Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

New way of reading masterpieces of Edgar Allan Poe. Definitely good for new generation of young people who doesn’t like to read any classics specially prose of gothic literature. I was very excited when I received this copy because I could re-read beautiful stories and enjoyed the gorgeous illustrations the same time.

Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was an awesome illustration book I ever read. It thrilled me because the story seemed alive and looks real. I took my time to take a deep breath because I almost forgot. The story itself already gripping me till I could not hold on. Both combination were perfect!!
Edgar Allen Poe is one of my all time favorites. I love his writing and I believe this manga adaptation captures the essence of his stories beautifully. I loved the graphics and the story telling. I will definitely be purchasing a hard copy of this one to keep on my shelves.

*Thank you to Netgalley for providing the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.*
{My thoughts} – I have never really been a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe. However, with that said. I really enjoyed reading through this book. The illustrations seem to portray every creepy and icky feeling that you get when reading some of his work. This book successfully made me feel like I was being creeped out throughout it’s pages.

As, I have stated I am not a big fan, but those that are, I really think will enjoy this book. There is so much to enjoy from the creepy text, too the eerie almost unsettling illustrations. I can see this book having a large appeal with readers that enjoy this kind of read.

If you like to read eerie and be creeped out when reading, this is the perfect book for you! I am sure that you too will feel all the same emotions I’d encountered as I was reading. There are so many and the illustrations help to portray them so nicely. It’s definitely in my opinion if anything a once and a lifetime kind of read. I just don’t recommend reading after dark!
Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to comics and graphic novels, so I didn't realise that this was manga when requesting. I did struggle reading this, however I think that is due to me and my lack of experience. Hopefully I can come back to this in the future and enjoy it.
I love everything about Edgar Allan Poe, so I have to read this manga!
I really liked how the stories were told and the drawings: my favourite one was the first, so scary!
I think that Edgar's stories + manga is a prefect mix!
I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's stories and I feel that this manga did a great job of re-telling his stories in a way that held true to the original works.
I really enjoyed this. I feel that this really helped set the place for the stories. It would not be a replacement for reading the works as written but from a teacher standpoint, this could be helpful for those who have a hard time just understanding the story.

Thanks Netgalley and publishers for allowing me to read.
i really and truly adored this manga classic!! i’ve read almost all of junji ito’s work, and the artist for this manga definitely gave me junji ito vibes, especially for the tell tale heart. i want to see more horror manga so bad, i wish it were more popular. so glad that one of my favorite classic authors was transformed into stunning art!
Although I read some Poe stories in high school, I was never able to enjoy them because it usually meant I had to make an analysis on every line in the story. I read The Raven and still remember getting called on in class to explain what "Nevermore" meant. In the manga version, I very much enjoyed reading the story without having to think too hard about it all.

Putting the stories with drawings also puts you into the story even more. I can imagine it being even more full of life once finished and colored in.

I never read The Tell-Tale Heart but enjoyed it the most and if you were like me and could never get into the story because of school or whatever reason it may be, I recommend reading the manga version and getting more involved with the story with the amazing drawings.
The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe: Manga Classics was a solid 4 stars. Though I’m not an avid Poe fan, I enjoyed the various stories that were included in this manga, such as The Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart. The artwork was amazing (as with all the Manga Classics I have read so far) and the stories were nicely told.
I recommend this to readers that enjoy manga/graphic novels and definitely fans of Edgar Allan Poe. Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Edgar Allan Poe has been a favorite author of mine for decades. I have read his poems and stories in various formats, but this was the first time to read them in Manga. I loved how the pictures helped explain and express the words of Poe. Many of the stanzas made more sense with the pictures to help explain the emotion. I would highly recommend this as a companion to the classic writings of Poe. Using this as a learning tool would be fun, interesting, and very valuable.
I love everything Edgar Allan Poe and this is no exception. I am thrilled with this entire concept and being a manga made it even more interesting. I can't wait to own a physical copy of this for my library and fully immerse myself in the book.
This book features adaptations of several of Edgar Allan Poe’s works.

