Origin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2017

I was given the opportunity to review this excerpt of Dan Brown's Origin (Robert Langdon #5). I've read all the previous Dan Brown books and loved them all. And since I only got to read the prologue and chapter 1, I can say that so far I am really enjoying the story. It has its usual religious lingo and style of writing, which grabs you and keeps you locked in! And of course the excerpt leaves you hanging right before the presentation at the museum. I can't wait to get my hands on this entire book and binge read!

Thanks NetGalley for the book. #reviewathon
I enjoyed this book a lot! It's different from the other books, there's not a lot of reliance on his art knowledge, he's more in the book because of his friendship with Kirsch. But he's also gotten pretty used to solving mysteries and escaping threatening situations, so that helps!

As always, there were a number of threads going on, with different narrations. And the short chapters made for quick, intense reading. I think one of my favourite plot lines was actually with the Prince, and those around him. They weren't the most important, but they were about history, and that was great to read!

There were two main parts of Kirsch's video. The first, where we came from, which was pretty cool, a bit of order to have chaos. And where we're going, with technology, yeah, I can see why the religious dudes panicked a bit, since Edward didn't tell them the whole story!

I really only have one complaint. And that's that we didn't get an update from the events of the previous book. I mean, the population going down that severely? It should've happened, at least a bit before they found a cure, and I would've loved to get some more information there. But nothing!

Really enjoyed this book, it was a great read, and I would enjoy having more!
"Where did we come from? Where are we headed?" A very good, thought provoking book. Enlightening and full of information- spanning philosophy, religion, science and art history facts, while maintaining suspense and mystery. I really enjoyed this book, full of wonderful characters and research! Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the reader edition for my review. All opinions are my own.
Love Dan Brown and I love this lasted book in the Robert Langdon series. Such a fun and engaging story chock full of drama and suspense. Always a treat to read.
Another great book by Dan Brown. I listened to it on Audabile while on holiday and I must admit I prefer reading to listening. I’m now going to buy the book to read..
This is my least favorite of the Robert Langdon books. The beginning was just way too long, setting up the "meeting" where some surprising something would be revealed that would change the world. Seriously, we got it. Can we get on with the story?

And then the villain turns out to be....... (oh, no spoilers here) That was pretty lame - the reasoning was ludicrous. I mean, really?

All in all, Brown managed to go on and on about nothing and only managed to kill a number of people for what?

No, not worth the time it takes to read. Hours I can never get back in life.....
Since it was only an excerpt, it is hard to write a complete review.  Like most Dan Brown novels, Origin begins with mysterious characters and hidden motives.  It looks to be much the same as previous novels.  I think I would be interested in finishing the book, although it does not seem to be as exciting as the initial Robert Langdon books.
Great to read the start of the newest Robert Langdon book. I look forward to reading the full version.
This was just chapter 1 of Dan Brown’s latest novel and was just enough to whet your appetite for the book. Book 5 in the Robert Langdon series.
I get a little emo every time I finish a Dan Brown/Robert Langdon masterpiece. There really is some beauty in being so descriptive, and you can tell how much effort and love Mr. Brown puts into his work. I finished this book with a sense of excitement for our future, although it comes with consequences (I'm looking at you, Winston). Thanks again, DB, for another fantastic Robert Langdon adventure. They really are my favorite!
I loved this preview of Origin. As soon as I began reading the preview, I was sucked back into Robert Langdon's world. It was a great thrill ride that kept me interested. The preview made me even more excited to read the full book, and find out what Edmond had discovered.
A great beginning for what I'm sure will be another great book from Dan Brown. Yes the plot basis is similar to the rest of the series but from what the first two chapters showed I'm sure it's going to be different and gripping as hell. I look forward to reading the rest of the book.
I would love to read and review this book, BUT, I only received the first 2 chapters.  Those 2 chapters were intriguing, so how about giving me the rest of the book so I can offer a proper review please!
This was only an excerpt, so I don't feel comfortable in reviewing it. I didn't realize it was only an excerpt or I wouldn't have requested it. What I read I did like, as I do most Dan Brown novels. Perhaps I'll get to read the full story someday, and then I will review it. =)
A great beginning to what promises to be another great book by Dan Brown!
Can't wait to get my hands on the paperback edition.

