Grace of a Hawk

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2017

This book is about a soldier back from the Civil War trying to find his place in a battle weary country. I enjoyed the historical nature of the book, the setting, the struggles, the hardships. This is a long book. The first half of the book was a real struggle for me because there was no action just a ton of information about the main character, his family, his friends, his love interest and the territory. It took me about 3 weeks to get through the first half of the book, it was just so confusing, repetitive and frankly boring. The second half of the book began to see a lot of action and was quite good. I'm afraid many readers will give up and move on to another book before they get...

See Full Review

It's hard for me to describe Grace of a Hawk because for much of the book I was confused. Confused as to who the POV character was. Confused as to what happened. Confused about who was the protagonist. Just overall confused.

This book was very hard to read. It changed locations, POV's, and times without preparing the reader. The POV was first person so the first few switches were jarring. This could be solved by having headers with locations, dates, and which POV we're in.. I also got lost since there was either an overabundance of infodump or not enough. The story dragged while the characters did an "as you know" to catch the reader up. I didn't...

See Full Review
Great historical romance book spanning over many years. I would recommend reading the previous books as the story is complex but still enjoyable to read. Definitely recommend!
I enjoyed this book. I have not read the other two and think I should have before I read this one. Seems to be a good series.

In order to write this review, I undertook the task to read the first two books of this moving Dove series and I do not regret the time I invested in doing so.

Even though the 3-books story evolved through a period of about 1.5 years, it felt as though it had lasted many more years. The reason being that this author has a deft and sensitive hand at creating a detailed, textured story allowing the reader to imagine being right there with these unforgettable and well-defined characters during this tumultuous period of post-Civil war America. This quality of writing was maintained throughout the 3 books.

And what a journey it was, covering a landscape of loss and grief, sexual...

See Full Review

After requesting this book and starting it, I realised that to be able to get the full understanding of it I must read the previous two in the series. I purchased the other two and read them all in three days.

I must say this is one of the best historical series I have read in a good long while. The main character Lori is one of the strongest and resilient female characters I think I have ever read about. She doesn't seem to be able to catch a break and is wanted wherever they travel.

The three books contain so much of her and her troubles, her association with the men in these books and their love for her.

In this third book, even though much is about Lori, this one centres more...