Paris by the Book

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

This book starts off really odd and then grew on me. I didn't like the beginning, but enjoyed it as it went on. A read that I think you have to read slowly and give it time to enjoy.
I didn't get past the first couple pages, which were about a character stalking men.  It creeped me out and didn't match what I thought I would be reading based on the description of this book.  Maybe if I'd given it more time, it would have grown on me, but I have other things to read.
A sweet, light read, recommended for anyone who enjoys Paris as a fictional setting. The relationship between mother and daughters rings true, and there are moments of unexpected humor.
I didn’t want to give a star rating on this one because sadly I wasn’t able to finish it but since it’s required to post my review I felt that all I could do was 1 Star. I absolutely loved the description of this one and was so exited to get the galley but try as I might I just could not plod through it. I’ve tried 3 different times but I just can’t seem to connect with it. I’m not even really sure why, it just didn’t grab me and feels very disjointed. Maybe that evens out as the book progresses but for me there isn’t enough here to warrant a 4th attempt.
We loved Paris by the Book and shared it with our followers on Book Garden. The link is below, thanks so much for sharing a copy with us!

Leah loves the Paris depicted in "The Red Balloon," and Robert loves the Paris of the Madeline books. They meet when Robert catches Leah shoplifting a copy of "The Red Balloon," and love blossoms. They end up married, with two children and a pact that allows Robert to disappear whenever he wants as long as he leaves a note. When a disappearance without a note takes place, Leah takes her children to Paris to look for him. Once there, she and the girls end up running a used book store and wondering if Robert is alive. The book is full of beautiful descriptions of Paris, as well as fantastic characterization. The plot moves rather slowly, but once the reader is caught up in...

See Full Review

I thought I'd be hooked from the first sentence, and the prologue certainly captured my interest, but the subsequent chapters quickly ended the appeal. The book follows Leah, the wife of an eccentric novelist Robert, as she decides to move to Paris with her two daughters after her husband goes missing. While I enjoyed the more minor parts of the story, particularly the two daughters' lives, I had a hard time caring about the book's central relationship between Robert and Leah. Robert was in the story too little for me to really be invested in his disappearance, and Leah seemed to hit all the wrong emotional notes until 75-80% of the way through the book. I enjoyed the last...

See Full Review

I chose this book from NetGalley.com because it seemed to have all the elements for a great read -- a setting in Paris, a cozy bookstore and a family mystery. Unfortunately these elements never quite jelled, and i was left feeling frustrated and disappointed.
Leah recounts the story of the mysterious disappearance of her husband, a children's author and father of her two daughters, and how she attempts to solve the mystery and recover her husband and her former life. Unfortunately nothing about her husband seems worth saving. He is either deeply depressed or fatally flawed and all of Leah's praise and loving memories can't persuade me she isn't better off without him.
...

See Full Review
This book was a puzzle in so many ways. I loved the storyline. I loved the mystery although it was quite vague. I loved the descriptions of Paris. I didn’t like much of the writers style. It was stilted and strange. And the book had a very slow start with too many references to Madeline and the Red Balloon. I especially didn’t like the way Robert had no real motive for leaving. But the story was fresh and interesting and worth reading overall. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for providing an ARC.

Leah discovers one day that her husband, Robert, has gone missing. At first she didn’t think much of it because Robert often went off on trips to do his writing. But he always left a note. Except this time there was no note. Leah and her daughters carry on their day to day lives until clues begin surfacing and things aren’t making sense. One clue lead them to Paris, where they end up staying and running a bookstore (a dream Leah and Robert always had). Leah and her daughters are convinced they have seen him on various occasions, although it never seems to pan out. So is he alive or is he dead? While I was originally intrigued by the title and storyline, it was a bit more slow paced than I...

See Full Review
Thank you to the publisher for providing this complimentary ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is a story about couples, marriage and family, and what can occur when a family member struggles with depression. I found this book engrossing and perplexing at the same time. The narrator doles out pieces of information slowly and out of chronological order, leaving much for the reader to sort through on their own. Much of the story takes place in Paris, and wandering its streets through this book kept me reading to the end.

Paris by the Book

A Novel

by Liam Callanan

PENGUIN GROUP Dutton

Dutton

General Fiction (Adult) , Literary Fiction

Pub Date 03 Apr 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Paris by the Book through Dutton and Netgalley:

Robert Eady am eccentric novelist abruptly vanished leaving his wife behind as well as their daughters, a clue in an unexpected place, plane tickets to Paris.

Trying to uncover clues Leah decides to head to France with their girls hoping to find clues of where her husband may have went. Upon her arrival she finds a manuscript, one she had not even known he had been writing, the novel had been set in Paris. The Eady women follow the path of the novel to a small, floundering...

See Full Review
There is so much to love about this book: the setting, the characters, the obvious love of books the author has.  As much as I loved all the female characters and most of the male characters, I had a hard time feeling any empathy for Robert, the character that drives almost all of the action in this tale.  Eccentric and troubled, I should feel more empathy but really, I 'm just left with feeling he was a selfish child who never grew up.
I have a love hate relationship with this book. The prose is compelling but as finding the husband (who is horrible) is the end goal I didn't care if he was found out not.
This gave me a PS I Love You kind of vibe, but despite its slow charm, it really disappointed me. I thought the idea was great, and it was nice to see a touching story about coping with loss and a productive way that focuses on development and growth. I must say that the title and cover had me the most drawn to this book and then once I realized how slow it was, I became very disappointed... there wasn't really any Paris.

The sudden disappearance of her husband is nothing new to Leah Eady, he has done it again and again in the almost two decades they have spent together. He needs some time-out for his writing, to gather his ideas. But this time, things are different. She cannot find his “away-note”. He never leaves without a short letting them know that he’d be back again soon. When Robert does not show up again after weeks, Leah and her two daughters are devastated. Some clues lead her to believe that he could be in Paris and thus the three of them head for the French capital. Sometimes things just happen and later you cannot recollect what exactly was the decisive moment, so Leah finally finds herself in...

See Full Review
Charming,Paris books a bookstore I would love to visit a missing husband  makes up to a wonderful read.
Charming story with a touch of mystery and midlife angst.

This is a novel is about coping with loss and taking a leap of faith by following a dream.

Leah is devastated after her husband's disappearance. Soon after, Leah takes her daughters for a visit to Paris and ends up staying and managing a bookstore.

The premise sounds wonderful but I did not enjoy this novel as much as I expected. The main character goes on and on about The Red Balloon movie (and the book) and also about the Madeline's children's stories. After extensively describing them she returns again to it several times in the book.

Also, the pace is very slow. I had expectations this novel would have some mystery to it, and it does but I think the novel can be...

Susan Fisher
‏ @librariantalkin
Apr 10
Just finished "Paris by the Book" by @liamcallanan  So very good. Read this book and enjoy Paris too.