Dan Brown does it again; his memorable style of writing pulls the reader in and doesn't let go. The story has a great line to be explored and it seems that the author did just that.

Thank you NetGalley, the publisher Doubleday Books and the author for granting me the opportunity to read the excerpt of this novel.
This book was exactly the Dan Brown book that I'd been waiting for for years. Dan Brown bring Robert Langdon to Spain where Langdon is off on another adventure to solve a puzzle, help a beautiful women, and ultimately teach the reader more about religion and history. This book was filled with interesting tibits and lived up to it's predecessors in the sense that I could not put it down.
The prologue of this book says everything without giving away too much. I like the fact that the story just grips you, taking hold of your curiosity, making you want more. The fans of the previous Robert Langdon series will surely find this interesting. I will definitely add this to my reading list.
Origin scores an exuberant five star rating from me. If you’re familiar with the Langdon series, it’s a no surprise hook-line and sinker! Within the opening pages you’re hooked and accepting the drop in productivity for a few days. The story line and well placed care packages of new information along the way kept me speculating in-between readings, in that mystifying deep sense that Brown has definitely mastered now. As with others in the series, the book is a fiction written around facts from a variety of subjects like Science, Technology, Religion, Art and Philosophy. I found myself on Google “is that true!?” quite a few times.

Without spoilers, we find Robert Langdon inadvertently centered in another catastrophic mystery/disaster. A scientific discovery so huge, so earth shattering that it guarantees to not only change the world, but completely shatter the pillars of which its history both physically and philosophically have been built. Edmond Kirsch, renowned scientist/genius and outspoken Atheist claims, “I have indisputable evidence, life can and did begin without ‘God'” But the release of this discovery falls on the shoulders of Robert Langdon, who knows only how big a discovery it is, but not WHAT it is.

From the beginning, I questioned whether even Dan Brown could deliver an ending adequate to match the enormity of the “discovery” he builds up. Although from the early chapters, the story does well to validate it’s importance without giving it away. And despite the common dissatisfying deflation at the end of a thriller, Brown holds true to his intellectual “promise” to us the reader that he has indeed concocted a scientific discovery that is both earth shattering and shockingly believable.

Origin is an absolute must read on all accounts.

To those of any faith skeptical of reading a book who’s plot intends to disprove God. Fear not, as the inner glimmer of faith both within the story and Robert Langdon continues to shine.
Bad news for those who are as tired of Dan Brown's formulaic style as I am, it continues on in :Origin'. I guess it works for him, so why change? I gave it 3 stats because it's an easy, slightly interesting read, especially if you're stuck at the airport.
The likeable (subjective) Harvard professor Robert Langdon, who deciphers signs and symbols, is for the fifth time involved in a chase to unlock a password that will hold the answers to the two philosophical questions that have been at the core of human inquiry: Where do we come from? Where are we going?

Most of Dan Brown’s formula is intact in Origin but there’s still a difference. Most of the other books impart the notion that Langdon has been unknowingly pulled into the plot. Almost everything is the same, except that Langdon gets involved voluntarily -- obviously, with a beautiful woman as his sidekick -- to seek justice for his friend Edmond Kirsch, a genius futurist who is assassinated before he could announce his discovery that may dethrone all religions and hasten a new reality where man isn’t at the centre of the universe.

Despite all the praises, it only took a few hundred pages to guess who was pulling the strings behind the inexplicable occurrences. There was a time Da Vinci Code, the first of the series, was unique. But Brown’s stories are now grinded, their mysteries disappearing with every twist. The thing about replicating a tested blueprint is that it becomes predictable over time. A loyal reader can easily list the designs of a prototypical Dan Brown story. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he is still a good story teller.