To the Duke, With Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Dec 2017

Part 2 of  a trio of books about eligible and handsome dukes.  I did enjoy this book. I gave it a 4 star rating because I had a couple of moments where the lead female, Loretta, did not ring quite true to my picture of what her character was like.

I have voluntarily posted a review consisting of my honest opinions.
Well written and an enjoyable story. I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more by this author.
This is the second story in The Rakes of St. James series and I found this one very hard to finish reading it. The reason for it are not just anachronisms, because sometimes I’ll overlook them if the story is strong and characters relatable and likable. But in this story, I found the hero and heroine just a bit short of cartoonish.

Sorry to say that I’m not recommending this one.

Melanie for b2b

To the Duke, With Love is the second sensuous installment of Amelia Grey’s red-hot new series The Rakes of St. James.

Sloane Knox, Duke of Hawksthorn, loathes the Season and the Ton. He has neither the time nor the inclination for the tedious social whirl, but as he is the guardian of his younger sister, he is charged with finding a suitable husband for his innocent sibling. Sloane is determined to avoid the Season at all costs, and as luck would have it, he thinks he has found the perfect man for his sister to marry. He thinks that he has solved his quandary without needing to once set foot in a ballroom or attend another tedious social occasion, however, he hadn’t counted on an...

See Full Review

To the Duke, With Love is the second installment in the Rakes of St. James series. I am so excited to get to read Hawk’s story.

Sloane Knox, the Duke of Hawksthorn aka Hawk as he is known to family and friends finds himself with the duty of finding his sister a husband and quickly before something happens to ruin his sister as she comes to her first season. That is what takes Hawk to the door of the Mr. Paxton Quick, he has been keeping up this this young man and has decided he was the perfect match for his sister. What Hawk did not figure into his plan was meeting the stunning and quite witty Miss. Quick.

Lady Loretta Quick has some experience with an arranged marriage against one’s...

See Full Review
I really really enjoyed this. The writing was excellent and the hero and heroine were great. I liked that he wanted to help her escape from the life her Uncle had forced on her. To the Duke, with Love was an excellent continuation of the Rakes of St. James series with a delightful romance between an outspoken heroine and a charming, rakish hero.
This is an lust-to-love kind of story. The romance is there, and I love the witty banter, but I absolutely could NOT get past the fact that it read like a modern romance with a few historical facts thrown in. It wasn't authentic, and I just couldn't get as engrossed into the story as I normally do with historical romances.
I found this story quite pleasant. It's a sweet story about a strong-willed woman and one of society's known rakes. The descriptions of the setting are detailed and vivid. The dialogue matches the character's expected speaking patterns. Overall, the story is solid.
Unfortunately, the plot is flat and the pacing slow. I kept expecting a kidnap attempt or some active plot movement.
I have always been a fan of historical romance and this book is another credit to the why. It is beautifully written, very intriguing, and a scandal for the ages. I have to say, I am quite curious as to who Honoria is though. I am so glad Loretta and Hawk found their happily ever after and he has given up his rakish ways. I think they will have a long and happy life together.

To the Duke, with Love is the second book in The Rakes of St. James series from Amelia Grey, but the very first book I've read by Amelia Grey. I absolutely adored her voice, so I'm already looking at her backlist for when I'm caught up a bit more on my TBR list.

Loretta Quick might just be one of my favorite historical characters ever. She made no apologies for her choices in life and had pretty much decided her fate was to remain at her uncle's hunting home for the rest of her life as penance for ending her engagement right as the wedding was to begin. She also will protect anyone she cares for from being forced into an arranged marriage if at all possible.

Enter the...

