Bless Her Heart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Nov 2017

Awesome book by Sally Kilpatrick.   Love her quirky look at the world.  This book looks at the good, the bad and the ugly of life all with Southern charm.   I love a book that makes me laugh and cry.
Posey has always wanted stability and support. She grew up without a father, or even an inkling of who her father might be. Her mother was busy finding herself, and often left Posey with her grandmother. If that weren't enough Posey has two younger siblings that she helped raise without either of their fathers in the house.

After Posey marries an older man, she thinks she has found what she's always wanted. However, her controlling husband has a much different view of marriage and their roles within it.

Will Posey be able to overcome the obstacles she faces to get the life she really wants?

This book is for those that like a "get-yourself-together" or "all hope is not lost" story.
The characters, the southern setting, the life change combine for a novel that's fun, sad, and empowering. The new strength realized and letting go of the past left me feeling good at its conclusion
For a while at the start of this book, I was really starting to get tired of hearing this "bless your heart" phrase and almost put the book down. Soon after that thought, it stopped and I realized that the author had to of put that in there to get us as sick of the phrase as the character. A character who really had to put up with a lot of crap, a lot of it no fault of her own. Well, it worked. Ha!

So. . . just give it a chance. I found it to be a very fun, entertaining and enjoyable read. I was laughing and smh right along with the character for the rest of the book.

Thanks to Kensington Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
I must confess that the cover art captivated my attention....however, Posey captured my heart....I loved this sassy, fun character...I'm sure you will too.  Five stars!
This is a sweet,sassy fun read..Bless Her Heart is a laugh out loud book that is so relatable and leaves you with a smile.
What a sweet and quirky fun love story!! I loved the southern style to this one. My first read from Sally and won't be my last! This was just the right palate cleanser for me with all my mystery thrillers!

Funny, sassy, and  just the right amount of love. I was running a bit behind on my arcs but glad I finally got to this one yay! 4 love stars
This was a cute story. Being from the north I had no idea about the “Bless her heart”. I thought that’s what it meant but we moved belove the Mason Dixion line & l soon found out the real meaning.  My favorite part of the story was when she told the old busybody off.  You’ll know it when you read the part. It was good for a chuckle.
Most in the south know, a simple “Bless Her Heart” is used in many ways, the honest and open goodwill is often the least of them. In fact, those three words are Posey’s least favorite in the English language – and you can believe she feels she’s heard (or used) it more than once.  Married for five years to a rather controlling and wholly uncaring husband, and working in his ministry as an administrative assistant, she wakes one day to find him gone, the car repossessed and her bills piling up.  With few to no options presenting themselves, she moves back to live with her mother Lark, a house she left hoping to find security, stability and a chance at her family being more “Leave it to Beaver” than Roseanne.

Years with a more restrictive life focused on her husband’s ‘flock’ and the good works of the ministry, Posey’s married life was structured and moving forward – the only thing she thought was missing was a child. But, after the devastation of her marriage’s end, she’s in a bit of a crisis: while she truly tried to be good (as defined by her husband and their position) she’s left with nothing – and there should be something more.  But, her crisis isn’t simple. Her sister suggests she finds her ‘goodness’ in travelling through the Seven Deadly Sins – and we are off.

While the theme of this title does run into Christianity, the use of the sins and Posey’s reactions to her own testing of limits show that faith and belief, as well as an honest confrontation and realignment of those beliefs in lieu of new information, situations and even perspectives is both important and integral to learning to move on and find your path. Sure, there are moments when it overwhelms, but the core story is there – one of growth, self-affirmation and how to find your own path through the minefield that is often presented by family, friends and expectations.  Posey missteps, redirects and redesigns her life, her beliefs and even herself as the story continues: with input from her family and friends and plenty of humor, the story is fun and easy to read – leaving readers with hope that change is possible and can be a positive, if you attack it in the right way.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed
What a delightful read this was, I'm so glad I spotted my blogging friend Betty reading this on Goodreads.

I loved spending time with Posy, getting to know her and her estranged family. The character development was so good, she really did feel like a real person, and someone I'd love to be friends with. I enjoyed reading about how she changed from the 'perfect' buttoned up minister's wife, back to her old sassy self who enjoyed spending time with her family and friends.