If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you must know that I love Poe. There’s something about the way he wrote that manages to compel me (almost) every time. And does this book have that touch?

Well, it features some of my favourite stories, and they’re conveyed as I always imagined, which is definitely a plus.

The book’s art is beautiful too, even though it’s odd to associate victorian writing to manga.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the fact that the tales adapted are the most famous ones annd there isn’t even one that’s a tad less known. However, I understand their choice, given that it’s the safest one.

All in all, this is an enjoyable read for both Poe fans and people who are just looking for a good book.

Rating: 4 stars
Having studied Poe as an undergrad, I felt intrigued by his works translated to graphic form. Unfortunately these versions of his stories underwhelm. I believe the fault lies in the editors abridging the stories, which ruins any work of literary fiction. Some of the stories fared better than others though. The graphics used for the Masque of Red Death soar above all the others. At the bottom of the heap lies The Fall of the House of Usher. Too much of the story was abridged. But above all else, that hairy, overgrown soul patch needs to go! The other stories are ok. Young adults may like the graphics but I do not think the narrative will pull them along. Poe’s stories need to be read in their entirety, with or without graphics.
This is a good book. I fully appreciate the style of Manga embellishing the literary works of Poe. It is great fun to read these tales I have read many times before in this format. Of course, one can always wish for more stories to be told similarly. If this is a Volume One of future collection, that would be great news. The artists capture the vivid and varied emotions of Poe’s characters well. For some readers, the lack of color might prove to be an issue, but monochrome can have its uses. It elicits the chiaroscuro binary that is ensconced in a lot of Poe’s works.
     That said, there are times when the art seems like it could have been taken a step further, with more detail. The “cover pages”, as they were, that begin each tale show great detail and depth that is hardly reflected throughout the rest of the piece. Especially in The Fall of the House of Usher, it seems like a lot of the background is left to the imagination of the reader. That has its points (especially because Poe can be very character-driven), but a good embellishment to any of Poe’s works would be the atmosphere created by scenery. So, a little extra could have been done there.
     Of course, and as I mentioned before, the reader can always hope for more of Poe’s tales. I would have liked to have seen The Purloined Letter, personally. Being that the artists capture emotion and facial expressions so well, it would have been fascinating to see the confusion and intrigue on the look of the Narrator, the pompous and cavalier attitude of Dupin, and the frustration of the Prefect.
     Overall, it is a solid entry and great for those who love Manga and have an interest in picking up some classic Poe literature. I look forward to more additions.

***I was given a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***
I was absolutely delighted to see that this manga adaption started with The Tell-Tale Heart, my favorite of all Edgar Allan Poe's works, and that it was done in a beautiful, fitting, and haunting style. It also includes The Cask of Amontillado, a story of murder through masonry, The Raven, one of Poe's signature works, The Masque of the Red Death, a work of Poe of somehow managed to miss until now (and it was presented so wonderfully as well), and it ends with The Fall of the House of Usher, a classic tale of madness. Whether you are a fan of Poe or are just checking him out for the first time (no judgment), this a classic must-have!

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Udon Entertainment, and the author for giving me the opportunity to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I have always enjoyed Poe's Stories and these convert especially well into graphic novel format. This is because the stories themselves are heavy with narration and dialogue with just enough description to let your imagination fill in the details. This is exactly what the illustrators for this book did. The stories are well illustrated with pictures that do nothing but enhance the source material. It would not be exaggeration to say that this would be one of the best ways to present Poe's works to a new reader.
I didn't really had a hard time getting into this manga version of the stories.  I liked the art work but the actually stories didn't seem to work like this for me.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the copy to read and review.
A fun and fantastic way to revisit Poe's work.

Both the art and the text selection are quite good, particularly for The Fall of the House of Usher (the best art of any of the included stories), as well as The Masque of the Red Death and The Cask of Amontillado.

Fair warning: all of the art is in black and white. I thought this quite appropriate for visual depictions of Poe's work, but likely not appealing for those who prefer their manga to be in full color.