorite part about telling/reading/viewing the same story via different mediums.
After several man get Edmond Dantes vows revenge. After finding the hidden fortune of another prisoner and escaping, he reinvents himself as the Count of Monte Cristo in an attempt to enact his revenge. Will he succeed? This manga adaptation does a great job bringing to life this classic tale. Poon and Chan’s illustrations are expressive, detailed, easily accessible, and make this story easier to understand for a wider audience of reading abilities An explanation of how the original novel was adapted to manga format, a character relationship guide, and character designs and sketches are also included. Recommended for most library collections.
My favourite classic 'The Count of Monte Cristo' in the famous Japanese Manga comic format. Beautiful illustrations and word bubbles precisely convey the epic story of Edmond Dantes, an innocent man who was deliberately imprisoned & who seeks well crafted revenge against his betrayers. If you are a beginner in classics or you don't want to read the original unabridged editions but still you want to know about the classic story, this one's the perfect pick for you. Once you are used to reading in the Manga style, it's easy-to-follow. Don't miss out reading your favourite classics in their Manga style.
{My thoughts} – Another wonderful Classic brought to life through the art of Manga. I’ll be completely honest, I have never considered reading the original book. It’s big, it’s thick and I feel like I’d be reading it forever. I didn’t feel that way with this version. I am truly finding a new love for Manga books, most importantly for the Classics.

While I was reading through this book, I couldn’t help but enjoy the illustrations. The detail put into them and the way in which the characters were brought to life within the pages. I have come to wonder how it is possible that such long stories can be shortened in such a way that they pull the reader in. I found it difficult to set this particular book down a couple of times, due to needing to get some other things done.

I look forward to reading more books in this series. So, far I have not been disappointed and have enjoyed each of the books, I have had an opportunity to read!
4/5 stars

"The Count of Monte Cristo" has always been a favorite classic of mine. It's essentially a story of revenge, love, and how far a person will go for both. Edmond Dantes, a newly made ship captain, is arrested on the day he is to wed the beautiful Mercedes. While in prison for ten years, Edmond discovers he has been wrongfully imprisoned  and deceived by three men of his acquaintance that all benefited from his imprisonment. Edmund befriends an elderly prisoner who tells him of a hidden treasure on the isle of Monte Cristo. They both pass time in prison by Edmond being tutored by the elderly man in all things knowledgeable, plotting revenge and eventual escape.

I really enjoyed this condensed, animated version of the story of Edmond Dantes. It reminded me how much I liked the actual book that I read years ago while providing it in a completely different format I love! The drawn scenes within this story were amazing and the dialogue was not as blunt and forced as I've noticed in most graphic novels or manga. The scenes and character interaction seemed to flow smoothly page to page which made it a fast read! The text itself was a little difficult to read and blurry on occasion. I'm assuming this issue is due to the manga being in electronic format or an ARC. Hopefully, the final copy is corrected, clear and beautiful!

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Udon Entertainment for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I read The Count of Montecristo (the book) when I was really young and reading it now as a manga was so exciting!
It's obviously different from the book but not so much, and I really liked how it didn't change the main story.
I would definitely read more about this author!
The ability to bring such a great classic as the Count of Monte Cristo to another target audience through  Manga gives us hope for literature's survival.  I first read Alexander Dumas' classic when I was in middle school and have loved it ever since.  I've read it in many different mediums and even watched it in film several times but I'm convinced that manga is a great way to introduce and/or further the exposure of today's younger audiences to this classics.
This was great. I love the art and imagery involved and how it brings the story to life.
Thanks Netgalley and publishers for allowing me to read this.
I chose this classic manga as simply I want to see the manga itself. I mean I was so interested with the art. And i really enjoy it. I also like some explaination about what was it like the story in manga version.
This is a book that my boyfriend is currently reading to me, so i flipped through this during our readthrough! This manga classic perfectly captures the atmosphere of Monte Cristo and gives new life to Dantes as a character.
Absolutely stunning artwork! This graphic novel helps bring new life to an old classic. This would be a wonderful teaching tool for people who do not enjoy sitting down to a book full of words on a page and nothing else.
The Count of Monte Cristo has always been a favorite story of mine, even while reading it in high school, but the manga version just brings a new life to it. The artwork is great and I can only imagine it being even better when the final copies are out.

If you haven't read the story before and are iffy on the idea of reading the classic version, then I'd recommend this, because it's a great story with a good message that everyone should enjoy.

I'm giving it 4.5/5 stars.
On the story side, it’s been too long since I read the original novel for me to remember exactly the details, so I can’t really judge if important parts are lacking that deserved to be kept. I just felt the period during which Edmond Dantes finds the treasure and transforms into the Count of Monte Cristo is too quickly explained. In spite of that I thought we get in this adaptation the complex plots, the carefully orchestrated vengeance, and how everything ends up matching and fitting together little by little. We also get numerous characters and that can be a bit complicated at first to remember who’s who, but it would be the same with the original novel.
Purists will probably protest the cuts done but I’d say it’s not really different from those done for a movie adaptation – and The Count of Monte Cristo has known around twenty adaptations for film and around ten for small screen! And for those the prospect of reading a more than 1000 pages novel discourages, a 400 pages manga is much more accessible.
I really liked that at the end of the manga – so at the beginning of the book in the occidental reading direction – the adaptation team created a characters chart and explained some of the choices done concerning the story and the drawings.

Actually, on the drawings side we see graphic arts classic of manga, with sometime a close-up on an eye or a foot that can be disconcerting when you’re not used to the genre but are used to highlight a specific moment or emotion. Each character is drawn in a unique and recognizable way, the faces expressions are very well-made, the ladies’ outfits are refined and the settings are splendid. Of course, as it’s a manga, the characters in the same generation as the Count seem to be in their twenties, even the Count, when they are supposed to be at least in their forties, but it only made me smile.

To conclude I thought this really well done adaptation was a good way to discover a literary classic. I wonder which other novel they have adapted in the same way.
I’ve seen Manga books before, but never sat down and read one before.  As a French teacher I’ve read the story many times and the plot is involved and complicated, covering a timeframe of many years.  It usually takes me a fair while to read the story.

This book is brilliant. The story has been carefully adapted to the Manga format, with certain aspects simplified, but loses none of the drama.  I loved the illustrator’s style, there are lots of dramatic costumes and flowing hair.  The review copy isn’t in colour, but I can imagine that a full colour version would be dazzling!  I was also impressed by the careful background notes, the tree showing the links between the characters and the instructions on ‘how to read a Manga book’ for beginners.

I understand that this is part of a wider series and if they are all as good as this one, they’re worth looking for.  Recommended for readers aged 10+ and a definite possibility for readers who find the original book a bit daunting.
A wonderful adaption of the classic "The Count of Monte Cristo". The artwork was lovely and well thought out, carefully matched to the original book descriptions. I absolutely loved how clearly and well adapted the story was, I don't feel like I missed a lot of the story, it covered the majority and showed great attention to details. It was portrayed in a way that would make the story very clear for first time readers and reminiscent for fans of the original. I would love to read more by this author and from this Manga Classics Series!

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Udon Entertainment, and the author,  for giving me the opportunity to read a digital copy of this book. This did not influence my rating of the book.
A beautifully adapted version of the Count of Monte Cristo.

The artwork makes it a joy to read and to rediscover the story that I loved reading many years ago. The Pace of the story here is well done and the visual presentation adds a whole new dimension to the reading experience. I was reluctant to put it down as I felt myself getting lost in the story and turning back to enjoy certain moments again.

I would definitely recommend to both those who have read the book but also to those who are brand new to the story.