Although I mentioned this was a delightful read, there was a dark theme of domestic abuse running  throughout this book. It didn't make it a heavy read at all, but it did highlight how this very serious issue,  can be hidden away in a seemingly perfectly marriage.

I haven't read anything by this author before, but will definitely be on the lookout for her books in the future.

Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for my digital copy.
Some people might rate this book 4 or 5 stars for the authentic southern characters that Kilpatrick introduces with such aplomb you feel like you’ve known these people forever. Some readers might fall in love with “fun Posey” who uses the 7 deadly sins as a guide to make up for 10 sucky years married to a controlling, manipulative jerkhead.  And some readers might call this book a winner for its excellent writing – and easy dialogue among a hippie mom, sisters named after natural elements, and a best friend who literally saves more than one day.

I’m giving Bless Her Heart a bunch of fat stars because it made me so sufficiently mad at Chad Love, so ticked off that he thought it was okay to treat any human being the way that he treated his wife, and so angered with a patriarchy that thinks “Wives, submit to your husbands” isn’t part of a speech that says “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her … Love your wives like your own bodies,” that now I am taking steps to help some people who are in situations like Posey’s. Sally Kilpatrick, any gratitude that comes my way from women who are tired of being controlled and interrogated and mentally beaten down – that gratitude is due to you.
I want to thank Kensington Books and NetGalley providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate this opportunity.

Synopsis: Posey Love has been married to Chad for 10 years. She feels her marriage is what normal is even though her husband is a preacher and teaches that women should submit to their husbands in a severe way. She does everything her husband says from punishment and uncomfortable sex to waiting on him hand and foot. She works the receptionist desk for their church Love Ministries and is cut off from her life outside her husband. She lives a very unhappy life but is so numb to it all. She doesn't even realize the toxic marriage she has been in for the last decade but maybe she hides it because she desperately wants children. Posey Love lives day by day and just goes through the motions. That is how she survives.

When everything seems to be going as its "supposed" to, Posey finds out her husband has ran off with another woman. She wakes up to her world falling apart and debt consuming her. She feels so overwhelmed by her world turning upside down and having to move back in with her mother that she decides to commit the Seven Deadly Sins to see if that will help her find herself. While living in a small southern town she has to deal with the statement she hates the most, "Bless your heart" at every turn.

Posey is glad to have the support of her BFF Liza and her siblings. Moving back home means that she has to address the deep rooted issues with her mother. She also finds a great support in her high school crush but things are not all rosie for Posey. She has to find a job, deal with southern town drama, and Chad won't leave her alone. Will Posey be able to find and love herself again? Will Posey be in danger?

Review: I give Bless Her Heart by Sally Kilpatrick 4 out of 5 southern comfort stars! I really enjoyed this book and enjoyed the characterization. I could relate to a lot of things in this book. I honestly was introduced to a what some would call a cult when I was younger and had no idea that is what it was until 6 months being a member. The church built me up and I felt this amazing love and passion. Then when 6 months hit I was given all these rules and if I did not obey them I would be punished and kicked out of the church. This messed up my spirituality big time. This was so hard for me because they took me in like the family I never had and it ended traumatically but that's not the point. I just felt because of this life experience I had I could especially relate to this book. I knew what the main character was going through with a lot of her feelings. I will warn some people who might not like a lot of christian references, this may not be the book for you. I thoroughly enjoyed this book because of being southern and having to experience a lot of the circumstances that the characters went through. I could relate to 4 or 5 different characters. I really enjoyed this book and I'm pleased to have read it. The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is because I felt it was a little bit slow at times and a very small part I had a differing point of view. Overall I was happy I picked up this book.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable read as you follow the trials and tribulations, triumphs and growth of Posey as she experiences life from a much improved perspective.
She is living the shell of a life her preacher come cheater husband has created for her until she discovers his philandering. Off come her blinders to uncover the truth of her life: oppression and lies. Posey decides to turn her back on the religion she so believed and experience the Seven Deadly Sins firsthand. She finds an inner strength long absent and a strong will to really be the person she is.
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Posey Adams Love has spent much of her life proving to herself and to the people of Ellery, Tennessee, that she is a good girl, one worthy of their respect and not just “the daughter of a legendary hippie girl who ran away from home and came back pregnant.” Her life hasn’t turned out exactly the way she planned. At thirty-two, she had planned to be the mother of two children with ten years of teaching to her credit. Instead she is the receptionist at the church headed by her husband, who left First Baptist because it was too liberal for his taste. Five years ago, he founded Love Ministries with its emphasis on the husband’s unassailable position as head of his household and the wife’s duty to submit. Posey has been a dutiful wife in the office, in the kitchen, and in the bedroom. If she has her small rebellions, no one else knows about them.

