To the Duke, With Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Dec 2017

I have read this author before and enjoyed her just fine, but this is a DID NOT FINISH for me. It was very uncomfortable how the male lead character was written-his thoughts on the heroine and why he found her attractive were bordering on the creepy and not romantic at all. The writing was off and juvenile also. I'm not sure I would recommend this one to anyone.
First of all this was absolutely adorable. I do not mean in a cheesy way like “oh how cute” when you think of tiny baby ducklings (don’t know why I thought of ducks but I did) but in a this makes my heart so happy kind of way.
The beginning bickering and bantering between our soon to be love interests is vivid, imaginative, and entertaining. Loretta is feisty, strong willed, and courageous. The Duke of Hawksthorn is stubborn, sly, and boisterous.
The ebb and flow is a romantic adventure full of life and quick witted fights of wills. I recommend this for pretty much anyone who likes historical romance.

This is the second book in the Rakes of St. James series. I read the first book and enjoyed it quite a bit, so I was expecting so much from this next book. It fell flat for me. The obvious insta-lust was so strong, it didn't even read right in this historical romance setting. I did not get the feeling that the primary couple actually fell in love with one another. "I want you" is not the same as "I love you." Additionally, there was a great imbalance of financials, which rubs me the wrong way with that type of power play.

Sloane Knox, Duke of Hawksthorn, is one of the three Rakes of St. James who played a prank on a dozen debutantes a decade ago. Following last...

See Full Review

Wanting to avoid potential gossip and ruination for his younger sister Adele, Sloane Knox finds what he feels is a perfect match for her in Paxton Quick. His sister Loretta, however, is determined to allow Paxton to marry for love. She had spurned a marriage to a nobleman years before rather than live without love, so trying to change her mind is a challenge that Sloane (better known as Hart throughout the novel) is only too willing to take up.

This is part of the Rakes of St. James trilogy, but it's not necessary to have read the others in the series to enjoy this one. There is the inclusion of London's underbelly in this one, though it's tangential to the romance and not...

See Full Review

Loretta was a kind soul that just did not want her brother to be subjected to the same fate that almost captured her and pushed her in to a vow that she felt trapped by. Loretta was very much faith based. Not so much that she was devout in her beliefs or action. She just took her vow very seriously. Even when love came her ways. She was willing to deny happiness because of her vow. She finds a man that she can match witts with and a challenge, Hawk. Hawk was a challenge to Loretta as she was to him. Hawk wanted Loretta's brother to become betrothed to his younger sister. He did not want fortune hunters to descend on her for her coming out season.

This by far was not a steamy read...

See Full Review
This one was like 2 love stories in one book. Though Hawk was looking for a marriage match for his sister he ends up finding one for himself as well as saving Loretta from the lifetime of loneliness that awaits her. I don't know what it is about these St. James Rakes, whether its the book that caused them to become the Rakes of St. James or how each of the Rakes themselves are is a mystery to me. But I look forward to find out what happens with the last one of the Rakes.
I absolutely loved Sloane and Loretta's story!! I really love stories where the H/H meet in an unexpected way and are able to get to know each other without the watchful eye of the ton. In fact most of the story was away from anyone but family and that was a nice change of pace. I'm very excited for the last book in the Rakes of St. James series to come out in May, but I'm going to miss these 3 handsome rakes!
This was not a bad read. The romance is hijacked in favour of the side story of the heroine and a young boy she rescues.  The book is well written and fans of Amelia Grey will enjoy it.  I am looking forward to her next novel.

The second book of the Rakes of St. James series, To the Duke, With Love, is a great second story that could be read as a stand-alone. It wasn't as good as the first one but it was still good. Aside from me just not liking Sloane as a boys name, blame Ferris Bueller for that, I liked this book.The few books of Amelia Grey's that I have read I have enjoyed. This one was amusing and entertaining and if I hadn't gotten sick while reading it and a sleep most the time I probably would have finished this book in one day.