See Full Review
I have read this author before and enjoyed her just fine, but this is a DID NOT FINISH for me. It was very uncomfortable how the male lead character was written-his thoughts on the heroine and why he found her attractive were bordering on the creepy and not romantic at all. The writing was off and juvenile also. I'm not sure I would recommend this one to anyone.
First of all this was absolutely adorable. I do not mean in a cheesy way like “oh how cute” when you think of tiny baby ducklings (don’t know why I thought of ducks but I did) but in a this makes my heart so happy kind of way.
The beginning bickering and bantering between our soon to be love interests is vivid, imaginative, and entertaining. Loretta is feisty, strong willed, and courageous. The Duke of Hawksthorn is stubborn, sly, and boisterous.
The ebb and flow is a romantic adventure full of life and quick witted fights of wills. I recommend this for pretty much anyone who likes historical romance.

This is the second book in the Rakes of St. James series. I read the first book and enjoyed it quite a bit, so I was expecting so much from this next book. It fell flat for me. The obvious insta-lust was so strong, it didn't even read right in this historical romance setting. I did not get the feeling that the primary couple actually fell in love with one another. "I want you" is not the same as "I love you." Additionally, there was a great imbalance of financials, which rubs me the wrong way with that type of power play.

Sloane Knox, Duke of Hawksthorn, is one of the three Rakes of St. James who played a prank on a dozen debutantes a decade ago. Following last...

See Full Review

Wanting to avoid potential gossip and ruination for his younger sister Adele, Sloane Knox finds what he feels is a perfect match for her in Paxton Quick. His sister Loretta, however, is determined to allow Paxton to marry for love. She had spurned a marriage to a nobleman years before rather than live without love, so trying to change her mind is a challenge that Sloane (better known as Hart throughout the novel) is only too willing to take up.

This is part of the Rakes of St. James trilogy, but it's not necessary to have read the others in the series to enjoy this one. There is the inclusion of London's underbelly in this one, though it's tangential to the romance and not...

See Full Review

Loretta was a kind soul that just did not want her brother to be subjected to the same fate that almost captured her and pushed her in to a vow that she felt trapped by. Loretta was very much faith based. Not so much that she was devout in her beliefs or action. She just took her vow very seriously. Even when love came her ways. She was willing to deny happiness because of her vow. She finds a man that she can match witts with and a challenge, Hawk. Hawk was a challenge to Loretta as she was to him. Hawk wanted Loretta's brother to become betrothed to his younger sister. He did not want fortune hunters to descend on her for her coming out season.

This by far was not a steamy read...

See Full Review
This one was like 2 love stories in one book. Though Hawk was looking for a marriage match for his sister he ends up finding one for himself as well as saving Loretta from the lifetime of loneliness that awaits her. I don't know what it is about these St. James Rakes, whether its the book that caused them to become the Rakes of St. James or how each of the Rakes themselves are is a mystery to me. But I look forward to find out what happens with the last one of the Rakes.
I absolutely loved Sloane and Loretta's story!! I really love stories where the H/H meet in an unexpected way and are able to get to know each other without the watchful eye of the ton. In fact most of the story was away from anyone but family and that was a nice change of pace. I'm very excited for the last book in the Rakes of St. James series to come out in May, but I'm going to miss these 3 handsome rakes!
This was not a bad read. The romance is hijacked in favour of the side story of the heroine and a young boy she rescues.  The book is well written and fans of Amelia Grey will enjoy it.  I am looking forward to her next novel.

The second book of the Rakes of St. James series, To the Duke, With Love, is a great second story that could be read as a stand-alone. It wasn't as good as the first one but it was still good. Aside from me just not liking Sloane as a boys name, blame Ferris Bueller for that, I liked this book.The few books of Amelia Grey's that I have read I have enjoyed. This one was amusing and entertaining and if I hadn't gotten sick while reading it and a sleep most the time I probably would have finished this book in one day.

The Rakes of St. James earned their name after a youthful drunken bet almost ruined a handful of girls, and now that their younger sister's are coming out...

See Full Review
Characters had very weak motivations. Had a hard time suspending common sense solutions for this one. It was just an ok read.I believe.