The life Posey has valued for its stability vanishes one day when Chad leaves town with another woman, Posey’s car is repossessed, her house has been sold, and she is without a job. Forced to return to her grandmother’s house and to work in her mother’s yoga and natural foods store, Posey makes a decided turn—no more good girl. She gives up church for Lent and sets out to develop an up-close and personal relationship with each of the deadly sins. Along the way, she finds herself again, and she also finds a new closeness with her mother, her siblings, her best friend, and a sexy piano tuner who has been increasing her heartbeat since eighth grade. And she is leaving the good people of Ellery too shocked at her behavior to utter a single, pitying “Bless her heart.”

This is Kilpatrick's best since her debut--funny, sweet, honest, irreverent, inspiring and on-the-mark Southern. I loved it! I’m not a huge fan of first-person point of view in fiction, but sometimes it works wonderfully. Such is the case here. Hearing the story in Posey’s voice makes the story funnier and more poignant, and it makes it so easy to love Posey, fabulous and flawed as she is.

Chad is vermin, of course, and he is rendered even more repulsive because he is so close to some real-life characters I have known. The other characters, like Posey, are richly dimensional. Posey’s mother is wise and vulnerable, and her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s inspires a mix of laughter and sorrow that will be familiar to those who have watched loved ones move through the stages of that disease. Rain, Posey’s half-sister, is as interesting, as complex, and as lovable as Posey herself. And former roadie, current piano tuner John is sweet and flawed and complicated.

Kilpatrick’s debut novel, The Happy Hour Choir, is still one of my favorite books. Although I have enjoyed her other novels, none has quite reached that I-want-to-read-this-again-and-again response that the first one did. I rank Bless Her Heart right up there with The Happy Hour Choir. It is a little bit Flannery O’Connor, a little bit Fannie Flagg, but mostly delightfully and originally Sally Kilpatrick. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the author revisits these characters.

I highly recommend this one for readers who like Southern fiction or women’s fiction that evokes laughter and tears. Romance readers should be aware that this is not a romance. It has a strong romantic element, but the conclusion is more open-ended than the conventional HEA.
Some will find the Christianity references in this book excessive -- I know that I did because the publisher's summary didn't really give a hint about them, except to refer to the protagonist's husband as born-again. When I started, I questioned whether I had missed that this book was really Christian chick-lit (which is its own genre) but apparently it isn't being sold that way. I was raised Baptist, so I could relate to much of it, but I can see that others of different faiths or no faith would not. So now you know.

As for the book itself, I liked it. I'm usually a fan of books where the woman finds herself and fights back against an abusive bully. Posey is a likeable character and transforms over the course of the book, and you want to root for her. I needed a lighter story after some of the heavy and depressing literary books I have been reading lately, and this fit the bill.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Sally Kilpatrick has woven another enjoyable charming Southern tale. This one felt a little more serious to me than previous books that were just fun and filled with her sassy wit. Even though the author tackled some tough subjects, it is a wonderful book about second chances, one that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Southern fiction. I'm already looking forward to her next one.
What a terrific book!  Posey needs to find her true self after years with her creep of a husband and denial about her family.  Giving up church for Lent and a trip through the Seven Deadly Sins is a unconventional way to do that (and please don't find it offensive- it's very funny).  She's not the only food character in this novel- her mom Lark and friend Liza are also totally believable, especially since they only have Posey's best interests at heart.  There's a romance, of course, and I'll bet you enjoy how Posey deals with it.  Thanks to Netgalley for what turned out to be one of my favorite reads this month.
This is a hysterical romp that turns the "virtue is its own reward" trope on its head.
I enjoyed this quirky, funny book about Posey and her journey after Chad turns her life upside-down. Posey puts one foot in front of the other and stumbles through her days trying desperately not to be blessed by the people in her life...she even gets to utter the hated phrase to someone else. It's a great and easy read.