The Rakes of St. James earned their name after a youthful drunken bet almost ruined a handful of girls, and now that their younger sister's are coming out...

See Full Review
Characters had very weak motivations. Had a hard time suspending common sense solutions for this one. It was just an ok read.I believe.

3.5 Stars

Loretta Quick and her brother, Paxton, have been dependent on their uncle, the earl, since their parents died. When Loretta bailed at the last minute on an arranged marriage to a viscount, the earl was furious. He coerced her into making a solemn promise about her future, and banished her to his country estate, far away from society. Every request Loretta made to visit town or a friend has been soundly rejected by the earl, and after several years, she has come to terms with her lot in life. Though Paxton lives there as well, he regularly leaves to visit friends and spends time in town, at least, as much as his small allowance from the earl allows. Loretta is surprised when...

See Full Review

I enjoyed the characters very much. Their personality quirks came through with a fun sense of humor. The backstories that brought Hawk and Loretta together are from a refreshing point of view. I thought it was sad that Loretta had accepted the undeserved shame and banishment from society that was foisted on her by her Uncle.
I don't particularly care for a lust at first sight plot, but I still enjoyed this book because that wasn't the main motivation to drive the story. Hawk wants to arrange a marriage between his sister and Loretta's brother and the two have never even met. Loretta wants Paxton to enjoy getting to know many young ladies and choosing a bride he loves. The...

See Full Review
4.5 Stars - I really enjoyed the first book in this series, so I jumped at the chance to read the second. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the banter between Hawk and Loretta, which started off right away.  The secondary characters were good and I would love to watch Farley grow up a bit more and possibly have a story of his own one day.

Ms. Grey has an easy to read writing style, which I truly enjoy. Her wit is fun and her characters are well developed. I will continue to look for books by her.

** I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review**

~Paragraphs and Petticoats~
Enjoyable and easy to read, with a fast-moving plot and entertaining characters.
Lately I'm reading more often historical romances.This one was one of the ones that I couldn't wait to start reading! Hawk was intrigued with Loretta at the start. He was not used to anyone being so resistant to his wishes, especially that of a woman.I really enjoyed the main characters!This is a story of instant-lust. The two main characters are instantly drawn to each other upon meeting. The romance itself is interesting the banter between the two main characters was fun !

Despite being the second in the series, you don’t need to read the first to enjoy this novel.

Overall, the novel wasn’t terrible. I am not a fan of insta-lust nor people contradicting their morals with their actions. While there was chemistry between the leads, the insta-lust factor put me off. The erotic scenes were also a bit tame for my tastes. Filled with innuendos instead of being straightforward, I feel the erotic scenes would be more suited for someone who is put off but more vulgar language.

I also wasn’t a fan of the author’s writing style in general. Some part seems too long, dragging out unnecessarily or was just too flowery.

Bottom line, this is a historical romance meant...

See Full Review

As the guardian to his sweet, younger sister, Lady Adele, Hawk, the Duke of Hawksthorn is in a bind for his youthful misdeeds. Due to his past as one of the infamous Rakes of St James, Hawk is hoping to avoid the Season by securing a match for his sister before it begins. He has the perfect gentleman in mind, but for one infuriating―and unexpectedly intoxicating―obstacle: the intended groom’s sister, Miss Loretta Quick.

Loretta caused a scandal of great magnitude when she refused at the last moment - at the altar - to wed a nobleman her uncle had selected for her. Loretta is determined that her dear brother―a gentle, good-natured soul―should marry for love. Matching wits with Hawk may...

See Full Review
An okay regency romance. I had a hard time getting through this one. It just wasn't as engaging as it could be. The characters seemed to have no problem throwing their values out the window and their actions didn't match what was going on in their heads. I just couldn't connect with this story but it wasn't terrible. I just wanted and expected more feels.

ARC provided by NetGalley.